Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 17:18   #106
BHPian

Re: Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021

Makes sense ONLY if the OTR is below 11 lacs. Otherwise an eye watering waste of resources!!!
If I have to pay close to 15 lacs for a hatchback, why wouldn't I buy a Polo?? Better build quality and comparable driving dynamics and power.
Why wouldn't I buy a bigger car?

I don't understand who makes these decisions. I think this happens when the top management of companies are not car enthusiasts themselves (IMHO)
Old 25th August 2021, 17:18   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Hyundai i20 N-Line in Polar White.

Attachment 2197525
This has to be one of the better looking alloys in the market now. I like the notches along the sides of the spokes - seems to be a reference to the holes along the spokes of the current optional M performance alloys.

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-bmwmwheelsgreencolor664x830.jpg

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 17:20   #108
BHPian

I drive a 2016 GT TSI (1.2 TSI + DSG combo). I love driving this car but it has its shortcomings. VW has done cost cutting in 2 areas that just compromises the whole driving experience: Brakes and Suspension. Brakes shuddering is a common problem in GT TSIs and the suspension is noisy, not-comfortable and prone to minor failures.

That's why I really appreciate Hyundai bringing out the N-line with not just cosmetic upgrades but changes to the brakes and suspension. It will be only after some driving reviews that we will get to know how much improvement the all 4 discs and suspension has made to the overall driving experience but still this is a step in the right direction. Powerful engines and fast transmissions are enjoyable only when the brakes are confidence inspiring and the suspension is good!
anshumandun is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 18:02   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
May be you can not improve on perfection!!
Jokes apart, VW bought in the Polo with 1.8TSI engine and GT badge. But the price was over 20 L and market as expected did not show excitement. The Polo manual which was released in 2011 also had a 1.6 L engine which was discontinued for reasons best known to them. I have used the 1.6L Polo and was happy with the performance. Having said that, Hyundai has worked on its product engineering over the years and has given the market the what it would accept and you cant take that from Hyundai. But quality comes at a price and ROI. They cant give European quality at MUL prices
From that argument, No automaker should release a new generation of a successful product? Honda should have continued with 1997 CITY, Hyundai should have continued selling 2016 Creta, Omni should have been well Omnipresent!

My issue with POLO is that this particular model had a generation change back in 2017 worldwide, but VW continued to discount Indians with their older gen model (and kept on increasing its prices too). Also, if Polo is such a par excellence product, then why a newer gen model was launched internationally?

2008 Honda City is still being produced in Pakistan and the current-gen remains a distant dream for them, same for the original 2005 Swift and M800. Just like how VW and Suzuki are treating Pakistan with older gen models, VW treats us with their Polo. Heck, even Vento saw a gen change in Brazil.

Coming to Polo GTI you mentioned, that was a CBU and direct rival to I20N. Hopefully, that is brought here too.

Coming to Europeans vs Koreans on the quality that you mentioned- Europeans are not the best in business. The emission scandal is a serious dent and a fraud, nothing less. Plus, innumerable DSG issues coupled with inferior quality of materials in Kushaq and Taigun- all these show compromising attitude which even Europeans can display. Hyundai at least changed I20 3 times along with a consistent increase in space, features, and engine options over the years. It may not be the last word in quality but at least it is not the same car that someone bought in 2008.

The i20 (design, engine, transmission, and features wise) is similar to what your friend will buy in UK. That wouldn't be the case with the VW POLO.
AMG1 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 19:20   #110
MrA
BHPian

WOW, N line PERFORMANCE model with 120hp! So fast! Do they think people in this country have no perception of horsepower? Even the slow hatches or SUVs have way more horsepower in other parts of the world. Veloster N makes 275hp. How are they making 0-100kmph in 10 seconds as a major highlight of the launch?
For reference, in US and Canada, a base Hyundai Ascent has ~140hp, base Honda Jazz has 130hp. I know there is a difference in roads and safety but that doesn't justify a performance model with mere 120hp.
MrA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 19:56   #111
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 N-Line to be launched on 2nd September.

Variant-wise Features and Powertrain details revealed.

N6

Quote:
1-litre turbo-petrol with 6-speed iMT

The N6 is the lower-level trim in the i20 N Line’s lineup. It comes equipped with :

- Halogen headlamps

- LED tail lamps

- 16-inch alloys wheels with N branding

- Digital instrument display

- 8-inch infotainment system with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

- Six-speaker sound system (four speakers and two tweeters)

- Steering mounted audio controls

- Single-pane sunroof

- Cruise control

- Electrically adjustable and foldable ORVMs

- Manual air-conditioning

- Rear AC vents

- Cooled glove box

- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel

- USB charger for rear occupants

- Keyless entry

- Dual airbags

- ABS with EBD

- Rear parking sensors with camera

- Electronic stability control

- Tyre pressure monitoring system

- All four disc brakes
N8

Quote:
1-litre turbo-petrol with 6-speed iMT or 7-speed DCT

Along with the lengthy feature list of the N6, the N8 comes with additional features, including:

- LED projector headlamps with DRLs

- Cornering lamps

- Larger 10.25-inch infotainment system

- BlueLink connected car tech

- Wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

- Bose 7-speaker sound system with subwoofer

- Voice command based feature activation

- Automatic climate control

- Push-button start

- Rear seat armrest

- Adjustable headrests for rear seat occupants

- Rear wash and wiper

- USB charger for front seat occupants

- Side and curtain airbags (Total - 6)

- Auto-dimming IRVM

- Puddle lamps

- Burglar alarm

- Height-adjustable seat belt for front occupants
The N Line variants will come with 30 percent stiffer suspension, retuned steering wheel.

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 21:27   #112
BANNED

Their own Grand i10 NIOS Turbo is faster than this Nurburing focussed Hyundai. Figo diesel will be considerably faster, times more frugal and cost many lakhs less than this not-even-warm hot hatch Hyundai.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th August 2021 at 17:48. Reason: Fixed on request.
COMMUTER is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 23:56   #113
BHPian

It beats me but why would an enthusiast focused car be offered with the boring IMT? It seems either Hyundai underestimates the enthusiasts or this car isn’t meant for enthusiasts. They should have brought the old school MT instead or only offered DCT!

Last edited by Waspune : 25th August 2021 at 23:57.
Waspune is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 00:17   #114
anb
BHPian

They should have launched 115 bhp diesel engine (Manual )in N Line variant. There is no replacement for a diesel hatchback like GT TDI now as Ford (Figo) seems to have issues with DPF in BS6 diesel engines.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 06:57   #115
BHPian

I am generally skeptical of Hyundai vehicles, but I feel this has been a decent first effort from them in introducing a spicier N line.

Most important are the All Disc brakes and returned suspension and Steering which frankly not every average Joe can confidently get done at any Garage.

Any higher tune of engine would also push the price north. And Polo itself doesn't have any other version of engines except the standard one.

One should remember the Palio S10 and Ford Fiesta S which were thoroughly loved for being sporty cousins of their daily driver cousins.

Am sure with the N line, this should be as good as the Polo dynamically if not better and the engine is peppy enough to keep up

Let's not expect the moon from Hyundai from their first N vehicle.
Flash777 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 08:14   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Exhaust note is pretty fruity.

Skip to 2.45

Source - YouTube
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 08:29   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Very harsh opinions and reactions, as expected, towards almost anything that Hyundai and KIA release.

I've never criticized any unique sporty edition models, be it the Octavia VRS Mark II, the 2 door Polo GTI or the Baleno RS, either in terms of pricing or spec.

I'd say this is a very respectable first effort by Hyundai to give a hot hatch, yes, I mean hot, those who haven't seen what this car can do post 3k rpm will get a shock when they do test drive it. They've stiffened up the suspension, given a DCT transmission with paddle shifters and 4 disc brakes, that's actually not too bad at all. Those who've not test driven the new i20 will never know how supple yet sturdy the suspension is and will never be aware of the superb legroom in the back as well, easily way more than Verna or Vento.

For a country like India I'd say this is more than capable, it's not like the Abarth Punto and GTI sold in even hundreds, leave alone thousands to justify a bigger engine, true the IMT was totally unnecessary and perhaps the 1.4 turbo with manual might've made this the best fun to drive hatch ever, but I guess Hyundai wanted to deliver a product within 15L OTR this time around.

As for their pedigree for making drivers cars, I wouldn't knock them, I owned the Getz which had a much better steering feel, precision and suspension than the Polo, with it's light, super numb steering and rock hard suspension, overrated beyond belief.

Last edited by dark.knight : 26th August 2021 at 08:30.
dark.knight is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 13:27   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I guess Hyundai wanted to deliver a product within 15L OTR this time around.
Must have been hard for Hyundai to overprice the i20 so much that the N-Line doesn't have much space to play with, below 15 lakhs OTR.

Hyundai i20 Asta (O) 1.0 DCT - 11.14 lakhs
  • Sub-4m
  • <1.2L, 120hp TGDi engine
  • A compromised 3-star structure at best like Seltos, or more realistically a 2 star structure like Nios.

i20 N-Line 1.0 DCT N8 - 12.xx lakhs?
  • Lot of "look at me" red inside + outside.
  • Only one real upgrade could be the retuned suspension. Waiting for reviews on that front.
  • 0 to 100 in 9.9 seconds claimed.

Make no mistake - I like the way the new TGDi engines drive.

People should really drive the new generation Hyundai cars before dismissing them against Euros! Aura 1.0 TGDi was really nice in the 100ps avatar and the i20 with 120ps will be real nice too. Ride & handling is sorted and no more a deal-breaker.

BUT - Pardon me for not getting all excited about a sporty stickered version of an already overpriced product with a compromised-for-India structure, which - despite the sub-4m, <1.2L engine tax benefits - will be priced around the ballpark of an SUV from a couple of segments above with better structure and performance. The old Polo which is probably safer, heavier and makes 15 hp less on paper has a proven (not claimed) 0 to 100 timing of ~ 9.9 seconds. Heck, the Mahindra XUV 7OO MX3 MT with its 4.6m length, 2.0L 200hp TGDi engine, rumoured 5-star ready safety, and proven 0 to 100 much lesser than Hyundai's claimed 9.9, independent FSD suspension etc - will most likely cost lesser than this IMT N-Line!

i20 sales have reduced since the new generation came out, compared to the consistent 8-9k levels of the previous generation even just before it got phased out, and I believe pricing has a lot to do with it. I'm not expecting Hyundai to deliver the full-deal 'N'! But at least stop dishing out compromises despite the premium price tag!

This new one will be pushing 15L onroad in many states, and at that price - I am struggling to see it as anything else other than an overpriced hatch for the show-off inclined.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 15:24   #119
BHPian

We must admit the fact that the attempt from Hyundai is pretty good. From the pictures, it seems like the fit and finish are good as well. This definitely looks like a good HOT hatch as per Indian standards for sure. Whether this is a good match for the driving feel of the TSI engine-equipped cars like Polo, Vento/Rapid, only time can tell.

People associate Hyundai cars with reliability and this time a lot of them may associate this N Line with performance with Hyundai reliability, unlike the VAG cars. This can polarize the opinions for sure. But for me, this car looks good and the specifications on paper looks impressive as well. It already has enough gizmos like the normal i20 if not more than that. So most of the consumers will be happy as well.

The deciding factor shall be the price I reckon. Unless someone really wanted to purchase it, they may settle for the normal petrol turbo offering from Hyundai. But certainly, there will be takers for this car. But let's not forget that cars like Punto Abarth failed in India miserably. But it was a FIAT and this is a Hyundai. Hope this works well so that other manufacturers will also bring more fun to drive cars or REAL sporty versions of their existing offerings, unlike funny sticker jobs. So all I say, long live competition.

But on a personal note, if I am out to buy a car in this price range (1.5M INR) I will not buy it. It's not the car is bad, just that my priorities are different. At first, at 15 lakhs INR, I may still buy a Rapid/Vento over this any day. Or even an Eco Sport 1.5 if it had an auto box or an Altroz with an auto box. But again I truly hope this car will succeed so that we may get more cars of similar type. Hey VW are you planning to bring new POLO? This can be a direct competition

Last edited by igemini : 26th August 2021 at 15:26.
igemini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 15:43   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

BUT - Pardon me for not getting all excited about a sporty stickered version of an already overpriced product with a compromised-for-India structure, which - despite the sub-4m, <1.2L engine tax benefits - will be priced around the ballpark of an SUV from a couple of segments above with better structure and performance. The old Polo which is probably safer, heavier and makes 15 hp less on paper has a proven (not claimed) 0 to 100 timing of ~ 9.9 seconds. Heck, the Mahindra XUV 7OO MX3 MT with its 4.6m length, 2.0L 200hp TGDi engine, rumoured 5-star ready safety, and proven 0 to 100 much lesser than Hyundai's claimed 9.9, independent FSD suspension etc - will most likely cost lesser than this IMT N-Line!

i20 sales have reduced since the new generation came out, compared to the consistent 8-9k levels of the previous generation even just before it got phased out, and I believe pricing has a lot to do with it. I'm not expecting Hyundai to deliver the full-deal 'N'! But at least stop dishing out compromises despite the premium price tag!

This new one will be pushing 15L onroad in many states, and at that price - I am struggling to see it as anything else other than an overpriced hatch for the show-off inclined.

Well, the now discontinued Tiago JTP hits 9.9 sec to a ton. It maybe without the bells and whistles of an I20, but it had a 4 start rating and was available for half the price of the i20 N line. Handling was segment best of erstwhile Figo S and Maybe Punto !

Still it was a sales dud because while people like to talk, discuss, deliberate performance cars, not many bite the bullet when it comes to owning one.

And Hyundai Launching a Warm Hatch at these prices, esp when the market is still in a state of frenzy over W700 pricing is really shocking! Not sure which is their target segment here !

Last edited by Mi10 : 26th August 2021 at 15:45.
Mi10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks