Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:24   #2506
BANNED

Re: What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?

Update:
In the latest highway trip my Palio MJD gave an astounding mileage of about 26kmpl. I drove at around 75-80kmph speeds.
In city I get around 18kmpl.
Both without a/c as I don't use a/c much.
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:27   #2507
BHPian

I had been getting a mileage of abour 14.* in my estilo. Driving style was not aggressive though I would speed upto 100 when I saw empty stretches. Car is used only for commute/city trips, say 40 kms a day.
I decided while tanking up last time to see how a different driving style changes the average. For the next couple of weeks,
1. I decided to restrict myself to 2000 rpm. Maybe a couple of instances of 2500+ while overtaking. That essentially meant a top speed of 70-80 kmph
2. Upshift at 1500 rpm, Downshift at 2000 rpm.
3. It's reasonably cool, so no AC being used.

When I tanked up this morning, i calculated an average of 17.3 kmpl (489/28.20). That is almost 20% increase just by following couple of simple guidelines.

Without labeling myself as a hypermiler, I am curious to know, in addition to what Iam already following, what more can get me a better mileage?
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:25   #2508
Senior - BHPian

Run: 592km
Fuel: 31.83 ltr
Avg: 18.59 kmpl
City/Hw %: Approx 80-20
ACC: Ac at 21C and always on
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:01   #2509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
When I tanked up this morning, i calculated an average of 17.3 kmpl (489/28.20). That is almost 20% increase just by following couple of simple guidelines.

Without labeling myself as a hypermiler, I am curious to know, in addition to what Iam already following, what more can get me a better mileage?
That's the way to go! Just paying a little attention takes you a long way as far as FE is concerned.

Some tips that work for me:

1. Maintain distance between your car and the car in front. This allows you to be more gentle with your throttle as well as brakes. You can then respond by taking the foot off the throttle rather than apply brake and still maintain safe distance behind the vehicle in front.

2. Look out for what is happening in front - several vehicles ahead. As soon as you notice red brake light active on any of those vehicles, take the foot off the accelerator. Your vehicle has plenty of inertia and will begin to slow down gently.

3. Check the tyre pressure. The pressure should be about 2 psi higher than that recommended by the car manufacturer.

4. Beat the rush hour. I find that there is generally a trigger time before the rush hour. Even leaving just 10 minutes earlier - in morning and evening - helps me improve my FE by 20%.

5. You'll also become aware of various quirks at different sections along the route. There are certain lanes that move faster than others. On some crossings choosing the appropriate lane ensures that when you wish to turn right, you're not stuck behind the chap who wants to make a U-turn.

6. You'll pick up several little nuances to increasing the FE. What is most important single contributor to increased FE is our desire to do so, and in so doing enjoy and bask in the knowledge that we are contributing to our longevity and that of the vehicle, and helping the planet too.
Old 4th January 2011, 13:39   #2510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Car:Wagon R Vxi 2007
City Mileage: 16.5 - 17 kmpl without AC
Highway: same if done over 110 kmph, else 18-19 kmpl
I am also getting similar mileage for my Wagaon R Vxi (2007). But i never felt comfortable driving above 90 kmph in Highways.
Old 4th January 2011, 13:48   #2511
BHPian

In continuation with Sushil, stop at all traffic lights. I follow this rule if timer shows more than 3 seconds, or if there is no countdown timer. I am not sure if diesels can be restarted this way.
Old 6th January 2011, 15:22   #2512
Senior - BHPian

Got a FE of 18.6 kmpl in a Santro on highway drive conditions from Bangalore to Yelagiri total one-way distance of 220km, road conditions were good.

AC usage was minimal. Sedate driving with max speed of 80 kmph.
Old 6th January 2011, 15:41   #2513
Senior - BHPian

Got a FE of 15kmpl for my Fiesta over the last three refuels. This was achieved with city and highway driving and minimal usage of AC. The speeds maintained in the city limits were around 60 and on highways between 80-100.
Old 6th January 2011, 15:54   #2514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi. I am having a 800 5 speed. 2002 with just 19000kms. on odo,Igot it 2nd hand last year.
I get JUST 11 KMS in city driving without AC and very careful driving like as follows.This test done 3 to 4 times by top up of petrol.About my driving habits and experience, I am driving for the last 39 yrs.

Switching Off the engine at traffic lights.
No AC used at all.
speed maintained at 50 kms.at an average.
No harsh acceleration.
No sudden braking and abruptly stopping.
Wheels are free.
Tyre pressure maintained.
Nothing seems wrong with MPFI as car starts in first self in the morning.
Synthetic engine and gear oil used.
Wheel alighnment and balancing done recently when tyres were replaced.
Gurus pls guide what is wrong and where????????? what to do to get that 16.-18 kms /ltr
Are you sure that the vehicle has done just 19K km, I doubt it. Are you facing any pickup related problem ? if yes go for a compression test.

I am also having a 5 speed Maruti 800 , it gives me 15-16.5 kmpl in Bangalore city driving condition.

Last edited by tj123 : 6th January 2011 at 15:55. Reason: typo
Old 6th January 2011, 15:56   #2515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Got a FE of 18.6 kmpl in a Santro on highway drive conditions from Bangalore to Yelagiri total one-way distance of 220km, road conditions were good.

AC usage was minimal. Sedate driving with max speed of 80 kmph.
Can surely be bettered. I have managed 18.8kmpl on my 1.3 Ikon from Palakkad to Bangalore with low A/C usage and speeds max at 100kmph. (This was because my wife was unwell during the trip)

I am sure a lighter car such as the Santro could do better. It is also possible the last leg of your trip was uphill to get to Yelagiri.
Old 6th January 2011, 16:37   #2516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Can surely be bettered. I have managed 18.8kmpl on my 1.3 Ikon from Palakkad to Bangalore with low A/C usage and speeds max at 100kmph. (This was because my wife was unwell during the trip)

I am sure a lighter car such as the Santro could do better. It is also possible the last leg of your trip was uphill to get to Yelagiri.
Actually I tanked up in Tirupattur, foot hills of Yelagiri hence loss of FE due to gradient can be discounted. Point which I missed earlier was that I faced quite a lot of traffic while exiting Bangalore (near electronic City).

Overall I feel this mileage is decent for a Santro as it is a tall boy design and has a much higher drag at high speed compared to a sedan.
Old 6th January 2011, 17:39   #2517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

My Ford Ikon(Flair 1.3) gives around 16KMPL constant for long drives. (Almost 6 years completed now).

Honda City VTEC Zxi (Almost same --6 yr old) too gives 15-16 on highways.

Innova gives around 12-13 on long trips (full A/c 100-120 speed range)
Old 6th January 2011, 19:06   #2518
Senior - BHPian

Petrol Safari 2003 always above 8kmpl even in bad roads. Max I fetched is 11.7kmpl with AC on. Amazing vehicle but I am transfering Safari back to its previous owner after his humble request when he is back to India last month. I sold it back to him after depreciation calculation for using it for 1 year and I didn't take any advantage of it

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:20   #2519
Senior - BHPian

A-Star_AT initial FE figures

Initial FE figures of our A*-AT at 700-odd kms is 12kmpl with a/c on always. Driven by newbies with speeds between 30 - 50kmph for most of the duration, some hilly roads, small-town Kerala traffic etc.

FE calculated by setting tripmeter to 0 when Low Fuel Indicator (LFI) pops-up on the digital fuel-gauge, then filling 10litres and noting kms run (X) till LFI pops up again. FE = X/10 kmpl.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:17   #2520
BHPian

Our Ford Ikon TDCi regularly gives 22kmpl in Tankful to tankful method. The car is now 2 years , 40,000 km old.

Usual driving is on a very congested highway, would rate that as 70% highway + 30% city under normal conditions. Drives mostly in the 70-90 range where possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks