Old 24th August 2021, 14:09   #61
BHPian

Re: Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021

Polo is still a better driver's car.
viren83 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 14:24   #62
BHPian

The car looks nice. The DCT gear knob looks yummy. Overall the car offers much more than the sticker and paint job but can Hyundai price is sensibily?

The current i20 is already overpriced by a few lakhs and the N Line i20 will command a premium of at least a lakh which will be overkill. I guess this will be a limited release for Hyundai.

Hyundai should probably bring the N Line for Verna and Elantra which is not very crowded.
Old 24th August 2021, 14:27   #63
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 N Line interior closeup shots.

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-fb_img_1629795355885.jpg

N branding on Gear lever and front seats

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-fb_img_1629795360698.jpg

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-fb_img_1629795363921.jpg

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-fb_img_1629795366887.jpg

DCT gets Paddle Shifters

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-fb_img_1629795370463.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 24th August 2021 at 14:30.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 14:46   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Comes shod with Ceat Securadrive tyres, and yet, they are shameless enough to claim that it was honed in the Nurburgring.
Not to forget the iMT transmission instead of a manual!

Way more show than go, for a car that does 0 to 100 in a claimed 9.9 seconds (mostly real world number will be in 10.xx seconds), and is mostly based on safety-compromised underpinnings!

Anyways - will need to wait for reviews to see if that suspension does manage to bring in some magic.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th August 2021 at 14:58.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 14:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

For the enthusiast, the DCT is a no brainer. The iMT will definitely be more laggy that the DCT especially as the DCT comes with paddle shift.

It's a good start. At least manufacturers are slowly veering round to giving substantial mechanical upgrades to their sport options like better brakes, sport suspension and sporty sounding exhausts. Ford was the only manufacturer that did this consistently in the past.

Manual would have been sweet but it's obvious that they are gunning for the Polo GT TSI consumer and this certainly closes the gap. Pricing would be key. I am not sure that the market is ready for a 15 lakh hatch. I would say 13 onroad is the max they can practically price it at to do decent volumes.

I'll hold out for the full fat N version.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 15:02   #66
BHPian

And we have a "hot" hatch with 120 HP launch happening when an Indian tractor manufacturer just unveiled a 200HP 5 seater SUV capable of hitting almost 200 KMPH in the same price bracket.

Hope people think multiple times before they blindly go for this "Hot" hatch
Sk8r is online now   (68) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 15:04   #67
BHPian

A small step towards a hot hatch from Hyundai. It will not sell much I feel, it will not satisfy the target audience who would have loved a manual with this setup. At max they can hope for some spillover crowd from the regular i20 buyers who may get swayed by the new kit.

Personally, I would love to own a hot hatch some day with all the gizmos and a crisp manual gearbox. Till now it has always been a functional hatch like a Santo, Grand i10, Ignis.

Sadly our city roads are not in great shape to enjoy a performance hatch to the fullest, plus the market size for such buyers is likely to be very small. In Bangalore, there is a new found craze for having concrete roads all over the city and it is not really great fun to drive on it. Nothing comes close to a fine quality of a tarmac.
ZB86 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 15:32   #68
BHPian

I feel that Hyundai is trying to take a dig at the "hot hatch" segment with the I20 N Line. The Polo GT TSI has been the undisputed champion of this segment and has always been a favourite. But, the age of the car is slowly starting to be felt. Hyundai seems to try to attract prospective customers by offering a vehicle which does not match the Polo in terms of build quality, but definitely surpasses it in terms of features, dealer network and after sales service.

Thanks.
Old 24th August 2021, 15:51   #69
BHPian

Looks like its all show and no go. The suspension is pretty jacked up for a performance oriented vehicle. The only benefit that can't be easily done via aftermarket are the disc brakes. The suspension and exhaust note are something that Polo tuners churn out by the dozens everyday. In all, it looks pretty aftermarket if you ask me. The only thing missing is a rear wing for that added downforce on the Ring.
Old 24th August 2021, 16:03   #70
BHPian

Seems like someone from MSIL has now joined Hyundai. A little paint and polish some garish colour, minimum mechanical tweaks and voila "N-Line".

This is sad, N-Line abroad actually stands for a proper out and out performance model. The International i20 N offers 200 BHP (275 out a new engine coming out in 2022) out from a 1.6 litre turbocharged engine. A dual couple torsion beam suspension and tighter steering ratio.

This is nothing but a nip and tuck job to make a model look better. Just have a look at the Veloster N reviews, that car is a beast, just like the Focus ST. It's not like Hyundai can't do better, but why bother when you just skate by with the bare minimum. I don't care if the XUV700 pricing is just clickbait or introductory, it shows as to how most others are skimming profits while doing nothing extraordinary.

Last edited by shady_lawyer : 24th August 2021 at 16:07.
shady_lawyer is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:39   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
Seems like someone from MSIL has now joined Hyundai. A little paint and polish some garish colour, minimum mechanical tweaks and voila "N-Line".
The N Line is like what M Sport is to BMW and the company has done exactly that ! The N Series car are not feasible for market like India at the moment, we all know what happened with the GTi and vRS.
For a N Line with a tighter chassis, additional safety kit and Paddle shifts, if the company prices it sanely, the car would definitely be worth the money.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th August 2021 at 20:20. Reason: Quote trimmed.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:45   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viren83 View Post
Polo is still a better driver's car.
Hold your horses! The Polo may be an accomplished car but no one has ever driven the N-line version to conclusively say it's worse.

The new i20 is supposed to be close to the dynamics of the Polo. I'd wait for the extended test drive since critical components have been retuned.
Turbohead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:45   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting there, but not yet. I seriously doubt whether they will even bring in the fully blown N model here. That will be super expensive. But let's hope they add more upgrades to the N line editions.

Glad they added some useful additions unlike Maruti special editions. Wish they had launched this in their "Performance Blue" color. That's a looker.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:47   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
The N Series car are not feasible for market like India at the moment, we all know what happened with the GTi and vRS.
The VRS 230 at 25L & GTI at 16-18L (both ex-showroom) were lapped up by enthusiasts. It was only the atrociously priced VRS 245 & the GTI at it's original price which had trouble moving off the showroom floors.

Fact is that Hyundai will not only create a nice halo for itself with a proper i20 N, but also sell it in reasonable numbers if they can price it aggressively. But when sunroofs, wireless chargers & air purifiers are bringing in the moolah, why would they bother with the real i20 N?
d3mon is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 17:07   #75
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 N Line takes on the Gata Loops in Ladakh.

Official TVC
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks