Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2008, 16:03   #346
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive drove the Palio MJD inside Fiat's Ranjangaon plant and their article has the specs rated at 80bhp and 190Nm of torque. The car being driven had the words "Palio Multijet Diesel Prototype" written across it's front where the number plate usually fits and OD mentioned that the car wasn't the final production vehicle yet.

BSM mentioned 70bhp and OD says 80bhp.

Seems like Fiat is still fine tuning the Palio MJD.
Old 4th February 2008, 16:38   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islahuddin View Post
In today's ET , there's an article on Fiat's re-branding strategy and also pricing news on Fiat Palio 1.3

"The company has also lined up a host of new launches for this year across various segments. Around March, it plans to launch the Palio Stile with the 1.3-litre multijet diesel engine. Sources said it will be very competitively priced vis-a-vis the Swift diesel, the other hot hatch that also uses the same engine"

I am eagerly awaiting this launch to finalise my buying plans
The ET article about Fiat's re-branding and launch of new models was out a while before the Auto expo as well right? unless I missed somehting?
Old 4th February 2008, 18:50   #348
Senior - BHPian

Palio 1.3 Multijet @ Auto Expo

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

Probably the guy at the dealers end lied to me about the Palio MJD displayed in the AutoExpo as the engines clearly show a different picture, when I checked the URL provided. Thanks for the link.

Yes, the article was out on MJD even before the Auto-Expo. Thats is where the news about the Palio MJD started. Now I am confused between Palio 1.6 sport & MJD.
Old 4th February 2008, 18:54   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Overdrive drove the Palio MJD inside Fiat's Ranjangaon plant and their article has the specs rated at 80bhp and 190Nm of torque. The car being driven had the words "Palio Multijet Diesel Prototype" written across it's front where the number plate usually fits and OD mentioned that the car wasn't the final production vehicle yet.

Fiat India people at expo said 75bhp and 170NM
Old 4th February 2008, 21:31   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
FEB issue of ACI says production has started at the Ranjangoan factory. Good news to all those waiting for this one.

However, bad news for all those betting on the numbers (as against swift diesel), the target is only 500 units a month.
Old 4th February 2008, 21:37   #351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
However, bad news for all those betting on the numbers (as against swift diesel), the target is only 500 units a month.
Which might also mean a not-so-good price point
Old 5th February 2008, 12:15   #352
BHPian

Yesterday called up the sales person at Shaman Auto Prabhadevi for asking the arrival date of Palio MJD. What he told me was, There are number of TATA launch lined up (Indigo CS, Indica Dicor, Sumo Grande). So they (TATA new models) will be launched first in Feb and March. Then Fiat line up will start. So he told me that the estimated month of March would go to April 08

Now this shows how seriously TATA would help Fiat. They are just not bothered.
Old 5th February 2008, 12:50   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
OD says the car they drove was not production ready so it seems like Fiat is still fine tuning the car. They also said that despite the car being lighter then Swift it didn't feel as zippy to drive but that could change depending on whether Fiat tunes the car for fuel efficiency or performance.
Old 5th February 2008, 13:08   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The 80 bhp & 190nm torque are the details which are mixed up with Grand Punto.
Wat I think is that 190 Nm torque is a little too much for the Palio MJD. Around 160Nm seems to be ideal for Palio, whereas 190nm goes well well with Punto.
Old 5th February 2008, 13:10   #355
BHPian

Quote:
OD says the car they drove was not production ready so it seems like Fiat is still fine tuning the car. They also said that despite the car being lighter then Swift it didn't feel as zippy to drive but that could change depending on whether Fiat tunes the car for fuel efficiency or performance.

I think Fiat will tune it for FE ! Fiat cars have a general conception of being gas guzzlers , which they would want to improve !
Old 5th February 2008, 14:29   #356
BHPian

gas guzzlers ? correct thats the important feature in any Fiat I wonder how much FE MJD would return inspite of having the same engine of Swift diesel. but anyhow Fiat is also known for having electrical problems in each and every car produced by them. so even if the palio mjd comes in march/april 08 i will buy only in early 2009 because by that time Fiat will cut down the spares cost & also give discount on new cars.
Old 5th February 2008, 14:47   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Are they insane or what? What are they trying to achieve by setting themselves a target of 500 units?
Old 5th February 2008, 15:05   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Are they insane or what? What are they trying to achieve by setting themselves a target of 500 units?
Is it more or less?

I think it is a realistic target to start with!
Old 5th February 2008, 15:10   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Is it more or less?

I think it is a realistic target to start with!
IMHO , this is a smaller target that FIAT India has set for itself considering the car comes with a gem of an engine which has already proved itself in Swift D.
Old 5th February 2008, 15:41   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
gas guzzlers ? correct thats the important feature in any Fiat I wonder how much FE MJD would return inspite of having the same engine of Swift diesel.
The FE will not be that much different from Swift. The minor differences will be because of how the cars are set up (performance v/s mileage), tyre size and air pressure and gear ratios. I think the Palio already has the weight advantage over the Swift so it shouldn't be difficult for Fiat to tune the vehicle in a way that it returns better mileage then Swift if they want to.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks