Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2008, 10:28   #136
BANNED

@rajneesh: Hey surprise surprise. his discussion is not whether its an SUV or MUV. For your knowledge, they are even calling the Innova,tavera and the Sumo a SUV. Funny no.
Old 13th July 2008, 10:35   #137
Senior - BHPian

"So what if its sold so much ? M800 still sells more than this. So, this does not mean we go on writing endless threads in its admiration. Truth has to be told.[/quote]

Bolero costs thrice as much. And it is safer than an 800.
Old 13th July 2008, 17:26   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

A company wont mostly replace a well selling product. A very good example of the opposite is Toyota Qualis, but then you should look at the way Toyota works, their policies and decisions are wel thought out and probably why today it has overtaken GM.
IMO, Mahindra had sufficient time to create a vehicle for replacement of Bolero. I respect Bolero for what it has accomplished, but this is bad on Mahindra's part that still, even now they are not having a good vehicle to take the lead on.

With Scorpio and subsequent improvements in Scorpio range, Mahindra has proved that its capable to deliver better things. Bolero with All round independent suspension and a brand new chassis ( atleast ) is what I am expecting as a replacement.

Quote:

I dont think many folks will buy a Sumo and a Tavera for personal use - what after it is being used more as a Cab/Taxi.
Atleast in Gujarat, Tavera is still bought as personal vehicle and are generally high end versions. We ourselves test drove Tavera in October 2005 before settling in for Baleno. The GM sales personal told us that we can go in for the lower version and fit in Japanese made rear A/C.

Quote:

That would drive up the price of the Bolero, its USP. But hey they are getting the 100 bhp CRDe. The Sumo couldn't have handled the 2.2 engine so the Sumo Grande.

As of now this engine is not available.
However, I expect a new chassis and all round independent suspension if at all this engine makes it into Bolero. I hope that they dont come up with adding a cross member in chassis and claim it to be new.
Old 13th July 2008, 19:09   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
his discussion is not whether its an SUV or MUV. For your knowledge, they are even calling the Innova,tavera and the Sumo a SUV. Funny no.
If the Bolero is an SUV, all the others mentioned, as well as the Sonalika Rhino are SUVs.

What a joke. Bolero an SUV! But I guess this is a true democracy - what you see is what you are.
Old 14th July 2008, 09:12   #140
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I do not think it makes great sense for Bhp1 to compare the Alto and Bolero.
Yes, the Alto is new in technology compared with the Bolero etc etc etc
and I agree with Spitfire that if one doesnt like the Bolero, simply dont buy it!
Yet, it is the largest selling MUV/SUV in India - obviously it has several things going for it!

Quote:
@bhp1: You are indeed correct the Alto is a much better vehicle then the Bolero even the 800. The Bolero uses WWII tech (honest) compared to the Alto which is much newer.

But for 10 years!!!! you kept going back to have a look at the Bolero? why my friend?

If you dont like a particular vehicle dont buy it.
Old 14th July 2008, 09:45   #141
Team-BHP Support

I wonder who called Bolero SUV.

Under all classifications, Innova, Tavera, Qualis, Bolero are UV/MUVs.
Only Scorpio/Safari are called SUVs in the sub 10L bracket.
Old 14th July 2008, 09:53   #142
Senior - BHPian

May be the Bolero is an MUV/UV. What about the Commando, which is nothing but a highly customized Bolero? I guess, it certainly fits the bill as an SUV. Looks macho, has the road presence and last but not the least, great off road capabilities.

Pasting a link from the forum to the Commando.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sn-t-cool.html
Old 14th July 2008, 09:55   #143
Team-BHP Support

If I add 4 fog lamps and some body paneling to the Tavera, will it become a SUV?
The commando is a "pickup".
Atmost it can be classified as a jeep, which comes under UVs.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:20   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If I add 4 fog lamps and some body paneling to the Tavera, will it become a SUV?
Please define SUV. Does presence of 4x4 convert an UV to a SUV?

As far as Bolero goes, its predecessor being the Armada which traces links back to Commander which would go back to the erstwhile Jeep.

For me, any vehicle designed keeping in mind the utility of ferrying people would be a people mover (MUV for some). Bolero is one versatile platform, wherein some variants of the vehicle appeal to the passenger ferry business, some do goods transportation and some climb rocks. So its a bit of everything.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:36   #145
BHPian

I'm not sure what we are contesting here.
My RC book says its an MUV or UV (definitely not an SUV)

I don't think anybody claimed that Bolero is an SUV.

-- Torqy
Old 14th July 2008, 10:36   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In that case, the Scorpio Getaway too is a Jeep as even its a pick up. Further I remember Mahindra Customizing the Scorpio and had named it as "Platoon". It was also on the similar lines as that of the commando. Does it loose its tag of an SUV and become a UV?

What about the Endeavor? Where does it go? It's based on the Ranger (??) which is a pickup. UV/SUV/MUV? Just because it has some muscles??

What is endorsed on the RC book of Scorpio owners?

Last edited by amtak : 14th July 2008 at 10:45.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:51   #147
BANNED

Torqy/ Spitfire
In some of the earlier posts this topic came up - and people have referred to the Bolero as UV/MUV/SUV etc etc etc.

Even my RC Book said MUV.

Frankly according to me, it doesnt really matter much and this was not the original topic of the thread at all.

Lets get off this argument which seems to be raging around us and stay with discussing the vehicle per se and its advantages and disadvantages as known and experienced.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I'm not sure what we are contesting here.
My RC book says its an MUV or UV (definitely not an SUV)

I don't think anybody claimed that Bolero is an SUV.

-- Torqy
Old 14th July 2008, 12:07   #148
BHPian

At the end of the day we all (mostly) want our vehicles to be something more than what we actually bought.

Some people fix k&n, ffe....
Some fix turbos.
Some fix spoilers.
Some fit alloy wheels, wider tyres.
Some stick all sorts of performance product stickers.
Some fix WRC stickers on their vehicles.
Some fix 4x4 stickers.
Some paint it wild.
Some fix rally seats.
Some fix sports steering.
Some fix discotheques inside their cars.
Some fix fog lamps.

These could be on an M800, or an Alto or a battered Amby...or a Bolero. It doesn't matter. It doesn't make them any LESSER if they do it on an M800.....and they don't do it to be called an SUV either.

Last edited by Torqy : 14th July 2008 at 12:09.
Old 14th July 2008, 13:47   #149
BANNED

Personalization is the name of the game eh Torqy?

Incidentally, (OT) my neighbour some years ago had fixed the spare tyre of his indica onto the rear hatchback - it used to buzz around like a micro mini SUV - oops!!! - /MUV/UV/Jeep.
Quite cute it looked actually.

But the Bolero, whatever people may choose to call it, Rural Wagon, SUV/MUV/UV/Truck/Jeep/ People Mover/Agricultural Implement and what have you, is still an excellent value for money vehicle from the point of view of people who are constrained by a budget and still want a good vehicle with some few creature comforts, indestructibility, low maintenance, Diesel engined and with proven toughness.

Incidentally, the Bolero insulates one completely from the outside road noise/ horns etc etc, when the AC is on and the windows are up. Of course the AC Blower hiss is pretty loud too, but then why not? It is an excellent AC - I found it to be very comfortable even in Chennai!

The fact that the Bolero is a winner and is pretty much what a large number of Indians want, is borne out inescapably in the sales figures.

Good Show Bolerocheers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
At the end of the day we all (mostly) want our vehicles to be something more than what we actually bought.

Some people fix k&n, ffe....
Some fix turbos.
Some fix spoilers.
Some fit alloy wheels, wider tyres.
Some stick all sorts of performance product stickers.
Some fix WRC stickers on their vehicles.
Some fix 4x4 stickers.
Some paint it wild.
Some fix rally seats.
Some fix sports steering.
Some fix discotheques inside their cars.
Some fix fog lamps.

These could be on an M800, or an Alto or a battered Amby...or a Bolero. It doesn't matter. It doesn't make them any LESSER if they do it on an M800.....and they don't do it to be called an SUV either.

Old 14th July 2008, 13:54   #150
nbr
BHPian

only BOLERO offers 4*4 option in the MUV segmnt.The chasis of BOLERO are a lot more togher than the likes of TAVERA/INNOVA, if the vehicle is subjected to off roading.So,IMO, there is no harm in branding BOLERO 4*4 as one SUV .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks