Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 02:17   #91
Team-BHP Support

re: SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail sedan caught testing. *Clear PICS on Page 9 & 11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Does Chevy SAIL have any part-sharing with the erstwhile Opel Corsa (SAIL)?

If yes, spares for my Corsa might just get cheaper

Aspects of this car like pricing and cost of ownership will decide it's fate. Also, any time-frame for the launch?
Na I don't think it shares any parts with the Corsa.

In fact, the only real connection between GM's Corsa and this car, the Chevy Sail hatch/sedan, is the badge. Not much else 'Chevy' about it. While the Corsa was, and still is, a proper European super-mini, the Sail has been derived from Daewoo's line-up I believe, with perhaps a sprinkle of Chevrolet around it.

Even if it is indeed based on the old Corsa platform, it wouldn't really share much. The body would never be as strong, and the Corsa (in India) runs on outdated internal-parts. It's a great engine, but new and more efficient engines are on the cards and I suppose not as fun.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 08:16   #92
BHPian

Honestly the Sail has started looking old even before it is sold in India. It will go the UV-A way thanks Chevy's 'Snail' like approach.
I am not very sure about its success unless Chevy prices the diesel very competitively
Old 29th December 2011, 09:28   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoweirdo View Post
One of my friend working in GM said pricing will be in close range of 6 lakhs for diesel and around 4.8lk for petrol. He was boasting about stability and mileage let us see how car actually delivers.
If that is the pricing, then it is atleast 50k - 1 lakh cheaper than than its rivals; should help GM.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 09:38   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu_engg24 View Post
Happened to click some pics of Chevy Sail Hatch yesterday on my way back from Nasik to Pune, near Sangamner village.
Glad that you managed to click some photos. I was same stretch on sunday and saw this test vehicle thrice but due to lack of camera I couldn't click any pictures.
Vehicle doesn't look any spectacular except for reworked lines on bonnet and tail-lamps. I wonder what would be USP of this vehicle except 1.3L diesel engine.
I really don't know whether GM really has space for this vehicle in their portfolio and when compared to bold lines of Beat this one looks at least couple of generations old.
Old 29th December 2011, 13:40   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
If that is the pricing, then it is atleast 50k - 1 lakh cheaper than than its rivals; should help GM.
I guess they need to keep it in that range since at this stage I do not find any USP for the car. It will be really interesting to see how GM guys pitch the car against swift and i20. If the interiors and build quality are as good as beat then i guess Vista and Punto must be in trouble with some sales moving from beat to sail.
Old 29th December 2011, 14:31   #96
Senior - BHPian

Autoweirdo, i believe GM would be able to pull some people from Maruti, Hyundai and Tata stable (provided they bring in diesel); They need not worry about Punto (no offence, it doesnt sell well to be impacted).
Old 30th December 2011, 11:23   #97
BHPian

Having driven a Chevy for more than 3 years, one thing is sure that the build quality will be good.

As far as the Diesel engine goes, Chevy does not need to pull folks from Maruti or Tata as the so called Fiat MJD or Quadrajet or DDiS is actually developed by Fiat and GM together. So they need not even pay any royalty to Fiat to use the engine. However it is very sad to see that they have not intorduced the same yet in any of the cars.

The Beat TCDi is actually a cylinder taken away from the DDiS/MJD/Quadrajet.
Old 17th January 2012, 17:37   #98
BHPian

IndianAutosBlog reported and posted spy shots of Chevy Sail Sedan : Chevrolet Sail sedan spied in India including interior shots
Information says that it will come with 1.3 MJD and a 1.4 litter Smartech petrol engine.

Few spy shots from IndianAutosBlog website, rest can be seen by visiting upper link :
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-6713385375_2cc9449484_b.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-6713387283_565b18ece4_b.jpg  

SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-6713384467_884b52370d_b.jpg  

Last edited by tbppjpr : 17th January 2012 at 17:38. Reason: Typo correction
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 19:02   #99
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a new Sedan on the Kathipara grade separator in Chennai. The car was not camouflaged, just black stickers on the logo...it looked like the Chevrolet '+' logo. It had a TN-19D temporary (red) regn plate. Guess it must have been the subject of this thread...the Chevy Sail. Sorry, no pics.
Old 17th January 2012, 19:12   #100
BHPian

absolutely agree with you on the engine choices being offered by GM in India.

I had the Aveo and its too good a car otherwise (for its plush feeling, comfort and stable ride) except the HEART of the car which was BAAAD.
Even my NE118 way back in 1995 was way better in terms of engine and gearox refinement.

Yes the unrefined engine and pathetic gearbox killed it otherwise it could have been a good competitor to the NHC available then (in 2006 when Aveo was launched).
Old 17th January 2012, 20:12   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
IndianAutosBlog reported and posted spy shots of Chevy Sail Sedan : Chevrolet Sail sedan spied in India including interior shots
Information says that it will come with 1.3 MJD and a 1.4 litter Smartech petrol engine.

Few spy shots from IndianAutosBlog website, rest can be seen by visiting upper link :
From the front it easy to mistake it for an Altis. Striking resemblance!
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-sail-altis.jpg  

Last edited by Mpower : 17th January 2012 at 20:13.
Old 17th January 2012, 22:08   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
From the front it easy to mistake it for an Altis. Striking resemblance!
Quote:
Strange! I didn't find any resemblance, even I liked the front of this Chevy very much whether on the other hand I hate Etios front completely (Even I don't like Etios from anywhere). Etios front grill looks paper thin to me and this Chevy treatment has some depth in the front grill area and feels mature and solid.
EDIT : By mistaken I read "Etios" in place of "Altis" in comment of 'Mpower', so written all this comparing Chevy Sail Sedan with Etios, Please ignore upper part in quotes.

I never liked the "two-din-grill" treatment in any old gen Chevy car but they did something good in Cruze and in this sedan it even looks much better than the Cruze (as far as they want to retain their two-din-grill design).

In my opinion the presence of Sail Sedan is something like current gen Honda City - cute, elegant and nothing indigestible.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 17th January 2012 at 22:27. Reason: Addition
Old 17th January 2012, 22:11   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Strange! I didn't find any resemblance,
In my opinion the presence of Sail Sedan is something like current gen Honda City - cute, elegant and nothing indigestible.
Hmm...OK now take a look at this and tell me?
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP: Chevrolet Sail *Sedan* spied testing. Clear PICS on Page 9, 11, 18 & 20-corolla.jpg  

Old 17th January 2012, 22:31   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hmm...OK now take a look at this and tell me?
Sorry Mpower! I read Etios in place of Altis. I've edited my upper post.

I Still can't completely agree on the point of resemblance in design of Altis and Sail-sedan. Design Elements have some similarities but both cars feel completely different if we talk about overall presence. Altis looks more premium and Sail feels like a mid-size sedan eg - Honda-City, difference in dimensions is also expected. But one thing I like about this Sail sedan is that atleast it is not looking weird like old/new Dzire or Manza even when its a hatch converted to Sedan. Kudos to GM.
Old 17th January 2012, 22:47   #105
BHPian

I am a bit spooked with GM India now. GM India is basically now a Chinese car company.
I wouldn't touch any of its models that are not sold in the USA. They would be nothing but cheapo Chinese maal.

Cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks