Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2015, 00:07   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended for allegedly punching a producer. EDIT- Now released from B

End of an era really. I don't think Richard and James will stay back at the Beeb now.

And some private channels will be licking their lips.
Old 26th March 2015, 06:38   #92
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended for allegedly punching a producer. EDIT- Now released from B

While this behavior is certainly uncalled for, looks like Jeremy tried to make amends, including reporting the incident himself, as per the report.

Quote:
Over the subsequent days, Jeremy Clarkson made a number of attempts to apologise to Oisin Tymon by way of text, email and in person;
and it is the case that Jeremy Clarkson reported the incident to BBC management
Old 26th March 2015, 08:20   #93
Senior - BHPian

James May reacts to Jeremy's firing order. Looks like May and Hammond might not continue with Top Gear

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...remy-clarkson/
Old 26th March 2015, 08:52   #94
Team-BHP Support

Anybody remember Craig Kilborn? He was the original host of The Daily Show at Comedy Central. After 3 year run, the TV Guide called it the Best Late Night Comedy. When he moved away from the show, many people thought he can't be replaced and the Daily Show is doomed.

He was replaced by Jon Stewart!!!! Rest is history.

Last month Jon Stewart retired from the Daily Show on his own accord. Millions of his fans all around the world can't think of him being replaced too. But you never know what happens next.

Somebody may takeover Top Gear and make us forget JC and his gang. You never know, so don't make resolutions like you will never watch it again. All we know is it won't be the same, but it may get better. Jon Stewart proved that once.
Samurai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 09:02   #95
BHPian

Whelp, it sucks that Top Gear is done. By the look of things, Hamster and Slow won't be staying on with the BBC.

Physical violence, verbal abuse is a very big offence. Always has been, & always will be. Not just in the UK, but everywhere.

And, I don't think BBC could not just ignore the grave situation and pardon Jezza. Wouldn't be politically correct.

Not just that, in case you didn't know, the police are now looking into the matter as well. Jezza could just be facing serious time!

Sacked Clarkson Could Face Police Probe
Source: Sky News

Jeremy Faces Police Probe
Source: Telegraph UK

All said and done, it sucks that Top Gear had to come to an end on such a sour note

I'm really gonna miss Jezza, Hamster and Cap'n Slow going on their epic drives and taking on Ambitious but Rubbish challenges .

If it wasn't for the trio, my wife, who is a complete non-petrolhead btw, wouldn't have bothered to ask me if I had the latest Top Gear episode, on a Monday evening!

Just in case you miss Jezza and his goofy antics, here's an Ambitious But Rubbish video of him attempting to make a V8 powered food blender!

Gonna miss you Jezza. and thanks for all the fun!

Last edited by sourav9385 : 26th March 2015 at 09:04.
Old 26th March 2015, 09:11   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Anybody remember Craig Kilborn? He was the original host of The ------snip------t proved that once.
So the format was successful, not the host. But haven't they tried, here, to work the format, and seen it fail(in comparison)?
Anyway, I'm sure there are people who watch it for different reasons, some for the production and format, and some for the chemistry and banter. The show is bound to lose the latter set,and that would count, I think, for a big chunk of its 350mn number.
Meantime, his solo dvds and articles are enough for JC junkies.
I, for one, wouldn't stand for, let's say, Evans coming up and saying " some say... ", or "how hard can it be? ". Much like if Ryan Gosling went guttural and said, " I'll be back! ".

Anyhoo, just opinions, no argument here. It's just a shame.
Old 26th March 2015, 09:30   #97
BHPian

As much as I enjoyed JC and sad to see him go out this manner, I think he crossed the line here. Physical assault in no way is acceptable and am glad BBC took a stand though they are looking at a huge loss if the show doesn't continue.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 09:39   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
So the format was successful, not the host.
No, I mean the combination. The format + host makes it a success, but the host usually takes all the credit and adulation. Think about it, how often a hugely successful host left a hugely successful show and remained relevant after that?
Old 26th March 2015, 11:27   #99
Senior - BHPian

Its sad to hear that JC will no longer be in Top Gear. He has been one of the main reasons for me to watch every episode. Its also true that his behavior cannot be tolerated and the BBC have done the right thing considering the number of issues they have had with JC.

If the trio are to leave all together, they could very easily start their own show and get some bigwig television producer to back them up. So for now its goodbye Top Gear.
Old 26th March 2015, 11:59   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No, I mean the combination. The format + host makes it a success, but the host usually takes all the credit and adulation. Think about it, how often a hugely successful host left a hugely successful show and remained relevant after that?
Top gear is different. If Jeremy was the only guy presenting this, you would be right. But you have a team of three. From the reports, they will stick together. This means, you have to find three replacements who can do the job. Finding one rockstar is okay. But finding three rockstars is different.

Remember the sitcom Friends. It was not just individual actors, but the chemistry between them which made it popular. Can the new Top Gear get three guys with similar Chemistry? That is the question.

That said JC has fuelled many controversies, but till now everything was verbal. In the west, you can get away with almost anything (freedom of speech), but physical assault is not tolerated. That is crossing the line.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th March 2015 at 12:38.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 12:23   #101
BHPian

Agree with Tanveer. As much as I would have liked BBC to continue having JC on the show, I do think he crossed a line here. The show won't be the same without him, though and that's a shame. A lot of chatter on twitter are people saying why can't JC just start a new show but I don't think that'd be possible without the BBC's support. I'm sure Topgear was an extremely expensive show to produce. RIP Topgear is all I'd say.
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 13:06   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I'm sorry, for what?
Agreed on him being fired, and I do believe thats not the end of things, its just a way out that he looks now to have been fighting for (just a conspiracy theory, I agree). Him, and the team, they'll be on ITV or some such quite soon, I am sure.
Meanwhile, BBC will air Top Gear UK, inspired by the mediocrity of US and Ozzy versions.
Though I do believe, in India, he would have been behind bars, or in courts, or dead, because we do not tolerate anything. Humor is the killer of civilizations, we'll have you know!
There are two points here.
1. The offense that he did - it is a case of physical assualt. I don't think any law would tolerate such a thing. Hence, he should be lawfully punished.

2. There are different ways to be funny. Being Racist, insulting a culture, putting someone down are way too cheap. The link that I posted earlier clearly point towards that.

When you are a public figure, when the whole world is watching you, it is important to be politically correct. Else, you will be responsible for portraying a biased image among the lesser intellectuals. A popular television show is too small compared to the above points.
Old 26th March 2015, 13:13   #103

I had at-least hoped that the trio will continue their antics with another production company but sadly it seems its the end of Top Gear going by James May's latest Twitter profile update.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeremy Clarkson suspended for allegedly punching a producer. EDIT- Now released from BBC-capture.jpg  

MikeRX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 14:56   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post

There are two points here.
1. The offense that he did - -----snip ------- points.
I believe it'll be a question of pressing charges. Which is not going to happen.
2, he's never pointed a gun through the telly to anyone's head.

Nothing nowadays is taken with a pinch of salt.
It's always with a kilo of bhoot dholakia.
Old 26th March 2015, 14:57   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Top gear is different. If Jeremy was the only guy presenting this, you would be right. But you have a team of three.
Every show is different. Why three? Next TG team may have 2 or 4. Creativity was not invented by JC, nor will it walk out of the door with JC. Just wait and see, somebody else may reinvent TG show.

I started watching Tonight show in 1993, and knew only about Jay Leno. Few years later somebody mentioned Johnny Carson to me, and I had no idea who that was. It is only then I learned that Johnny Carson hosted the Tonight Show very successfully for 30 years until Jay Leno took it over in 1992. Anybody can be replaced, JC is about to find that out.

When Hum Log ended in the 80s, people were upset, then Buniyaad came and everybody got over Hum log.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks