Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2021, 14:59   #121
BHPian

Re: VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Volkswagen Tiguan facelift India launch in November

- The five-seat Tiguan facelift is going to be locally assembled and will be a petrol-only model
- 190hp, 2.0 TSI engine and AWD will come as standard
- It will get a tweaked interior and updated features list

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ovember-422170
As per article it is expected to be priced in the range of Rs 26-29 lakh (ex-showroom).

At identical price point why would one pick Octavia over Tiguan?

There will be cannibalization of Octavia unless there is price revision.
Old 30th September 2021, 15:58   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
As per article it is expected to be priced in the range of Rs 26-29 lakh (ex-showroom).
IMHO, the Tiguan will be pitted against the likes of a 5-seater crossover/SUV like the Tucson, Citroen or the Compass and not the Octavia.
Unless, one is shopping keeping only the price in mind, these cars (Tiguan & Octavia) will fight for varying customers' preferences.
If we look 1 segment below, then the analogy of a Honda City vs the Creta comes to my mind.
Old 30th September 2021, 16:18   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
IMHO, the Tiguan will be pitted against the likes of a 5-seater crossover/SUV like the Tucson, Citroen or the Compass and not the Octavia.
Unless, one is shopping keeping only the price in mind, these cars (Tiguan & Octavia) will fight for varying customers' preferences.
If we look 1 segment below, then the analogy of a Honda City vs the Creta comes to my mind.
Price segment of 20-30L is still wide open on today date. This is where it’s direct competition to compass and Tucson. Citroen is hardly selling any units. All competitors have diesel as USP and more units sell from that bucket where as this will be petrol only model.

If one sticks to the family VW and Skoda at that price point it is straight forward overlapping each other shoes. There is no denying the fact one may end up cross evaluating both.

If one has budget of 25 lakhs ex showroom for a petrol only vehicle then will definitely end up comparing either ways.
Old 1st October 2021, 10:35   #124
BHPian

Quote:

If, as the article suggests, it comes with AWD as standard, then it will comfortable be priced a few lakhs above the Octavia.
Old 1st October 2021, 10:49   #125
R_R
BHPian

My feeling is that the Tiguan 5-seater will have to be priced well below the Allspace's 34 L; otherwise, they may not have too many takers. So I would expect Tiguan to be priced around 30L. Moreover, the new Kodiaq may also be coming in around 34L. I don't think VW would want to price the 5-seat Tiguan too close to the 7-seat Kodiaq either.
Old 1st October 2021, 11:00   #126
BHPian

Have been monitoring all the updates regarding the Tiguan for nearly a year now. Price speculation has been over a large band for sure, from 26 to 36 or so ex showroom. Thought a more practical price would be around 30-31. Easier to digest.
Does anyone know if VW has started pre bookings for the Tiguan?
Old 1st October 2021, 11:43   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troika View Post
Thought a more practical price would be around 30-31. Easier to digest.
Does anyone know if VW has started pre bookings for the Tiguan?
Even with CKD tax benefits how much of this will be passed to customers against offset rising input cost ?

Even if Volkswagen gets very aggressive with pricing unless couple of variants are on offer it would be hard to get under 27 lakhs exshowroom.

No pre-booking at Hyderabad. Though a dealer in another state did say that they are accepting booking.

It's not going to fly off shelves. It doesn't add any value to keep your money stuck with pre-booking. Wait and watch and as it gets closer to launch you can take the call.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 18:48   #128
Senior - BHPian

The facelifted Tiguan now up on VW India site.

Headline says "Skip Boring"

VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-screenshot-20211001-6.36.03-pm.png

VW to launch Tiguan 5-seater SUV in 2021-screenshot-20211001-6.36.38-pm.png

To register your interest:-
https://www.volkswagen.co.in/app/sit...your-interest/
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 22:32   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
The facelifted Tiguan now up on VW India site.

Headline says "Skip Boring"
The upcoming 5-seater Tiguan has been on the VW India website for a few months now.

Last edited by Anjadekar : 1st October 2021 at 22:43. Reason: Edited for clarity
Anjadekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 22:59   #130
Senior - BHPian

As far as I can see, the updates include -
new headlights, DRLs, tail lights
ambient lighting
digital speedo console/cockpit
touch controls for AC ( I personally hate these)
new alloys (old ones looked better I feel)

Honestly, the changes are so minimal that it's hard to call this an upgrade. Not sure if I am missing something. I wish they would have at least provided the R-line or some nicer alloys.

I hope they price this sensibly. If they price it close to 30L or higher, this is pretty much dead on arrival.
Old 1st October 2021, 23:06   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
The upcoming 5-seater Tiguan has been on the VW India website for a few months now.
I concur on this. In fact it is listed on Volkswagen website from May or June onwards this year. Including list of all features. Most interesting was the sliding bench. This will allow additional leg room in back seat.

Pandemic pushed the initial launch date and it was supposed to launch August, but again powers high up in the chain thought the nomenclature of Taigun and Tiguan will confuse people (this is on record by Ashish Gupta) or may be looking at Tiguan interior and build folks will have same expectations for Taigun hence safely moved dates further.
Old 1st October 2021, 23:15   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I hope they price this sensibly. If they price it close to 30L or higher, this is pretty much dead on arrival.
Initial understanding was it will be bought only in one variant Highline.

Being a CKD i do expect some benefit being passed to customer. There are only 2 price points that they will position it.

Either it will undercut Octavia L&K by some margin (between style and L&K variant of Octavia there is 3 lakh difference) it is a sweet spot or can be placed higher than L&K.

Strategy wise HQ will not allow prices to step on each other shoes.

Remember it is a 5% market share for group. They will count each and every unit that gets sold.

Discount will be interesting aspect, albeit few months later. Please repeat Tiguan Allspace
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:10   #133
BHPian

Quote:

Either it will undercut Octavia L&K by some margin (between style and L&K variant of Octavia there is 3 lakh difference) it is a sweet spot or can be placed higher than L&K.
I would be very surprised if Tiguan undercuts the Octavia. Traditionally SUVs are more expensive than sedans of the same class. Moreover, it has the same engine (and possibly an all wheel drive). Lastly for similar cars VWs are more expensive than Skodas (exception:Taigun).
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:19   #134
Senior - BHPian

It wouldn’t undercut Octavia. Infact it would be costlier than Octavia similar to previous gen of both the cars.
Old 2nd October 2021, 13:02   #135
BHPian

It will be around 30 lakhs exshowroom then. Why not pick Jeep in diesel avatar than Tiguan petrol?

Karoq pricing would be a better comparison. Apart from 4WD (not being Quattro) what is the major change? Why should it cost 30 lakhs for CKD?

Issue with pricing is that it is going to be lot expensive on road. Volkswagen would surely like to sell more before Kodiaq hits market. Though it’s a different segment vehicle, there could few folks who will be willing to stretch budget.

Quite a folks have got and AUDI A4 40 Lakhs OTR. Personally if the price gap is 3 to 4 lakhs between Tiguan and Audi, I will always pick up Audi.

Also competition here is Jeep & Tucson petrol variants. None of them are retailing at such high exshowroom prices. A certain premium of CKD is expected vs local manufacturing, but not a huge price gap.

Tiguan All space is still listed on Volkswagen website. Only possible logic not to remove is that it will be in the roadmap of future products. If this is the case there needs to be sensible price gap between 5 & 7 seater.

Hope Volkswagen will try to sell more of flagship products with sensible pricing rather than commanding a huge premium and discount it later.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks