Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2012, 20:09   #76
BHPian

Moving car from Delhi to Bangalore

Hello all,

I am in the process of moving my car from New Delhi to Bangalore.

Just wanted to know - does the "refund" of road tax depend from RTO to RTO? I have been trying to get leads whether the same is possible with Delhi but in vain.

In case, any one has gone through a similar process, kindly update me on the same.

Thanks!
Old 17th January 2013, 13:15   #77
BHPian

Re: Transfering a vehicle within India: Procedures

Guys,

I am planning to buy a Delhi registered, used car which will be run in Moradabad, UP.

I talked to an RTO agent who says I'll have to shell out the original amount of Tax on the car(the same amount which would be applicable on the car if it was new), to get it registered in my name in Moradabad.

Though I am quite sure its not true, but wanted to take opinion from experienced people here. As far as I know, it would be judged based on the age of the vehicle and for that we would need an invoice for sure, true ? Any idea on how much would I need to spend ?
The ride is close to 10 years old.

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 17th January 2013 at 13:16.
Old 30th January 2013, 12:10   #78
MDe
BHPian

Hi, I have been trying to find an answer and have read through multiple posts here. I will be on temporary work at Chennai for 6 months. For comfort I want to take my 7 year old Santro to Chennai from Hyderabad. I read somewhere that I can drive it for about 6 months without doing anything as such if I have a proof of my entry date in Chennai. So say, I put the information in the local PS and take a copy from them that I just came to Chennai, should I be able to drive without hassles for 6 months or would I need to do something else? Anyway after that, I will come back to Hyderabad so might not make sense to get the NOC and re-registration done in Chennai. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 30th January 2013, 13:23   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDe View Post
Hi, I have been trying to find an answer and have read through multiple posts here...
In your case, one option would be to show the Chennai police a letter deputing you to Chennai (with dates of entry and exit), obtain an NOC from them and keep copies of both these docs in your car.

I had a chat with an octroi officer in Pune recently. Since I rode my motorcycle from Bangalore to Pune, I have no proof of when I entered (bikes aren't charged toll on the highway). I was informed that I could have stopped by the first police station at the MH border to register my entry. He also confirmed I am allowed to ride for upto 6 months without the need for an NOC or anything else.

Unfortunately, any interaction with a traffic policeman will start with a demand for an NOC. Hardly any cop understands the rules regarding this document. They think an NOC is required whenever an outside vehicle enters!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 15:26   #80
MDe
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
In your case, one option would be to show the Chennai police a letter deputing you to Chennai (with dates of entry and exit), obtain an NOC from them and keep copies of both these docs in your car.
Thanks for the update Rahul. I guess that is what I will do. I will for sure, inform the first police station of my entry and atleast take a copy from them. Generally cops do not really agree with the toll receipts as I have noticed. Will go with this option. Thanks!
Old 30th January 2013, 15:34   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDe View Post
Generally cops do not really agree with the toll receipts as I have noticed. Will go with this option. Thanks!
Another backup option would be to take an Emission Certificate from Hyderabad the day you leave, and from Chennai the day you enter. And keep them safe, of course. All the best, drive safe in Chennai!

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 19:34   #82

Hi! I am planning to buy a Harley Davidson from Delhi but want to get it registered in Indore Madhya Pradesh. Can anybody tell me what will the entry tax I need to pay in mp?
Old 8th March 2013, 18:03   #83
BHPian

Hi friends, I'm caught in a weird situation. I got my bike to Vadodara, Gujarat, where I work right now, from Hyderabad. It is a 2007 registered vehicle and after bringing here, I lost my original RC papers. At that time, I didn't apply for NOC or transfer. Now to get a NOC or to transfer the registration the RTO needs my original RC. To apply for a duplicate RC I need a FIR and the problem is that to get a police complaint lodged in Hyderabad, they will ask to see my bike (which is now in Vadodara) before they file a FIR and if I file a FIR here in Gujarat, I'm not sure they'll accept my FIR here as the bike is registered in Hyderabad. I do have copies of my lost RC so that is not an issue.

The problem is, for transferring the registration of my bike and getting a NOC from Hyderabad they will ask for original RC, else a FIR and a copy. I'm caught in a catch 22 situation and don't know what to do. I would request experienced members here to help me out of this.
Old 8th June 2013, 20:03   #84
BHPian

Is it possible to buy a brand new vehicle in TN and get it registered in KA?
What documents are needed for this to happen?

Would it be wise or is it better to buy the vehicle from KA itself?
Old 9th June 2013, 05:53   #85
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Is it possible to buy a brand new vehicle in TN and get it registered in KA?
What documents are needed for this to happen?

Would it be wise or is it better to buy the vehicle from KA itself?
What is the point of buying a car in TN and registering it KA?
You will anyway be forced to pay up the differential taxes when you register here. The KA RTO will not accept the vehicle invoice if it is made in another state, unless you are re-registering it.
Hence, you would end up going through a lot of inconvenience for zero savings. Is that worth it?
Old 25th June 2013, 21:46   #86
BHPian

This is for my friend. He has a XUV500 purchased last year in Noida. He has now moved to kochi and is expected to stay there for atleast 2 years. Is it mandatory for him to get the vehicle transferred? or a mere NOC from the Noida RTO would be sufficient.
In case of a transfer he will have to get the vehicle transferred again (after 2 years) when he returns back. Whats the best way out?
Old 25th June 2013, 23:18   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
This is for my friend. He has a XUV500 purchased last year in Noida. He has now moved to kochi and is expected to stay there for atleast 2 years. Is it mandatory for him to get the vehicle transferred? or a mere NOC from the Noida RTO would be sufficient.
In case of a transfer he will have to get the vehicle transferred again (after 2 years) when he returns back. Whats the best way out?
Hello k2max6

Unlike in Karnataka, I don't think your friend will have any trouble in driving an out-of-state vehicle in Kerala.

If he has been sent by his company on official deputation, he can get a letter from them stating that his stay will be limited to 2 years. That should suffice.

In the rare event that the RTO troubles him, there is no need of an NOC to just pay the road tax and drive around. Ask your friend not to worry, and thank his stars that he is not moving to Bangalore. Re-registering for 2 years makes no sense in my opinion.

Cheers!
Old 26th June 2013, 10:20   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
In the rare event that the RTO troubles him, there is no need of an NOC to just pay the road tax and drive around. Ask your friend not to worry, and thank his stars that he is not moving to Bangalore...
Viju, so if I'm paying the road-tax in Bangalore for an out-of-state motorcycle, I do not need to produce an NOC from home police/RTO? What documents do I need to produce? I will have a valid RC in my name, road tax + environment tax paid in MH, insurance. Is this sufficient?

Also, I hear that in Bangalore nowadays I can walk up to any traffic cop of or above a particular rank (SI probably) and pay the vehicle's road-tax right there. True?

I'm soon moving back to Bangalore after more than 3 years in Pune, and so much has changed in these 3 years there! Relocation assistance I need eh!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 26th June 2013, 11:12   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post

Viju, so if I'm paying the road-tax in Bangalore for an out-of-state motorcycle, I do not need to produce an NOC from home police/RTO? What documents do I need to produce? I will have a valid RC in my name, road tax + environment tax paid in MH, insurance. Is this sufficient?

Also, I hear that in Bangalore nowadays I can walk up to any traffic cop of or above a particular rank (SI probably) and pay the vehicle's road-tax right there. True?

Cheers,
Rahul
Hello Rahul

I will share my experience with you. May be it will help you.

I moved to Bangalore from Gurgaon (permanent relocation) last November. I brought with me my Ritz, bought brand new in 2010. Therefore I had everything from the invoice from the showroom to the PUC and even an NOC from Gurgaon RTO.

I thought that I will pay the toad tax myself and get my vehicle re-registered with Koramangala RTO, since the procedure mentioned in their website was simple enough. Approached the RTO - all forms available only in Kannada. I am from Kerala - cannot read Kannada.

Went to a shop within the premises, paid 1 rupee and bought a form in English for paying tax. Approached the person at the counter - luckily he spoke Hindi / English. He asked for my invoice. I gave it, waited for half an hour while he calculated the road tax.

Even when my car was 25 months old, he calculated the tax for a vehicle less than 2 years old (substantially more when you consider the cost of a car) since NOC was issued from Gurgaon 3 days before my car turned 2! Did not understand the logic, but hey, you cannot argue with these guys and win.

Next came the shocker. He asked me if I have NOC. I gave him the NOC. Then he gave me a list of documents required of which there was no mention in the RTO website - and this is for just paying the tax, not for getting KA registration. If you see the FAQ in RTO website, it is clearly mentioned that you don't even need NOC for paying road tax. But of course, our chap wouldn't listen, asked me to go to some police station near Vidhan Soudha to get a verification report (of God knows what).

I understood that nothing is going to happen without bribe (at least not when I couldn't speak Kannada). I went to an RTO agent in the same building (there are hundreds of them - luckily found a decent chap). He said they wouldn't budge without getting a bribe - and this is from top level to bottom.

Including the agent's fees and bribes, I paid around 5000/- (and also the DD for tax). Next day afternoon, the RTO agent handed over the tax receipt to me.

Getting the KA number was another ordeal. After paying tax, I had to wait 3 months for KA RTO to send a request for acknowledgement from HR RTO (to make sure that the NOC is not forged - and the NOC from HR RTO is such a joke that anyone can forge it!). Of course, HR RTO was least bothered to give any reply!

As per RTO rules, even after 3 months / 3 attempts, if there is no reply from the other RTO, KA RTO must provide KA number to the vehicle. But rules are just that. I paid another 1500/- to the lady RTO officer (through the agent of course) and within 2 days, went and collected my smart card RC.

If the car wasn't so new/ unused and I did not have long term plans to stay in KA, I really wouldn't have bothered bringing the car down. But hunting down other state vehicles is the favourite pastime for the RTO / cops in Bangalore.

And by the way, I run my KL registered bike without NOC / paying KA road tax. I basically try and avoid main city routes, but if I am caught any day, I will have to pay the tax.

Also, if you don't have the purchase invoice for the vehicle, they may not let you pay the tax (since they cannot calculate the tax). Recently read in one of Pavan's threads about him not being able to register a 50 year old car because he doesn't have the original invoice!!

Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps somebody in a similar situation take a decision.

For your bike, if you have the invoice along with the other documents you mentioned, it would be sufficient. Also, it would be best to keep a proof for time of entry of the vehicle into Karnata - receipt from Packers & Movers or toll receipts if you plan to ride it down. If your bike is older than 7 years, your expenses may be limited to 5k or 6k max including road tax, bribe and agent's fee. Get a PUC also from MH just before you transport the bike.

Hope this helps! Just in case you go to Koramangala RTO, I can direct you to my agent.

Once you are here, let us go for a ride.
And welcome back to Bangalore!

Cheers!!

Last edited by Viju : 26th June 2013 at 11:17.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:50   #90
BHPian

Hi.

My brother is leaving for the US for ~4 years, & has left his RE Classic 500 with me in Bangalore.

The bike was bought from Kolkata in 2010, & registered in Gangtok while he was based there.

Now since the KA cops are super-efficient when it comes to vehicles with out-of-state registration, & its going to be with me for so long; we decided to transfer it to my name & register it in KA.

Right now we're in the process of getting the necessary documents together as per KA RTO site. But after reading this thread, I'm getting a little anxious about the documentation required.

He's transferring the vehicle to my name as a gift.
Someone in Gangtok RTO advised him to d this, 'coz
a) its a transfer within the family, &
b) this will substantially reduce the tax levied.

So I'll have the following documents for the bike with me :
1. NOC from Gangtok RTO
2. RC Book
3. Gift Certificate
4. Insurance Policy/Certificate (not sure if the one he has is current, will renew or take a new one if required).

Apart from these, I'll also have :
1. ID Proof,
2. Address Proof,
3. PUC Certificate (to be done a day or two before going to RTO)

The RTO I'll be going to is Yelahanka, nearest to my home.

So now my worries are :
1. Original Invoice - is not to be found. The bike has travelled all-over India, Nepal, & Bhutan with him, and gotten misplaced somewhere.
2. Any other documents I should arrange to be on the safer side.

Thanks for helping!

Rgds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks