Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 18:41   #871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
In USA and Europe, anything with a sliding rear door is a minivan like Sienna, Odyssey among others. Also called as MPV - Multi Purpose Vehicle. A minivan with 4wd is still a minivan and not crossover.

Crossover are tall station wagons, basically with four normal doors and are slotted right between a minivan and suv. These are usually built on car platform having some features of SUV. Basically wagons that look like suv and ride like cars.

Example: Toyota Avanza is a crossover while Toyota Sienna is a mini van.

This is just my opinion and have been formed after living in USA for 3 years and watching difference between minivan and crossover.
In the USA most of the crossovers are 5 seaters. The only one I know to be a 7 seater crossover is the Mazda cx-9. Though there are other 7 seater SUV types like Honda Pilot, etc. I don't think they come under crossover.

Similarly ARIA is the first crossover in India. But everything depends on how it is to drive and how the ride is for the passengers. Though we have seen that the car is being tested extensively, I don't know how many of those drives are with 7 (driver+6) people traveling.

We need a GTO test drive real soon!
Old 9th July 2010, 22:17   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In USA and Europe, anything with a sliding rear door is a minivan like Sienna, Odyssey among others. Also called as MPV - Multi Purpose Vehicle. A minivan with 4wd is still a minivan and not crossover.
Also keep in mind this is a strategy followed by all the main manufactures. There will be a Sedan, SUV and Minivan based on the same platform, and follows a cycle, By the time last derivative is rolled out, the platform will be upgraded to the next version, and the first vehicle will be always Sedan.
Toyota - Camry, Highlander, Sienna
Honda - Accord, Pilot, Odyssy
Tata - Vista/Manza, Aria, ???
[Of course Tata could roll out a small SUV similar to Skoda Yeti also from the same platform, not sure whether it is planned at all]
Simple terms, Cross over is an SUV based on a car platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
In the USA most of the crossovers are 5 seaters. The only one I know to be a 7 seater crossover is the Mazda cx-9. Though there are other 7 seater SUV types like Honda Pilot, etc. I don't think they come under crossover.
Xovers with more than 5 seats sold in USA, GMC Acadia 8 Seats, Toyota Highlander 7 Seats, Honda Pilot 8 Seats, Acura MDX (7 Seats), Ford Flex ( 7 Seats), Chrysler Journey (7 Seats).... [ And their derivatives with sister brands]

Last edited by teamveevee : 9th July 2010 at 22:29.
Old 9th July 2010, 23:02   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Simple terms, Cross over is an SUV based on a car platform.
Is this is right specification to call a vehicle as Crossover? Someone might build a crossover and not a sedan in the platform.

Quote:
Xovers with more than 5 seats sold in USA, GMC Acadia 8 Seats, Toyota Highlander 7 Seats, Honda Pilot 8 Seats, Acura MDX (7 Seats), Ford Flex ( 7 Seats), Chrysler Journey (7 Seats).... [ And their derivatives with sister brands]
However even in their respective sites, Acura MDX, Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander are classified as SUV or utility vehicles.

So, the definition of a Crossover seems to be loosefly based on either platform or driving dynamics. More clarification would be very helpful.
Old 10th July 2010, 12:00   #874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The list you have mentioned are all SUV's. Not full bred SUV 4x4, but SUV's none the less.

KIA Sorento, Hyundai Veracruz (7-seater), Lexus RX, Nissan Murano, Toyota Avanza, Acura RDX are Crossovers.

Also i did mention that these crossovers ride like cars and are based on SUV platform so i stand corrected.

And from the looks of it, Aria is a cross over, don't know its platform but must be along the lines of Safari and I hope it rides as well as Manza or any other sedan. If its launched in USA, it will sell good if they put in a more powerful petrol engine and get some good dealerships.

Last edited by chevelle : 10th July 2010 at 12:03.
Old 10th July 2010, 12:12   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The list you have mentioned are all SUV's. Not full bred SUV 4x4, but SUV's none the less.
No, all of these are classified as cross overs as all are based on car platforms.
Quote:
[Aria]If its launched in USA, it will sell good if they put in a more powerful petrol engine and get some good dealerships.
Off topic.
In US, there is Chrysler Pacifica, which looks very similar to Aria, but never able to sell in good numbers and eventually discontinued. Also the first vehicle from TM to hit USA will be Nano, So TM dont have any plans to sell any other vehicles in US, They had a tie with GEM to export electric ACE, but looks like Chrysler bankruptcy affected this plans also.
Old 10th July 2010, 14:10   #876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, all of these are classified as cross overs as all are based on car platforms.
The names I listed are based on sedan platform. But SUV like pilot is not based on sedan platform. It is based on Passport and MDX.

Honda Pilot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USA has a thin line definition for SUV, Crossovers and Mini-Van. So lets get back to the topic of Aria.

I know TATA doesn't have any plans of USA ops, i was just wishing if they had do that it would be good. And Pacifia looks quite different than Aria. Just my opinion.

Last edited by chevelle : 10th July 2010 at 14:13.
Old 10th July 2010, 14:26   #877
BANNED

The aria looks good but TATA must change the design of number plate mount in rear tail gate.The shape is similar to TATA INDIGO and looks Vbad.

Also the last row window shape can be little better

BTW i liked the twin exhaust well integrated in the bumper

Any like minded tbhpian here ?
Old 10th July 2010, 18:14   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post

BTW i liked the twin exhaust well integrated in the bumper

Any like minded tbhpian here ?
You found one in me regarding the exhaust.
Old 10th July 2010, 21:24   #879
Senior - BHPian

Saw a program in NewsX this afternoon on Aria. It showed a video of Aria on the roads with virtual surroundings.

I am guessing that Tata Motors would have provided the video to the channel.

Price tag mentioned was 12 Lakhs.
Old 11th July 2010, 07:18   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Saw a program in NewsX this afternoon on Aria. It showed a video of Aria on the roads with virtual surroundings.

Awesome - If it had to be on a news channel, then [I think] it should be an official video only. The price of 12L (assuming Ex-showroom) seems very encouraging and again, assuming from a TATA source, but not a T-BHPian speculation !

Prem.
Old 11th July 2010, 10:27   #881
BHPian

Quote:
I know TATA doesn't have any plans of USA ops, i was just wishing if they had do that it would be good. And Pacifia looks quite different than Aria. Just my opinion.
IMO TATA does have a plan for USA but it seems like they are going slow and steady. Couple of months ago there was this news about TATA setting up an auto plant in mexico. May be that is the plant to produce NANO for north and south america from central america.

I googled and found a link -http://www.insideline.com/tata/nano/tata-to-build-assembly-plant-in-mexico.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post

I hope 12 Lakhs is for the top end . If so it would be a very competitive price and would work very favorably for ARIA
Old 12th July 2010, 08:35   #882
Senior - BHPian

I saw the Aria yest evening in Pune coming from Aundh and going towards Pune on the highway. Got a few pics too. Ozone blue color. Its a nice looking vehicle, quite classy The D pillar reminds me of the CRV. Shut lines seemed much better. Very quiet car. I think the Parsee Bawaji being driven in it got it free from Ratan Tata, pre launch.
Old 12th July 2010, 08:42   #883
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 12th July 2010 at 10:23.
TheARUN is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th July 2010, 10:20   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I saw the Aria yest evening in Pune coming from Aundh and going towards Pune on the highway. Got a few pics too. Ozone blue color. Its a nice looking vehicle, quite classy The D pillar reminds me of the CRV. Shut lines seemed much better. Very quiet car. I think the Parsee Bawaji being driven in it got it free from Ratan Tata, pre launch.
I think some senior executives must have got pre launch Aria's for their daily use . Most of the Aria's i see at Pune have quite a few people in them. The other day i spotted one on the Pune - Mumbai expressway with a full family inside (kids and all). Daily use is when all the niggles are exposed, so this kind of makes sense..!
Old 12th July 2010, 11:19   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Got a few pics too. Ozone blue color.
Where are the pics mate. Need to see how blue color looks. Please upload fast. Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks