Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 16:23   #16
BHPian

As per my knowledge, this is the process you need to follow to register your vehicle in a new state.

1. Take a NOC from home RTA(where it is located presently)
2. Take a Police NOC from home location(I guess this is not required in some scenarios. Not too sure)
3. Go to new state, and apply for a new registration. Pay life tax.
Life tax is taken with the age of vehicle calculated as 15 years. If you have pay life tax in new state after 10 years, you pay a pro-rated amount for remaining 10 years.
4. Apply for refund in the home state(previously registered state).
With above example of 5 years, they need to pay you back life tax for 10 years.
5. If the vehicle is being shifted within 1 year from date of purchase, you need to pay difference of sales tax. (Not sure, if there is a change in rules with VAT regime, and not sure how it applies from one state following VAT and other not). For this reason you need to have your purchase receipt at least for one year. The receipt should show the sales tax amount along with base amount. It should not contain the complete amount.
This is to prevent people buying vehicles buying in states with less sales tax and transferring immediately.
This rule however is not applied if you are transferring after 1 year.

Please make sure about latest rules by referring to concerned local Road Transport Authority.

Found this link to KA RTO site - Vehicles migrating from other states

Last edited by sriturl : 10th July 2008 at 16:25. Reason: Added link to KA RTO page about trasfer
Old 10th July 2008, 17:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
it is not mandatory to get a new local number, i got my maharashtra registered bike to bangalore and only paid the road tax, but now since i need to take it to chennai i donno what to do
I am not doubting your claims,but when you get NOC for transfer to another RTO(out of state),automaticaly the number also will be changed.I am in the process of getting my Petra transfered from Pune(MH12) to Tuticorin(TN69).
Old 10th July 2008, 20:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
I am not doubting your claims,but when you get NOC for transfer to another RTO(out of state),automaticaly the number also will be changed.I am in the process of getting my Petra transfered from Pune(MH12) to Tuticorin(TN69).
i also had the same thoughts as you sir , but i have got it done for my bike transferred from pune(still has mh number), but i got the NOC from RTO pune and paid the road tax here in banglore , number was not required to be changed , even when the cops catch me they say have you paid the tax? i show them the tax receipt and its done, no further questions, i suggest you enquire the same in TN ,may be they have different rules(not sure).
Old 10th July 2008, 21:01   #19
Team-BHP Support

Finally got the Karnataka number today. Story as follows:

Apply for Mumbai NOC - Dec 1st
Receive NOC 28th Dec
Apply for transfer and tax - 29th Dec
Estimation then inspection completed - 20th Jan
Tranfer and RTO endorsement - completed 26th Jan
Resubmit for re-registration - 26th March
Intimation about new RC book - 10 July
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2008, 23:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Finally got the Karnataka number today.
Its still not complete.
You are entitled to refund in Mumbai.
Road tax is for vehicle life of 15 yrs. You are eligible for refund from first state, since you are not using their roads any more
and you pay to KA for (15 minus elapsed life of your vehicle) years

Couldnt find a link to MH RTO. But here is link for this procedure in KA RTO web page. GENERAL INFORMATION
There should be a similar rule for MH as well.

Last edited by sriturl : 10th July 2008 at 23:16. Reason: Added link
sriturl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2008, 10:30   #21
BHPian

I am thinking of aborting my plans to get my Petra re-registered in TamilNadu.
Received information today morning from my dad that a** h***s in RTO are asking 32k for this.20k towards tax and remaining to grease them.I just cant believe this.
any suggestions?
I now need to cancel my NOC at Pune RTO,if at all I decide to abort this process
Old 27th September 2009, 00:14   #22
BHPian

Hi Guys..
need some help regarding getting my vehicle transferred..

recently i've shifted base from ghaziabad to mumbai. I plan to stay here for atleast next two years.
The RTO, especially in navi mumbai manage to pouce on me atleast once in a month. My all vehicle documents are clear except i carry UP14 registration plate. Usually i bribe them with 200 bucks and make way. But recently i read through an article which says RTO may impound such vehicles and charge a huge penalty.

I understand that to pay the road tax & register my vehicle in maharashtra i am required to get a NOC from Ghaziabad RTO. But since my vehicle is still under hypothication from my financer(HDFC) i cant get an NOC.

Is there any way out to keep away from these issues??
Old 8th October 2009, 13:07   #23
BHPian

I am using a Delhi registered bike in Bangalore with NOC obtained for changing the registration to KA in my name dated 10-June 2009.
I wanted to sell this bike in Bangalore, can I sell it directly or do i need to change the registration to KA in my name and sell it.
Another question - IS the NOC valid for 6 only months?
Kindly suggest
Old 9th October 2009, 18:05   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
I am using a Delhi registered bike in Bangalore with NOC obtained for changing the registration to KA in my name dated 10-June 2009.
I wanted to sell this bike in Bangalore, can I sell it directly or do i need to change the registration to KA in my name and sell it.
Kindly suggest
If you've got the NOC, then it's better to sell the bike after changing to KA.

The NOC validity varies from state to state. Better to change before 6 months !

Last edited by mithun : 9th October 2009 at 18:07.
Old 9th October 2009, 18:38   #25
BHPian

Here is what I went through while transferring my bike and car from Bangalore to Pune.

1. Getting NoC from Bagngalore RTO :
a. Fill up form 28 in Triplicate and in Quadraplicate if you have the vehical on lease/hypothecation.
b. Submit it in RTO office. If your number is KA-01 : Kormangala , KA-02: ?? , KA-03 : Indiranagar , KA-04 : ?? KA-05 : Jayanagar.
c. They will issue you a letter addressed to Police commisioner crime.take it to commissioners office on infantry road. from MG road go past Chinnaswamy statium, go past GPO, take a right near Rajbhawan, and then take immediate right. About 200mts on left is the office.
d. Goto City Crime Dept (it is called CCPD or something.). The window is open from 10am to 1,30pm and 3pm to 5.30pm.
e. Give the letter and negotiate to get the Crime branch NOC letter back in evening.
f. Take it back to RTO and submit the NOC from crime dept at RTO and negotiate to get the RTO NOC asap.

2. After the vehical is in PUNE you have to get a NOC from sales tax office if the vehical is new. If it is old vehical pay Road tax (7.5% of value of vehical) and Rs 100 as re-registration fee.

Part 2 : Re-registration of vehical in Pune
Case 1 : Bike (new 6 months old with NOC from Bangalore).
Required papers : 1. Address proof.
2. NOC.
3. Insurance
4. Emmission certificate.
5. Original RC book.
6. Invoice of bike showing cost and VAT paid.
Fill up the Tranfer and re-registration forms. Bike was new (less than 30 months old) so I had to pay Entry tax which was 2k for a 70K bike.The sales tax office in pune is in Yerawada. Get a NOC from local police station (where ur address is), get the NOC from commissioners office.

Take the Bangalore NOC, pune police NOC , entry tax reciept, Sales tax NOC (you will have to show bike's invoice which has details of tax paid), insurance photocopy, RC book original, along with the RTO forms duly filled up and submit in RTO office they will tell u how much Road tax to pay usually 7.5% - some discount.
If you are paying the road tax more than 6 months from date of Bangalore NOC you have to pay a penalty on it.

45 days after you pay the road tax you will get a Pune number for your bike.

Case 2 : Car (old nore than 30 months) Procedure remains same along with all the documents. Only thing is u do not pay a Rntry tax and the penalty clase is for 15 days instead of 6 months

Part 3 : After I had submitted all these papers at the Pune RTO near Sangam bridge. I had to bring the vehicals in person for inspection at RTO grounds on Alandi road. There a RTO inspected my vehicals and I got a registration number the same day along with a tax reciept. This reciept is enough to put the cops away since the RC book comes after about a month from registration.

My personal thoughts about this whole exercise :
- As far as possible avoid transferring vehicals from one state to another. If you can sell off in that state great otherwise it is a real pain running behind people to get things done.
Ok now keep the follwoing rules in mind while transferring ur vehicals in pune .
-- The road tax has to be paid withen 7 days for bike and 15 days for cars otherwise there is a penalty.
-- Rules say you can drive a vehical in another state for a period of 6 months without paying a road tax. If you are going to live more that 6 months but less than a year then you need to pay the road tax but you do not need to register.Anything more than a year means tax+re-registration.
- The laws are suited for RTO agents so forget about running all these places on your own. I had a month with me before I joining my company in Pune so I could afford the time. Plus of-course I had to take help of a RTO agent but the funny part is you have to be physically present at RTO to do the registrations. So practically you pay the agents to give you information about what papers to bring and putting all the papers in a fancy file.

Here are some docs which are accepted as address proof :
- house registration doc.
- electricity bill/telephone bill (only MTNL/BSNL no Idea/Airtel accepted)
- you house lease papers.
- pass-book of a Nationalised bank.
- pasport/DL.
- If you are staying with ur relative etc a declaration by ur relative on a 20rs stamp paper which state "I am (relatives name) and (your name) is living with me and I have no objection of using my address for his address proof". This the RTO aent can get done.

Just to give all of you a ball-park figure I spent about 10000Rs for registration of bike and about 35000Rs for registration of car. These amounts include taxes and under-the-tables.
vikrantj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2009, 18:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
Kindly suggest
If the NOC is to change it in your name, don't think you can sell it directly.

Better pay the tax, change the registration and then sell it.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 9th October 2009 at 19:05.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:11   #27
BHPian

Thanks mithun and sdp, will have to do that what you have suggested.
The thing i was worried is if i change it to KA then it will become the second owner. but nothing can be done right
Old 17th February 2010, 14:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

How long it takes to get Registration number?

How long it takes for getting new Registration Number if all procedures below completed.

1. Tax Paid
2. NOC Submitted
3. Address Change done
4. Inspection of vehicle done by RTO

I have done all procedure of my car. But for registration number as K. R. Puram, Bangalore RTO informed, I have to wait for few months.

I have already submitted NOC, Am I still not eligible to get new Registration Number?
Old 18th February 2010, 22:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
1. Tax Paid
2. NOC Submitted
3. Address Change done
4. Inspection of vehicle done by RTO

I have already submitted NOC, Am I still not eligible to get new Registration Number?
Can anyone reply to my above query?
Old 26th February 2010, 14:57   #30
BHPian

Hi!

I have shifted to Ghaziabad from Mumbai around 1 year back, now I want to transfer my WagonR registration also.

Now my query is as follows
1) The car is under loan, what are the implications of that on the transfer process.
2) I had paid octroi for Mumbai, Do i get a refund of that as well along with the road tax?

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks