Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 14:03   #151
Senior - BHPian

Dont you all agree that the mods need to change the title of this thread to " India's largest selling UV/MUV: Mahindra Bolero " ..

Quote:
So,IMO, there is no harm in branding BOLERO 4*4 as one SUV
nbr I still fail to fathom how a UV could be called an SUV. I am sure there is a distinct line between these two terms and hence there should be a protocol in place for a vehicle to qualify as a UV or SUV. Aint it ?

Just because its got a tougher chassis does it qualify to be called one ?
Old 14th July 2008, 14:05   #152
jp1
BHPian

Bolero for some is an SUV and for others it is not, Mahindra projects it as an SUV. Leaving aside suv/muv argument, in my opinion, Bolero is selling due to its distinct character which satisfies people in cities as well as in rural areas

Urban : Most of the people in the cities buy it due to its 'Jeep' character. They wanted to have a jeep type (means tough, go anywhere vehicle) descent vehicle and the closest you can get is Bolero. In addition, it has a super cooling air conditioner, more than basic comforts, low maintenance cost, reliability and price. I do not think anybody in the city buy it as a people mover (except may be XL used by BPO cabs), if that is the case, they will go for Sumo.

Rural : 'Modern', comfortable vehicle, reliability and low maintenance cost, price - Most of the buyers are already using of Mahindra tractors or their jeeps and its reliability well known. So it is natural that these crowd would upgrade to the more comfortable Bolero as a family vehicle. I don't think anybody in rural areas buy a Bolero as a people mover, if that is the case they will stick to the normal Mahindra jeeps which can accommodate nearly 20 people.
Old 14th July 2008, 14:09   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If the Bolero is an SUV, all the others mentioned, as well as the Sonalika Rhino are SUVs.

What a joke. Bolero an SUV! But I guess this is a true democracy - what you see is what you are.
Where did i call it a SUV? You are a Mod here should know better then jump in and ***-u-me.

The RC book even calls it a UV. So much for your joke on democracy LOL.

Last edited by Spitfire : 14th July 2008 at 14:10.
Old 14th July 2008, 14:11   #154
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

check this definition of SUV as per wikipedia and then decide
Sport utility vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Going by this definition, as I've said before on this thread, I think it would not be stretching things at all if one were to call a Bolero an SUV, albeit a "budget" one.

However, I believe we are all clear that it is NOT a Luxury SUV like a Landcruiser/ Range Rover but by the same logic, neither is it a "Crossover" like a Fusion or Forester nor a "SoftRoader" like a CRV or Captiva.

I guess it boils down to "each his own".
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Dont you all agree that the mods need to change the title of this thread to " India's largest selling UV/MUV: Mahindra Bolero " ..

nbr I still fail to fathom how a UV could be called an SUV. I am sure there is a distinct line between these two terms and hence there should be a protocol in place for a vehicle to qualify as a UV or SUV. Aint it ?

Just because its got a tougher chassis does it qualify to be called one ?
Old 14th July 2008, 14:25   #155
jp1
BHPian

Why not an SUV? It has almost everything an expensive SUV has

Electric 4x4 - off roader
Air conditioner
Power windows
Power steering
MP3 Music system
Seat belts.
Keyless entry
Central locking

Is there anything missing in it comparing other SUVs, Now compare the cost. The only thing missing is a modern engine which it is getting shortly.
Old 14th July 2008, 14:46   #156
BANNED

well put
and it could be that the poor bolero is generally not considered an SUV because it may lack the snob value of something more expensive.
But put like you have, logically, it can be called an SUV.
end of the day, those people who either now own one or have owned one before (including myself), are well able to appreciate the virtues of the Bolero and if they wish to, I am sure, they shall definitely refer to it as an SUV/ Budget SUV or whatever.
So its cool!
cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

Air conditioner
Power windows
Power steering
MP3 Music system
Seat belts.
Keyless entry
Central locking

Is there anything missing in it comparing other SUVs, Now compare the cost. The only thing missing is a modern engine which it is getting shortly.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th July 2008 at 14:52.
Old 14th July 2008, 14:47   #157
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

Air conditioner
Power windows
Power steering
MP3 Music system
Seat belts.
Keyless entry
Central locking

Good one bro, i dont really care what you call it. I am happy with what i have got. Others can make all the fun they want too. Like the Bolero just drive on.

If you look at it no one here knows what actually a SUV is, and thats the biggest joke.

Look for threads where other members have tried and defined SUV and you see that everyone has a difference of opinion. Look for these threads in the 4x4 section.
Old 14th July 2008, 15:00   #158
BHPian

if gypsy, mahindra major, MM550 etc etc etc are all called SUV then why not BOLERO?? it has a 4*4 drive, it has better comforts, it has participated in many mahindra great escapes etc. Now if one wants to say that SLX 4*4 variant doesn't sell then which 4*4 does ??? scorpio, safari, endeavour all have 4*4 which don't sell. there too its the 4*2 variants which are selling in greater nos... But they are called as SUV. WHY??
Old 14th July 2008, 15:06   #159
BANNED

I dont think this problem has yet really been solved
you see, those front flaps are only stuck on, not bolted on, so they arent very strong.
one of these days when the rains beat down in Bangalore Im going to test the new bolero with the front flaps - and see for myself if they help to the extent claimed.
In the new Scorpio, they do help - but this new bumper has moulded flaps at the bottom and is stronger.
In some old gypsy's and boleros ive seen that the owners fixed the same type of mudflaps as are located behind the tyres, in front of the tyres - it looked very ugly but it was highly effective to prevent water splashing onto the bonnet and windscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well spitfire is the water splashing on the windscreen problem solved with the new bolero front design?
Frankly telling you the reason bolero doesnt do wel in taxi segment is because you Cant make 4 sit in the middle row and No 4 people again cant sit in the rear. This can seat 5 comfortably and 2 in the rear.
One thing i notice is Dad had the esteem which was used for long trips but after getting the bolero the esteem has taken a back seat as all out trips are on this vehicle. We wont mind as this can take bad roads and it wont whimper. With only this vehicle did we have the guts to take the balele hunsur route to mysore as the roads in some areas are horrible and add to it the dense jungle and also the Best part is only 1 bus travels through this route daily.
Old 14th July 2008, 15:09   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
If you look at it no one here knows what actually a SUV is, and thats the biggest joke.
To a Montero / Pajero / Toureg / Cayenne even Safaris and Scorpios might look like jokes....err ..UV / MUVs.

Please note that i'm NOT doing any Safari / Scorpio (or any other SUV) bashing here. I just wanted to point out that "The higher up you are in the automobile chain, the more jokes you get to see around".

Bolero is built to a price...and for that price, its quite decent...not forgetting its shortcomings.
Old 14th July 2008, 15:20   #161
BANNED

Most of us tend to conveniently forget that some years ago, we mostly began on the humble 100 cc bikes or Yezdis or whatever- as you said, the higher one moves up the auto value chain, the more likely one is, to dismiss the lesser mortals amongst the automobiles..
human nature I think.
But Im a 100% with you in your statement about value! In that aspect the Bolero comes up trumps, every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
To a Montero / Pajero / Toureg / Cayenne even Safaris and Scorpios might look like jokes....err ..UV / MUVs.

Please note that i'm NOT doing any Safari / Scorpio (or any other SUV) bashing here. I just wanted to point out that "The higher up you are in the automobile chain, the more jokes you get to see around".

Bolero is built to a price...and for that price, its quite decent...not forgetting its shortcomings.
Old 14th July 2008, 15:24   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If the Bolero is an SUV, all the others mentioned, as well as the Sonalika Rhino are SUVs.

What a joke. Bolero an SUV! But I guess this is a true democracy - what you see is what you are.
Where did i call it a SUV? You are a Mod here should know better then jump in and ***-u-me.

The RC book even calls it a UV. So much for your joke on democracy LOL.
He thought you called it a SUV, just like you thought he is a mod. Mistakes happen.

Alright guys, now cool down. The names are often misused by marketing department to sell products. Besides, the differences are thinning all time and muddling the calm waters. For example, these days it has become difficult to define what is a luxury car. Same goes for SUV.
Old 14th July 2008, 15:29   #163
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He thought you called it a SUV, just like you thought he is a mod. Mistakes happen.

Alright guys, now cool down. The names are often misused by marketing department to sell products. Besides, the differences are thinning all time and muddling the calm waters. For example, these days it has become difficult to define what is a luxury car. Same goes for SUV.
LOL it was intentional though .

Yeah no one here(the Bolero owners) call their Jeep a SUV. We actually dont like it to be called a SUV.
Old 14th July 2008, 15:53   #164
Senior - BHPian

Ya i prefer calling it the BOLERO only not an suv
Different people have different tastes so its basically not right to try to get them like your tastes. This is a general comment
Old 14th July 2008, 17:31   #165
BHPian

The title says : " India's Largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero "

and all we can see in it is just an " S " & fight for it - even getting on to personal attacks.

The objective of this thread as i understand is, Bolero is top on the sales chart & a discussion on its success story.

IMHO, It's selling good numbers because:
  • Its closer to the normal customer's (in its class) expectation & not because its perfect. A normal customer is not a bhpian or a hard core automobile enthusiast. He is looking for utility & VFM.
  • Its projected image by the marketing team.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks