Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which MJD powered Vehicle?
Indica Vista Quadrajet 204 36.96%
Palio MJD 135 24.46%
Swift VDi DDiS 197 35.69%
Other ( Fiat 500/splash/chevrolet etc ) 16 2.90%
Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 12:00   #91
BHPian

Indica Vista

I am unable to understand why would somebody feel so utterly embarrassed if they happen to stop at one of the odd places where some people come rushing for a ride/lift ... that is one of the reasons that the VISTA comes with central locking.

And hey, off the record, if you are with your GF, this would be a good fodder for a decent laugh!

In any case, I vote for the VISTA and would be owning one in a couple of months.

I would not get into that 'sardine can' swift even if someone paid me for it ... maybe that's why people do not try to get into it when you stop at one of 'these' bus stops.
Old 29th September 2008, 14:34   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashukla View Post
I am unable to understand why would somebody feel so utterly embarrassed if they happen to stop at one of the odd places where some people come rushing for a ride/lift ... that is one of the reasons that the VISTA comes with central locking.

And hey, off the record, if you are with your GF, this would be a good fodder for a decent laugh!

In any case, I vote for the VISTA and would be owning one in a couple of months.

I would not get into that 'sardine can' swift even if someone paid me for it ... maybe that's why people do not try to get into it when you stop at one of 'these' bus stops.

Now Now , please dont start another round of war and this is coming from both an Indica-D and a Swift-D owner , so I am more or less neutral to this thread. But again others are not ! . Besides every car has its pros and cons.
Old 29th September 2008, 14:54   #93
Senior - BHPian

I found out that Tata is not offering ABS. This is the biggest factor against it. More over the safety ratings of crash testing are not out yet.
We ourselves are involved in a crash and if our Baleno had ABS, things could have been better and we would have incurred less cost in repairing the vehicle. This accident made us more aware of what ABS is and how much it is important. Tata should have made it available as an option through out the entire range.

The omission of ABS by FIAT and Tata is something not desirable for the car buying public. Considering the present Indian road scenario, we need ABS, and they are not offering this feature. Its not good on Tata's part.

So one more reason for Swift to win.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:05   #94
Senior - BHPian

@ aaggoswami. Tata hasnt said that they dont want ABS/Airbags. In fact they've said that they are in the pipeline, and should be available in 6 months or so.They just wanted it to be available at the earliest to the general car buying public who - especially the average indica buyer couldn't care less if it has ABS or not.

Last edited by greenhorn : 29th September 2008 at 15:06.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:43   #95
Senior - BHPian

Goswami ji,

What you've said is COMPLETLEY wrong. Take it from someone who has given up ABS just to get his car. It is one thing to offer a feature, another to actually deliver it. MSIL needs to seriously rap its ABS kit suppliers.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:45   #96
Senior - BHPian

greenhorn, I was just pulling your leg man.

I agree. The product is quite good (save minor niggles on plastics). What is lacking is the image (will take some time) and the service.

The product even earlier was quite decent, rugged and reliable. It was the service which used to literally screw up things.
Old 29th September 2008, 22:31   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashukla View Post
maybe that's why people do not try to get into it when you stop at one of 'these' bus stops.
Guys, another first on t-bhp. Please buy only such cars so that people would like to get into at bus-stops. Throw away your Mercs, Beemers, Hondas, etc.
Old 29th September 2008, 22:57   #98
Senior - BHPian

I should make a list of all these cities where people get into indicas randomly, then a list of places in these cities where the othay hickcay species congregate
and the rest .....
Old 30th September 2008, 00:25   #99
Senior - BHPian

I only meant 3 things by my Indica taxi story:

a. It is absolutely true and a realistic, everyday situation in Delhi - NCR, (esp Gurgaon) for your privately owned Indica to be mistaken for a taxi. Despite this, Delhi still has more privately-used Indicas than in any other city in India.

It may be surprising for anybody down south, (esp after being pampered with Logans for taxis in Hyderabad!!), but that doesn't make my story false in any way. Any NCR-based T-bhpian will certify my story 20 times over.

b. The Indica being associated with a "taxi" image does not mean it is a bad car in anyway. That's why I mentioned the Corollas, Camrys, Mondeos. It proves it is VFM, reliable (?), rugged and doesn't cost a bomb to buy and maintain.

c. If the Vista is a good car, go ahead and buy it without worrying about Taxi image. Use that Central Locking while asking for directions in Gurgaon.
Old 30th September 2008, 00:37   #100
Senior - BHPian

And to add to Architect's point, it is also the same case if you by any chance own a White Innova & travel on MG Road! Especially if it has a carrier on the roof!

A friend's GM uses one & he mentions that at times people literally jump in front of the Innova to make it stop & give them a ride!!
Old 30th September 2008, 01:24   #101
BHPian

Well said sir,
The wait period for abs swift vdi is so unpredictable that even good dealers are not ready to commit when they would get the allotment of the car. IMO, the ABS advantage as of now, with the swift doesn't translate into a real advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Goswami ji,

What you've said is COMPLETLEY wrong. Take it from someone who has given up ABS just to get his car. It is one thing to offer a feature, another to actually deliver it. MSIL needs to seriously rap its ABS kit suppliers.
Old 30th September 2008, 03:34   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
b. The Indica being associated with a "taxi" image does not mean it is a bad car in anyway. That's why I mentioned the Corollas, Camrys, Mondeos. It proves it is VFM, reliable (?), rugged and doesn't cost a bomb to buy and maintain.
: X100!

So, it makes sense to buy an Indica if one needs a VFM, reliable (?), rugged and doesn't cost a bomb to buy and maintain kind of a car. What more would one need from a car?

As the sales of Swift hasn't fallen down after Palio MJD and Vista's launch, we should understand the general thinking/liking of aam junta. They're standing by what they believe is a tried and tested company and products. It would take some good time in the current scenario before some serious fall happens to the Swift.
So, that brings us back to Vista and Palio. The real competition for Palio is now on roads. I'm sure many would stand by the Palio. But the earlier mentioned benefits of a Taxi imaged car will definitely hang on Vista's side and that will make it a winner in my opinion.

And there was this info somewhere that TATA was ready to offer ABS and AIRBAGS on all it's passenger car lineup. What happened?
Tanweer had a thread running on this I remember.
Old 30th September 2008, 09:34   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Goswami ji,

Well put! I have serious doubts on MSIL for its ABS/EBD kits. The wheels seem to lock during braking even in speeds just in excess of 100 kmph.

[Before people pounce on me, I have driven other cars with ABS/ABD/BA/TC etc]

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 30th September 2008 at 09:36. Reason: improper pronoun
Old 30th September 2008, 09:48   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Well put! I have serious doubts on MSIL for its ABS/EBD kits. The wheels seem to lock during braking even in speeds just in excess of 100 kmph.
I guess thats because of the screeching sound that these JK Tyres produce much before they lose grip!!! Happened to me in the SX4,very hard braking caused a lot of screeching sound, though I could never find any skid marks on the road!
Old 30th September 2008, 22:26   #105
BHPian

Indica vista is the best.....

Most Viewed