Old 16th February 2011, 21:39   #61
BHPian

re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail sedan caught testing. *Clear PICS on Page 9 & 11*

yeah. looks bad. not sure why GM's introducing this instead of Sonic
Old 17th February 2011, 10:19   #62
e46
BHPian

I wish GM reconsiders its decision and bring in the Chevy Sonic. It looks real nice, much better than this "Cruze wannabe" styled Sail.
Old 27th July 2011, 10:04   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Chevrolet SAIL to replace Aveo

The Sail twins which will make their way to replace the dated Aveo. Now the Sail does look low cost and Logan-ish. So why is GM not getting the Sonic, when the competition has stunning looking cars like the Fiat Punto and Volkswagen Polo on offer?

Chevrolet Sail Twins To Replace Aveo Twins | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-chevrolet_sail_india1.jpg  

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 11:24   #64
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet SAIL to replace Aveo

Too plain a styling. Chevy is aware of Indian market style consciousness. They wouldn't do a mistake this big. They probably would keep the platform but restyle the same with a few creases and add more muscle before they sell this here.
But sure the Aveo needs a restyling. And the name 'Sail' (Remember the Corsa sail?) will also need to be changed.
Old 27th July 2011, 11:26   #65
Senior - BHPian

The Sail sedan is a good move, IMHO. It looks fairly well sorted as a sedan and has a slight Cruze-ish look about it from front 3/4 view.

I looked up pictures of the Sonic on the 'net, it looks like a grown-up sibling of the Beat.

While we laud GM for being true to concept while making the Beat - is certainly is very distinctive - it is not really a runaway success, is it? It is selling decent numbers, but not the 5-6K per month GM might have hoped.

On the other hand, the Cruze is a massive success story.

So, make something look like a grown up Beat, get plenty of bouquets and not-so-plenty sales? Or make something that looks like a small Cruze, get a mix of bouquets & brickbats and plenty sales?
Old 27th July 2011, 11:38   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
So why is GM not getting the Sonic, when the competition has stunning looking cars like the Fiat Punto and Volkswagen Polo on offer?

Chevrolet Sail Twins To Replace Aveo Twins | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Cheers!
So they can make it cheap and sell it high ! Its supposed to ride on the 2nd gen Corsa underpinnings (the one which we got here).
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 12:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...nveiled-2.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...l-india-5.html
Old 27th July 2011, 12:21   #68
BHPian

I think they messed up the side profile,other views would seem good in some other colours but certainly not in red.If logan is the price segment then there simply is no comparison.

I remember seeing a blue sail in ACI scoop section and it looked pretty good.
Old 27th July 2011, 15:16   #69
BHPian

Any box on wheels with frugal Diesel engine & sporting Good brand tag, sells here.
& considering these facts the above pictured SAIL is a very good car.
What GM India needs to address for this car is a Diesel engine option & is to price it right.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:20   #70
Senior - BHPian

Sail is nothing but a car based on the opel Corsa which was once sold in India. So its definitely not the modern automobile that we expect in this era. I would any given day buy a Dzire or even a hatch than buying what is basically a 1993 platform.

Not a good move by GM, but I am sure with a diesel it will sell in huge numbers. Agreed its not a looker but it certainly is not a bad looking car. Rather more in the league of Accent. A decent family and sure it will sell if priced well. If GM tries to strike at the heart of Dzire, Indigo, Etios, a failure is likely result. The market has moved on as far as styling, engine, performance, etc. goes. This is too old an product brought in at a time of much more modern times. But if priced at par with Accent for petrol and slightly above that for diesel, this will sell.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:39   #71
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Frankly thought the platform may or may not be old, the styling is reasonably fresh. It is looking plain as this specific variant is not decorated with side strips etc, but it does look good with out them, the side view mirrors and headlights are todays age.
Old 27th July 2011, 17:51   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Sail twins which will make their way to replace the dated Aveo. Now the Sail does look low cost and Logan-ish. So why is GM not getting the Sonic, when the competition has stunning looking cars like the Fiat Punto and Volkswagen Polo on offer!
My feeling is that the Sonic has become quite large and upmarket now. The Sail is a low cost sedan designed for China and will arrive at a highly VFM price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Sail is nothing but a car based on the opel Corsa which was once sold in India. So its definitely not the modern automobile that we expect in this era. I would any given day buy a Dzire or even a hatch than buying what is basically a 1993 platform.

Not a good move by GM
Nopes. That was the old sail (Gen1). This is the new one that came out last year and is related more to the Beat platform.

Last edited by Mpower : 27th July 2011 at 17:53.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 18:41   #73
Senior - BHPian

Although the Sail is an all new model, it looks merely like a refreshed Aveo. However, looks can be discounted if GM plonks the national engine in the Sail and prices it at Dzire levels, surely they would have a winner on their hands.
Old 27th July 2011, 18:57   #74
Senior - BHPian

Makes sense to get the Sail and compete in the lower end of sedan market. The Sonic would be a competitor to the big boys- Vento, City, Verna, Fiesta and it makes sense to stay away from that. Im really shocked to see that Toyota wont bring in a car to compete with the Big Boys, i mean they have the Vios which makes perfect sense.
Old 27th July 2011, 20:25   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nopes. That was the old sail (Gen1). This is the new one that came out last year and is related more to the Beat platform.
Sir,
Are you sure on this ? To the best of my knowledge, its Sonic that is based on Beat platform. Beat itself is based on Gamma 2 platform of GM.
Sail is specifically for low cost manufacturing and hence GM selected an older platform to save on costs.

Correct me if I am wrong and I would also like to update myself.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks