Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2008, 01:15   #121
BANNED

BOLERO has been praised out of proportions here. It has no place in the urban world, its not an enthusiasts vehicle, its only meant for purpose & ie. either on rural turf or on unmettled roads or for hauling people.
BOLERO is crude to the core & mahindra hasnt improved enough on it since its inception. Whenever mahindra advertises big on the new bolero, I go to the showroom with high hopes , thinking of bringing one home. But as soon as I see it, Im turned off. This has been happening for the last 10 or so years.
It does not make any sense without a purpose. I would prefer an ALTO to it anyday, its a much modern & contemporary car than bolero.
Imagine a 0-100 time of >50 sec. , what is this? every other car in india does it under 20-25 secs. Its a complete slouch.
Rear seats are cramped, dashboard & steering ergonomics are poorest. SAFETY, well theres nothing here called safety.
So what if its sold so much ? M800 still sells more than this. So, this does not mean we go on writing endless threads in its admiration. Truth has to be told.
Old 12th July 2008, 02:41   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Jeep type MUV/SUV's are not meant for things like 0-100 sprints - stupid to even try.

I love both the journey and getting to the destination and I am not at all in favour of 'racing against time' on the roads. Not worth it IMO considering one could end up as a statistic on the wicked roads / highways of our country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
BOLERO has been praised out of proportions here. It has no place in the urban world, its not an enthusiasts vehicle, its only meant for purpose & ie. either on rural turf or on unmettled roads or for hauling people.
BOLERO is crude to the core & mahindra hasnt improved enough on it since its inception. Whenever mahindra advertises big on the new bolero, I go to the showroom with high hopes , thinking of bringing one home. But as soon as I see it, Im turned off. This has been happening for the last 10 or so years.
It does not make any sense without a purpose. I would prefer an ALTO to it anyday, its a much modern & contemporary car than bolero.
Imagine a 0-100 time of >50 sec. , what is this? every other car in india does it under 20-25 secs. Its a complete slouch.
Rear seats are cramped, dashboard & steering ergonomics are poorest. SAFETY, well theres nothing here called safety.
So what if its sold so much ? M800 still sells more than this. So, this does not mean we go on writing endless threads in its admiration. Truth has to be told.
@bhp1, you don't read the posts, do you? Or maybe you didn't understand. All the Bolero owners have repeatedly stated here that its NOT for 0-100 sprints. To read your post about 0-100 timing after all that was very amusing!!

Another surprising thing is you went to the showroom for the last 10 years just to get turned off. I can't believe you took 10 years to realize that a Bolero is NOT your vehicle....when there are umpteen contemporary options around. 10 long years. That's slower than the Bolero's 0-100.
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2008, 09:37   #123
BANNED

Quote:
@bhp1: You are indeed correct the Alto is a much better vehicle then the Bolero even the 800. The Bolero uses WWII tech (honest) compared to the Alto which is much newer.

But for 10 years!!!! you kept going back to have a look at the Bolero? why my friend?

If you dont like a particular vehicle dont buy it.
Old 12th July 2008, 13:42   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@bhp1: You are indeed correct the Alto is a much better vehicle then the Bolero even the 800. The Bolero uses WWII tech (honest) compared to the Alto which is much newer.

But for 10 years!!!! you kept going back to have a look at the Bolero? why my friend?

If you dont like a particular vehicle dont buy it.
I havent bought it . GOD has given you eyes to see, you dont get taxed to see. Every time mahindra goes overboard with advertisements, "NEW BOLERO LAUNCHED", I surely go to check out whats new? But the dissapointment is huge everytime. I always hoped against hope, that mahindra would do something worthwile, but alas I always forget its "mahindra' afterall, who are accustomed to selling antique vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
@bhp1, you don't read the posts, do you? Or maybe you didn't understand. All the Bolero owners have repeatedly stated here that its NOT for 0-100 sprints. To read your post about 0-100 timing after all that was very amusing!!

Another surprising thing is you went to the showroom for the last 10 years just to get turned off. I can't believe you took 10 years to realize that a Bolero is NOT your vehicle....when there are umpteen contemporary options around. 10 long years. That's slower than the Bolero's 0-100.
I have read all the posts, its not about sprints, surely, but who says you cant have something at par with the modern times, even a bulock cart would serve your purpose if it were not for sprints! How come it was not amusing for you to be reading about the out of the world prowess that bolero possesses , in the preceeding posts.
Yes you are right its not my type of vehicle right now, but I wish it were & so my frequent visits.
And if there are umpteen contemporary options according to you , then why so much raving about the bolero.
Old 12th July 2008, 17:20   #125
BANNED

Quote:
I havent bought it . GOD has given you eyes to see, you dont get taxed to see. Every time mahindra goes overboard with advertisements, "NEW BOLERO LAUNCHED", I surely go to check out whats new? But the dissapointment is huge everytime. I always hoped against hope, that mahindra would do something worthwile, but alas I always forget its "mahindra' afterall, who are accustomed to selling antique vehicles.

I have read all the posts, its not about sprints, surely, but who says you cant have something at par with the modern times, even a bulock cart would serve your purpose if it were not for sprints! How come it was not amusing for you to be reading about the out of the world prowess that bolero possesses , in the preceeding posts.
Yes you are right its not my type of vehicle right now, but I wish it were & so my frequent visits.
And if there are umpteen contemporary options according to you , then why so much raving about the bolero.
God has given me eyes and i didnt pay any tax you are right. But no one here said the Bolero is for you. Did we? We said its good for us the happy users.

This time New Bolero Launched will certainly mean it, a new engine and hopefully a whole world better.

Who talked about out of the world prowess? There you go again comapring a bullock cart to a Bolero, i think thats stupid. Why not the Zonda? Equally true argument but the opposite way. Got it? If you didnt say so.

From what i understand you want a fast, reliable go anywhere tough vehicle. What you should be using your tax free eyes which god has given to look at are the Pajero's, the Montero's, the M Class's and much better though why not get a import. The Land Rover Sport is an amazing offroad vehicle with all the safety, features and power you would ever need.

Note: If you want the world you should be ready to pay for it. Dont expect the world at the price of a Bolero.

if you still dont get it, not much we can do.

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th July 2008 at 17:26.
Old 12th July 2008, 19:05   #126
BANNED

Moderator's Note: This post has been deleted. Any further personal and OT content will attract an infraction.

Last edited by theMAG : 13th July 2008 at 22:16.
Old 12th July 2008, 19:17   #127
BANNED

Guys, why are you fighting and getting all personal with each other?

I think what bhp1 is trying to say is: If Mahindra can improve the Bolero to an acceptable urban extent at the current price, there'd be a bigger market for it.

A lot of us like and admire the Bolero but just wish Mahindra would improve it just that wee bit to gain urban acceptance.

I think the Bolero looks much more rugged and macho than the Scorpio. But if I were to look at, say, comfort & ergonomics (2 important urban acceptance criteria), I'd find the Bolero lacking.
Old 12th July 2008, 19:36   #128
BANNED

Yes Hrag, you are absolutely right, its only going to be good, if mahindra were to improve bolero drastically.
I too end up at the showrooms every now & then, as I admire the vehicle, but want it to improve before I buy one.
I also had the option of going in for scorpio, but to me bolero is more the jeep kinds & jeeps is what I want.
Old 12th July 2008, 22:17   #129
BANNED

Quote:
You are suggesting pajeros & monteros in place of bolero, are you in a balanced state of mind?
I will let this pass. I have been on forums all over the world and i really dont like personal comments. You dont know me neither do I know you. So dont get personal.

@Hrag: I have said it before and i am saying it again. Its a Jeep under the skin, ergonomics and comfort will be a compromise. But then its not so bad. I have driven my Bolero for 1.2 lakhs 70% city 30% highway. I never had a very sore back neither any spinal related issues. You can fit in the Esteem seats in the Bolero, i have seen this and it works. What's wee bit? Whats that you want? Can you list it. Please do i want to know.

On a side: They did improve the Bolero long time back. They got a 2.6 engine, a host of comfort features and they called it a Scorpio. Get it? Now you want the Scorpio to be sold at Bolero prices? Comeon man your argument stands true for every car manufactured anywhere in the world. What you are talking about is perfection at the price of the 800. How many here think the 800 is not overpriced for what it offers?

@bhp1: What have we the Bolero owners misguided you on? Where did we say the Bolero is best in the world?

No one raved about the CRDe engine, we are talking about it like mature individuals who know our wheels and its shortcomings. Where is the raving? We are waiting for it as eager as you are waiting to have a better engine in your Alto. We know from confirmed sources that it is 100 bhp and our anticipation is that 100 bhp will be what we were looking for in the Bolero.

Quote:
No I need a contemporary vehicle, in sync. with the times. Getting all good features should not cost the earth, there can be good vehicles in every category.
What features are you talking about?
Power Steering - its there.
Power Windows - its there.
A Good AC - its there.
Independent Front Suspension - its there(2WD).
Central Locking - its there.
Keyless Entry - its there.
Music System - its there. (OEM's are not the best anyways)

What more are you looking for? I am really at a lost.

Before you add your list remember features add to the price list - so dont keep thinking that you get ypur wishlist and still give it to you for the same price.

Quote:
Yes this is what I mean, I have been always wanting bolero to improve & this new engine you are talking about, could have come much earlier with other changes & made you more happier. So again I shall go to the showroom & check the new one out, as its been already raved about.
So you want the features from all over the world plus the best engine in the world and still at the same price of the Bolero as sold now?

Moderator's note: Post edited. OT and personal content is best kept to PM - not on the public board.

Last edited by theMAG : 13th July 2008 at 22:26.
Old 12th July 2008, 22:31   #130
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@Hrag: They did improve the Bolero long time back. They got a 2.6 engine, a host of comfort features and they called it a Scorpio. Get it? Now you want the Scorpio to be sold at Bolero prices? Comeon man your argument stands true for every car manufactured anywhere in the world. What you are talking about is perfection at the price of the 800. How many here think the 800 is not overpriced for what it offers?
Spitfire, I don't want a Scorpio at the price of a Bolero. I don't want perfection (however it is defined in your books) at the price of a Maruti 800.

Even if Mahindra improve the driver ergonomics alone, it would suffice for me. I hope I'm making more sense now.
Old 12th July 2008, 22:34   #131
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Even if Mahindra improve the driver ergonomics alone, it would suffice for me. I hope I'm making more sense now.
Ergonomics as found in? Which model on Indian roads?

Remember its a Jeep. If you are in Bangalore and you are going to purchase a Bolero, i will personally help you getting the best tailor made ergonomics for you in the Bolero. It will cost you a bit but not too much. Looking at your profile seems you are in Madras. Since everything seems fine with the Bolero for you we can get this sorted. Let me know when you are buying that Bolero.

My books are way different from yours so yes meaning of perfection will differ for you and me. Apologies.

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th July 2008 at 22:47.
Old 12th July 2008, 23:02   #132
Senior - BHPian

Though i am not much of a jeep guy and have never owned one, the only jeep type vehicle that made me feel that i should own one is the CLASSIC... What a jeep! If there was anything after the CLASSIC that made me feel wow! was the BOLERO! So I am happy its selling in good numbers and I will always hope that it will improve like wat all the jeep experts here are saying... I may not own one since I am not too much into jeep type vehicles.. But the posts by Spitfire and Sankar are very educative and would help a first time jeep buyer to be in perspective of what to expect from it and what not to!! My 2 $$
Old 12th July 2008, 23:38   #133
Senior - BHPian

Its really surprising that Mahindra Bolero is the highest selling SUV. Its an achievement in any case. When it was first launched, it was compared with Toytoa Qualis and Tata Sumo. IIRC, Bolero came with Indepedent Front Suspension ( IFS ). Autocar India at that point of time appriciated Bolero for its ride quality and specifically the IFS.

However,
1)
Mahindra has still not come up with replacement.

2)
The car still is not that good for the Urban family. Please dont get me wrong here. What I want to say is that the urban customer who is looking forward to carrying approx 6-7 persons in comfort wont be looking at this vehicle. IMO, Tavera and Sumo are still the preference to these buyers.
Scorpio is a level up than this.

3)
The 2.2 mHawk engine developed with AVL ( Correct me if wrong ) is still to make debut in this vehicle. I think that just as TATA has plonked the Safari's 2.2 in Grande Sumo, Mahindra could do the same with less power on tap.
Old 13th July 2008, 00:36   #134
BANNED

Quote:
1) Mahindra has still not come up with replacement.
A company wont mostly replace a well selling product. A very good example of the opposite is Toyota Qualis, but then you should look at the way Toyota works, their policies and decisions are wel thought out and probably why today it has overtaken GM.

Quote:
2)The car still is not that good for the Urban family. Please dont get me wrong here. What I want to say is that the urban customer who is looking forward to carrying approx 6-7 persons in comfort wont be looking at this vehicle. IMO, Tavera and Sumo are still the preference to these buyers.
Scorpio is a level up than this.
Well a Jeep is a Jeep is a Jeep. Albeit without 4WD. And yes it struggles to accomodate 6-7 people. But then it has the XL range. Still image is an issue. I dont think many folks will buy a Sumo and a Tavera for personal use - what after it is being used more as a Cab/Taxi.

Quote:
3) The 2.2 mHawk engine developed with AVL ( Correct me if wrong ) is still to make debut in this vehicle. I think that just as TATA has plonked the Safari's 2.2 in Grande Sumo, Mahindra could do the same with less power on tap.
That would drive up the price of the Bolero, its USP. But hey they are getting the 100 bhp CRDe. The Sumo couldnt have handled the 2.2 engine so the Sumo Grande.
Old 13th July 2008, 10:14   #135
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

My two cents:

1) Bolero does satisfy a fairly big segment of the population who buy it. So it has some merit as a product.

However, it is not a SUV by any stretch of imagination.

1)A SUV should have a certain level of performance ( sports) which the Bolero sorely lacks.
2) It should have a decent off road ability ( has it in some measure).
3)Should have a certain level of refinement, comfort creatures etc. ( lacking in Bolero).

In my opinion this makes the Bolero a capable MUV ( multi utility vehicle) . But a SUV, ( you got to be kidding).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks