Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2014, 14:45   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 2010 CRDI SPORTZ - Preowned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
My car has done 36000 Kms and yes there is slight juddering .1st and 2nd gears are tough ,all others are smooth.
36K km is too less for a clutch overhaul provided that the clutch is operated in a normal manner. As sagarpadaki has suggested, take out the topic of transmission oil change with your SA and check his opinion.

Meanwhile I called my SA in Bangalore to check the price of clutch overhaul. He said it's maximum around 15K including labor charges for i20 CRDi. So you better show your car in a different HASS and get their opinion. My car has run 78K km and absolutely no issues with the clutch. My SA used to mention that he has seen cases of clutch overhauls at 25K itself but most of them driven by ladies. Since your i20 is a pre-owned one, hope the previous owner hasn't abused the clutch.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 1st March 2014 at 14:48.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 16:31   #137
BANNED

Quote:
My car has done 36000 Kms and yes there is slight juddering .1st and 2nd gears are tough ,all others are smooth.
Why not have a look at the gear linkages / shifting mechanism?

If possible have a look at the clutch release bearings for the juddering that you have been feeling.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 22:04   #138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why not have a look at the gear linkages / shifting mechanism?

If possible have a look at the clutch release bearings for the juddering that you have been feeling.

Anurag.
I took the.car to ignite gatrge ,you can find them in team bhp directory.as per them clutch is fine it's only the other part which has become tight.i forgot the name of it.i guess release bearing ,clutch plate seems to be fine.

Thanks for the Idea ,I will check the linkages.
Old 3rd March 2014, 23:19   #139
BANNED

what problem is this??

Hi All,

We found a peculiar problem with my car , the car was switching off when ever i slow down ,like say stooping for a speed breaker and changing from 4th to 2nd gear ect .

i though it was due to hard clutch ,after test drive we found that it happens only when AC is on and only if any gear is engaged with clutch pressed (not in contact with engine).

i really could not figure out what is wrong , if the car was in neutral and clutch is pressed when car is doing 60 or 20 or 100km/hr it does not switch off even till the car comes to stand still. but if any gear is on and i press the clutch then it switches off.

in my view it should be a sensor problem related to AC but when scanned there was no problem.

Can someone give me any suggestion? i dont want to go for HASS is there any good service station in chennai? Multibrand ect
Old 5th March 2014, 15:42   #140
BHPian

re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Posted in one of the other i20 threads but did not get any reply. So posting it here. Sorry for hijacking another ownership thread.

My 2011 i20 Sportz (pre facelift) suffered a side wall cut to its left front wheel due to a carelessly lying rock bang in the fast lane. I was returning to Hyderabad from Kerala and this happened at the fag end of the journey just before Hyderabad. The cut is around 2 inches at the outer sidewall. My car comes with factory fitted alloys and the tyre size is 185/65 R14.

Now my question to you guys. Is there any way I can repair the cut sidewall or do I need to get a completely new tyre. I read somewhere that cuts upto 3 inches can be repaired using some sealant. I also plan to retain this repaired tyre as the spare and transfer my alloys to the erstwhile spare tyre which is now sticking out like a sore thumb due to its steel rims.

Also I have run 30k now and during my last alignment, the technician said that the tyres have worn out very less and can last another 20k minimum. Can I wait for that long? What is the experience of other i20 owners with respect to tyre change?

thanks in advance
Old 5th March 2014, 16:05   #141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

Now my question to you guys. Is there any way I can repair the cut sidewall or do I need to get a completely new tyre. I read somewhere that cuts upto 3 inches can be repaired using some sealant. I also plan to retain this repaired tyre as the spare and transfer my alloys to the erstwhile spare tyre which is now sticking out like a sore thumb due to its steel rims
IMO, peace of mind is important than anything else.

I am not an i20 owner but speaking in general, please buy a new tyre rather trying to repairing it.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 16:46   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Posted in one of the other i20 threads but did not get any reply. So posting it here. Sorry for hijacking another ownership thread.

My 2011 i20 Sportz (pre facelift) suffered a side wall cut to its left front wheel due to a carelessly lying rock bang in the fast lane. I was returning to Hyderabad from Kerala and this happened at the fag end of the journey just before Hyderabad. The cut is around 2 inches at the outer sidewall. My car comes with factory fitted alloys and the tyre size is 185/65 R14.

Now my question to you guys. Is there any way I can repair the cut sidewall or do I need to get a completely new tyre. I read somewhere that cuts upto 3 inches can be repaired using some sealant. I also plan to retain this repaired tyre as the spare and transfer my alloys to the erstwhile spare tyre which is now sticking out like a sore thumb due to its steel rims.

Also I have run 30k now and during my last alignment, the technician said that the tyres have worn out very less and can last another 20k minimum. Can I wait for that long? What is the experience of other i20 owners with respect to tyre change?

thanks in advance

2 inches cut on Sidewall? Just junk the tyre. No amount of repair will help it get back the structural strength it had earlier.Besides, your life is more precious than 4.5K for a tyre

Change the tyre
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 17:22   #143
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your replies. Will change the tyre immediately.

Also what is the life of an average tyre for the i20. On my last visit to a alignment centre, the guy there said that my current tyres can last another 20k more. They have currently run around 30k in ~3yrs. Going by the current running, my tyres will last for another 2 yrs. Is it advisable to wait that long between tyre changes?
Old 5th March 2014, 17:49   #144
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your replies. Will change the tyre immediately.

Also what is the life of an average tyre for the i20. On my last visit to a alignment centre, the guy there said that my current tyres can last another 20k more. They have currently run around 30k in ~3yrs. Going by the current running, my tyres will last for another 2 yrs. Is it advisable to wait that long between tyre changes?
An average car should have tyres last 40-50K if properly maintained i.e. tyre pressure, road on which travelled, driving style etc. It is good if the tyre is chabged within 2-3 years as rubber hardens with time as it is affected by environment factors and usage. Life of tyres depend on manufacturer and the compound used (Harder ones last longer).

Please change the tyre as it has done 3 years of its lifetime.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2014, 21:33   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, a bad pressure plate/release bearing or a clutch hydraulic system which has air in it manifests itself the most only in 1st and 2nd gear.

Let me list down how you should go about with isolating the cause.

First attempt - Bleed the clutch, see if it lightens and the gear shifts become smooth.

2nd Attempt: Adjust the linkages and check the bush which connects the gear linkages to the gearbox in the bonnet, if its worn out ( has a lot of play, replace it)

Gearbox oil cannot be a cause of hard shifting unless the grade which was filled last time you changed is wrong as wrong gearbox oil grade manifests itself the MAXIMUM in 1st and 2nd gears but that too after a run of 10 to 15 kilometers they become smooth as the gear oil heats up. Last I guess you must have changed the gearbox oil at 20 thousand km but I still believe this is not a cause of hard shifting in your case.

Do not continue to use the car with the hard gearshift, the synchronizing rings of the 1st and 2nd gear ( 2nd gear has double cone synchronizing mechanism, in the Swift it does, so I assume the I20 might have too) will wear out over time and you will be in for some expensive gearbox overhaul.

Third attempt: Open the clutch, You will come to know on inspection, what is fault, the pressure plate or release bearing, change ALL OF IT including the clutch plate if any of them is found fault.

This should set you back on the road 99.99% without any gear shift problems.

I hope this helps.

Quote:

thanks in advance
Not Reparable at any cost. You will have to replace it.

Last edited by humyum : 5th March 2014 at 21:35.
Old 5th March 2014, 23:09   #146
BANNED

Thank you humyum , i will do that for the hard clutch.

Now for the switching off problem,Today i took the car to another service station that immediately they pointed out the problem,looks like it is common in all crdi i20's.

it was a matter of Rs 550 worth Clutch Switch assembly,it was replaced in 20 mins and now car is running normally.

Now i need to check the clutch alone for hardness in shifting and pedal
Old 5th March 2014, 23:48   #147
Senior - BHPian

The car completed 79K KM yesterday and hence serviced it at Advaith Hyundai, ORR today. As usual, the service was great. No major issues reported. The minor issues reported by me were:

1. Recently there was a faint sound coming from the right suspension when going over potholes and hence asked them to check all the suspensions. The suspension bush was replaced and the problem is solved.

2. A faint rattling sound was coming from the front door since last week. This issue is solved.

3. I asked SA about the timing chain change interval in i20. His reply was that 80K was the Hyundai recommended interval for timing chain change but they'll replace it only if it starts giving problem. He mentioned that usually the timing chain lasts for the lifetime of engine. The timing chain costs a whopping 30K.

4. The right side parking light had conked off. They replaced it.

5. I had recently applied Meguiars UC to remove all the major swirls. Hence made them write in the job card not to wash. But they washed the car. I could see minor swirls on the bonnet .

The cost breakup:

1. Mag Wheel Weights - 101.30
2. Wurth Screen Wash - 87.32
3. Engine Oil - 1430.11
4. A/C Neutralizer - 1360.00
5. Consumables (Care Plus) - 760.00
6. Filter Cartridge - 200.00
7. Filter - Air Cleaner - 1376.63
8. Service Kit - Oil Filter - 363.71
9. Bulb - 39.52

Labor and Services:
1. Brake O/H - 175.00
2. Diesel Filter Replaced - 150.00
3. AC Neutralizer - 190.00
4. Caliper Greasing - 235.00
5. Wheel Balancing - 420.00
6. Wheel Alignment - 530.00
7. Periodic Maintenance Service - 1265.00

Tax - 808.66 + 326.80

There was some discount on parts and labor charges this week and hence got a total discount of Rs 1099/-

Total - Rs 8719.93

I haven't noticed any changes in FE. The A-Drives have completed 22K km and haven't faced any issue with them except for a single puncture caused by a nail. The Osram NB+, fog lamps and Roots Windtone are performing their duty very well. The car is running absolutely fine.

I'm recently facing an issue with the connectivity of my USB based Sony MP3 player with HU. I guess its the problem with my MP3 player as the HU is detecting all other USB thumb drives. When I connect the MP3 player, it tries to detect for 3-4 seconds and then just switches to other source like FM. This cycle repeats every 5-6 seconds but it never detects or plays any track from the MP3 player. Has anyone else faced similar issue with any USB device?

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 5th March 2014 at 23:58.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 11:25   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I was told that in diesel cars the most expensive service is at 80,000 kms, is it a correct statement. Since, I have a diesel i20 as well, I am also keen at knowing the changes in the engine sound and smoothness of the car.
Please check the previous post for the 80000 km service report. It was a normal service, in fact it was cheaper than the previous services due to some ongoing discounts . I was only worried about the timing chain but SA mentioned that its in perfect condition and usually it lasts for lifetime of the engine unlike timing belts which needs a replacement. He checked the condition of the clutch and informed that its in very good condition. The cost of clutch overhaul is around 15K. The engine sound and smoothness hasn't changed. Its as refined as when it was new.

Since there is another 1000 km left before the warranty expires, I'll be leaving the car for a thorough check-up sometime later this month so that they can check if anything needs to be replaced under warranty.

Quote:
Now for the switching off problem,Today i took the car to another service station that immediately they pointed out the problem,looks like it is common in all crdi i20's.
I haven't faced any issues like this till now. Glad to know that it was solved.
Old 6th March 2014, 11:31   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I'm recently facing an issue with the connectivity of my USB based Sony MP3 player with HU. I guess its the problem with my MP3 player as the HU is detecting all other USB thumb drives. When I connect the MP3 player, it tries to detect for 3-4 seconds and then just switches to other source like FM. This cycle repeats every 5-6 seconds but it never detects or plays any track from the MP3 player. Has anyone else faced similar issue with any USB device?
Mi wife too has got a sony MP3 player and I too face the same issue. However when I use my Philips MP3 player, the HU plays without any problem.

I think that it has got to do with the format of the MP3 player. AFAIK i20 HU supports only FAT32 format and not the regular NTSC format. Maybe all Sony MP3 players come with NTSC formats memories.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 11:34   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Now for the switching off problem,Today i took the car to another service station that immediately they pointed out the problem,looks like it is common in all crdi i20's. It was a matter of Rs 550 worth Clutch Switch assembly,it was replaced in 20 mins and now car is running normally.
If this is a common problem with all CRDi i20's then why do a recall and the whole thing?! Is this the Compressor Clutch switch that they have changed?

Good that the problem had been solved.

Quote:
Now i need to check the clutch alone for hardness in shifting and pedal
Check the linkages and clutch release bearings.

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks