Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2015, 00:03   #1
BHPian

Jeremy Clarkson suspended for allegedly punching a producer. EDIT- Now released from BBC

Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended by the BBC "following a fracas" with a producer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

The corporation said the 54-year-old presenter had been suspended "pending an investigation".

"No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday," it said.

Clarkson was given what he called his "final warning" last May after claims he used a racist word while filming the popular BBC motoring show.

At the time, he said the BBC had told him he would be sacked if he made "one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time".

The BBC gave no further details on the current incident involving Clarkson, and said it would not be making any further statements at this time.
rubicon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 00:19   #2
BHPian

Re: Top Gear UK, Season 22 - Starts on 27th Dec, 2014

It's high time that the BBC realise that the show runs only because of him, and if they sack him, then that's it! They'll lose a massive chunk of their revenue.

If this is the type of work environment they can provide him with, he better leave them for his own good, and start his own show.

Now I agree that he can get a little but offensive etc, but I think it is that touch of humour in it that has made the show what it is today.I can't say about you fellas, but if he is sacked, I'm certainly not watching Top Gear ever again, or any BBC programme for that matter.
Old 11th March 2015, 00:51   #3
BHPian

More details emerge regarding the suspension of Jeremy Clarkson

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-...ches-producer#

Quote:
The three remaining episodes of Top Gear series 22 have been pulled from the schedules after Jeremy Clarkson was accused of punching a producer.
The Top Gear host has been suspended from the BBC after allegedly aiming a punch at a male producer, in an incident last week.
The alleged assault was only reported to the corporation yesterday, and BBC executives took the decision to suspend Clarkson earlier today.
In a statement the corporation said that this Sunday’s edition of the motoring show had been pulled, but Radio Times understands that the further two remaining episodes of the series have also been postponed until the corporation has concluded its investigation into the events.
The penultimate episode of the series was due to air on March 22 and has been replaced by a documentary about the Caribbean featuring Simon Reeve, at 8pm, followed by a Louis Theroux documentary.
The BBC would not confirm the identity of the producer.
A statement from the corporation said: "Following a fracas with a BBC producer, Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended pending an investigation. No one else has been suspended. Top Gear will not be broadcast this Sunday. The BBC will be making no further comment at this time."
However, the term producer is an umbrella term, with credits from last week's show listing the names Liz Campbell, Chenoa Finlayson-Pugh, Polly Holton and Nicholas Krupa in the production team with the producer credit going to Oisin Tymon and the series producer named as Alex Renton.
Sunday's show was set to feature Clarkson and fellow presenters Richard Hammond and James May getting to grips with classic cars including a Fiat 124 Spider, an MGB GT and a Peugeot 304 Cabriolet with ex-footballer and presenter Gary Lineker the “star in a reasonably priced car”.
The news will come as a huge blow to Clarkson who admitted, with some degree of understatement, that he has recently had a "difficult” last few months which culminated in him and the show's team being hounded out of Argentina after protestors took violent exception to the numberplate of the car he was driving.
He was also put on what he claimed was a final warning from the BBC after a racism row when he was allegedly caught on camera mumbling the n-word while reciting the nursery rhyme Eeny, Meeny, Miny Moe during filming of the BBC2 programme.
Other controversies include protests from mental health charities after he branded people who throw themselves under trains as "selfish".
And he was forced to apologise for joking on The One Show that striking workers should be shot.
This has prompted BBC director of television Danny Cohen to launch an investigation into the show which is ongoing and which some commentators believe has diluted some of the content. Speaking to RadioTimes.com earlier this year, co-presenter Richard Hammond promised that the current run would be controversy-free.
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 03:23   #4
BHPian

Re: Jeremy Clarkson in the News again!!

Looks the show has been suspended for this Sunday only(as of now)

Few Top Gear controversies
Source: bbc.com

Quote:
With Clarkson at its head, Top Gear has been no stranger to controversy.

October 2014 - The show's stars and crew had to abandon filming in Argentina amid angry protests over a car number plate that appears to refer to the Falklands War.
July 2014 - Ofcom ruled a Burma Special in which Jeremy Clarkson used a racial slur broke broadcasting rules. Clarkson had used the word "slope" as an Asian man crossed a newly built bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand.
May 2014 - The programme drew complaints when video footage leaked to the Daily Mirror appeared to show Jeremy Clarkson using a racist term while reciting the nursery rhyme Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe. The presenter later apologised for the incident - which was never broadcast - in a video statement where he "begged forgiveness".
October 2012 - The BBC Trust ruled comments by Clarkson which likened the design of a camper van to people with facial disfigurements breached disability guidelines.
January 2012 - Indian diplomats complained about a 90-minute India special in which a car fitted with a toilet in its boot is described by Clarkson as "perfect for India because everyone who comes here gets the trots."
February 2011 - The BBC apologised to Mexico after Clarkson and his co-hosts characterised Mexicans as "lazy" and "feckless".
Old 11th March 2015, 09:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well had to happen sooner than later.
He is one ego maniac. As much as I love Top gear, you can't get away with it every time.

Hope some sense prevails at the earliest and the show comes online.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 11:41   #6
BHPian

Everybody needs to be a bit more mature on this subject. But whatever happens, we want "Jennifer" back. There is no fun watching TopGear without any one of them missing from the series. All of them, Jeremy in particular have a long list of habits for being notorious, but all said and done thats the fun part of the whole series. On mutual terms they all should come back together and not hurt the fans.
allien936 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 11:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe what BBC should do is change the format of the show back to it's original, I for one preferred the show earlier rather than now when they are filming in exotic locations driving shitty old cars for the most part. The show has become less about new cars and more about 3 "blokes" on an adventure.

Keeping most part of the shooting in the UK gives mad man Jeremy less chance to have racial slur. Moreover, being closer to the BBC headquarters means they can keep a closer eye on the shoots to ensure nothing out of line is said and if it has it ought to be edited out.

#BringBackTheOriginalTG
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 12:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Maybe what BBC should do is change the format of the show back to it's original, I for one preferred the show earlier rather than now when they are filming in exotic locations driving shitty old cars for the most part. The show has become less about new cars and more about 3 "blokes" on an adventure.

Keeping most part of the shooting in the UK gives mad man Jeremy less chance to have racial slur. Moreover, being closer to the BBC headquarters means they can keep a closer eye on the shoots to ensure nothing out of line is said and if it has it ought to be edited out.

#BringBackTheOriginalTG
I am not sure if everyone would like that, there is a show which does exactly that, its called the 5th gear. How many of us actually watch it?

I personally feel all these controversies are marketing gimmicks, or else it has to be highly coincidental that the timing on all this has always been right.

We got to admit we all love all the controversies he creates in each shows, I am sure very less people will miss James if he is gone and a bit more will miss Richard, but they all know who is the main buggar and the show will loose its character if he is gone. I don't think he is so annoying in real life, its all a perfect screen image BBC has created for him and they don't fail to capitalize on that from time to time.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 13:43   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Thats why you have fifth gear.

In my view top gear should maintain their current format.

Online petition to reinstate clarkson
https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

Last edited by aim120 : 11th March 2015 at 13:51.
Old 11th March 2015, 13:53   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Same news is listed in NDTV website-

Link
Old 11th March 2015, 14:14   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I am not sure if everyone would like that, there is a show which does exactly that, its called the 5th gear. How many of us actually watch it?
Believe it or not, I actually do prefer the format of 5th gear more than TG mainly because it is consistent. I know what to expect when 5th gear comes on TV, they are going to test the hell out of a fancy supercar, a luxury sedan, cheap hatchback for long term review and get experimental at the end with some rally car test or driving through a lake in a truck. I find myself disinterested in the latter part of the 5th gear and often change the channel. Unfortunately TG is all like the latter part of 5th gear and little about actual new car tests now. They need to go back to their roots and stop making this a family show, it is a petrol head show! This is my personal view and preference though, some might prefer the road trip adventures.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 14:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Believe it or not, I actually do prefer the format of 5th gear more than TG mainly because it is consistent. I know what to expect when 5th gear comes on TV, they are going to test the hell out of a fancy supercar, a luxury sedan, cheap hatchback for long term review and get experimental at the end with some rally car test or driving through a lake in a truck. I find myself disinterested in the latter part of the 5th gear and often change the channel. Unfortunately TG is all like the latter part of 5th gear and little about actual new car tests now. They need to go back to their roots and stop making this a family show, it is a petrol head show! This is my personal view and preference though, some might prefer the road trip adventures.

To each his own my friend, wishing to turn top gear into fifth gear is too much too ask .

If you have seen Season 1-4 of TG you would see they were a confused show, James May was a later addition. There was a guy who used to talk about used car price on the show. A petrol head is not a guy who loves to hear little longish reviews about cars, instead we love the infinite possibility one has, to amuse himself using the most brilliant invention THE AUTOMOBILE. I love demolition derbies, I love adventure trips on cars, I love to see how they are made and I love to see how they are serviced. Top gear evolved from what it was when it started. Killing a Toyota Hilux was the most watched episode, that gave them ideas, ideas to destroy things. I love what they throw at us and I am sure others as well. Jeremy is a mad guy and that's what everybody loves about him.

Pramod
Old 11th March 2015, 17:17   #13
BHPian

I am in the UK at present and boy, Jeremy Clarkson is all over the news, this has taken precedent even over the election debates here.
Every channel and most newspapers have the headlines - Jeremy Clarkson Suspended and the works.
Old 11th March 2015, 17:59   #14
BHPian

Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson has been suspended by the BBC after what it called a "fracas" with a producer pending an investigation. The BBC had told him he would be sacked if he made "one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time".
Clarkson, 54, has not commented, but has been joking on social media about films that could replace Sunday's show.

Jeremy Clarkson suspended for allegedly punching a producer. EDIT- Now released from BBC-jeremy-clarkson.jpg
I don't know what he seems to be thinking in this picture. Maybe how to take the case of the producer once again... Hahaha..!!

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31824040
Old 11th March 2015, 18:13   #15
BHPian

Honestly, Clarkson is an essential part of TopGear, and the producers should keep their egos aside and keep Top Gear running. Like Two and a Half Men without Charlie Sheen, Topgear without Clarkson will lose its sheen and fall down on its knees.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks