Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2008, 12:25   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Verna and Fiesta need to be afraid of Dzire. Suzuki never had a diesel sedan and Accent and Ikon had a field day because of this. Accent and Ikon passed this legacy on to Verna and Fiesta. But with Dzire diesel's launch imminent, they really need to fear. Verna / Fiesta are not in the same league as Skoda sedans and hence some Verna / Fiesta buyers wouldn't mind buying Dzire and saving some money in the process. After all, if Verna / Fiesta buyers do not mind buying NHC ( a Jazz-based sedan ), then how would they mind buying a Swift-based sedan? Fiesta at least looks good but the same can not be said about Verna. Also, some consider Hyundai brand an infra-dig and Ford notorious for a.s.s. and high spare prices. Except Mitsu Lancer, there hasn't been a single Jap diesel sedan in the market. Mitsu hasn't been a success because of high price and HM's image. No one can beat Maruti on relaibility, a.s.s., low spare cost and resale value. It will basically be a quality Jap sedan at an affordable price.

Logan also has a lot to fear. It is very hard to like its looks and it is over-priced for what it offers. Only Indigo may weather this storm because of low prices. But its sales will take a hit, too.

Having said all this, I do not personally like hatch-based sedans. I find the looks of New Honda City, Indigo and Dzire very ugly. If NHC and Indigo can sell in high numbers, then Dzire with lower sticker price should set the sales charts afire but all these three cars are no no for me.
Verna vs Dzire ?
Oh come on man there is no comparison bet. the two. Verna can anytime beat Dzire in every espects, performance, built quality, everything.
A person who had driven Verna even in the TD, had fallen in love with the ultimate performance of Verna. Do you think Dzire have this type of performance?
Mate this is a big big difference bet. the 2 cars and the segments too. A person who can afford Verna will never ever go for Dzire.

Verna Petrol vs Dzire Petrol:
Verna a clear winner. No Match

Verna Diesel vs Dzire Diesel:
Verna a clear winner. No Match

Ford Fiesta vs Dzire?
We had horror stories about the Ford's After Sale Service and Spare Parts. Now they are improving much better.
Can't comment on Ford Fiesta head to head with Dzire.

If it is petrol ofcourse Ford Fiesta a clear winner in petrol. No Match
If it is diesel then i can't comment on it because i don't know about handling of Dzire and don't know much about Fiesta D's performance.

You are right nobody can beat maruti suzuki in terms of A.S.S but Hyundai is not behind either. Not much of a difference in the price for the 2.
There is not much of a difference bet. the A.S.S of SX4 and Verna. Hardly few buck's difference.

It should be SX4 vs Verna vs Fiesta not Dzire vs Verna vs Fiesta.

No Offense guys, What if we compare the built quality? Sorry to say Maruti Suzuki stands nowhere.

Everybody have their own thoughts and mentality. There are people who can compromise a lot just to save 10-20k bucks. They can spend 3 lakh bucks on a good car but many many of them can't spend 3 lakh 20 lakh to get more better deal.
But a person who can spend 9 lakh on Verna wont ever means ever spend 5-6 lakh bucks on Dzire. Because both the car's have no match for each other and a person who can spend 9 lakh on NHC wont spend 5-6 lakh on Dzire again no match for each other.

NHC have brand name "Honda", built quality, performance, reliability, superb resale which Dzire Petrol with brand name "Maruti Suzuki" lacks if compared with NHC.

It may be hot fav. among the people who's budget wont be 8-9 lakh but people whos budget will be 8-9 lakh wont even consider Dzire in their list.
It is same as if a person wants to buy corollas, civics wont even consider SX4 in his/her list. Because there is no comparison.

As i said it will be a head to head with logan, accent, ikon (included now), indigo but not Verna or NHC or Fiesta.

Comments Guys.
Old 24th March 2008, 12:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I think we're getting carried away here - the Swift with a boot is being seen as a threat to a wide segment of cars from the Indigo to the City, which is rather unrealistic. Lets face it - it is a Swift at the end of the day, which is cramped on space when compared to most, if not all other, C-Segment hatches.

Yes it will make an impact initially if priced right, but unlike the premium Hatch market where it stole a march on others on account of being the only premium diesel vehicle, this time it has its job cut out against a market full of premium diesels.
i think you said it right. The Swift Dzire looks 'ugly'. I though the Indigo looked ugly but this car takes the cake. And yes the Dzire doesnt look too spacious at all. To be frank this is a sore looser compared to the path breaking Esteem that it is supposed to replace.
Old 24th March 2008, 12:52   #48
BHPian

Quite a hot issue...

The main focus is on diesel dzire,

well firstly this price bracket is ruled by Indigo/Logan/accent/ikon, unto today indigo looked quite promosing but has service problem also built quality is doubted. Logan quite good product but lookwise quite datethogh d & diesel engine too costly. Accent & ikon are now nearing history.

Now by dzire by maruti's proven record of a good quality with a very nice & frugal diesel engine & an ultimate after sales.

hence i think dzire can be a sure shot winner if priced rightly but it can be a threat to fiesta & verna as features which it has promised at at par with these vehicles with an engine which is essentially powerful as these but quite frugal than these.

It totally depends on costing....
Old 24th March 2008, 14:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

I still feel there are many who dint get the difference of entry level mid size car and a proper mid size car.Swift zxi comes with abs ,ebd and climate control but did it stop accent gle from selling.So people who want a proper sedan would want a proper sedan would always prefer that over the entry level one.
ram
Old 24th March 2008, 15:33   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Burnt,buddie if you want an sx4 go for one,its in a different league altogether.Dzire would be an entry level mid sizer.It would never substitute an sx4.
ram
Not too sure about that. The only reason,the swift and the SX4 were percieved to be in different segments were just the boot differential. Now you have 2 cars with the same goodies, one a lakh or so cheaper,having a peppy diesel option, a boot of almost the same size and a mite lesser backspace, hmmm let me think hard, no effect ???I think not.

Looks..Purely subjective, most of the best sellers in India are just plain jane.
Old 24th March 2008, 15:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

It'll take some time before Dzire picks up some sales, ppl have to get used to its look, currently it looks like a bloated Taxi of london from the back.
Old 24th March 2008, 16:12   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayatarizona View Post
Not too sure about that. The only reason,the swift and the SX4 were percieved to be in different segments were just the boot differential. Now you have 2 cars with the same goodies, one a lakh or so cheaper,having a peppy diesel option, a boot of almost the same size and a mite lesser backspace, hmmm let me think hard, no effect ???I think not.

Looks..Purely subjective, most of the best sellers in India are just plain jane.
Civic has small boot space than SX4. So, Civic has to compete with Dzire?
Old 24th March 2008, 16:25   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
Civic has small boot space than SX4. So, Civic has to compete with Dzire?
Goodies buddy goodies. That's what makes the SX4 tick and that SUV crossover kind of look they were trying(alongwith that cra**y where are the men ?? ad

Honda sales beat the SX4 pants down inspite of it being as bare as a cabaret dancer.People believe in a Honda and this gang is going to remain unmoved.
So the Dezire is going to end up scavenging the SX4, especially since the SX4 does not have a diesel option

Last edited by sanjayatarizona : 24th March 2008 at 16:30.
Old 24th March 2008, 16:27   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
I still feel there are many who dint get the difference of entry level mid size car and a proper mid size car.Swift zxi comes with abs ,ebd and climate control but did it stop accent gle from selling.So people who want a proper sedan would want a proper sedan would always prefer that over the entry level one.
ram
Swift have EBD? Please Confirm Mate.

You are right Sales figure for Accent for this year per month is still good and had seen few brand new accents on the road.
Old 24th March 2008, 17:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
It'll take some time before Dzire picks up some sales, ppl have to get used to its look, currently it looks like a bloated Taxi of london from the back.

I would disagree with you on that. Everyone knows Dzire will sell ( Especially the Dzire Diesel). IMO People in that segment look at more VFM ,fuel efficiency , A.S.S. rather than looks. Dzire does look akward, its maybe just that we are too used to Swift Hatchback. When Tata launched Indigo it looked weird people got used to it. Im sure Dzire will be a success!
Old 24th March 2008, 22:38   #56
BHPian

Quote:

I quite agree with you there, Sanjay. Swift Dzire is going to eat into SX4 sales, AND the Swift sales. Those currently having santros, wagonrs, indicas AND looking for an upgrade will give a pass to Swift and climb straight into a Dzire - its match of 'looks' like Swift will be an added bonus for them.

Why will it kill SX4 sales? Because, as you said, when you get two sedans with the same set of features and a possible diesel option in one, the premium version just about touching the ex-showroom price of SX4 Vxi, why would anybody buy an SX4?

Okay, there will another set of car-owners (accents, esteems, ikons) who MIGHT go in for the SX4 as that would be a logical upgrade for them, but it sure will be a tough call as the diesel Dzire at a less or even same price will sure look tempting.
Old 24th March 2008, 23:18   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Goodies buddy goodies. That's what makes the SX4 tick and that SUV crossover kind of look they were trying(alongwith that cra**y where are the men ?? ad

Honda sales beat the SX4 pants down inspite of it being as bare as a cabaret dancer.People believe in a Honda and this gang is going to remain unmoved.
So the Dezire is going to end up scavenging the SX4, especially since the SX4 does not have a diesel option
lol that's what i was telling indirectly that there is no match Dzire going against verna or fiesta or NHC.

You are right Honda has a brand name which Suzuki Lacks.
Old 24th March 2008, 23:29   #58
BHPian

This thread has one of the most bizarre comparisons I have come across. Dzire definetly has all of us thinking in overdrive.
Old 25th March 2008, 15:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Quite a hot issue...

The main focus is on diesel dzire,

well firstly this price bracket is ruled by Indigo/Logan/accent/ikon, unto today indigo looked quite promosing but has service problem also built quality is doubted. Logan quite good product but lookwise quite datethogh d & diesel engine too costly. Accent & ikon are now nearing history.

Now by dzire by maruti's proven record of a good quality with a very nice & frugal diesel engine & an ultimate after sales.

hence i think dzire can be a sure shot winner if priced rightly but it can be a threat to fiesta & verna as features which it has promised at at par with these vehicles with an engine which is essentially powerful as these but quite frugal than these.

It totally depends on costing....
I agree with you. The feautures promised by dzire are hard to find ven in cars a notch above. And at a 5.2-7 lacs, it is going to be a hot seller. just few more days to go...the verdict will be out in open
Old 25th March 2008, 16:57   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Dzire does look akward, its maybe just that we are too used to Swift Hatchback. When Tata launched Indigo it looked weird people got used to it. Im sure Dzire will be a success!
Precisely what i thought. IMO, the Dzire looks decent. It's because we are so used to the Swift hatch, that we just are not able to digest this. If it had happened the other way round, ie, had they launched the Dzire first and the Swift later we would have found it acceptable. Due to this, my gut feel is that , after we get used to the Dzire we will find it's looks more than decent.

Most Viewed