Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2018, 12:17   #12646
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Guys, looking for a facelift Civic in Bangalore (with sunroof). I have been getting vehicles asking in excess of 7 lakhs! Am I missing any obvious source or are the used vehicle prices in Bangalore at 40% premium to Mumbai / Pune?
Old 20th March 2018, 12:41   #12647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
I want to purchase a used car below 2lakh for my grand-father. It was be used sparingly and only for city runs. Can extend the budget a bit if a great deal is found.

He would prefer a hatchback, but won't mind a sedan also. Which cars should I be looking for?
And which medium should I prefer? Olx, TrueValue or sites like CarDekho/Wale/Trade?

Thanks.
Since I was in the same place a few months back and I actually spent over Six months (because I was not in a hurry actually) to finally buy Honda City - 3rd Generation, I guess I can provide an insight here. I was looking for a car for my family and that includes my parents both of whom are Senior Citizens. From my experience, the best used cars in the given budget are - Maruti Ritz (2011-2014), Hyundai i10 and i20 (pre-2012 facelift), Santro Xing(2011-2014). All of these will be low cost purchase, low cost maintenance and quick resale later in a few years, and more so in Delhi. If the budget can be extended to 3L, you can get some very good examples of Honda City, Dzire Petrol (post 2012 facelift) and i20 (post 2012 facelift). All these cars are proven in reliability and are easy to get fixed. You might even get a used Vento as well but it has a very low seating and is also expensive to repair/maintain.

About the platform, I was dependent on OLX only as it has maximum number of options and I had the time to come across the right deal. But OLX is filled with too many dealers and too many lemons. CarTrade does car certification and hence you could look for a CarTrade certified cars as I found those to be good. But that might lead to an increase in price of the car by about 5-10% compared to others. However, I did come across some very good CarTrade certified cars when I was looking for one and the budget was the only reason I did not close those deals.

Last edited by sunilch : 20th March 2018 at 13:00. Reason: Corrected a typing mistake.
Old 20th March 2018, 17:57   #12648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
Oh My God! it is a small world indeed. Yes the fortuner in Question is with a dealer at Rajender Nagar. The dealer told me the service record will be available once I have a token money in place. Thank you for the heads up, I'll steer clear of this.

But the big question that remains, is.... what is the right price for a fortuner? No one can seem to predict that correctly despite being the largest seller in the segment.

I still cannot understand that how, despite being the single largest seller in its segment by a mile and the volume it brings, how is it that there exists NOT EVEN A SINGLE source which can predict the per-owned prices. It seems hilarious that slower moving models like the Octavia seem to have better price prediction and an established value in the used car segment than a segment leader like the Fortuner.
Old 20th March 2018, 20:56   #12649
BHPian

Quote:
Since the car is required soon and there is not a lot of time for checking out various cars, and we are willing to pay a little extra for that extra satisfaction, will TrueValue be the best choice, or will CarDekho/Wale/Trade also be legit option? Are OLX cars reliable?
I have in the last 2 years bought 2 cars & sold 1 car through OLX. I would say on OLX, finding a genuine seller is a bit difficult though not impossible. True Value seems to be the safest option as they provide one year warranty on the certified cars but I believe their prices would be on the higher side. I would advice you not to rush while buying a used car, take your time & find a good car.
Old 21st March 2018, 03:09   #12650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
If the budget can be extended to 3L, you can get some very good examples of Honda City, Dzire Petrol (post 2012 facelift) and i20 (post 2012 facelift). All these cars are proven in reliability and are easy to get fixed. You might even get a used Vento as well but it has a very low seating and is also expensive to repair/maintain.

About the platform, I was dependent on OLX only as it has maximum number of options and I had the time to come across the right deal. But OLX is filled with too many dealers and too many lemons. CarTrade does car certification and hence you could look for a CarTrade certified cars as I found those to be good. But that might lead to an increase in price of the car by about 5-10% compared to others. However, I did come across some very good CarTrade certified cars when I was looking for one and the budget was the only reason I did not close those deals.
I'm not able to find decent Honda City or Dzire in that range. I think I should instead go for a decent hatchback since that serves the purpose well.

Since the budget is small, I don't mind spending a little extra (10% will just be 20-25k) for reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
I have in the last 2 years bought 2 cars & sold 1 car through OLX. I would say on OLX, finding a genuine seller is a bit difficult though not impossible. True Value seems to be the safest option as they provide one year warranty on the certified cars but I believe their prices would be on the higher side. I would advice you not to rush while buying a used car, take your time & find a good car.
Thanks! I went through OLX and did find some good cars there but most sounded like dealers in disguise. I'll be doing a better check.

Also, why has no one recommended Brio? I was confused between Ritz and Brio and asked my grandfather, he really liked the Brio, plus the Honda reliability. The pricing is also in range of Ritz. Anything in particular that I need to keep in mind while considering Brio? Why is it not a popular choice?
(I understand it's a small car, but ours will be used with 1-2 occupancy and barely any luggage).
Old 21st March 2018, 03:27   #12651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks! I went through OLX and did find some good cars there but most sounded like dealers in disguise. I'll be doing a better check.

Also, why has no one recommended Brio? I was confused between Ritz and Brio and asked my grandfather, he really liked the Brio, plus the Honda reliability. The pricing is also in range of Ritz. Anything in particular that I need to keep in mind while considering Brio? Why is it not a popular choice?
(I understand it's a small car, but ours will be used with 1-2 occupancy and barely any luggage).
You're correct. Most cars on Olx are posted by dealers, but you do find some genuine individuals on it as well. Just have to sift through a lot of garbage to get to them.

Brio is an excellent choice. Very drivable in the city, reasonably well appointed interiors, great for the young learner and the elderly since its small, easy to drive and park, great visibility, and very easy to maintain. All she needs is timely servicing and her Honda engine will give you no reason to complain. Please do look out for a good Brio. It will really be a boon for city driving.
Old 21st March 2018, 17:13   #12652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
What is the ideal price for a 4 yrs used Terrano XV D premium. OBV quotes a much higher price but I am guessing this will be a second/third owner car and also it seems Jul 2013 reg instead of 2014 as mentioned in the listing

Any potential issues to look out for?
Sorry for the bump but any advice would be very helpful, thanks.
Old 21st March 2018, 19:00   #12653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Sorry for the bump but any advice would be very helpful, thanks.
At first sight, the quoted price seems to be too good to be true. Please do check for thorough service history or instead get an expert opinion after getting the car mechanically evaluated.

Prices in the south are more in the range of 5.5L-7L. So, considering that it doesn't have a track on the number of owners, and most likely a tampered odo anything in the range of 5L is still an excellent price.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 01:20   #12654
BHPian

What would be a good price for a Pajero Sport 2013 in Mumbai. Done about a lac Kms. Also any particular things to check for to avoid unpleasant surprises later.
Old 24th March 2018, 01:49   #12655
BHPian

A friend is being offered a 2013 Toyota Fortuner.
It is a manual transmission vehicle that was always serviced at the service center.
It has done more than 200K kms.
Price asked is Rs 12 Lakhs.
The owner is known to my friend.
The vehicle is in good condition.
The only thing that is bothering my friend is the kms done.
Is 12L a fair price for a 200K kms Fortuner that is 5 years old.
I understand that once bought, there are going to be lot of parts that may need attention.
Gurus please advise.

My advise to him was to avoid this vehicle or buy it if it was offered under 10L.
I believe it would be a steal at 8~9 Lakhs.
Old 24th March 2018, 12:20   #12656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
A friend is being offered a 2013 Toyota Fortuner.
It is a manual transmission vehicle that was always serviced at the service center.
It has done more than 200K kms.
Price asked is Rs 12 Lakhs.
The owner is known to my friend.
The vehicle is in good condition.
The only thing that is bothering my friend is the kms done.
Is 12L a fair price for a 200K kms Fortuner that is 5 years old.
I understand that once bought, there are going to be lot of parts that may need attention.
Gurus please advise.

My advise to him was to avoid this vehicle or buy it if it was offered under 10L.
I believe it would be a steal at 8~9 Lakhs.
The price seems fair for the car vintage, but 2 lakhs is very high even for a Fortuner! (thats 110 kms per day without a holiday) Use the mileage to reduce the price to 10. 10.5 will be win win if the car is in excellent condition.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 12:31   #12657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
The price seems fair for the car vintage, but 2 lakhs is very high even for a Fortuner! (thats 110 kms per day without a holiday) Use the mileage to reduce the price to 10. 10.5 will be win win if the car is in excellent condition.
An update. The vehicle is Jan 2012 make not 2013 model as written in the original post.
The owner is willing to come down to 10 ~ 10.5L.
Only issue stopping my friend is the unexpected expenses.
I advised him to take the vehicle to the Toyota service centre and get her service history checked.
He can then get an estimate for expected future expenses based on feedback of the service Center.

Cheaper to shell out some money now on due diligence rather than wonder later.

The mileage is high since the owner is a busy professional and this was his primary vehicle.

Last edited by Ithaca : 24th March 2018 at 12:32.
Old 24th March 2018, 12:50   #12658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhatshah View Post
What would be a good price for a Pajero Sport 2013 in Mumbai. Done about a lac Kms. Also any particular things to check for to avoid unpleasant surprises later.
11 lakhs would be a fair price for a 2013 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport.
Old 24th March 2018, 13:10   #12659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
An update. The vehicle is Jan 2012 make not 2013 model as written in the original post.
The owner is willing to come down to 10 ~ 10.5L.
Only issue stopping my friend is the unexpected expenses.
I advised him to take the vehicle to the Toyota service centre and get her service history checked.

The mileage is high since the owner is a busy professional and this was his primary vehicle.
Get the quote and divide the immediately required expenses with the buyer. And reduce the same from the final deal price.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 16:58   #12660
BHPian

Guys I have been trying to sell my Tata Safari LX Dicor for few weeks now and I must admit it is really becoming difficult to sell it. I have received responses but none are offering price close to 3.5L. All are offering in the range of 2.5L to 3L which I feel is low considering my car has run only 66000 kms. I don't think I will get 3.5L for my Safari. I might try to close a deal in between 3.2L to 3.3L. Hope I find a buyer soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks