Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2021, 17:43   #61
BHPian

Re: VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by akashnagrani View Post
I am in the exact same place as you are. Looking to add another car to the garage with my superb Polo which is now 8 years old and has 1 Lac KM under its belt . I am keen on the Tiguan or Octavia to serve the needs of my growing family.
I am also confused between Jeep Compass Diesel Automatic OTR of 32 L vs the Tiguan which will be launched. All my current cars have been from VW and have had good ownership experience. The 9 speed ZF sourced TC gear box has been Jeep Compass pain point. This issue is further accentuated by non availability of the paddle shifters or sports mode . When you compare this with DSG of VW which is notches above in terms of performance it makes me confused (Both ZF 9 speed gear box and DSG have problems so I am not treading into that zone) Further, the car comes with paddle shifters and a Sports mode which is boon on high way overtaking's. If this is priced OTR 30 L its going to be a no brainer is what I am thinking. The delay in Compass delivery has further added to the confusion. Jeep should have used the 8 speed TC gear box, which is an universally successful gear box on the Compass
Old 2nd May 2021, 18:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
When you compare this with DSG of VW which is notches above in terms of performance it makes me confused (Both ZF 9 speed gear box and DSG have problems so I am not treading into that zone) Further, the car comes with paddle shifters and a Sports mode which is boon on high way overtaking's.
If you are used to VW DSGs then I would request you to wait for the Tiguan. I faced the same issues when I drove the auto Diesel Compass. My auto driving benchmark has been the Octavia 1.8 TSI and when I first drove the Compass I was so disappointed. Not writing off the car entirely though but do wait for the VW if you can.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 06:46   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Can't wait for VW to launch this at 39 lacs!

No but seriously, I think a 25 lac price point will be closer to sanity.
Still pricey but maybe VW can build on its German heritage and design to attract a premium over a Compass or Tucson.
The T-Roc at 21.5L and Karooq at 24.5 L (both being CBUs and 1.5 L engines), dont know if VW can price Tiguan 5 seater, 2L TSI motor at 25L. If they price it they have a chance to give a good fight in the premium SUV market. Pls note the prices I have mentioned are MSRP. We may need to add INR 5-6 L depending on which state we live in
Old 3rd May 2021, 08:37   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am also confused between Jeep Compass Diesel Automatic OTR of 32 L vs the Tiguan which will be launched.
The Tiguan would be the better buy of the two if it gets launched at around 30 lacs ex-showroom (35-36 lakhs on-road). Besides the points you mentioned, the Tiguan is way more spacious. However, it will only be available in the Petrol guise. So if you are into frequent highway drives, be prepared for significantly lower fuel efficiency and possibly lower driving range as compared to the Compass.

The after sales experience of both brands are passé. Hopefully VW will improve this aspect with the India 2.0 strategy being rolled out and significantly higher volumes going forward. In the case of Jeep, the Fiat arm is nearly dead. I just tried to get my mother’s Punto serviced and found out that my regular Fiat dealer had closed down. There is now only one Fiat dealer in all of Chennai! - that too, all the way out in Poonamallee. There are limited prospects for significant volume growth, even with Jeep now being part of Stellantis, I don’t see a near-term broadening of the portfolio, with the Citroen C5 Aircross bombing in the market. So After Sales Service is something to consider carefully. VW has more dealerships and service outlets across Chennai than Jeep.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 3rd May 2021 at 08:57.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 10:29   #65

Quote:
I am also confused between Jeep Compass Diesel Automatic OTR of 32 L vs the Tiguan which will be launched.
- I was quite excited by the new Jeep Compass at first. However, after reading multiple reviews, I figured that the driving experience is not going to compare to that of a VW. I haven't taken a TD of the Compass yet, which I will do once I can take a TD of the Tiguan back to back to make a better comparison. Considering that both the launches have been postponed, not sure when that is going to be, though
akashnagrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 10:45   #66
BHPian

I did take the test drive of the Compass automatic Diesel. The vehicle itself is well put together and is quite luxurious in the top trim (I am a sucker for ventilated seats).

But even driving around the city, I felt it had no urgency whatsoever. Not sure if it is the transmission but overall, I'd buy it purely as a highway cruiser (which is not my style of highway driving).
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:15   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Agree it is early days yet, and this is based on MID mileage, but my Tiguan Allspace is giving about 10-15% lower mileage than my X3 on similar Parel to BKC runs. Am getting about 9.7-10 kmpl on my X3 runs, while I am getting about 8.2-9 kmpl on my Tiguan runs..
I do genuinely love the Tiguan and even the new Kodiaq, in principle. Was just browsing some videos and as per this review from ACI, it seems the Tiguan Allspace MID was showing a FE around 6.2 kmpl, that too on the highway. Now its probably down to reviewers just driving it aggressively but it is exactly that drastic drop in FE that is a bit of a concern with these high end petrol engines. Not to mention that in my experience (which is admittedly outdated to my 2009 MY Civic automatic) as the years passed the FE had dropped even further. Getting patchy FE from 6 - 9 kmpl vs consistent efficiency in the 9-10 kmpl range can create an almost 25-30% delta in fuel economy even if I ignore price difference of the fuel itself, which about 8-10%.

On an unrelated note, may I ask how did you go about choosing between the Kodiaq and the Allspace? Any pros and cons if you considered both the options? Keen to know your selection perspective since you’ve owned both the Superb and Vento in the past so had experience with both brands before choosing the VW.

Thanks

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd May 2021 at 13:16.
Old 3rd May 2021, 14:42   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I do genuinely love the Tiguan and even the new Kodiaq, in principle. Was just browsing some videos and as per this review from ACI, it seems the Tiguan Allspace MID was showing a FE around 6.2 kmpl, that too on the highway. Now its probably down to reviewers just driving it aggressively but it is exactly that drastic drop in FE that is a bit of a concern with these high end petrol engines. Not to mention that in my experience (which is admittedly outdated to my 2009 MY Civic automatic) as the years passed the FE had dropped even further. Getting patchy FE from 6 - 9 kmpl vs consistent efficiency in the 9-10 kmpl range can create an almost 25-30% delta in fuel economy even if I ignore price difference of the fuel itself, which about 8-10%.

Thanks
The fuel efficiency of the Tiguan is not simply because of aggressive driving, a normal petrol would also be affected by load, both passengers/luggage and AC. This is a characteristic of petrol and no amount of technology can change it. More evidence for the dreadful fuel economy of turbocharged petrol is available on this forum. The 1.8tsi Superb manual returned around 33l/100km during the official review, autocar India's porsche cayenne turbo review has a brief shot of the fuel consumption which is also at 33l/100km. The cayenne owner won't feel the pinch, I don't think the superb owner would be too happy with the situation.

The choice of engine for petrol should be the large one, unlike diesel the fuel economy delta between a 2 litre and 3 litre petrol is reasonable,most cases it's negligible. A good example of a smaller engine in a large car being expensive to run is the MG Hector petrol, the trade-off being, you get a large car at a relatively low price.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 15:54   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The fuel efficiency of the Tiguan is not simply because of aggressive driving, a normal petrol would also be affected by load, both passengers/luggage and AC. .
All valid points. My post was arising from some of the trailing messages on the same subject. The thrust of my post was not really on why they're inefficient / potentially inefficient but principally on whether the annual fuel cost delta (between a diesel and petrol SUV in that segment for a certain amount of running) is indeed in the INR 18 - 20k range or could it potentially be much worse simply because the petrol car would be a lot more volatile in the efficiency it delivers.
Old 3rd May 2021, 18:09   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
patchy FE from 6 - 9 kmpl vs consistent efficiency in the 9-10 kmpl range can create an almost 25-30% delta in fuel economy even if I ignore price difference of the fuel itself, which about 8-10%.

On an unrelated note, may I ask how did you go about choosing between the Kodiaq and the Allspace?
You are right in saying that fuel efficiency for petrols in bumper to bumper traffic drops off sharply. But I have found the same happening with my X3 as well - perhaps because of the AC load needed to cool a larger greenhouse than in the case of a sedan. My fuel efficiency with the X3 has improved considerably now that I use the BKC connector and don’t get stuck either in Dharavi or on LBS Road. My guess is the fuel efficiency difference for a similar driving style will at worst be 20% if not the 10-15% I have experienced so far, not the 25-30% you are fearing.

On the Allspace VS Kodiaq - well only the Allspace was available in February when I was making my purchase decision. So it was Hobson’s choice. And I did get a good discount as well, which induced me to upgrade from the Seltos - Compass range that I had been looking at (still more than 65% costlier than a Seltos of course).
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 10:44   #71
BHPian

This thread hasn’t seen any updates for a while. Anyone any any idea what’s the revised launch date for the Tiguan. It was May, then I read it’s june, after june no rumors or updates.
Eagerly waiting for this car. I hope they price it well.
Old 7th July 2021, 12:36   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troika View Post
This thread hasn’t seen any updates for a while. Anyone any any idea what’s the revised launch date for the Tiguan. It was May, then I read it’s june, after june no rumors or updates.
Eagerly waiting for this car. I hope they price it well.
All I could see finally was 1 post on Twitter yesterday for Tiguan from VW (just regular register your interest stuff) and that too carrying a pic of R line variant of Tiguan (with clear disclaimer ). I have been checking once each month with dealer here in Pune, but my last call couple of days back gave me the same old response- "No Update". All I could get was, VW is is busy with Taigun launch (possibly this month or next) and there's not even a word on Tiguan. In all probability, even VW isn't sure yet on launch date/month and hence a complete silence on it.
cloudno19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 18:12   #73
BHPian

I had expressed my interest through their website. absolutely no update or even a call back from VW. I wonder if they are even serious about selling this car in India.
Old 20th July 2021, 20:18   #74
BHPian

Fellow BHPians, I am considering to place an unofficial booking for 5 seater Tiguan (due to an auspicious time for me - Home ministry) with B.U. Bhandari Pune, but I have few questions around this and need your help, inputs and any experience around this process-
  • What are the key differences between placing Normal booking and Unofficial Booking?
  • Are there any risks involved?
  • Can a dealer dupe me for entire/part booking amount?
  • Can a dealer force me to purchase me the vehicle in case I wish to cancel my booking for any reason- don't like the car, doesn't fit my budget?
  • What kind of documentation can I expect for unofficial booking?
  • Would dealer document the terms of my booking? for ex. Full refund no questions asked, flexibility to purchase insurance from outside
  • Any risks/unpleasant experiences with specific dealer (B.U. Bhandari- Pune)?

This is the first time I would be trying this out, but don't want to pressure myself into something if it involves unnecessary risks and more than that if it leads to any unpleasant experiences (I generally avoid getting into situations of arguments). I have tried searching for a thread that can offer some information/experiences around this, but unfortunately I could find none.

Look forward to your responses.

@Moderators: Please feel free to move my post to any relevant thread as deemed appropriate.
Old 20th July 2021, 20:53   #75

Finally called up the dealer in Gurgaon asking if the Tiguan was due anytime soon, after getting a standard reply for the twitter handle of Volkswagen India, (" Please do keep an eye on our social media channels or website for all the latest updates."

The dealer said the Taigun would be launched would be launched later this month or early next month and would be priced similarly around the Kushaq which is expected of course, but the Tiguan would be launched around mid-September and would be priced around 28-Lakh for the base trim level.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks