Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 06:32   #721
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Nano Fire Incidents. EDIT: Tata's analysis on page 34

Tata Nano: "More fires per car" than admissible.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 10:50   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Torque View Post
Read this article : Nano fire in Chennai, as
I am a Nano owner, and I live at Chennai. I sparingly use my Nano as we have another car (Indigo CS) for regular purpose. I am very much scared now to start the engine and drive for a while, who knows smoke may come out and I need to stare embarassed on road when everybody watches the Nano burning.
My Nano LX 2010 model is nearing 22,000 kms. No problems. I drive it without any hesitation even now. Out of 2 lakh cars, a few issues are common with all cars. It becomes a big news for nano, that's all. I agree that tata has to take it seriously and correct the issues. But, I have serious doubts in my mind. Last month, nano sales is rock bottom. The rivals must have thought that this is the right point to kill nano with some more fire accidents. Otherwise, three accidents almost parallel at three places like planned bomb blasts.... Getting some smell ?
Old 9th September 2011, 15:13   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Torque View Post
The car after fire incident

and one more pic of the same car
I repeat that Tata must fix these fire problems. Nano has a lot more things to achieve in future.
Old 9th September 2011, 15:54   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
I repeat that Tata must fix these fire problems. Nano has a lot more things to achieve in future.
Well, Nano has nothing left to achieve. It started at the top of a basin and slowly moving down into the drains. I won't be surprised if Tata scraps its low cost car project.
Old 9th September 2011, 15:59   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal

Well, Nano has nothing left to achieve. It started at the top of a basin and slowly moving down into the drains. I won't be surprised if Tata scraps its low cost car project.
Look at any family traveling on 2-wheelers, dangerously holding on to their lives. Nano should succeed for them.
Old 9th September 2011, 16:10   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Look at any family traveling on 2-wheelers, dangerously holding on to their lives. Nano should succeed for them.
So you think moving from one unsafe thing to other is fine?
Old 9th September 2011, 16:16   #727
Senior - BHPian

^^^The problem with that theory is that Nano (or M800 - another cheap car) costs much more than 2-wheeler and gives much lesser FE than them. So it is not like bikers can just exchange their bikes for cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan
The rivals must have thought that this is the right point to kill nano with some more fire accidents. Otherwise, three accidents almost parallel at three places like planned bomb blasts.... Getting some smell ?
I think it is only MSIL whose cars (M800, Alto) would be impacted by the Nano's success. But I doubt them or any other reputed company would take the risk of sabotaging the competition's product, given the damage to their image if it were ever to be known that they were behind it.
Old 9th September 2011, 16:20   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
My Nano LX 2010 model is nearing 22,000 kms. No problems. I drive it without any hesitation even now. Out of 2 lakh cars, a few issues are common with all cars. It becomes a big news for nano, that's all. I agree that tata has to take it seriously and correct the issues. But, I have serious doubts in my mind. Last month, nano sales is rock bottom. The rivals must have thought that this is the right point to kill nano with some more fire accidents. Otherwise, three accidents almost parallel at three places like planned bomb blasts.... Getting some smell ?
No one screwed Nano. Nano screwed Nano. Shifting from a two wheeler to Nano is not easy keeping in mind the price and mileage difference.
Old 9th September 2011, 17:03   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^The problem with that theory is that Nano (or M800 - another cheap car) costs much more than 2-wheeler and gives much lesser FE than them. So it is not like bikers can just exchange their bikes for cars.

I think it is only MSIL whose cars (M800, Alto) would be impacted by the Nano's success. But I doubt them or any other reputed company would take the risk of sabotaging the competition's product, given the damage to their image if it were ever to be known that they were behind it.
However reputed a company is, there is a limit for the management control. The top management may be playing a fair game. But, at lower levels, the competition spirit can become unfair sometimes. There were incidents in which reputed companies played unfair games without full knowledge of management. I am not telling that MSIL has done it. But, there is a possibility of some unfair games...

But, it is almost sure that there are design flaws with tata nano. Nano of a BHPian also was about to catch fire which he has narrated earlier. Therefore, it is essential for tata to act immediately on these incidents and give confidence to the owners.

Last edited by KMohanan : 9th September 2011 at 17:06.
Old 9th September 2011, 17:19   #730
BHPian

came across this article Tata updating the Nano’s ECU with a new software to prevent over-cranking of engine: First on ICB! | IndianCarsBikes.in -

What they essentially do is update the ECU such that the starter motor doesn't wear out sooner even if the driver unknowingly recranking the running engine. Now, can anyone explain how this helps in Nano from catching fire?

The article says that Tata Motors has started calling the Nano owners.. If any BHPian gets a call please let me know.

But, why Tata Motors is not declaring a Mass recall for the Nano? Instead, what they do now is call the customer from the back door and do the update and send them back. Is this what we expect from a reputed company like Tata Motors?

Does SIAM or Indian Road Transport Authorities are blind of these matters?
Old 9th September 2011, 17:39   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal

So you think moving from one unsafe thing to other is fine?
I'm saying that Tata should fix the fire problems. A fire-free Nano is far better than 2-wheelers for families.
Old 9th September 2011, 19:00   #732
Senior - BHPian

Hope Tata is consulting its JLR team as well, on this issue.

A cross organisational team can get to the crux of the problem and come out with great solutions
Old 10th September 2011, 21:30   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
The rivals must have thought that this is the right point to kill nano with some more fire accidents. Otherwise, three accidents almost parallel at three places like planned bomb blasts.... Getting some smell ?
I also had this doubt in the early days, but not anymore. There seems to be some serious design flaw in the Nano. Also, I seriously doubt any company of repute will stoop to that. After all, two can play the game!

Last edited by Gansan : 10th September 2011 at 21:31.
Old 10th September 2011, 23:01   #734
BHPian

i saw the burnt nano in chennai on the evening of the incident. this was on north usman road just before the turn leading to bazullah road...right next to the petrol pump
Old 10th September 2011, 23:17   #735
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa,i just saw the video on youtube and thats scary.I wonder how did the fire engulf the Nano so quickly?Looks like it just gulped it.Cheap non fire retardent materials?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks