Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 16:40   #526
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!

The mini Xylo's spare wheel will be on its tailgate. Effectively a slightly crossbred version of an SUV + MiniVan. The idea behind the Mini Xylo can be likened the Premier Rio which was supposed to be to set alight the mini SUV market here in India!
And I do believe that there could be a 4WD version of this mini Xylo on offer too.
Yet, this will not be as good looking nor as rugged looking as either the Duster or the Yeti from a Mini SUV perspective. At best one can think of it as a Mini MUV perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Considering two strikes up for Renault, will the Duster be the third strike for them? Oh wait, didnt they give themselves a 5 strike out rule?

Quite similar to our thought process/ requirements as well. Perhaps this is where the Xylo CS would come in? I hope its more XUVish than Xyloish though.

Lets see how things move ahead
Old 5th October 2011, 19:57   #527
BHPian

Some red hot pics of Duster

Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-reddaciaduster.jpg

Renault Duster. EDIT : Now confirmed for India!-reddaciadusterrear.jpg

Source - In Images - Is this red Renault Duster smoking hot?
Old 6th October 2011, 04:42   #528
BHPian

ohh boy..red Duster looks hot! Love the front profile of this car. Surprisingly the chrome plated OVRMs go well with this colour.
Old 8th October 2011, 00:46   #529
BHPian

What did I ask you? oh Come on... What else do I ask you? Why do you make me wait so much?
One compact SUV, 5 seats and some space to put 2 lady luggages and my small travel suit case, good quality interiors, 2 ltr engine, 4X2 FWD (a bit of under steering is fine), 8 - 10L ex-showroom, reliable, City-12 and high way-15 kmpl, Diesel, above 195 mm GC, few inches head clearance (6ft tall).

oh come on...

Last edited by kolimuttai : 8th October 2011 at 00:48.
Old 8th October 2011, 19:52   #530
BHPian

wow!!!!red is cool, that made me search Renault Duster black and its awesome and at that price, its a steal, IF and WHEN it comes to India. Cant wait. God grant me patience, but please HURRY!
Old 8th October 2011, 20:39   #531
Team-BHP Support

Indians love chrome, and Renault knows this! They've done their homework.

I like the way it looks. Simple. Clean. And a little imposing too, despite the size. The Duster will be an absolute hit, IMO. Only if, and only, if Renault price it correctly. I do not want this to go the Fusion route, even though Ford priced it alright. The perception of the average car-buyer was not good. Renault has to price this well. Let's hope they do, or it would be a great product let down by unrealistic pricing.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th October 2011 at 20:41.
Old 8th October 2011, 21:28   #532
BHPian

Looking at the prices at which Fluence and Koleos have been launched, I have little hopes that they would price it anything below 10-12 Lacs.

At that price range I think it would be a waste of time waiting for this car.

Anyways, only time will open up the cards, so lets just wait and watch ..

In the meanwhile, has anyone spotted the test mule of this car on Indian roads? If yes, can it be posted here on this thread? Just trying to get a feel of how big this car is going to be (as compared to other SUVs). I am looking out for a five seater vehicle with loads of boot space and if it is the right size maybe will book it at the tie of launch it self. I infact even visited Mahindra showroom today and took a look at the new Bolero. Kind of liked it and might end buying one, but would like to wait and watch this space for Duster specs and price as well ....

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 8th October 2011 at 21:31.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 23:16   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Looking at the prices at which Fluence and Koleos have been launched, I have little hopes that they would price it anything below 10-12 Lacs.

At that price range I think it would be a waste of time waiting for this car.

I infact even visited Mahindra showroom today and took a look at the new Bolero. Kind of liked it and might end buying one, but would like to wait and watch this space for Duster specs and price as well ....
At 12L if they launch selectable on the fly 4x4 with A/T tranny with decent quality interiors and necessary safety ABS, twin airbags, Infotainment and other utility features it will become a hit for Renault.

Renault has to build trust with Indian buyers which they miserably failed with their stint with Logan selling.
Old 8th October 2011, 23:31   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
At 12L if they launch selectable on the fly 4x4 with A/T tranny with decent quality interiors and necessary safety ABS, twin airbags, Infotainment and other utility features it will become a hit for Renault.
Renault has to build trust with Indian buyers which they miserably failed with their stint with Logan selling.
Won't agree completely .. these days ABS & airbags are available on comparetively cheaper cars as well (Vista, Figo) and A/T is there on cars like A-star. 12 L for just the 4X4 still does not make sense to me!

For that kind of money why wont I think of getting a scrop or XUV or Safari which are already tried a tested (except for the XUV, but for Mahindra yes). Add to that a cheaky number of service stations (Just 40 or so as of now, right?)

Logan, I think was a huge hit with the radio cabs and I still like the sturdy build of the car. Plus the price range at which it is offered is too good.

So, for same engine, almost same interiors, I am noway going to shell out 12L.

Most of us are not off roading fans, including me. General public, as far as I understand would probably want a car that does the job and does it well, no matter if it has the 4X4 or not. Ya, the A/T might be on top list of a few, but for me it takes out the fun of driving.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 8th October 2011, 23:47   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Won't agree completely .. these days ABS & airbags are available on comparetively cheaper cars as well (Vista, Figo) and A/T is there on cars like A-star. 12 L for just the 4X4 still does not make sense to me!

For that kind of money why wont I think of getting a scrop or XUV or Safari which are already tried a tested (except for the XUV, but for Mahindra yes). Add to that a cheaky number of service stations (Just 40 or so as of now, right?)

Logan, I think was a huge hit with the radio cabs and I still like the sturdy build of the car. Plus the price range at which it is offered is too good.

So, for same engine, almost same interiors, I am noway going to shell out 12L.

Most of us are not off roading fans, including me. General public, as far as I understand would probably want a car that does the job and does it well, no matter if it has the 4X4 or not. Ya, the A/T might be on top list of a few, but for me it takes out the fun of driving.

Just my 2 cents.
In India SUV means jack up the prices by 30% but being 5 seater Duster 4x2 manual is a large hatch with large tyres with good ground clearance. Asper cars greater than 1500cc/ 4meter rule it may get expensive by increased excise duty. but a decently 4x2 must possible at 6-7L add a lakh each for A/T and 4X4 features a competant A/T, 4x4 less than 10L is technically profitably feasible for Renault. But manufacturer's greed is the norm of Indian SUV market.

It is a market where Antique Bolero with 63hp engine sells at 7L with no safety features at all.

A prudent Renault can potentially syphon off 4K monthly from Bolero's monthly 8-9K sales figures if Renault offer Duster 4x2 at killer prices and teach Mahindra a lesson and we as customers benefit.

Let us wait and see

Last edited by harimakesh : 8th October 2011 at 23:48.
Old 9th October 2011, 00:05   #536
BHPian

Quote:
In India SUV means jack up the prices by 30% but being 5 seater Duster 4x2 manual is a large hatch with large tyres with good ground clearance. Asper cars greater than 1500cc/ 4meter rule it may get expensive by increased excise duty. but a decently 4x2 must possible at 6-7L add a lakh each for A/T and 4X4 features a competant A/T, 4x4 less than 10L is technically profitably feasible for Renault. But manufacturer's greed is the norm of Indian SUV market.

It is a market where Antique Bolero with 63hp engine sells at 7L with no safety features at all.

A prudent Renault can potentially syphon off 4K monthly from Bolero's monthly 8-9K sales figures if Renault offer Duster 4x2 at killer prices and teach Mahindra a lesson and we as customers benefit.

Let us wait and see

hmm those 1.5 wale rules!! :(

Hey and Bolero to me looks like a good package (minus the features!!) to me if the rear seats are removed and the space is kept only for luggage. Verito top end and Bolero SLX cost the same!!!

Lets see how well Renault has invested in Indian market study to launch their "cheapest" SUV!
Old 9th October 2011, 07:02   #537
Senior - BHPian

I have always felt that Duster is a station wagon variant of Logan. How much more was Palio Adventure priced over Petra?
May be Renault can charge us a wee bit extra for better suspensions than Logan.
This is assuming that interiors and features of Duster will remain the same as Logan.
Old 9th October 2011, 09:23   #538
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
4x4 less than 10L is technically profitably feasible for Renault.
Where did you get that?
4x4 dci costs 15600 euros(above 10 lakhs) in romania where it is locally manufactured. Here it wont be 100% localized for sure. And with taxes and duties, ex-showroom for 4x4 wont be less than 12 lakhs. Unless the Indian operations doubles up as export base, they wont have enough volumes to push down the profit per vehicle drastically. So, 12 lakhs is the most optimistic figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I have always felt that Duster is a station wagon variant of Logan. How much more was Palio Adventure priced over Petra?
May be Renault can charge us a wee bit extra for better suspensions than Logan.
This is assuming that interiors and features of Duster will remain the same as Logan.
You should check out the reviews in the internet. Duster is not just a logan on stills. It is quite capable off-road compared with other crossover suvs.

Last edited by mxx : 9th October 2011 at 09:34.
Old 9th October 2011, 09:38   #539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Where did you get that?
4x4 dci costs 15600 euros(above 10 lakhs) in romania where it is locally manufactured. Here it wont be 100% localized for sure. And with taxes and duties, ex-showroom for 4x4 wont be less than 12 lakhs. Unless the Indian operations doubles up as export base, they wont have enough volumes to push down the profit per vehicle drastically. So, 12 lakhs is the most optimistic figure.
That is where the whole game is hinged on. Without even being in that territory, it
now gets compared to XUV. (It being priced similarly, in spite of XUV having a bigger engine and space)

Now lets assume they price the top end 4x4 at 12 or 12.5 ex-showroom (hope its Bangalore as price cannot go higher than that !),
(Again just a wild assumption above which they theoretically cannot afford to go)

Then the only way they can justify that price would be to have a much-much superior build quality, fit and finish, plastics
and better engineering than XUV. That would be the only way, buyer wont feel cheated that he/she has paid the same amount
for which he could have got an XUV. Even the equipment levels is no battle field as XUV comes with every thing!

So what ever reduced set of equipment list Renault offers, it has to be "complete" from a daily use point of view.
They should not be caught with feedback like some basic items missing from the list. And not mention again, their quality should a cut above.

Last edited by ampere : 9th October 2011 at 09:43.
Old 9th October 2011, 09:55   #540
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That is where the whole game is hinged on. Without even being in that territory, it
now gets compared to XUV. (It being priced similarly, in spite of XUV having a bigger engine and space)

Now lets assume they price the top end 4x4 at 12 or 12.5 ex-showroom (hope its Bangalore as price cannot go higher than that !),
(Again just a wild assumption above which they theoretically cannot afford to go)

Then the only way they can justify that price would be to have a much-much superior build quality, fit and finish, plastics
and better engineering than XUV. That would be the only way, buyer wont feel cheated that he/she has paid the same amount
for which he could have got an XUV. Even the equipment levels is no battle field as XUV comes with every thing!

So what ever reduced set of equipment list Renault offers, it has to be "complete" from a daily use point of view.
They should not be caught with feedback like some basic items missing from the list. And not mention again, their quality should a cut above.
There is no other option for renault at the moment. Mahindra and likes gets a lot of concession when it comes to duties compared to foreign manufacturer. Why else do you think Pawan Goenka as SIAM president was quiet when the new ckd definition was introduced? The foreign manufacturers where individually making statement and meeting officials, unlike other times when SIAM takes up the issue directly with the govt. By old ckd definition, yeti could have been atleast 20% cheaper. Not a good thing for tata and mahindra right?
So, renault will have same limitations. It will be very difficult to sell duster less than xuv price for these reasons.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks