Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 13:14   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards ?

Wow! first sighting of Diesel Hope they price it competitively. All the best MSIL.
Old 7th February 2011, 14:00   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Oh yeah, I'd agree. Its seems he "has" paid advance because its a MARUTI...BTW, Am still curious whether it makes sense to plonk the 1.3 DDIS to the SX4. That engine will be underpowered in that car!

Cheers
It may be underpowered for the team-bhp, but it will definitely be more fun to drive than petrol SX4, or a diesel Altis or for that matter as much fun as most other C segment sedans. I know it because I drive the Linea MJD and I don't really agree with most in this group.
Old 7th February 2011, 18:16   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
It may be underpowered for the team-bhp, but it will definitely be more fun to drive than petrol SX4, or a diesel Altis or for that matter as much fun as most other C segment sedans. I know it because I drive the Linea MJD and I don't really agree with most in this group.

The Linea is a different piece of cake altogether. The MJD family of engines were designed and manufactured for FIAT. Whereas with MUL, its a retrofit. How good the retrofit is, only time will testify.

If suitable changes are made to the FD and GB ratios then it can be fun.
Old 7th February 2011, 18:34   #499
BHPian

Re: SX4 Diesel - Is it on the cards? Update: Pics on Pg 33

^^^ There is nothing like an original design and a retrofit. MSIL fits any engine to its vehicle only after very rigorous testing, on the test bench as well as in the field. You will acknowledge that Fiat itself uses the MJD on several of its own models internationally. The engine isnt built for any particular car as such. The state of tune has to be adjusted to suit the desired characteristics and sufficient airflow to the radiators has to be ensured to provide proper cooling.

MSIL's implementation of the MJD in the Swift is better than the same engine's implementation in Fiat's own Grande Punto across all parameters - acceleration, driveability and fuel economy!

Last edited by aditya79india : 7th February 2011 at 18:37.
Old 7th February 2011, 18:42   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
If its not FTD, buy one Pete's box and strap on - That should make it REAL FTD ! By the way does anyone know how much the 1.3 DDiS VGT Pete's box is going to cost ?
Old 7th February 2011, 19:21   #501
Senior - BHPian

*Update:
  • 1.3 VGT DDIS with 90 bhp, 207 Nm torque**
  • VDI and ZDI models
  • Launch: Feb 28, 2011.
  • No Automatic in diesel, 5 speed manual.
Heavy men are back. Let the games begin.

**plus/minus 2 NM, exact figure wll be updated soon.

ciao
SS.
Old 7th February 2011, 19:27   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
*Update:
  • 1.3 VGT DDIS with 90 bhp, 207 Nm torque**
  • VDI and ZDI models
  • Launch: Feb 28, 2011.
  • No Automatic in diesel, 5 speed manual.
Heavy men are back. Let the games begin.

**plus/minus 2 NM, exact figure wll be updated soon.

ciao
SS.
I heard 18 Feb. Are you sure it is 28th??
Old 7th February 2011, 19:28   #503
Senior - BHPian

got the msg as 28th. Will confirm again tomorrow.
Old 7th February 2011, 19:35   #504
BHPian

It would be amusing if one turned to the old Linea thread and read a bit. The flak that the car received, (from maruti fans included) for it's "underpowered" engine makes interesting reading. And now here we read about why-90bhp-is-not-exactly-underpowered, or what-matters-is-the-package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
For some, it is not the power but the package. Our man already drives a 4SX, and he is getting "more torque"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
This is something Maruti should have done at much earlier. 90BHP is OK in a Diesel car. The Diesel Fiesta and to some extent the Linea sold and still sells well despite being lower in power than Vento and Verna. The Corolla Diesel likewise sell in good numbers despite the Cruze.
Underpowered diesel cars, as against it's more powerful petrol siblings, sell well mostly in the taxi segment. And I don't think SX4 would be a good choice for a taxi. That back seat would ruin the occupant after a reasonably long ride.
Quote:
I am surely a prospective customer if the price is right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I'm slightly apprehensive about Maruti's pricing strategy here. If they price the diesel at about 80k-1 lakh premium over the petrol version, then it may not do very well as then pricing would be more than 10.5 lakhs! I honestly dont think that the car's interiors have anything worth so as to command a 10 lakh tag! Price it as close to the fiesta as possible { may even at par} and you will see it do well. Or else it may just do 1-2 k every month like the Linea.
Looking at the way they priced the K12 Swift and the Kizashi, I am sure that they would be at least looking at a 1-1.5L permium over the petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
MSIL's implementation of the MJD in the Swift is better than the same engine's implementation in Fiat's own Grande Punto across all parameters - acceleration, driveability and fuel economy!
This one is funny. As if, FIAT just built the interface, and Maruti provided the implementation. Too much of Java, here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If its not FTD, buy one Pete's box and strap on - That should make it REAL FTD ! By the way does anyone know how much the 1.3 DDiS VGT Pete's box is going to cost ?
Read the earlier Linea threads and you will find out why a Pete's box is bad for your car. Well, unless that is limited to FIATs only.
Old 7th February 2011, 20:03   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

This one is funny. As if, FIAT just built the interface, and Maruti provided the implementation. Too much of Java, here.
Not exactly Java but otherwise quite so in its literal meaning. Have seen it at quarters as close as it can get.
Old 7th February 2011, 21:10   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Not exactly Java but otherwise quite so in its literal meaning. Have seen it at quarters as close as it can get.
The Swift D cant hold a candle to the FGP in

1. Steering feedback
2. Handling
3. Braking
4. Slalom
5. High speed dynamics
6. HVAC - Climate control
7. Trip computer and its associated features
etc etc..

IMO.

What it can do is out accelerate the FGP thru the gears which can be termed as fun to drive by some
Old 7th February 2011, 21:23   #507
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that. Though I havent seen the SX4 Diesel, it would be a massive challenge to exceed the FGP in terms of drive/ handling (I am not too knowledgeable about the other parameters!)
If it does exceed, it would be a heck of a machine
Old 7th February 2011, 22:06   #508
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's Note: Guys, please leave FIAT out of this discussion. This is an SX4 thread, and lets stick to the topic at hand. Thanks.
Old 7th February 2011, 23:44   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Moderator's Note: Guys, please leave FIAT out of this discussion. This is an SX4 thread, and lets stick to the topic at hand. Thanks.
I am not that much of a FIAT fan, seems they always excel in making good ride/handling yet grossly underpowered vehicles that unfailingly remind us of the Premier Padmini. However i believe that FIAT does deserve a mention in this thread, not only because of the 1.3 VGT Multijet in the SX4 ( MSIL will anyhow remap the same, throw in a slick gearbox and will make it as different from the Linea as chalk & Cheese - ref. SwiftD and Grand Punto), but because of the fact that the SX4 is actually a result of the joint efforts of both Fiat & Suzuki , that culminated in the Fiat Sedici - Mini SUV developed primarily mainly for the European market. It is because of its SUV roots that this "sedan" gets its muscular butch looks,high ground clearance and 16 inch wheels.

Here's what WIKI has to say -

Fiat Sedici - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SO that fact of the matter is, now this is a vehicle with pure FIAT roots (Chassis + Powertrain). So all those lineas' out there, be a little more friendly to your "manly" cousin.

p.s. sorry eddy, please don't consider this an infringement
Old 7th February 2011, 23:52   #510
Team-BHP Support

Gitartha: As long as it is a meaningful discussion, it will be allowed. Linea, GP being underpowered or not is a topic that has been discussed to death on other threads.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks