Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 15:45   #706
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano burning incidents go international

Yup, i too read it.. I saw another article of the same: The Tata Nano’s fiery woes continue as a Nano catches fire in Sri Lanka! | IndianCarsBikes.in

Last week a Nano was up in flames in Gujarat : Nano after Nano, one more Nano catches fire in Anand, Gujarat | Rush Lane

wonder what Tata Motors will have to say for these fire incidents.. In the past, the underplayed by saying 'investigations are on... note that more than 80,000 Nanos are running on roads without trouble'

What answer has Tata Motors got to say for the current Nano owners like me?
Old 7th September 2011, 15:48   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Torque View Post
Yup, i too read it.. I saw another article of the same: The Tata Nano’s fiery woes continue as a Nano catches fire in Sri Lanka! | IndianCarsBikes.in
=============
What answer has Tata Motors got to say for the current Nano owners like me?
They believe more in out of court settlement than doing a total recall. Tata Motors is losing its credibility each day.
Old 7th September 2011, 15:58   #708
BHPian

re: Tata Nano Fire Incidents. EDIT: Tata's analysis on page 34

Nano, sold to Sri Lanka also got into fire incident. Check this out:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post2496963)
Old 7th September 2011, 16:02   #709
BHPian

I was told by someone that the overheating of the plastic number plates on the rear typically leads to the fires. Is that true?

Rgds,
NagaSid
Old 7th September 2011, 16:18   #710
BHPian

I guess this project is doomed. It is surprising that a company with Tata's calibre is not able to sort this out. Parts falling off n all seem trivial compared to this. No wonder the sales are tanking as no one would like to be tandoori . Luckily for Tata there haven't been any human casualties.
Old 7th September 2011, 16:27   #711
BHPian

@naga.sid, the numbers plates in my Nano are made of steel. But, there seem to be no concrete reason for Nano fire incidents. In this case (Nano fire incident in Srilanka), the aritcle reports:
--------------
According to director Budget Taxi, Kelum Jayasumana, they are yet to find out why the car suddenly caught fire. “We have contacted the Tata Nano company in India. Officials representing the company will be in the country tonight (Friday),” he said.

When asked if he was aware that the Nano Cab has a reputation for being spontaneously combustible, Jayasumana said that they had indeed been informed about it.

“The problem with the Indian cars turns out to be faulty silencers,” he said.

Tata had however looked into the issue and rectified it before sending the vehicles to Sri Lanka.

Jayasumana added that the two incidents could be totally unrelated. “We will find out soon what the problem is when the Tata officials come,” he said.
--------------
This essentially means, despite safety checks, the Nano had caught fire and the taxi owner has been informed that there has been problem with Indian Nano cars due to faulty silencers.
Old 7th September 2011, 17:26   #712
Senior - BHPian

Two more Nano's caught fire last week.

One was in Anand, Gujarat:

Quote:
Tata Motors’ cheapest and small car once again caught fire on the shores of Anand, Gujarat and is in news not for great sales numbers or capturing another international market but for bursting out with flames and leaving the surrounding shocked and horrified. The reason for catching fire is still unknown and the outraging incident happened quite near to Sanand plant where the Nano is manufactured and rolled out.
According to details from local Fire Brigade Officials, the Nano was in the name of Hafsa Mohd Iqbal Kathadi, who is employed with an insurance company based in Anand. But unfortunately during the incident the Nano was being driven by the owner’s husband and in the car he was accompanied by fellow mates as well.
Mr. Kathadi stated that on reaching Krishna road, Anand, he and his four friends travelling in Nano observed smoke peeping through, which was coming out of the car and soon they realized that the smoke was getting more eminent. They immediately parked the car at the roadside and got out of the steamy Nano and within minutes fire broke out from the rear of the car where the engine is located and burnt down the entire vehicle.
The trouble for the carmaker Tata Motors just doesn’t seem to come at halt as this is the eighth model of Nano that had caught fire, and the company is strictly working to preserve the safety image of its cheapest carNano. But nothing seems to be going great for the proud automaker and surely they must work out something as soon as possible.
Source

The other was in Chennai. (Found the video on YouTube)

Don't know what to say - Tata need to everything they can to save the Nano - sales are not even in the Top 20 as of August'11.

Last edited by anekho : 7th September 2011 at 17:28.
Old 7th September 2011, 18:15   #713
Senior - BHPian

Holy crap !!! The amount of smoke and flames is incredible.

I am seeing quite some new Nanos back home in Kerala - bought for personal and business use (by lottery-ticket sellers - saw atleast 2 cars being used for this purpose).
Old 7th September 2011, 18:27   #714
BHPian

It has not been an hour yet since I travelled in Budget Taxi to Colombo airport. The journey was far more comfortable compared to any of the Merucabs taxis (aided by the quality of roads here). The driver was all praises for the Nano. Nobody in SL talked of the fire incident. I sincerely hope that Tata fixes the problems and the car achieves its stated objectives.

I saw an ad of Bajaj Auto in a newspaper in Colombo today. It said that the rickshaw can also be used for personal travel. Another hoarding on the street divider said that Bajaj makes the best family vehicle! How mean can they get. Tata MUST fix these fire incidents atleast to banish Bajaj (and other) rickshaws.
Attached Images

Old 7th September 2011, 18:36   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post

One was in Anand, Gujarat:

Source

The other was in Chennai. (Found the video on YouTube)

Don't know what to say - Tata need to everything they can to save the Nano - sales are not even in the Top 20 as of August'11.
Why are people still hovering around the smoke engulfed car?
What if the fuel tank explodes. this is utter disregard for ones own life.

edit: saw it more closely and one person is trying to extinguish the fire. Still does not make sense for others to hang/loiter around.

Last edited by racer_m : 7th September 2011 at 18:38.
Old 7th September 2011, 19:02   #716
Senior - BHPian

Given that fuel tank is in front, how come flames are emanating from back door?
Old 8th September 2011, 06:55   #717
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nano catches fire in Sri-Lanka:

Tata Motors seems to be getting into deeper trouble after another Tata Nano burst into flames, now in Sri Lanka. The car was being used as a taxi by a cab company in Sri Lanka by the name Budget Taxi. Tata Motors had just started exporting Nanos to Sri Lanka in May, 2011. In just 4 months, the flames have debuted in Sri Lanka too.
Just a while ago, we reported a Tata Nano that caught fire at Anand, Gujarat. these flames have not only been burning the car but also its reputation thus, pushing the sales downwards. It is a fact that Tata Motors had concluded its investigations in the previous fires and commented that the flames weren’t due to any engineering faults. However, due to the repeated mishaps in regular intervals, there seems to be something fishy and Tata Motors owes and explanation for the same.

The recent alarming infernos have put up a huge question mark on the safety of the car. (Motoroids)
My opinion:
Have a feeling TML is dragging it's feet. Exporting it's burning issue to other countries in the region isn't going to help matters. This car deserves a "Total Recall" until and unless the issue is sorted out the production must be stopped. The company that brags about it's corporate social responsibility must have some moral responsibility, too.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 8th September 2011 at 07:11.
Old 9th September 2011, 01:43   #718
BHPian

Read this article : Nano fire in Chennai, as someone earlier in this post pointed... It has been the third incident within a week.
1. Gujarat. 2. Sri Lanka and 3. Chennai next? mine? oh my god!!!

Yet another Tata Nano fire reported, this time from Chennai! | IndianCarsBikes.in

I am a Nano owner, and I live at Chennai. I sparingly use my Nano as we have another car (Indigo CS) for regular purpose. I am very much scared now to start the engine and drive for a while, who knows smoke may come out and I need to stare embarassed on road when everybody watches the Nano burning.

In any which ways is it possible to request Mr. Ratan Tata to immediately deal this matter as high priority, Team BHPians, how to do that?

Last edited by Bottom Torque : 9th September 2011 at 01:47.
Old 9th September 2011, 01:50   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
It has not been an hour yet since I travelled in Budget Taxi to Colombo airport. The journey was far more comfortable compared to any of the Merucabs taxis (aided by the quality of roads here). The driver was all praises for the Nano. Nobody in SL talked of the fire incident. I sincerely hope that Tata fixes the problems and the car achieves its stated objectives.

I saw an ad of Bajaj Auto in a newspaper in Colombo today. It said that the rickshaw can also be used for personal travel. Another hoarding on the street divider said that Bajaj makes the best family vehicle! How mean can they get. Tata MUST fix these fire incidents atleast to banish Bajaj (and other) rickshaws.
The car after fire incident

and one more pic of the same car

Last edited by Bottom Torque : 9th September 2011 at 01:53.
Old 9th September 2011, 06:23   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post

Don't know what to say - Tata need to everything they can to save the Nano
More than save the Nano, they need to act responsibly and save the lives of innocent customers. I mean, this is seriously a disaster in the waiting going by the number of Nanos on fire. Thanks to Almighty that there has been no loss of human lives in any of the Nano fire incidents. 3 cars catching fire in different cities in a week is something to seriously scratch the heads. Tata needs to stop selling this car until they find out the route-cause of the problem and rectify it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks