Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2022, 21:46   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
Even Toyota vellfire /Camry has hybrid engine and performance is superb. There is no question of refinement, city start stop performance is miles ahead of diesel. Overall refinement is Luxury car segment. Vellfire being heavier than Innova, but there is no overall performance Lag. Also 0-100 time is 4 sec faster than diesel.
Mileage is also 11-13kmpl is not lot different than diesel counterpart.
Hybrid is going to rule future Toyota.
Innova HyCross will need the 2.5L hybrid from the Camry to offer similar performance to the 2.8L diesel, the 2.0L hybrid that Toyota has planned will not cut it. They have planned a 2.0L petrol also, let’s see how does that turn out. 1.5L hybrid in the Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder is lacklustre as well…
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 22:06   #62
BHPian

re: Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I assumed they will continue the diesel and replace the current petrol models with hybrid, and hybrid will be priced 5L above similar specced petrol. But if this is true, I am afraid Toyota will price the hybrid 5L above the similar specced diesel.
The top variant Petrol Crysta is about 31 lacs OTR in Kerala including insurance etc. As you say, it may not be a surprise if the strong hybrid touches 44-45 lacs OTR. Will TKM keep it lower than the 5 seater Tucson ! In April, even when there was good indication of the year-end 7 seater hybrid SUV release by TKM, I did not cancel the 2.7 and wait for the new one because of this anticipated price gap.
JayG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 08:00   #63
BHPian

I strongly feel that Toyota India may be planning for a 2.4L Fortuner variant at a lower entry price. This will help increase profits and see the response from the customers towards a 2.4L Fortuner variant. The engines used in Innova will be used for the Fortuner.

Toyota has experienced 2.8L Innova cannibalising the Fortuner, now they themselves have temporarily stopped the production of 2.4L Innova and may be trying to increase the sales of the Fortuner. With a lower entry price variant, Toyota can cut the competition with the Meridian and the XUV700.

Toyota is selling 2.4L engine variant of the Fortuner in other markets.

Last edited by Brumby : 16th August 2022 at 08:08.
Brumby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 08:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Innova HyCross will need the 2.5L hybrid from the Camry to offer similar performance to the 2.8L diesel, the 2.0L hybrid that Toyota has planned will not cut it. They have planned a 2.0L petrol also, let’s see how does that turn out. 1.5L hybrid in the Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder is lacklustre as well…
Well, they don't need to match the 2.8's performance. Innova comes with 2.4 ever since BS6 days. The 2.0L hybrid should be able to match it. And I feel, going by the volume and ICE engine power may not be fair while comparing a hybrid to a pure ICE engine. Since the motor takes care of the initial pull, at least the initial performance should be comparable.
Old 16th August 2022, 11:14   #65
BHPian

Why does everybody seem to think the new Hycross full-hybrid model will cost 44-45 lakhs on road, just because the Tuscon costs as much? The Tuscon has always been a much more expensive model when compared to the Innova/Crysta. It is in a whole other segment. I don't think a hybrid engine will result in the new car being priced a whopping 50% more than the outgoing car. Also I believe Toyota to not be as foolhardy enough to go up against the Carnival, which is a much bigger, much more luxurious car.

Also an Innova and a Fortuner for almost the same price is blasphemous, but knowing Toyota they might as well increase the Fortuner's price even more to accommodate the Innova, but I don't particularly see it happening. The Innova's MSP is its diesel engine, and without it they can't command the same prices they do.
sunnysideup_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 12:08   #66
Senior - BHPian

In case of Hybrid powertrains the life of the battery and their replacement cost will be a huge factor.

The big usp with Toyota Innova/ Fortuner is the peace of mind in terms of bullet proof reliability and maintenance costs. The same may not be true with hybrid vehicles.

The Diesel powered Innova/ Fortuner commands a very healthy resale value. Most buyers of these preowned cars are assured of low maintenance costs and high level of reliability.

Would the same be true for a 7- 8 year old Hybrid vehicle whose replacement battery pack may cost something like Rs. 10-12 lakh?

The government charges full GST on Hybrid vehicles and they will find it difficult to compete against full electrics which attract just 5% GST (as of now). While the Hybrids are an answer to range anxiety and the insufficient charging infrastructure, the high level of taxation as well as high battery costs may prevent them from catching on in a big way.
Old 16th August 2022, 12:53   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
In case of Hybrid powertrains the life of the battery and their replacement cost will be a huge factor.

The big usp with Toyota Innova/ Fortuner is the peace of mind in terms of bullet proof reliability and maintenance costs. The same may not be true with hybrid vehicles.
Toyota have mastered the hybrid. Their hybrid powertrains are faultless and as reliable and fuss free if not more than the diesel power trains.

There are camry/prius hybrid cabs abroad have run lakhs of kilometers on the original battery without issue. Moreover the Toyota hybrid system is failsafe in the sense even if the battery fails the car continues to run like a normal gasoline car without the hybrid assist.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 13:14   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Would the same be true for a 7- 8 year old Hybrid vehicle whose replacement battery pack may cost something like Rs. 10-12 lakh?
It does not seem to be so costly. As per below post, Camry hybrid battery replacement cost is 2.6 lakh and for this particular case Toyota did it for around 1Lakh.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5013137 (Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid)
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 13:50   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
It does not seem to be so costly. As per below post, Camry hybrid battery replacement cost is 2.6 lakh and for this particular case Toyota did it for around 1Lakh.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5013137 (Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid)
Thanks for the information. I am now better informed about the value the hybrids will bring on the table and clears some misconceived notions/ perceptions in my mind.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 15:56   #70
BHPian

Qualis was replaced at its peak with the Innova.

If this rumours are true, and Toyota want to upgrade their "portfolio", then the 2022 Avanza is the closest I can think of. Well Vellfire. But its going to be ridiculously expensive.

Specs from the Philippines Toyota website.

Quote:
Overall Dimensions (mm)
4,395 x 1,730 x 1,700

Wheelbase (mm)

Seating Capacity

Engine Type
4-Cylinder, In-line, 16-Valve DOHC with Dual VVT-i

Engine Displacement (cc)

Maximum Output (ps/rpm)
106 / 6000

Maximum Torque (Nm/Rpm)
138 / 4200

Fuel Capacity (L)

Power Transmission
CVT

Front Brake/ Rear Brake
Disc / Drum

Tires
195/60 R16 Alloy

Wheels (size)
16" Alloy
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023-001_41_1645666984979_000.jpg  

Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023-005_239_1646098213171_000.jpg  

Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023-001_41_1645666985164_000.jpg  

Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023-005_240_1646096132282_000.jpg  

Toyota stops taking bookings for Innova Crysta diesel | EDIT: Back in Jan 2023-001_41_1645666985389_000.jpg  

VaidhiR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 18:08   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaidhiR View Post
If this rumours are true, and Toyota want to upgrade their "portfolio", then the 2022 Avanza is the closest I can think of. Well Vellfire. But its going to be ridiculously expensive.
The Avanza is a whole segment lower though, and would compete with the likes of the Ertiga or the Marazzo. I don't think Toyota would want to replace the Innova with the Avanza, but we can't be too sure!

I've always wanted them to bring in the Sienna and price it to compete with the Carnival, but they don't make a right hand drive version if I'm not mistaken.
Old 16th August 2022, 18:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaidhiR View Post
Qualis was replaced at its peak with the Innova.

If this rumours are true, and Toyota want to upgrade their "portfolio", then the 2022 Avanza is the closest I can think of.

Maximum Output (ps/rpm)
106 / 6000
People were calling the Brezza underpowered with its 103bhp 1.5L NA motor. There's no way people will accept a similar powered motor on a car that costs 80% more.
Old 16th August 2022, 19:06   #73
BHPian

I was planning to get a Crysta myself and was Heartbroken after reading this news yesterday. Still I went ahead and thought to give it a try, called 2 dealerships in nearby cities. One of them said that Toyota has not told them anything officially about stopping the bookings of crysta and told he'll have to check if he can take a booking.
The other one said that Toyota has advised not to take bookings for the car, but he'll get it Delivered, hell get back to me with details whether I can get the colour/model of my choice or not. Prices quoted are a bit inflated too!!
Old 16th August 2022, 19:47   #74
Team-BHP Support

I wrote many months ago about this; there will be an old post.

Both Fortuner and Innova will lose the Diesel for sure. However, Innova Diesel bookings are possible wherever there is a gap between dealers' allocations and bookings. So, if someone is keen to buy one, they should contact multiple dealers.

The reasons are Emission norms and the challenges. Everyone knows DPF issues are not something Toyota likes, and despite trying their best, I think they have figured that this can't be improved beyond the current Euro6 norms.

We will see Petrol engine Innova's and Fortuners for a while. Simultaneously, a smaller MPV (like Ertiga) will be coming. However, there is no clarity if Hybrid Innova or similar is planned as the costs for such a vehicle will be very high.

I, for one, will be very happy to have a 4x4 Petrol Fortuner, which should be a reality when the Diesel is gone.

They published this a few days after recent complaints from Fortuner owners. Besides some other posts on the subject.

https://www.toyotabharat.com/q-service/t-shield/

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th August 2022 at 20:31. Reason: Minor correction
Turbanator is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 20:05   #75
BHPian

I'd like to believe that Toyota is feeling the heat turned on by the spree of VFM diesel SUV launches by M&M, Tata Motors and Hyundai to an extent. The Innova and the Fortuner were always way too overpriced for that what they had to offer. Atleast here in India, people were paying/still ready to pay the absurd prices just for the "Toyota" brand value.

Last edited by jeeva : 16th August 2022 at 20:06.
jeeva is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks