Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2021, 12:01   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021

Exhaust note while being driven in the first 30 secs of the video.

tharian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 12:15   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Pops and bangs on an i20 straight from the factory, fantastic! I was having a hearty laugh at the way that exhaust was singing at part throttle, sounds like a sporty motorcycle - which is a good thing. You can have your i20 and have fun too.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 13:55   #168
BHPian

Good to see the i20 N-line (What's with the name, feels lame to me),

I am hoping that Hyundai slowly cranks up the performance game, with each new iteration.

I see a lot of criticism or frankly rants against the car, Not sure why, no one is saying this is an Abarth beater, It is just an effort by Hyundai to get gain more acceptability amongst enthusiasts and market placement with respect to their Brand.

The positive from this can be that if Hyundai sell a sizable number, Others might rethink their strategy.

The video recording the exhaust note is quite awesome, did any other OEM car come with such a throaty exhaust ?

Good to see Hyundai trying in spite of the current fuel prices in our country.

Though, I feel the next gen performance cars are all going to be EVs.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 14:12   #169
BHPian

Quote:
And for the members of the forum defending this car as though it is thier new born, I really can't wait to see when the overall ownership of this surpasses that of Polo, Honda City, Seltos, Venue, etc. I really can't wait
Why does it feel that you are so much against the car as if its your new born, except you have come to know that you are not the father?

The car hasn't got a decent media drive or review as yet and you are judging people for commenting in this thread and not spending time in the used car market! You might not like something, it's your choice and the same applies for others.
dgogold is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 14:21   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

What a heated thread this is! And how many disappointed voices?!!
All for an enthusiast sub-segment of hot hatches, which mass market doesn't give 2 hoots about.

Actual hot hatches like the Punto Abarth proved to be a sales flop. Even the very economical, well priced Figo S didn't manage to find many homes.

Hyundai needs to be appreciated for trying something atleast. Given the higher probability of brake failures in Hyundais, I am glad one gets 4 disc brakes instead of 2.

Who doesn't love a nice sounding exhaust? I am not complaining about the lukewarm performance figures too. Driving for over 2 decades now, I am happier to see noobs driving slower cars rather than actual hot hatches.

I am also curious how worse the fuel efficiency would be. Even manual petrols of Hyundai return pathetic fuel efficiency. Here we have a sportier DCT petrol Hyundai.

If you are planning to buy one, set aside a separate budget for fuel

For actual driving enthusiasts, I believe the Polo 1.0 TSI MT with that slick gearbox and peppy engine would make a better choice( just adding fuel to the fire lol).

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 30th August 2021 at 14:29.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 14:34   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post

The Polo is definitely like the iPhone - Looks outdated, lacks features, seems way too overpriced, very high maintenance. But once you use it, you realize the simplicity and its owners start acting like maniac Fanboys (I am one of them).

The i20 is like Android and will have takers, especially with their network. Their product is gimmicky like the OPPO, Vivo (not calling it Samsung, because the fit and finish is no where as premium) but it will sell. (I am an android user)

Hope some competition pushed VW to improve the Polo in some sense
You have nailed it! Exactly the same thought as mine.

I haven't seen or drove this N Line yet, but I have a feeling that this may not sell we as per Hyundai standards. But when you compare it with VW Sales numbers, perhaps this may sell in good numbers. There are a ton of people who associate Hyundai with reliability and exceptionally cheap to maintain. I am not a believer in that though.

But again, we need competition for the benefit of car buyers like us. This was one segment where there are/were only a handful of cars existed/exists. And except for the GT TSI/ TSI MT almost all cars in that segment were not sold well enoguh. We shall thank BS6 for some of these petrol TC engines. Or else these sweet engines might have never made their way to India. Ford could be one exception with their fantastic 1.5 Diesel but without AT at this stage doesn't makes it looks like a direct competition at least to me.
Old 30th August 2021, 14:38   #172
BHPian

After checking the car in person yesterday at the nearest dealership, my observations were as follows:-
  • The enthusiast could easily differentiate between this and the regular i20, however, the general public not so much
  • The twin exhaust look sweet, it does look like a simple muffler on top of the real exhaust at first but then it grows on you
  • The one they had on display was in white, from what I’ve heard blue looks even more menacing
  • Hyundai definitely should’ve given the regular MT instead of i-MT, I heard a few customers in the showroom complain as well
  • According to the sales rep, the car is being offered for a limited time as each dealer is offered 20 units of the car as of now
  • The red accents look a lot less imposing in person and go well with overall sporty nature of the car
  • Hyundai should’ve offered Michelins instead of regular CEAT on the N-line
Mat095 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 15:43   #173
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 N-Line walkaround

N6 variant

N8 variant
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 23:40   #174

There is so much ranting and disrespectful comments by many users to put down others' opinions and observations without adding much to the discussion. Only generalised and sweeping remarks like Oh! Polo this and that, enthusiast's car, Punto Abarth this and that, just randomly throwing names and scenarios without really respecting the fact that a manufacturer has put forward a product and rather than giving it a fair chance, some fellow users have been putting it and other users down by Oh! You buy that and this car will go faster than you and how would you feel or this and that. This too was acceptable but without civility to each other and no rationale and evidence provided, it's sheer disrespect going on.

As far as VAG, especially, and other premium German manufacturers who sell their vehicles in India; they have a very low opinion of Indian market and its customers. The often outdated cars and technologies which they provide with their vehicles at comparatively higher prices in India should be a reason enough to put off a prospective buyer. However if people still buy their vehicles and enjoy driving them then we have to respect their choice. Nothing wrong in that too. But their CEOs seem to just release the bare minimum for the Indian market as if saying to their teams, well this should be enough for Indian market. Nobody is denying the reputation and engineering their products offer, even if generation older, but at a premium which is often much more than other privileged markets with no strategy and will to improve customer experience.

Hyundai seem very earnest and non-judgmental in their approach. At least in its offerings there is to be seen a level of respect for the Indian buyers. And since some mention Global NCAP ratings, which is a great thing to happen to automotive sector alongwith forums like Team BHP with their razor sharp analysis acting as a pressure/interest groups for manufacturers and policymakers it is pertinent to note that more often than not it is the design failure rather than quality of materials used. That design might have been compensated for more space and factors like visibility etc. but still they should respect customer expectations in terms of safety and yes more often than not according to Global NCAP their ratings have translated into real world safety performance of the vehicles. Still, rather than going blindly for ratings, analysing footage and remarks of NCAP of where the vehicle falls short and in which scenarios there can be a true assessment of suitability of the vehicle.

Anyhow for some in this thread, and quite unfortunately for such a genuinely great community, being an enthusiast means having endless reserve of money and cash flow to sustain their vehicle ownership and performative experience. Or in other words if one cannot buy or experience a VAG or other xyz brand then they are not enthusiastic enough about vehicles or their opinions are second class. Take note dear friends there are so many people in India whose enthusiasm but low resources would obliterate the deep pocket snobs and purists amongst you. Be humble, consider yourself lucky that you are experiencing a vehicle, but do not have low opinion of other people with your snobbish and mean comments. It's so hurtful. Be respectful of geography and diversity of India and try to build each other up. Sometimes this elitism is too much to take. Yes I want to learn about your experience and something cool you want to share with us but where does this snobbery take us. It diverts the real issue.

And while we are at it, I have been gaining from Team BHP forums since their first review of XUV 500 many many years ago. There was nothing on the internet which was so informative and indulging. I would rather take advice from senior BHPians and their debates rather than believe automotive journalists and aspiring Youtube vloggers. Established automotive journalists as their name 'established' suggest nest in the good books of automotive groups like VAG, and especially powerful German automaker lobby which gives these established folks a platform to connect to larger global automotive community while routinely being invited to be a part of xyz vehicle drive in Europe or America. There is too much privilege for these dishonest people to stick their neck out and state plain truth; rather they present a vehicle with usual template using cliche arguments and unimaginative metaphors and I cannot remember the last time they took a definitive stance or a viewpoint affecting/benefitting Indian automotive scene. Some of the users seem to be reflecting this defence mechanism of these journalists where they would bring such vehicles into comparison like talking about its performance, handling, etc but choosing to give a miss to uncomfortable truths like service experience and practicality.

Lastly Hyundai's introduction of N-line cars are a gutsy move worthy of respect and admiration and I don't see a reason to not welcome this move with admiration at least at par with VAGs TSI engines, Ford's Ecoboost, or some other Hot hatch introduction like Abarth Punto. Critique rather than Criticise!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st August 2021 at 10:58. Reason: spacing for improved readability
KobeSmushie is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 07:16   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I honestly never liked the 3rd gen i20. The second gen was a looker. The looks of this car, will not age well.

If I have to draw a comparison to the mobile world.

The Polo is definitely like the iPhone - Looks outdated, lacks features, seems way too overpriced, very high maintenance. But once you use it, you realize the simplicity and its owners start acting like maniac Fanboys (I am one of them).

The i20 is like Android and will have takers, especially with their network. Their product is gimmicky like the OPPO, Vivo (not calling it Samsung, because the fit and finish is no where as premium) but it will sell. (I am an android user)

Hope some competition pushed VW to improve the Polo in some sense
No offence, but that sounds like a lame comparison. For starters, there is a new iPhone every year, while the Polo has remained virtually the same for the last decade! And iPhones are extremely reliable, no hang ups, the polo necessarily not so! And saying that the difference between a polo and i20 is as much as a Vivo and an iPhone, well I’m not even sure what you are implying!

Again, no offence, but we need see things as it is, appreciate or share a view, but to draw such ridiculous comparisons, I mean we can do better.
motorworks is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 08:47   #176
BANNED

This is way more than I expected from Hyundai. I thought they would bring like a Ciaz RS (relentless spirit or something). Cosmetic changes at best.

Real Upgrades
Brakes, exhaust, suspension and new steering wheel are more than enough performance upgrades for this car. After all, how many N-line buyers were planning to take do 3-4 sessions on the track with this? Collectively, the Polo GT owners have already shown their cars more track time than all of i20 N-lines will ever see. Clutctless will do better in everyday city traffic. Believe me, you won't miss the clutch unless you're taking it to the track. The key is just enough differentiation to spice up your everyday driving.

Perceived Value Over Actual Value
The focus is always on perceived value rather than the actual value. For performance, I'll take 15-inch, lightweight wheels with soft rubber, a tight chassis and stiff suspensions over 16-inch alloys. Minimizing rotating mass and bringing it towards the centre and all. The average buyer looking to stand out doesn't see the rubber. They see the alloy wheels. With enough gaps in the spokes, they will see the rear discs too. How effective are those rear discs, is a debate for another day.

The exhaust is a major upgrade. I'm sure a lot of buyers will buy it for the exhaust alone. Because of the emission and legal reasons, it's best to stick with factory exhaust. When you get *THAT* from the factory, it's one less illegal upgrade on your bucket list.

Now Fix that Pricing
I'd just say, that this is the time to get the pricing right for the i20. Price the N-line on par with the comparable non-N-line variants and you have a winner. This will make up for the overpriced tags and make it worth a look. It'll establish Hyundai as a performance carmaker, at least in the eyes of the layman.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 31st August 2021 at 08:51.
MaheshY1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 11:29   #177
BHPian

This is spot on. I’m certain that there are a lot of folks, myself included, who wanted to go down the route of upgrading the suspension/brakes/steering to improve the dynamics of a regular and otherwise reliable car - but stopped at just getting better tyres!

Most of us don’t have the luxury of being able to dedicate extraordinary amounts of time to vehicle upkeep nor want the mental burden of going against manufacturer warranty. If Hyundai offers the product to me direct - I for one am happy to pay them their asking price.

I do however expect a noticeable difference in vehicle dynamics as compared to the standard i20 and am eager to see the reviews when they come online.
sassid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 13:25   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
And saying that the difference between a polo and i20 is as much as a Vivo and an iPhone, well I’m not even sure what you are implying!
This thread has been quite interesting! Let's all not make the polo sound like the ultimate driving machine we are auto enthusiasts after all and although it's a nice little city car, it's sooo old and the 4 star GNCAP is absolutely nothing to brag about (as many members are implying here - Team BHP should not normalise mediocre safety ratings). It's the cheapest and most basic German car you can buy today, period.

Now coming to this topic, the stock i20 N sounds like it'll be fun when you start her up and hear the growl, pops and bangs when you drive to run errands - while still having all the comforts, sound system, finish, and tech expected of a compact car in 2021. I'm sure there's going to be many takers for that. I only wish they had offered special matte color options for the N Line like that electric blue or orange.
Old 31st August 2021, 13:41   #179
BHPian

Some truly hilarious comparisons in the thread !

Few pointers on new i20 :
1. Superior ride and handling combination compared to previous gen i20 elite by a considerable margin.
2. One of the best rear seat experience (easily better than Verna or even Venue) in its category.
3. Plethora of engine+gearbox options available. Most of them are competent enough.
4. Hyundai quality and NVH is intact. Again thats best in class
5. Practical feature list and electronics are thoughtfully added (except the speedo console)

Demerits :
1. Styling is bit hit or miss. especially the rear end
2. Pricing is a big turn off.

Nline would end up looking even more expensive (i hope hyundai does some price correction) but the fact remains new i20 is a superior car to a Polo in multiple ways.

And the strengths of Polo arent the weakness of i20 either (be it engine/gearbox or build quality or suspension) !
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 14:03   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post
This thread has been quite interesting! Let's all not make the polo sound like the ultimate driving machine we are auto enthusiasts after all and although it's a nice little city car, it's sooo old and the 4 star GNCAP is absolutely nothing to brag about (as many members are implying here - Team BHP should not normalise mediocre safety ratings). It's the cheapest and most basic German car you can buy today, period.
I absolutely agree. Some of the posts in this thread not exactly in line with unbiased / knowledge / expertise / experience sharing this forum is famous for. Bias is evident.

Personally, I believe N-line is a great effort by Hyundai, and worthy of being checked out - enthusiast or not. I have personally owned 2014 i20 and Verna SX - and I believe the company offers consistent build quality, reasonable performance and fairly reliable service which is value for money.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks