Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2020, 22:56   #226
BHPian

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Facing two issues on our 4 year 45000 km W212 E250 CDI.
  1. Weird sound from the engine
  2. Engine hesitates to start on first crank (has been sitting idle for a while)
Today we started the car and -- for a moment let's forget about the fact that the engine didn't quite start on the first crank -- we heard a weird noise. The sort of noise I've only heard on old first gen Indicas before.

(I made a video of the engine making that noise with the hood open, but I'm unable to figure out how to upload mp4 files here; I don't want to upload it to YouTube and link here).

It's a continuous rapid "chk chk chk...." sound.

The sound seems to be from a belt that winds its way across several small wheels right in front of the engine. I believe it is called "serpentine belt". One of the circular wheels that belt was wrapped around seemed slightly wobbly, but I'm not 100% certain of this.

If it's actually a problem with the serpentine belt, what is the prognosis? What problems will this cause? How easy or hard would it be to fix this? Is it safe driving around?

If it's not the serpentine belt, what else could it be?

The other issue is the battery, which is on its way out. Back in February during routine service the service advisor mentioned that the battery is on the weak side. FWIW, the engine start-stop system hasn't been working for a few months now, which is probably a related issue. The only thing to do about this is to replace the battery I guess. But since the car is going to sit idle at home anyway (until COVID-19 season is over), wouldn't the new battery develop issues as well?

I do have a question about the battery replacement. W212s have two batteries -- one in the hood, and another in the boot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of them is supposed to keep things like air-conditioner powered while the engine start-stop system has stopped the engine. Should both of these batteries be replaced simultaneously?

Note that I'm currently in a "containment zone" for COVID-19 (part of the reason why the car has been sitting idle for a while), so it'll be difficult for me to get the car to the Mercedes authorized service center about 30 km from my home (I don't even know if they're open these days).
Old 9th August 2020, 09:05   #227
BHPian

Need some help. I own an April 2015 C-Class (the new model) which has done 35k kms. I checked with the company for service rates and packages. They told me that the current service cost will be Rs. 1,10,000 as gear oil needs to be replaced as per schedule. But the car has just done 35k. Asked about the service packages. They are giving two options:

1. All service costs except brake pads and disc replacement for Rs. 1,70,000. This will cover three services over a period of 3 years.
2. Service cost + brake pads and disc replacement + wheel balancing and alignment for Rs. 2,70,000. The tenure remains 3 years.

If I get a basic service that includes engine oil, oil filter, ac filter and washing that will cost around Rs. 30,000.

Now I drive the car very less for the sheer reason that the more km it does the more expenses I need to incur. Was wondering if gear oil change is requried at this stage? Also, does purchasing such high cost packages make sense?

Lastly, views if I get the service done from outside the company. Is it the same quality? If no, then is it worth taking the risk. Also, does anyone know good centres in Ludhiana/Chandigarh for service.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th August 2020, 10:07   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
It makes no sense to go for a service package if your usage is low.

The price quoted Rs 1,10,000 is on the higher side. You can take a look at my S class (w221) service bill here that includes transmission oil change (post #185):
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4816646 (Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review)

I have no experience with private garages, have been happy with A.S.S so far.

Since your usage is low and you prefer to keep the costs low, I would suggest the following approach to keep the costs low:

1. Don't change filters often during every visit. Take a call based on the usage and condition of the filter. Ask service manager if they could inspect and put them back if the usage is low. Just tell them that the usage is very low and they would understand and try to be helpful. Ultimately, follow their advice. I know for a fact that BMW dealers reuse filters for cars with service package and low usage.

2. Most items such as wiper blades, brakes, tires, engine mounts, suspension, etc. can be replaced only when you sense the part is begging for replacement. Nothing catastrophic happens with these parts if you wait a bit longer. Dealers routinely suggest replacement of these items a bit too early.

3. Wheel alignment, car wash, etc. jobs also can be avoided or be selective.

4. If you find yourself changing batteries too often due to lack of usage, consider a battery charger (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...y-charger.html (Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger))

5. Always change fluids They degrade even if the car is lying idle. Follow every recommended fluid change including transmission oil even if the usage is less.

Moderate frequent/daily usage with minimal but regular scheduled servicing is the ideal sweet spot to own and enjoy these cars.
Old 9th August 2020, 10:19   #229
BHPian

Let me take a detailed quote from them tomorrow. Will share it and then take a decision. Thanks for guidance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

Moderate frequent/daily usage with minimal but regular scheduled servicing is the ideal sweet spot to own and enjoy these cars.

Last edited by ajmat : 9th August 2020 at 15:35. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 11th August 2020, 18:22   #230
BHPian

So here is what I got. The SA sent me the service estimate without gear oil. For gear oil he said that if the whole kit will have to be chnaged than it will cost 50k otherwise around 20k.

There seem to be a lot of filters. Please lemme know if I can delete any one. Also the 1st item is some device that will connect with the phone. The SA tried hard to sell the same to me but I said a no. Have told him that I'll get back post a review of the items. Please help now!

Quote:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CamScanner 08-11-2020 15.22.25.pdf (670.7 KB, 453 views)

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th August 2020 at 14:27. Reason: Fixed attachment tags.
Old 11th August 2020, 19:55   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

There seem to be a lot of filters. Please lemme know if I can delete any one.
Dust filter (Rs 3K, under the hood) and Fine particle filter (Rs 7K under the glove box) are cabin air filters. If you don't use the car much and your A/C performance is good, you can skip these.

A/C anti-bacterial treatment. Lol. Skip it.

Fuel filter: I am surprised they are recommending fuel filer replacement so soon (35K km). You will have to double check the "official recommended interval" to replace fuel filter.

Engine air filter: How many KMs since last change? If less than 5k km, you can just inspect and reuse it for another 5k km.

Opt for change of oil & oil filter

Brake fluid: Depends on when it was changed last. You can go for it, it's not expensive.

Washer fluid: DIY if you wish.

I don't know the difference between the Rs 50K and Rs 20K transmission service options. Others can pitch in.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 06:39   #232
BHPian

Quote:
I would have been as dismissing - before i found a nasty smell in my 1 year old GLE, every time i started the car and the A/C turned on. It disappeared ( or maybe i got used to it) after 5 minutes or so.

It was fungus and it cost me 33k to get rid of it. In the place i stay, it happens after winter to sparsely run cars.
Old 12th August 2020, 08:25   #233
BHPian

What is the usual time period after which fuel filter is changed? Engine air filter was changed at 23k and now the odo is at 33k. So will get it changed.

Will ask in detail about the transmission oil thing and let everyone know.

Quote:
Dust filter (Rs 3K, under the hood) and Fine particle filter (Rs 7K under the glove box) are cabin air filters. If you don't use the car much and your A/C performance is good, you can skip these.

Fuel filter: I am surprised they are recommending fuel filer replacement so soon (35K km). You will have to double check the "official recommended interval" to replace fuel filter.

Engine air filter: How many KMs since last change? If less than 5k km, you can just inspect and reuse it for another 5k km.

Opt for change of oil & oil filter

Brake fluid: Depends on when it was changed last. You can go for it, it's not expensive.

Washer fluid: DIY if you wish.

I don't know the difference between the Rs 50K and Rs 20K transmission service options. Others can pitch in.
Old 12th August 2020, 09:31   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
I would have been as dismissing - before i found a nasty smell in my 1 year old GLE, every time i started the car and the A/C turned on. It disappeared ( or maybe i got used to it) after 5 minutes or so.

It was fungus and it cost me 33k to get rid of it. In the place i stay, it happens after winter to sparsely run cars.
I was dismissing it because Mercedes charges an insane amount to fix this problem, which btw will come back again after few months.

This problem occurs when the A/C doesn't get used often and the mold grows on the wet evaporator coil. You can clean the evaporator coil using products like "Liqui Moly Klima Fresh" and also run A/C in max heat recirculate mode to rinse off the evaporator with the cleaner and heat-dry it.

Best would be to avoid parking the car with a wet evaporator coil by driving the car in "Fan only" mode for the last 5 minutes of the journey to dry up the evaporator coil when you know the car won't be used for few days.

Quote:
What is the usual time period after which fuel filter is changed? Engine air filter was changed at 23k and now the odo is at 33k. So will get it changed.

Will ask in detail about the transmission oil thing and let everyone know.
10K km between service intervals is not low usage, I sort of assumed it would be under 5K km. You will have to check with the dealer about recommended interval for fuel filter change for your car model.

In general, some of the service items if skipped will have cascading consequences that would be too costly to fix later (penny wise, pound foolish) and it's better to be on the cautious side especially if they are not too expensive. Engine, fuel, transmission would fall in to this category. A/C, brakes, wheels, suspension, wipers, lights, convenience features, body-work etc can be in the cost-saving category.

Ultimately I won't go against the advice of the dealer, I would just need him to justify the service item.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 15:41   #235
BHPian

I am considering buying a 2014 Mercedes ML 250 with about 60,000km on the clock. It is out of warranty naturally. I would appreciate it if any of you could give me an estimate of what i would need to put aside each year for Service costs as well as estimated replacement of parts.

Also would be keen to know the cost difference to be expected between Mercedes dealers(titanium motors/Sundaram here in chennai) and a qualified FNG.

From the forum, i do understand that the service packages are on offer at the ASS but I am also keen to understand if it would be worth taking them given that i drive between 18-20,000km a year.

Thanks in advance
Old 17th August 2020, 09:42   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post
.. with about 60,000km on the clock. ... i drive between 18-20,000km a year.
IMHO, this is not an ideal combination.

The car will touch 120K km in 3 years and I would be really surprised if the car doesn't require costly repairs outside of regular service during that period. Minor potential repair/replacement like engine/transmission mounts, suspension bits, fuel pump, exhaust components, AC blower/compressor etc. would set you back by Rs 50-100K but anything major like engine, transmission may cost in the range of 10L (though unlikely).

If the car proves to be very reliable, you will be spending about Rs 70K per year for regular servicing with that kind of usage (oil, filters, brakes, battery, etc.). Then you need to budget for insurance, fuel, tires, etc. This is the best case scenario.

I have no experience with FNG, I am sure they would be lower but finding a reliable and competent one would be a challenge.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:56   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

A family member is looking to get a preowned w222 S600 Maybach 2017 model with less quite low kms on the odo(below 20k). However, I am curious to know if the upkeep will be much more than my w222 s350d given that the s600 has a v12?

Also what would be a fair price to pay for this s600?
Old 18th August 2020, 22:32   #238
BHPian

Hey, need help with battery replacement. I have been hearing from my SA since last year June that the battery replacement is due and the car can stop anytime. I took a quote and they are saying Rs. 40,000 for battery replacement. That sounds like a crazy amount. What to do? Please guide. The car is April 2015 C220 and the battery manufacturing year is 2014. I haven't encountered any battery problem till today.
Old 18th August 2020, 22:36   #239
Team-BHP Support

If it is an AGM battery, they cost around 35000. Check the battery specifications and shop around
Old 18th August 2020, 23:03   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, need help with battery replacement. I have been hearing from my SA since last year June that the battery replacement is due and the car can stop anytime. I took a quote and they are saying Rs. 40,000 for battery replacement. That sounds like a crazy amount. What to do? Please guide. The car is April 2015 C220 and the battery manufacturing year is 2014. I haven't encountered any battery problem till today.
Yes, these batteries are expensive but Rs 30-35K is more like it, please refer to my service bill that included a new battery (item#4 in the parts list):
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4177742 (Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review)

Here is a post from GTO's BMW thread that talks about getting these batteries outside dealer network (I have no prior experience). Mercedes-Benz also uses Varta brand.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4866654 (BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast)

The dealers are usually right about weak battery diagnosis. You can always carry a good set of jumper cables in the car if you decide to wait till the battery actually gives up. You can also buy a battery charger to ensure your battery is always topped up during long parking spells:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...y-charger.html (Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger)
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks