Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 217 37.22%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.15%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 173 29.67%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 128 21.96%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 23:35   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
In Pune the situation is changing fast. Till December end you were occasionally seeing a Polo without front badge. Now you occasionally see a Polo with a front badge.
I'm worried about this new trend of flicking car badges here in Pune. Today during my 15mins drive saw couple of Skoda's without front badges. After seeing 2 Fabia's back to back with front badge missing, I decided to click every car that I see with badge(s) missing.

I could still capture 3 cars with badges missing. One of them was yet to be registered Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-image007.jpg  

Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-image008.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 16th February 2011, 17:21   #422
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
No Car owner worth his salt would want to drive his prized possesions without any logos.
I would. In fact, if a car is tastefully debadged, it will actually look better than one with manufacturer logos. My Jeep has been stripped of all its badges and the Civic is next.

NOTE : This is out of choice. Somehow, I've been lucky enough to not have any of my car monograms flicked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Would agree or rather understand if it were logos of real rare or high value ones like a Merc,Bentley but now that the Marutis, Hyundais, Ford, are so common no valid reason except some wisecrack wanting quick and easy money.
Believe it or not, the other day, I caught a Sonalika Rhino without its logos . Now, who on earth would steal Sonalika badges? More importantly, where would he ever find a customer for them?
Old 16th February 2011, 20:08   #423
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My Jeep has been stripped of all its badges and the Civic is next.
GTO, when the Honda badge is removed from the trunk lid of the Civic, two gaping holes are exposed. Can you suggest how to work over these two holes. I think a sticker is the only option.

Quote:
Believe it or not, the other day, I caught a Sonalika Rhino without its logos . Now, who on earth would steal Sonalika badges? More importantly, where would he ever find a customer for them?
To add, yesterday spotted a poor old Opel Astra without a badge. At least Rhino is available as a new vehicle. How many Opel owners would bother spending money on badges.
Old 17th February 2011, 10:53   #424
BHPian

On my route to office, I drive past a bunglow and outside there is a Cielo parked which I see regularly and is parked there for months together. The car is close to disintegration. Today I saw its monogram flicked .

Who on earth would buy cielo logos?

Apart from the resale market racket, there are young boys who steal it just as a hobby, I think these people are the ones who are also a menace.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:16   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would. In fact, if a car is tastefully debadged, it will actually look better than one with manufacturer logos. My Jeep has been stripped of all its badges and the Civic is next.
Ask any new owner and the response one would get would be a big NO. Driving without a logo would be Ok for someone who already has owned the vehicle for maybe couple of years.

I am wondering how would any car without a logo look better if the logo is missing esp the white coloured car with a black patch where the logo existed would look totally yuck
Old 17th February 2011, 14:11   #426
BHPian

There should some initiative from the car manufacturers to making the car logo theft proof. The logo should be designed in a way that it is attached from under the bonnet instead of being applied on top which allows for easy removal.

Also got me thinking about how do we make the logo/monogram theft-proof. couple of ideas

1. Remove the logo fabricate bolts behind the logo and refasten the logo using "Araldite and then completely securing them with the bolts.

2. In addition to step 1, introduce a layer of rubber between the body and logo and electrify the logo using the battery to give a "tazer" effect to anyone who tries to remove the logo. This will also alert other people nearby to the act.

On a side note I couldnt help wondering if they are really being stolen or the owners are removing them in advance as a precautionary measure.
Like in the case of the yet to be registered Laura, it might be a precautionary measure
I think if i go for a fabia or a polo, i would promptly remove the logo and keep it in my safe rather than going thru the anguish of seeing it stolen.
The pain of seeing the car without the logo would be bearable knowing the fact that the logo is safe .
Old 17th February 2011, 17:26   #427
BHPian

Hmmm....My Ford Fusion lost the logo on the back a few days ago. I thought it must have fallen off or something. Didn't consider that people go around stealing these things!
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:31   #428
Senior - BHPian

The more I read the posts in this thread, the more I see around, and the more I think - I can draw only one few conclusions:

1. The mass flicking of logos is a comparatively new phenomena.
2. Urchins and thugs, and chor bazaar for autos etc may have been doing this for long. But I don't see a corresponding INCREASE in use of these stolen logos anywhere - say on rickshaws, autos, buses, vans etc.
3. That somehow makes me believe - what I posted earlier also - logo stealing has become a craze in our schools. Yes the "english education" ones. And probably logos are being prized and collected as trophies or probably as currency for various transactions in our schools.

This is another reason why no on can ever track and catch the logos stolen, since they are sucked into a different world.

Last edited by alpha1 : 22nd February 2011 at 10:33.
Old 27th February 2011, 14:28   #429
BHPian

Today's TOI, Pune edition has a news article, that two 8th standard schoolboys were picked up by the cops for stealing car logos. It seems to be a big time activity for other school children as well. Not reported in this article, but besides done as a hobby this is a great source of pocket money for the kids. It's nevertheless a sad experience for a car owner to see his car logo missing & sometimes also see damage to his/her car in the process.
Old 27th February 2011, 16:46   #430
BHPian

Quote:

Believe it or not more and more people seem to go the "debadging" way. The way the thefts of logos is increasing debadging seems to be a growing trend. In fact some of my friends removed Logos from their cars. The logic behind this was to prevent theft and give the vehicle a better look.
Old 27th February 2011, 16:55   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen.to.know View Post
Today's TOI, Pune edition has a news article, that two 8th standard schoolboys were picked up by the cops for stealing car logos. It seems to be a big time activity for other school children as well. Not reported in this article, but besides done as a hobby this is a great source of pocket money for the kids. It's nevertheless a sad experience for a car owner to see his car logo missing & sometimes also see damage to his/her car in the process.
Yeah and what happens in most of these cases? The boys' parents plead "Sir, hum achche ghar ke log hai. Bache ka future kharaab ho jaayega" and we feel sympathy and forgive them and the story continues! Couple of these kids should be tossed in chokey for a month and made an example of. That'll show 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post

Believe it or not more and more people seem to go the "debadging" way. The way the thefts of logos is increasing debadging seems to be a growing trend. In fact some of my friends removed Logos from their cars. The logic behind this was to prevent theft and give the vehicle a better look.
Debadging a VW or Skoda doesn't work since it leaves a gaping hole where the logo had been- makes it quite obvious that there's something missing Check for yourself:

Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-dsc01202_2160x1620.jpg

Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-dsc01209_2160x1620.jpg

Even so, I am going with this look for now since it is pointless baiting those idiots by putting new logos on. Every time they try to pry it off they leave marks on my boot and front grille, which hurts more than the logo loss itself!

Last edited by noopster : 27th February 2011 at 16:59.
Old 27th February 2011, 17:16   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Debadging a VW or Skoda doesn't work since it leaves a gaping hole where the logo had been- makes it quite obvious that there's something missing
Agreed, but still some finishing touches could help. Civics don't have such holes at the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Even so, I am going with this look for now since it is pointless baiting those idiots by putting new logos on. Every time they try to pry it off they leave marks on my boot and front grille, which hurts more than the logo loss itself!
That is exactly what i am trying to say! The idea is not to replace the badge as they get stolen. The idea is to get the best look possible without them. The looks with the logos on cannot be replaced but the next best alternate should be considered. Also we don't have much choice, till this menace goes on we would have to learn to live without logos. Hope you agree with me on this.

Last edited by Zappex : 27th February 2011 at 17:20.
Old 27th February 2011, 17:58   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen.to.know View Post
Hello sir ji you have also lost logo for your BMW as you had mentioned earlier, I had written about sticking them with Araldite (only logo legs),by now you must have done I hope so.
Old 28th February 2011, 18:30   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I saw a BMW 7 series (one that I see quite regularly) with its logo missing at the back. I will check the front logo when I see it the next time.
The front logo too is missing. Looks so sad.
Old 4th March 2011, 07:39   #435
Team-BHP Support

Your Skoda, VW, Fiat, Honda logo missing? These kids could have stolen them.

80 logos recovered.

Kids need to be beaten. Wonder what actions parents would take?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks