Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2010, 22:37   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

WOW ! Thats cool Sid ! Thanks for your pics.

So both sedan and hatchback are being launched on the 1st of Dec ? And looks like Etios has cracked it ! But the orange is too flashy for me - Hope thats not going to be standard on the production cars!

Any idea on the prices?
Old 21st November 2010, 23:06   #257
BHPian

I cannot figure out what the car's USP is. Granted, it's a Toyota. But even when you're trying to appeal to a price conscious customer, you still have to deal with a certain amount of aspiration. Why would he/she choose something that ugly? Also, Toyota isn't exactly known for being cheap.

If you ask me, Toyota still doesn't have the brand power like Maruti to sell something like this. I thought quirkiness was reserved for the Koreans but heck, even Hyundai would've thought twice before launching something like this.

We used to chastise Maruti for the Dzire's looks and Hyundai for the ugly Verna Transform. But they come out as saints when one sees what Toyota has in planned for us .
Old 21st November 2010, 23:54   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydras View Post
I cannot figure out what the car's USP is. Granted, it's a Toyota. But even when you're trying to appeal to a price conscious customer, you still have to deal with a certain amount of aspiration. Why would he/she choose something that ugly? Also, Toyota isn't exactly known for being cheap.

If you ask me, Toyota still doesn't have the brand power like Maruti to sell something like this. I thought quirkiness was reserved for the Koreans but heck, even Hyundai would've thought twice before launching something like this.

We used to chastise Maruti for the Dzire's looks and Hyundai for the ugly Verna Transform. But they come out as saints when one sees what Toyota has in planned for us .
By this logic the Honda Civic should be outselling the Toyota Corolla Altis. But it's not.
Old 22nd November 2010, 00:35   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Fan View Post
By this logic the Honda Civic should be outselling the Toyota Corolla Altis. But it's not.

Toyota Corolla Altis provides more bang for the buck in terms of features, compared to the Civic.

The Civic may look space age but that doesnt mean Altis' conservative style is any bit appalling. In fact many seem to like the relatively understated looks.

On the other hand, Etios looks dated/built to cost and down right ugly.
Old 22nd November 2010, 00:50   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Fan View Post
Though The Altis is not a looker like a Civic, it has a very proportionate design and classy understated look and defintely looks like a proper executive sedan.

The Etios on the other and looks a generation old even before the launch. Even the interiors look pathetic with the central console and odd placement of AC vents.
I would go to the extent of saying that Toyota has showcased mediocrity in the name of providing value and they are not wrong because this is what most of Indian customers want and hence makes perfect business sense!

But all said and done, it seems to score well on the 2 most important aspects - space and FE and add the Toyota badge on top of that with a killer pricing, this is sure to set the sales charts on Fire. Be prepared for huge waiting periods!

One thing I admit - Toyota, unlike Honda, Understands the Indian market and their needs very well. Whichever segment they launch their cars are the segment leaders - Innova/Fortunner/Altis.
Old 22nd November 2010, 01:20   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
But all said and done, it seems to score well on the 2 most important aspects - space and FE and add the Toyota badge on top of that with a killer pricing, this is sure to set the sales charts on Fire. Be prepared for huge waiting periods!

One thing I admit - Toyota, unlike Honda, Understands the Indian market and their needs very well. Whichever segment they launch their cars are the segment leaders - Innova/Fortunner/Altis.
+ 1 ! Etios is going to be placed in a segment where practicality matters. Its going to compete with Dzire, Manza, Logan etc ! Dont understand which of these cars are actually a looker ! So why fume when Etios is also not a great looking car. For me, the Toyota badge + reliability matters more than looks in this front. And yes, If it had great looks, I would be happier. But If I have to select another car from this segment, I would have chosen the Manza anyday. I like it better in the segment.

Probably this is how Toyota wants to create a brand name for themselves in the mid size sedan & hatchback space. As you rightly said, they are the market leaders in all segments they cater to now ! I would be really happy if they break Maruti's monopoly in these segments! But Toyota, bring on the diesel soon! That will work wonders for you. And yes, please be ready to meet the demand and also the service parameters.
Old 22nd November 2010, 08:55   #262
Senior - BHPian

as expected the diesel will join in later.
any idea if the hatch gets the diesel?
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:04   #263
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
WOW ! Thats cool Sid ! Thanks for your pics.

So both sedan and hatchback are being launched on the 1st of Dec ? And looks like Etios has cracked it ! But the orange is too flashy for me - Hope thats not going to be standard on the production cars!

Any idea on the prices?

The article says the hatch is expected in March 2011.

This car is going to do damn well, its going to get the ka-ching in the bank for Toyota, and establish the biggest car maker in the world's footing in India. What this car is not going to do - is give you that feeling 'Ah! its MY toyota'! The crusiers, camrys, corollas; they didn't become best sellers by devaluing its image, they became so by making a statement. Unfortunately, this car next to a Mahindra Logan would look like its sibling - or worse, maybe a second generation Logan.

Orange embellishments, Orange gear knob, plasticky console, single wiper (ala Nano)... they managed to get steering controls but no power mirrors?

I'm sorry, but brace yourself to see a lot of Etios on the road, but i'm not going to want to have one in my garage. Period.

Last edited by methecupid : 22nd November 2010 at 09:05.
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:22   #264
BHPian

If the interiors quality is good, i might pick the hatch version of this.
By the way, can we expect a TBHP review soon GTO.
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:39   #265
BHPian

Got a call from Radhakrishna Toyota Hyderabad on Friday. The Toyota Etios bookings are open and they are launching the car in December first week and will get the delivery in the first week of January. Initially only petrol Variant Sedan is available for booking and will cost from 6 to 8 Lakhs
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:59   #266
BHPian

No VVT engine on the Saloon?
What about the hatch? Will there be a 3 pot motor for 1.2l hatch? Looks like the Sedan is targeted only at chauffeur driven market as there are 2 vents for rear passenger (the driver has to be content with only one), the spedo console is center mounted so that seth can look at what speed his driver is going at.
I would want this car to fail so that Toyota can relook at their strategy for India and Developing markets. But then I am going to proved wrong.
The bottom-line is there is nothing exciting in this car for me other than the fact that it is affordable. Hope the After - Sales - Service also does not go down after the car is launched.

Last edited by DWind : 22nd November 2010 at 10:00.
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:11   #267
BHPian

My 2 cents..... Does the fact that the Qualis looked like a breadbox take away from its reliability? I assume a majority of the customers would overlook style for peace of mind reliability.
And beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder.....
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:39   #268
BHPian

The upcoming Nissan Sunny looks much better than Etios. It looks a bigger car than Etios. Seems like there is a big war going on between the Japs.
Old 22nd November 2010, 13:07   #269

Just when I was getting used to the "Mini-me Logan" exteriors, comes the "Bangla bashers" designed dashboard. Yuck!!

But 8 Lakh onroad is a stonker of price and will pull the rug under i20, Polo and the likes.

With considerable heartache, i am forced to accept that this car was never meant for enthusiast.
Old 22nd November 2010, 13:16   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clix22 View Post
I assume a majority of the customers would overlook style for peace of mind reliability.
I hope the above statement implies to the C segment . If then i agree because neither Logan, Dzire or Manza are lookers. I have seen the Etios (concept)during the road show and i found it to be really built to a price so lets hope its priced agressively. I maybe jumping to a conclusion too soon but somehow i personally prefer Manza among others in this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Initially only petrol Variant Sedan is available for booking and will cost from 6 to 8 Lakhs
If this is the price of petrol , then the diesel 7-9? There is already too much speculation on pricing, I am hopeful Toyota will charge minimal premium over competitors.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks