Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 20:29   #211
BHPian

The idea of a mini SUV is a good one. Had it been from some other manufacturer say Hyundai this could have challenged the premium hatch backs for sure. But in this case Premier's old baggage, a little known Chinese name and of course the low quality doesn't auger well for the Rio.

Wonder why no other established manufacturer thought of such a niche area.
Old 29th October 2009, 20:48   #212
BANNED

Everything is OK except the manufacturers.

The design, the size, the Diesel engine, positioning... all are OK, but Premier and that Chinese brand will do all the damage to this car.

Hope Maruti will come up with a Jimny with a 5-door 5-seater (front facing) model with the 1.3 DDiS engine, and price it around 5 Lakhs.
Or the SX4 hatchback, with a 1.6L Diesel engine!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 29th October 2009 at 20:49.
Old 29th October 2009, 20:52   #213
Senior - BHPian

Where is the TUD5 engine coming from? Is PAL making it or is it imported? I thought the engine is long dead.

Overall I feel if PAL can spend 5% more to improve perceived quality by 45%, people will gladly pay that 5% extra. Afterall its an SUV+diesel for the price of a hatch.
Old 29th October 2009, 20:54   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Where is the TUD5 engine coming from? Is PAL making it or is it imported? I thought the engine is long dead.

Overall I feel if PAL can spend 5% more to improve perceived quality by 45%, people will gladly pay that 5% extra. Afterall its an SUV+diesel for the price of a hatch.
+1 and if they manage to add 4X4,it will be a complete package.
Old 29th October 2009, 21:16   #215
xPK
BHPian

If I'm in the market for SUV with budget 6-7L, I would settle with 3 year old Safari or Scorpio. Perhaps it will be too early to say but, these vehicles will definitely give me more peace of mind (at least psychologically).
I know I'm not supposed to compare Rio with these, but...
Old 29th October 2009, 21:22   #216
Senior - BHPian

PAL in the market once more, dunno if it is good news or bad considering how they managed to muck up good products in the past - the PAL-Peugeot and the PAL-Fiat products were good but were literally run into the ground (a legacy that Fiat faces to this day).

Cheers,
Old 29th October 2009, 22:20   #217
BHPian

Cheap product from unreliable brand. I m happy in my Fusion which can tackle Indian roads and small off road duties in a big way.
Old 30th October 2009, 04:28   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
The website is up and running: http://www.premier.co.in/rio/index.html

Found two mistakes..
- 'Central looking'
- Rear fog lamp has a picture of the front fog lamp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Attaching a scan of the Rio's one page brochure. This should help in knowing what they offer across the three variants.

Attachment 217593
I wish premier the best of luck, its a decent enough SUV for the price, all I need to know how well it performed in the crash tests. Ive been reading about power, and I also read that it has airbags and abs as standard. If thats the case, pretty good for a non starter to shake up the automotive industry.
Old 30th October 2009, 10:11   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj
What I am really surprised at is that such an old engine TUD5 is passing a BSIII compliance test where few DI engines (Bolero 4X4 is BSII) fail ? Any thoughts or comments.
I was surprised myself. The TUD5 is generation old now. When was it in the 309 and Zen diesels? More than a decade ago? I even questioned them on common rail units to which they replied saying they dont have any plans at that moment. To be honest the TUD5 felt great when I drove it in those days (read 96-97) but I guess CRDis have spoilt us now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
+1 and if they manage to add 4X4,it will be a complete package.
There will not be introducing a 4x4 inspite of a version available in the Chinese market

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramRao75 View Post
I wish premier the best of luck, its a decent enough SUV for the price, all I need to know how well it performed in the crash tests. Ive been reading about power, and I also read that it has airbags and abs as standard. If thats the case, pretty good for a non starter to shake up the automotive industry.
The top model only has ABS standard but no airbags.

Last edited by Dippy : 30th October 2009 at 10:16.
Old 30th October 2009, 10:31   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

From what i gather (Mostly from this forum itself), The TUD5 engine was given to Premier by Peugeot when they severed the Partneship for the 309.

The original engine Has been reworked by premier to make it meet emission norms and to increase the max Power output.
I cant imagine premier doing it on its own but it must have gotten some company outside to do it for them.
Old 30th October 2009, 10:34   #221
Senior - BHPian

Saw the test drive & review on ET - ZigWheels and the reviewer said the interiors are worse that what you get in a 800!

He also mentioned about the lack of space within the vehicle.

But the surprising part, was watching the vehicle being driven. The vehicle looked more like a small car on a bling wheel set up, the kind that Monster trucks looks like (a miniature here).

I have my own doubts about the stability of the vehicle on sudden turns.
Old 30th October 2009, 10:49   #222
BHPian

A historical event. From flashlights, cell phones, DVD players, et al to automobiles. Phew! China is here. Though I would've felt much more comfortable if Geely or FAW would have done the honors instead of Zotye.

Premier Automobiles did a good job of addressing the need for a mini-SUV, but they could have done better with the product offering...way better.

My biggest concern is safety and Chinese products are infamous for being unreliable. From the looks of it, the RiO has a high CG and with a small wheelbase and narrow width. I would not be surprised to read about RiO's turning turtle in the newspapers.

The TUD5 should be able to do a decent job, but I seriously doubt that RiO owners would have to visit dealerships pretty often for rattling body parts, loose plastic, broken knobs.

I admit much of my observation is "mere speculation"; but the Chinese are the best in producing cheap inferior goods. So, if such issues should arise with the RiO, I would not at all be surprised.

I will definitely not spend 5 lacs on the RiO. No sir!
Old 31st October 2009, 19:54   #223
Senior - BHPian

Premier did a good job by selecting that vehicle, because we don't have anything like it in the market. BUT...the car is awful, the engine is awful and it sucks!!!

the market for which it is targeted has vehicles with better quality, fit & finish and engines. so premier need to keep an eye on that as well.
Old 24th November 2009, 22:52   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
There will not be introducing a 4x4 inspite of a version available in the Chinese market
Smart move. This won't need two earth movers to split it into two, the first winching operation will take care of that.
Old 26th November 2009, 09:23   #225
BHPian

Though I dont stand the front and rear looks of the Xylo, I would still feel quite safe in it for a few extra lakhs compared to the Rio. Rio, conceptually is exceptional, but I have my doubts on the execution... Would surely not invest 5+ lakhs on a chinese vehicle with unestablished dealer network.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks