Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would do/would you do if your car fell prey?
Get new parts from an authorized source,everytime. 218 37.20%
Hit the grey market/chor bazaar, everytime. 65 11.09%
Use an authorized source the first time, got fed up the second time and gave in to an unoffical source. 174 29.69%
I dont care, just let the parts remain off. 129 22.01%
Voters: 586. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 23:20   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

You should seriously consider debadging your ride. It looks awesome too. Related thread link.

Thanks for the linky GTO. Sure sounds like a good option to do. At least this would keep the thieves away.
Old 8th February 2011, 10:37   #392
Senior - BHPian

Ok now, I don't know if this has been posted in this thread (27 pages!) - but I happened to chance upon one more aspect of logo stealing!

If you think that professional thieves and vandals are behind it - you'll be surprised to know that logo stealing is one of the latest craze in the schools!!!

One kid was caught in our colony trying his hands prying the logo of a car, when one chap got hold of him.
This kid told that his friends had a some sort of competition where each would boast and display how many logos they had stolen over a period of time.
Old 8th February 2011, 11:48   #393
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pics of Red Polo I was talking about. Both logos missing!!
Attached Thumbnails
Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-image000.jpg  

Car logo theft / monograms stolen in India-image001.jpg  

Old 8th February 2011, 13:27   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Here are the pics of Red Polo I was talking about. Both logos missing!!
It really pains to see a relatively new VW Polo in that state.

How will the owner open the boot?
Old 8th February 2011, 13:34   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Ok now, I don't know if this has been posted in this thread (27 pages!) - but I happened to chance upon one more aspect of logo stealing!

If you think that professional thieves and vandals are behind it - you'll be surprised to know that logo stealing is one of the latest craze in the schools!!!

One kid was caught in our colony trying his hands prying the logo of a car, when one chap got hold of him.
This kid told that his friends had a some sort of competition where each would boast and display how many logos they had stolen over a period of time.

That is something even I've heard Alpha.
When we were kids the only thing we used to collect was, WWE cards or stupid toys that came in Oven fresh bread packs, and that was a craze i tell you.

Its a pain to see cars like the Polo in the above pic. Why oh God why?
Old 8th February 2011, 14:13   #396
Senior - BHPian

That's really sad. It has become a national epidemic now. The fact that people are stealing logos just for kicks is scary. I think the kid should have been handed over to the police, so that he can be made an example of.
Old 9th February 2011, 10:31   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Same is the case in our locality here. Almost all the cars around here have been victims. This whole racket was finally traced to a bunch of school kids for whom this was a collection.
There were Merc and BMW logos with them!!!
Old 9th February 2011, 10:37   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Same is the case in our locality here. Almost all the cars around here have been victims. This whole racket was finally traced to a bunch of school kids for whom this was a collection.
There were Merc and BMW logos with them!!!
The fact that this a craze amongst the kids is very true.

I know of two news that appeared in Pune Mirror. Two kids were caught on Tilak Road, pune trying to steal the logos. These kids were from a reputed english medium school on Tilak Road and from well off families. Second instance was that of kids caught from Deccan area, again from well off families. Apparently these kids were selling the logos in exchange for some CDs.
Old 9th February 2011, 11:52   #399
BHPian

This looks simply turning away the genuine query of a customer. What VW could have done best is remove the profit component in the cost of logo to the customer.
I am sure (VW + Dealer) profit ( thereof taxes ) would leave the logo less than half as cost.They should desist from earning money out of such parts.

How much should a plastic part weighing 100grams or so with surface finish work should really cost? , Rs200 max?
Old 9th February 2011, 18:14   #400
Senior - BHPian

VW cars seem to be the biggest target of these logo thieves. Nowadays I am seeing more polos without their badges than with badges. I guess the huge VW badges are not only easy to remove but also seem to be in demand. I also saw many auto rickshaws with shiny new VW badges.
Old 9th February 2011, 18:41   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
VW cars seem to be the biggest target of these logo thieves. Nowadays I am seeing more polos without their badges than with badges. I guess the huge VW badges are not only easy to remove but also seem to be in demand. I also saw many auto rickshaws with shiny new VW badges.
You cant blame them. Blame VW for 'Das Auto'

All the Polos and Ventos I have seen in B'lore thankfully still have their badges.
Old 9th February 2011, 19:35   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the car manufacturers should again resort to the age old proven method of manufacturing the logo in solid metal with at least four or many more (depending on the logo dimension) appended bolts on the logo fitting four or more holes as desired on the car's body. The screws/nuts can be tightened from the other side to adhere to the car's body. This system is followed by the older cars. The vandals must sure have a tougher time stealing these nut-bolt affixed kind of logos. The normal plastic or light metal ones with stickers make these vandals have the whale of a time stealing logos.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th February 2011 at 19:40.
Old 10th February 2011, 07:39   #403
Senior - BHPian

The car logo theft is not an old issue but has spruced up recently a couple of years back. What changed a few years back that was not there in the earlier years. Its the advnet of brands - a lot of choices to common man. When there is a supply of such cars there is bound to be a demand for the car logos too since Indians are more sentimental when it comes to their cars. They would not live with a small scratch on their cars leave apart the logos.

So there is a thriving market which is a result of the demand for the logos. Add to that the expensive cost of the logos from the manufacturer, people are bound to look for cheaper options and what would stop them from sourcing it through the local anti social elements who are ever ready to make a fast buck on anything and voila you have a logo stealing racket. What would stop the Polo owner as shown in the above post to buy the logo from VW at an exorbitant price and not from the local source.

In no way am I supporting the logo stealers, they in fact should be forced to drive a car with no logos at all and get all those unrequired stares.

Last edited by ghodlur : 10th February 2011 at 07:41.
Old 10th February 2011, 17:32   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Tell me about it. I joined the elite club this morning. Rear VW badge gone. My cleaner swears it was on when he washed the car at 7ish so that means it was pulled off in broad daylight in full view of some of the flats

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
It's very difficult to keep a VW logo safe. But I just make sure I never leave the car on a street. Park it in the nearest mall. Parking charges wouldn't hurt as much as a new logo does! In Mumbai, there are malls at every corner so it's never hard to find a parking spot. Also, don't park your car in those BMC/Govt parking areas. Even there the car is prone to danger.
Take all the precautions you want mate. If it makes you feel better, go ahead. But this malaise has spread far too wide. My car was in my private covered parking with a security guard not 30 feet away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
There are now two kinds of Volkswagons in Pune - One who's logo is waiting to be picked and other who's logo is already gone.

If VW starts offering logos 100 Rs a piece (That's actual price) nobody will even touch it. That's the real solution to this menace.
*and*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
When I wrote to VW about it I got the following reply -

Making logos impossible to remove by incorporating them in the metal work will result in even more aggressive efforts from their side to remove the logo. This will result in greater damage to the surrounding metal work.

The other alternative is to make the logos cheaper to replace. That would lead to compromise in the quality of the logos which would neither be acceptable to you as a proud owner or us as a proud manufacturer.
Both are fair points. VW just quoted me 1700/- for replacing the rear badge. They sympathised when I said no thanks I will leave it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
My driver Akbar was able to find a store in Opera house that sold imported genuine logos, only for VW, Skoda and Audi. He had no other badges in stock.
He said it was genuine and imported and staked his reputation on it. It looked great to me and I'm good at pointing out fakes.
Rs. 850.
Hmmm...well I guess we can give him the benefit of the doubt but it may well be your own logo you stuck back on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Dude, it looks awful, seriously. It's spoiling the looks of your Civic. Stick some subtle sticker of a Honda logo instead.
That actually didn't look too bad- you obviously haven't seen what the gaping holes look like! The VW one being round looks even more atrocious. My "Accent" badge fell off (am pretty sure nobody would steal it!) about 5 years ago and I never bothered replacing it (even when selling) because it looked pretty cool debadged. But that was a stick-on.

Suggestions how to creatively plug the gap?

Last edited by noopster : 10th February 2011 at 17:39.
Old 10th February 2011, 17:46   #405
BHPian

My swift's front suzuki logo was flicked by some kids around the block 3 days back, i bought new one for Rs 121/- have fixed it. if i loose it again, i'm planning to replace the stock grill with mesh grill.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks