Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2010, 20:12   #1
BANNED

2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5

Mod Note : Team-BHP's Official Hyundai Elantra review has been released at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks

hey guys, does anyone have an idea of the launch date of the all new hyundai elantra. I am very eager to know its expected launch date and india specs. I want to buy a sedan in few months time and have a budget of 12 - 14 lacs. I know the current lineup but want to wait for other options in this price range in the near future.

EDIT on 16th November : Thanks a ton to Roshan Salian for sending in these photos of the 2012 Hyundai Elantra, spotted at the Taj Mahal in Delhi :

2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5-326072_10150537414114535_655814534_11686927_877106572_o.jpg

2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5-336866_10150537416744535_655814534_11686937_694827825_o.jpg

For reference

2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5-2012hyundaielantra.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 30th July 2012 at 12:44. Reason: Adding our scoop images to the first thread itself
Old 14th July 2010, 20:53   #2
BHPian

Bumped into this Hyndai elantra video today. Looks excting.

Old 14th July 2010, 23:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

1) The last I read is that Hyundai is having tough time to match the pricing of Elantra with current Altis and Civic. This was at a time when Altis and Civic were available with Rs. 10-12 lakh. Right now the price is really getting high for both the car, so Hyundai might consider bringing in the Elantra.

2) In anohter post I did mention about new Accent coming up with price tag of Rs. 10-12 lakh to compete in the Altis/Civic segment. I am not sure on this but looks like a possible case. Hyundai has carefully placed Verna above Accent. May be for new Accent they will place it higher.

Overall, very less chance of Elantra coming to India.
Old 14th July 2010, 23:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Accent coming up with price tag of Rs. 10-12 lakh to compete in the Altis/Civic segment
Really? I can't believe this!!!

Hyundai always has been positioning Accent as lower level model than Elantra in the international market. Are they willing to change that game in India for the competition? I doubt on that.

May be they launch a new segment altogether, but I doubt if it will be Accent to position in the 10-12 Lakhs range.
Old 15th July 2010, 00:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Really? I can't believe this!!!

Hyundai always has been positioning Accent as lower level model than Elantra in the international market. Are they willing to change that game in India for the competition? I doubt on that.

May be they launch a new segment altogether, but I doubt if it will be Accent to position in the 10-12 Lakhs range.
Correct. Have a look here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...erna-soon.html

I had earlier posted the entire article from the link mentioned. Now the same article read Rs. 8-9 lakh.

Coming up with Elantra is certainly not a good idea for Hyundai India. They have never met with success in above Rs. 10 lakh segment. IMO, its better for Hyundai to concentrate on small cars and sedans in C segment. The products might be good, but the image problem crops up. Look at Honda, they came in with higher cars and then brought in the lower models. Even at absurd pricing, the Jazz sells around 300-400 units. The city is now consistently doing around 3.5K units. Hyundai came out with Santro, so now they are finding it tough to get out of the budget car image.

That said, the new Sonata might do the trick for Hyundai. May be Hyundai can bring in the new Sonata first, then Elantra.
Old 15th July 2010, 00:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look at Honda, they came in with higher cars and then brought in the lower models
Well that reason is entirely different; same is the case with Ford, GM, Skoda & soon to follow Toyota.

From the link you provided, if I understood right, you're saying it will not be new Elantra, but new Verna right?
Old 15th July 2010, 08:50   #7
BHPian

Looks good but unless it is priced below altis and civic for the petrol models and on par with cruze for the diesel powerplant, matching features well for the money along with a killer 4 year warranty i see even this one meeting the doomed fate of it predecessor.
Old 15th July 2010, 08:54   #8
BHPian

The Elantra's sales prospect is very doubtful owing to the huge amount of competition in the segment.Also it will never be able to perform well if priced against Civic /Corolla.

IMHO instead of bringing in the Elantra, Hyundai should bring the new Tucson and price it against Civic/Corolla, there by building up their image slowly before the Sonata launch.

Last edited by harishnair : 15th July 2010 at 08:59.
Old 15th July 2010, 10:26   #9
BHPian

Elantra traditionally has been a good car. But the last model did not do well. Personally I find the curves of the last model odd. This new version seems to have similar design elements as the new sonata. This seems a little better than the previous elantra, but still I don't like it that much.

However Hyundai has greatly improved in the last couple of years in build quality and driving dynamics. The new small cars platforms, genessis platform and the new sonata are examples. Considering the recent track record I think car would be good, but would be priced high for its own detriment.
Old 15th July 2010, 11:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
The Elantra's sales prospect is very doubtful owing to the huge amount of competition in the segment.Also it will never be able to perform well if priced against Civic /Corolla.

Look at Cruze it was last month s segment leader. If GM can why not Hyundai??? Though Corolla will be the segment leader again with diesel launch. I seriously think Hyundai has good chance with New Elantra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
In anohter post I did mention about new Accent coming up with price tag of Rs. 10-12 lakh to compete in the Altis/Civic segment. I am not sure on this but looks like a possible case. Hyundai has carefully placed Verna above Accent. May be for new Accent they will place it higher.

Overall, very less chance of Elantra coming to India.
Lets be realistic and not expect a new Accent for 10-12 lacs. Heck with so much competition Hyundai would be better off not breaching 9-10 lacs .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Coming up with Elantra is certainly not a good idea for Hyundai India. They have never met with success in above Rs. 10 lakh segment. IMO, its better for Hyundai to concentrate on small cars and sedans in C segment. The products might be good, but the image problem crops up.
Well with the i series Hyundai has improved a lot and i dont see any reason why they should nt launch the whole i series in India soon.
Old 16th July 2010, 10:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

I want this car in India right now!!!

Old 16th July 2010, 16:27   #12
BHPian

Diesel Elantra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
True, but if they bring it in with a stonker of a diesel engine, the new Elantra could really shake things up.
Especially if priced below 14 lacs, because then it gains an edge on the Cruze as well.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 16th July 2010 at 16:28.
Old 16th July 2010, 17:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
True, but if they bring it in with a stonker of a diesel engine, the new Elantra could really shake things up. Especially if priced below 14 lacs, because then it gains an edge on the Cruze as well.
I agree on the fact that Hyundai makes some of the best diesel engines available. But Hyundai loses on the customer perception of it being a Korean brand and a small car manufacturer. So the best option for Hyundai is to position the Tucson (ix35) in this price range, this is the same strategy they follow in the middle-eastern markets,ie, to offer VFM for the customer and giving him an SUV for Sedan price. None of the manufacturers in the segment have a vehicle to compete with the Tucson and this will really help Hyundai.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

first official pic of the interior
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Hyundai Elantra / Avante. EDIT: Spotted in India, Pics on Pg.3&5-2011hyundaielantra1.jpg  

Old 20th July 2010, 11:47   #15
BHPian

The Elantra looks like a winner and would have a powerful diesel engine.The pricing would be an issue and also the gearbox but i hope they give us an automatic transmission with the diesel and cheaper than cruze which would be great news.The civic and corolola need to be taught to be priced better and their companies should be more aggressive in the indian market.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks