Old 4th October 2011, 13:44   #511
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

I was just looking at the Duster Length versus XUV:

Duster : 4,315 (source Wikipedia)
XUVL: 4,585 (source: XUV site)

First I was thinking will 270mm make that big a difference?
Then I thought yes it will make a huge difference, provided Duster gives us a good turning radius.
I checked online and I see this is about 5.6m which is comparable to XUV.

Then yes 270mm reduction in length is a huge positive for city driving from a Duster point of view.
Yup the 270mm is almost one foot! It will meek a difference in city driving and parking. The xuv and scorp then are large. The yeti is neat. The duster will be marginally bigger than the yeti but smaller and neater than the scorp and xuv. but the turning radius and packability will be the tipping points for city usage. Bangalore is becoming more and more crowded day by day and that's one reason I d like a compact suv. Let's see what the wife thinks of the xuv anyway before deciding. In terms of value package as behemoth and many others say, yes it is the xuv that comes out on top!
Old 4th October 2011, 14:35   #512
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yup the 270mm is almost one foot! It will meek a difference in city driving and parking. The xuv and scorp then are large. The yeti is neat. The duster will be marginally bigger than the yeti but smaller and neater than the scorp and xuv. but the turning radius and packability will be the tipping points for city usage. Bangalore is becoming more and more crowded day by day and that's one reason I d like a compact suv. Let's see what the wife thinks of the xuv anyway before deciding. In terms of value package as behemoth and many others say, yes it is the xuv that comes out on top!
I would definitely agree with Shankar, even a few additional mm going to make an impact in city driving and parking. In an interview, it was said that they named it as 5OO so they can release 4OO or 6OO without worrying about the name. So my requirement would be a 4OO . Right now, waiting to hear about duster and that would help me to decide. As of now, scorpio is doing a wonderful job.
Old 4th October 2011, 15:09   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
I would definitely agree with Shankar, even a few additional mm going to make an impact in city driving and parking. In an interview, it was said that they named it as 5OO so they can release 4OO or 6OO without worrying about the name. So my requirement would be a 4OO . Right now, waiting to hear about duster and that would help me to decide. As of now, scorpio is doing a wonderful job.
+1 Yes, I also enjoy the convenience of city parking and driving in my Yeti. The length is 4223 mm and the turning radius is 5m, along with this, there is very good visibility of the bonnet. It is much easier to maneuver and park than our Civic (Civic's turning radius is 5.5 IIRC!) and the bonnet is completely invisible.
Apart from the length, these aspects are quite important!

(PS: Somehow my feeling is that after Renault did with Koleos (overpriced and overestimated market!) they will also be unrealistic with Duster pricing and will not be able to launch it below 12-13 Lacs! )

Last edited by Behemoth : 4th October 2011 at 15:10.
Old 4th October 2011, 15:22   #514
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45

That's a good one! yes it will be a distinct advantage to have a more compact vehicle going forward, given the way our world is changing and parkability becoming a serious issue. I guess that's one of the tipping points along with how many people are sitting in the vehicle and how much luggage actually is being kept in the vehicle 90% of the time during use.
Taking these things into account a smaller compact SUV may be the need of the hour more than the XL and XXL size ones. Additionally AT may become more important going forward as traffic becomes more uncontrollable. Incidentally Bangalore is now touted as the 6th worst City for traffic in the world!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th October 2011 at 15:26.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 17:51   #515
BANNED

I just went and did a personal physical comparo in size between the Scorp and the XUV.
I made the showroom chap park the Scorpio right next to the XUV with their noses aligned.
I thought this might be the best way to judge the overall size impression vehicle for vehicle.

The XUV is definitely longer and wider and this may even seem a bit exaggerated because it is reasonably shorter in height than the Scorp.

But the Scorp definitely seems much easier to buzz around the city in, than the XUV.
Because of its boxy styling, the Scorp tends to make its presence felt.

The XUV certainly looks aggressive enough to make its presence felt, but I feel that its inherent width and extra length can be a bit of a pain in a crowded, two wheeler and auto infested city like Bangalore. Also there is the issue of parking. The Scorp somehow one can squeeze in here and there. Plus I would not worry about lightly bumping the Scorp as much as I would with the XUV.

I would also be concerned about scratching the XUV on the crowded roads of Bangalore where its a free for all most of the time. Somehow the Scorp simply seems tougher overall and capable of taking a bit more of a beating in our daily use conditions.

My wife and I both feel that it is too large for the two of us and hence, may not consider the XUV as of now. In our case the last 2 seats may end up permanently folded flat on the floor since we do not foresee the need for a 7 seater at all, under our circumstances. With these last 2 seats folded down, its luggage space will be a real luxury though and one can really travel first class.

Hence my thoughts are tending more in favour of a Yeti/ Duster sized compact SUV which will meet our daily needs. Till the decision is finally made I will keep buzzing around in my Scorp.

nuff said for the moment. more later.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 19:39   #516
BHPian

Quote:
I just went and did a personal physical comparo in size between the Scorp and the XUV.
I made the showroom chap park the Scorpio right next to the XUV with their noses aligned.
I thought this might be the best way to judge the overall size impression vehicle for vehicle.

The XUV is definitely longer and wider and this may even seem a bit exaggerated because it is reasonably shorter in height than the Scorp.

But the Scorp definitely seems much easier to buzz around the city in, than the XUV.
Because of its boxy styling, the Scorp tends to make its presence felt.

The XUV certainly looks aggressive enough to make its presence felt, but I feel that its inherent width and extra length can be a bit of a pain in a crowded, two wheeler and auto infested city like Bangalore. Also there is the issue of parking. The Scorp somehow one can squeeze in here and there. Plus I would not worry about lightly bumping the Scorp as much as I would with the XUV.

I would also be concerned about scratching the XUV on the crowded roads of Bangalore where its a free for all most of the time. Somehow the Scorp simply seems tougher overall and capable of taking a bit more of a beating in our daily use conditions.

My wife and I both feel that it is too large for the two of us and hence, may not consider the XUV as of now. In our case the last 2 seats may end up permanently folded flat on the floor since we do not foresee the need for a 7 seater at all, under our circumstances. With these last 2 seats folded down, its luggage space will be a real luxury though and one can really travel first class.

Hence my thoughts are tending more in favour of a Yeti/ Duster sized compact SUV which will meet our daily needs. Till the decision is finally made I will keep buzzing around in my Scorp.

nuff said for the moment. more later.

Whatever you finalize, i will follow the same . 'cos you do and research exactly what i plan to do.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:11   #517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Whatever you finalize, i will follow the same . 'cos you do and research exactly what i plan to do.
Similar requirements here. But I don't need the AWD. (Nice to have but not a necessity).
All my hopes are pinned on the highest trim 2WD Duster.

I also hope the Ecosport lands up in the race as well.
Old 4th October 2011, 21:38   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Similar requirements here. ---I also hope the Ecosport lands up in the race as well.
Not too sure about the Ecosport-2012, though. As I understand from available material, it appears to be a Fiesta hatch on steriods, with perhaps all the attendant space constraints carried over
Old 5th October 2011, 04:28   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Similar requirements here. But I don't need the AWD. (Nice to have but not a necessity).

+1 here. I dont need AWD and highest trim 2WD compact SUV will do the job for me.
Old 5th October 2011, 06:20   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor

Not too sure about the Ecosport-2012, though. As I understand from available material, it appears to be a Fiesta hatch on steriods, with perhaps all the attendant space constraints carried over
Also, I doubt they can price it below the new Fiesta, else who would buy that.

The Duster at least would not have that constraint at it's launch.
Old 5th October 2011, 08:16   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
+1 here. I dont need AWD and highest trim 2WD compact SUV will do the job for me.
2WD + Dual airbag + ABS and that small 86PS engine will do the trick for me.

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th October 2011 at 08:20.
Old 5th October 2011, 11:50   #522
Senior - BHPian

I met some renault nissan engineers at the Delhi airport recently and had checked with them on the duster. They were quite hesitant to reveal any concrete details, but they indicated that the launch may be around Jan 2012 and the diesel engine will be based on the logan / micra's diesel albeit with more power, probably 87-90bhp or so. The engineers had obviously not divulged any pricing details, but whatever they had in mind would have to be seriously thought over now due to the XUV's launch. I for one feel that the duster should be priced below the XUV and cannot command a premium over the XUV just for its brand name. It is based on the logan and its selling as a low cost DACIA in eastern eurpoean countries, so I see no reason why they should not price it sensibly in the indian market.
Old 5th October 2011, 14:16   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
2WD + Dual airbag + ABS and that small 86PS engine will do the trick for me.
More importantly with these features sensible 5 seater 2WD price of 7-8L
Old 5th October 2011, 14:24   #524
BANNED

absolutely right!
Dacia is a lower level brand in Western Europe - since it was born in Eastern Europe it does not have much cachet at all in the developed parts of Western Europe. Renault itself as a brand, is a VFM offering in those markets. This is why the Dacia has been re-badged as a Renault for the Western European markets, to save something atleast from the Dacia name, in terms of brand value!
And now with the XUV 's stealing several marches over all the others, Renault had better load their vehicle fully and price it in line with market expectations for India.
If they do indeed pop up with the 4WD top spec version and price it at lets say 10 lacs ex showroom in Bangalore, it will become about 13 lacs on road. At this price, which is pretty much the same as the base level XUV, it will still be worth considering from an urban SUV perspective, on account of its smaller Yeti like proportions when compared to the XUV. No wonder theres talk in the Skoda camp about the lower powered Yeti at a more affordable price.
If that also comes in around early 2012, then us consumers have never had it so good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I met some renault nissan engineers at the Delhi airport recently and had checked with them on the duster. They were quite hesitant to reveal any concrete details, but they indicated that the launch may be around Jan 2012 and the diesel engine will be based on the logan / micra's diesel albeit with more power, probably 87-90bhp or so. The engineers had obviously not divulged any pricing details, but whatever they had in mind would have to be seriously thought over now due to the XUV's launch. I for one feel that the duster should be priced below the XUV and cannot command a premium over the XUV just for its brand name. It is based on the logan and its selling as a low cost DACIA in eastern eurpoean countries, so I see no reason why they should not price it sensibly in the indian market.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th October 2011 at 14:25.
Old 5th October 2011, 14:39   #525
Senior - BHPian

Considering two strikes up for Renault, will the Duster be the third strike for them? Oh wait, didnt they give themselves a 5 strike out rule?

Quote:

Hence my thoughts are tending more in favour of a Yeti/ Duster sized compact SUV which will meet our daily needs.
Quite similar to our thought process/ requirements as well. Perhaps this is where the Xylo CS would come in? I hope its more XUVish than Xyloish though.

Lets see how things move ahead
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks