Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2014, 14:26   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
These days some service stations are doing it to increase the bill and not for any real purpose.
Yes, I do it when I am changing the make of engine oil. Do not think it is really needed.
Old 4th October 2014, 22:39   #257
Senior - BHPian

Pics of the odometer and the car at 1 lakh km

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-imag1158.jpg

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-imag1159.jpg

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_7451.jpg

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_7549.jpg

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_7563.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Where are the pictures of the odometer and the car?
guyfrmblr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 22:10   #258
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on hitting the 1L mark! Your car looks to be in top condition even after a lakh kms. What surprised me was only 1 bill (1L service) was above the 10k mark, all others are pretty much ok and I was under the notion that Hyundai is expensive to maintain!
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 10:42   #259
Senior - BHPian

Faced a peculiar issue with the HU last night. I was playing some tracks from a USB stick and the audio stopped all of a sudden. It looked as though the HU had crashed but toggling between different sources worked fine. I then removed the stick but the HU was still displaying the metadata of the track which had got stuck. Connecting back the USB stick didn't help. Restarting the HU also didn't work. It was just displaying the old metadata whenever USB source was selected. All other sources were working fine.

However the HU detected the USB stick this morning and it played fine for around 30 minutes and the issue reappeared. Has anyone faced such issue before? After observing the experiences of other members here, I don't think the ASC chaps will own and resolve issues related to HU.
Old 12th November 2014, 17:20   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
However the HU detected the USB stick this morning and it played fine for around 30 minutes and the issue reappeared. Has anyone faced such issue before? After observing the experiences of other members here, I don't think the ASC chaps will own and resolve issues related to HU.
Have you tried using a different USB stick? Had a similar issue much earlier in my i20, but it was while using the CD player. Using a particular CD was causing the player to get stuck. The MFD would show data from the CD inspite of ejecting it. Used a different CD and it started working fine.

Appreciate the way you have taken care of your car. It still has the shine & gloss of a brand new car, hard to believe it has clocked 100K Kms.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 12th November 2014 at 17:23.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 18:01   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Have you tried using a different USB stick? Had a similar issue much earlier in my i20, but it was while using the CD player. Using a particular CD was causing the player to get stuck. The MFD would show data from the CD inspite of ejecting it. Used a different CD and it started working fine.
I'll try with a different USB stick tonight. I have been using the same USB stick from past 3.5 years and never faced any issues with it. Also the issue is intermittent. Hence I'm doubting on the HU. I must also mention that the issue started appearing after I tried to fast forward a track by continuously holding the seek button on the steering wheel.

Quote:
Appreciate the way you have taken care of your car. It still has the shine & gloss of a brand new car, hard to believe it has clocked 100K Kms.
Thanks

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 12th November 2014 at 18:03.
Old 18th November 2014, 22:03   #262
Senior - BHPian

I was in a remote place near Mangalore last weekend and all of a sudden the turbo stopped working. There was absolutely no turbo kick at 1800 rpm. Took the car to Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore and the SA over there mentioned that there would be an issue with the neutral switch. He replaced it but there was no difference. He then doubted on heavy carbon deposits on EGR and estimated 2 days for cleaning the same along with fuel lines. I told him that I'll show the car at Advaith, Bangalore since I had to return to Bangalore on the same day. Asked him if there will be any problem driving the car to Bangalore without the turbo for which the answer was positive.

Drove back from Mangalore without turbo. Didn't face difficulties driving on ghats and on expressway. Was able to maintain 100-110 kmph on the expressway. I observed that the gear shift indicator stopped working after this issue surfaced. Took the car to Advaith, ORR this morning and explained the issue to my SA. Since I mentioned that the gear shift indicator had stopped working, he was sure that it wasn't a busted turbo. He informed later in the evening that the issue was due to rats chewing up some wires. He replaced the wires and everything was fine. Will take back the car tomorrow. Looks like rats had gained entry to engine bay while I had parked somewhere at Mangalore. This is the third or fourth time that the rats have meddled with the wiring. Will need to take precautionary actions to avoid rat menace.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 18th November 2014 at 22:06.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 20:29   #263
BHPian

Quote:
I was in a remote place near Mangalore last weekend and all of a sudden the turbo stopped working...Since I mentioned that the gear shift indicator had stopped working, he was sure that it wasn't a busted turbo.
Hi

A busted turbo could be rather expensive but it is good to know that it was not the issue here.

By any chance did you try finding out how much it costs?

By the way kudos to you for managing to keep the vehicle in such good condition.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 21:48   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
A busted turbo could be rather expensive but it is good to know that it was not the issue here.
The issue was that the rat had chewed up the wire related to the neutral switch which they replaced. I have driven around 500 km after the repair and everything is normal now.

Quote:
By any chance did you try finding out how much it costs?
I didn't ask the charge for replacing a busted turbo. I don't want that cost to haunt me every night

Quote:
By the way kudos to you for managing to keep the vehicle in such good condition.
Thanks!

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 25th November 2014 at 21:50.
Old 3rd December 2014, 19:26   #265
Senior - BHPian

The odo stands at 1,08,910 km. Observed a small cut on one of the tire this morning. Also had around 5-6 punctures in last 2 months. The A-Drives showed signs of ageing. Since there are lots of long drives planned in the near future, planned to change the tires immediately. I could have pushed these tires for another 5K km but didn't want to take chances in remote places. Called Nikhil (Madhus) and fixed an appointment this noon. He suggested Continental and Michelin and I opted the latter.

The first set, Apollo Acceleres had served for 58K kms without any complaints. The second set, Yokohama A-Drives served for 50K kms without any issues. I drive a lot in rough terrains in Dakshina Kannada and both the brands performed very well in those conditions. Now it's time to test the performance of Michelin XM2 in those conditions. I have read in other threads that the sidewalls are very soft but let me take a chance and test the tires

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_8214.jpg

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_8216.jpg

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_8213.jpg
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 19:48   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now it's time to test the performance of Michelin XM2 in those conditions. I have read in other threads that the sidewalls are very soft but let me take a chance and test the tires
Firstly, congratulations on reaching the 100K mark . It is always good to see mile-munching car owners like you who think beyond just owning a car but driving it too!!

On XM2 - I have been using the same in my WagonR (155 65 R13)for more than 55K kms and around 20K kms in the Ertiga (205 60 R15).

Although the Ertiga still has to undergo tests in really bad terrains, the set of tires on the WagonR have held up extremely well despite of driving them on really bad terrains and surprise pot holes and new layer edges on unknown roads. My confidence in XM2 due to this ensured I picked the same for the Ertiga earlier this year too.

In fact, I had XM1+ in the WagonR as the 3rd set that gave way with 2 months. 2 Sidewall bulges in 2 months driving only in Bangalore and running over a deep pothole on ORR near Ramamurthy nagar way back in 2010.

Later when XM2 were released, I did read a lot that the sidewalls in this have been made stronger than the predecessor. I blindly picked XM2 this time for the WagonR and glad that they have lived up to my expectations.

In fact, a lot of my friends are running XM2 on Linea and Punto(s) and have driven to very rough terrains (sharp edges of stones) and these tires have performed without a fuss.

Our last drive to Leh few months back in the Linea too was on XM2s that never gave a reason to complain in all kind of terrains.

Sorry for this long write-up but I am one of those who would swear by XM2.

Wish you good luck with yours and sure you will share similar experience.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 21:10   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Firstly, congratulations on reaching the 100K mark . It is always good to see mile-munching car owners like you who think beyond just owning a car but driving it too!!
Thanks. Most of them suggested me to change the car when it had hit 80K mark. But I thought why should I change the car just for the sake of upgrade when the present car is running absolutely fine without any issues. So I decided to keep the car. Your's and some of the long term ownership reports are true inspirations for us to keep the car for a long time with us .

Quote:
I blindly picked XM2 this time for the WagonR and glad that they have lived up to my expectations.

In fact, a lot of my friends are running XM2 on Linea and Punto(s) and have driven to very rough terrains (sharp edges of stones) and these tires have performed without a fuss.

Our last drive to Leh few months back in the Linea too was on XM2s that never gave a reason to complain in all kind of terrains.
These lines gives me enough confidence. I hope the new XM2s serves me well.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 14:43   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll try with a different USB stick tonight. I have been using the same USB stick from past 3.5 years and never faced any issues with it. Also the issue is intermittent. Hence I'm doubting on the HU. I must also mention that the issue started appearing after I tried to fast forward a track by continuously holding the seek button on the steering wheel.
Were you able to resolve the USB issue?
In my i20, for the past week, I had been faced something funny with the steering audio controls with USB stick plugged in the USB slot( USB drive is almost as old as the car).

The HU was having a number of issues when using the steering audio controls. It wouldn't power up using the power button for a while. When it did, the track control buttons would get reversed. If you press next track on the USB, it would play the previous track and vice versa. Even the volume controls would behave erratically. Mute button would result in switching modes- CD/FM/USB. No bluetooth call buttons as mine is a 2009 first gen i20. I wondered if the steering controls had gone kaput.

While passing by Advaith Hyundai, took the car in and showed it to my regular SA, Mr Pradeep. He suspected that the USB stick may be the culprit and checked the same stick in a Verna. Its HU showed the same issues as mine. Just to check, I again checked the audio controls, with no USB connected. I was shocked to see it working absolutely normally and wondered why a "bad" stick made the steering HU power button to not work or work erratically.

The stick works fine when connected to my laptop.

Using another spare USB stick and the HU commanded by steering control works fine now.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 4th December 2014 at 14:52.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 14:50   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Good that you opted for XM2. Given your running in rough terrain , it is a wise decision. I am running on C Drives and although notorious for soft side-wall , has held up really well(touchwood) even after seeing some horrendous stretches .

How much did you pay for each tyre?

And ya, no need to change the car if its doing well! And besides there is nothing like an 'upgrade' to another hatch from i20 .The delta improvement that you get is not worth spending nearly 10 big ones on them. That's the main reason for us also to stick to i20 even after 4.5 years.

If some one comes up with a suspension upgrade it will be wonderful!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 4th December 2014 at 14:55.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 15:58   #270
Senior - BHPian

Guyfrmblr

Congratulations on reaching the 1lac mark. Wishing you many more happy miles ahead.
Fantastic maintenance for a black car to shine like mirror after so much of mile munching.

Ownership reviews like yours keeps proving that Korean crdi mills are reliable and packs a punch even at 100k kms.

XM2 is an excellent choice, Michelin has learnt from XM1 and made XM2 rugged as hell.
Have taken XM2 to the world's most treacherous road - Kinnaur Spiti loop. Crossing 3-4 landslides and 30 odd water crossings without a single puncture. (Landslide crossing pic below)

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-20140811_1043522.jpg

Last edited by kpzen : 4th December 2014 at 16:04.
kpzen is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks