Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 10:47   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
DB sir, but would a CMVR regulation affect the beam pattern ? Cant we have a good beam pattern even with a 55/60 ?
(Eg: I am actually happy with the throw of my stock 55/60 on the Ikon TDCi) Or are you refering to something different ?
Dear Condor - sorry, I missed seeing your post, so replying now.

CMVR regulation calls for European Assymetric Beam pattern. This has the 15 degree cutoff which provides for anti-glare property. CMVR specifies maximum wattage so manufacturers cannot exceed it. In general, for normal use, production headlights may be just about OK as long as nobody is coming at you with high beam from the opposite lane. Also, drive your Ikon in the rainy season and see. Therefore, I am indeed referring to something different, details of which are given in page 60 of the lighting thread on this forum as I previously mentioned. Please read my post there, word by word, line by line. Once you use the 140/110 watts bulbs with the wiring harness prepared as I have indicated, and in Thar it is possible because the lens is of glass (don't do it in modern cars, the lens is of plastic, it will blacken or melt), I can assure you that you will use nothing else. I have derived this process because I used to participate in rallies, driving flat out for full nights, where headlights were an absolute life and death necessity. Although I had 4 such headlights on my car, just two were sufficient to teach a lesson to the guy glaring in high beam from the opposite side. This included trucks also. A Sardarji truck driver kept seeing my car headlights at a roadside Dhaba in the dead of night for a full 15 minutes, then quietly smiled at me! He told me that he knew what these lights were (they were Cibie Concave)! This was in 1983 just before Udaipur, when we were going to Delhi for the Himalayan Rally.

Best reards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 22:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Carrot Eater / Trueintrepid - ...For example, I do not know what else to call targa band. Anyways, now the internet is always there to help you out. ..

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Any piece of metal or trim which rises up from the side of a car and continues in an uninterrupted line over the roof and down the other side is sometimes called a targa band, targa bar or a wrapover band.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 08:48   #48
BHPian

I don't know if I should be putting this piece of news here, but I'll leave it to the mods to decide. Came across this rather sad news. Bopanna, hope it's fine with you.

This article also mentions Sunny Sidhu's Thar, which came hurtling down a steep cliff.

J&K Mughal Rally meets a sad end, one driver dead - Kashmir - Zimbio

Last edited by Trueintrepid : 5th July 2012 at 08:52. Reason: Added extra text
Old 12th July 2012, 23:52   #49
BHPian

Dear All

Exciting news!!

Got inputs from Manas' hard top thread (Armadillo - Review) and probed a bit deeper.
It appears the Italian Hard Top for the Thar is available.
No pricing indications so far, but based on demand from our forum members, we can probably examine the possibility of importing hard tops, assuming the price is reasonable.

I have attached the reply.

Kindly let me know if members are interested so that I can take it forward.

Bopanna
Attached Thumbnails
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-scan0002.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-scan0003.jpg  

Last edited by cpbopanna : 12th July 2012 at 23:53.
cpbopanna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 15:10   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Dear All

Exciting news!!

Got inputs from Manas' hard top thread (Armadillo - Review) and probed a bit deeper.
It appears the Italian Hard Top for the Thar is available.
No pricing indications so far, but based on demand from our forum members, we can probably examine the possibility of importing hard tops, assuming the price is reasonable.

Bopanna
Just got an offer from Italy.
For ONE hard top the FOB Italy price is 2,200 Euro (Rs. 1.485 Lakhs approximately)
Add shipping + customs duty @ 35%, the landed price in India will be Rs. 2 Lakhs +

I have asked for a revised offer.

Regret no enquiries/interest from the forum members so far!!
Unless we have requisite numbers, I do not foresee a deal happening..
Old 16th July 2012, 15:34   #51
BHPian

Hi CP ,
I,ve been following all your posts abt the Thar right from the beginning , loved your Thar in Coorg .

I hope you have seen the Hyderabad Hard top, they have already done quite a great job except for the rear panel.
It seems to be far better than the "Italian one " and given they are in the process of redesigning and correcting all the flaws I'm sure it's going to turn out excellent .
The price should be only in the range of 40-60 according to my assumption .
Old 16th July 2012, 15:47   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Hi CP ,
I,ve been following all your posts abt the Thar right from the beginning , loved your Thar in Coorg .

I hope you have seen the Hyderabad Hard top, they have already done quite a great job except for the rear panel.
It seems to be far better than the "Italian one " and given they are in the process of redesigning and correcting all the flaws I'm sure it's going to turn out excellent .
The price should be only in the range of 40-60 according to my assumption .
Hi Slalom

I have been eagerly awaiting the Hyderabad Hard Top.
But in spite of several 'cajoling' reminders, there have been no updates so far!
Old 17th July 2012, 08:35   #53
BHPian

Hang on , I think the HT is going to turn out great and it will be worth it at the end of the day .
Fazal sir and the HYd guys have some impeccable jeeps as we all know and you are not going to be disappointed.( keeping my fingers crossed)
Old 19th July 2012, 13:07   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Condor - sorry, I missed seeing your post, so replying now.

CMVR regulation calls for European Assymetric Beam pattern. This has the 15 degree cutoff which provides for anti-glare property. CMVR specifies maximum wattage so manufacturers cannot exceed it. In general, for normal use, production headlights may be just about OK as long as nobody is coming at you with high beam from the opposite lane. Also, drive your Ikon in the rainy season and see. Therefore, I am indeed referring to something different, details of which are given in page 60 of the lighting thread on this forum as I previously mentioned. Please read my post there, word by word, line by line. Once you use the 140/110 watts bulbs with the wiring harness prepared as I have indicated, and in Thar it is possible because the lens is of glass (don't do it in modern cars, the lens is of plastic, it will blacken or melt), I can assure you that you will use nothing else. I have derived this process because I used to participate in rallies, driving flat out for full nights, where headlights were an absolute life and death necessity. Although I had 4 such headlights on my car, just two were sufficient to teach a lesson to the guy glaring in high beam from the opposite side. This included trucks also. A Sardarji truck driver kept seeing my car headlights at a roadside Dhaba in the dead of night for a full 15 minutes, then quietly smiled at me! He told me that he knew what these lights were (they were Cibie Concave)! This was in 1983 just before Udaipur, when we were going to Delhi for the Himalayan Rally.

Best reards,

Behram Dhabhar
from what I observed, the head light on Thar CRDE looks like a single unit, including the electronic level controller.
Is it possible to change ONLY the "autopal" light beam in this unit without affecting other functional pieces ?
Old 28th July 2012, 23:33   #55
BHPian

Just an update

Have clocked close to 1,500 km. Most of the niggles and squeaks have settled down. So have the rubber mats inside, with the driver's side mat already worn out!! I have had to place an additional set of mats over the existing OEM mats.
I was very particular about fitting Hella fog lamps, however could not find a decent supporting bracket.
Not very happy with the TJ off-roading bumpers look-alikes available locally, in my opinion it changes the character of the front!
Finally settled for the steel bull-bar sold by Mahindra as an accessory and fitted the fog lamps onto it! The chrome bull bar is well finished, the 'powder-coated' black bull bar is cheaper by Rs. 1,000 but the finish is far from satisfactory!
Look-wise, I am not sure if the Jeep looks better with the bull bar or without! The spread of the Hella beams however, are spectacular!
Regarding the Italian hard top, I seem to be making satisfactory progress...
Will keep posting nearer the time, for now I have attached a new brochure! Of particular interest is the rear hatch mechanism!
Attached Thumbnails
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-hellathar.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thar Hard top Brochure.pdf (1.25 MB, 1487 views)
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 07:46   #56
BHPian

The bull bar is alright , unmistakably Mahindra.

Did you see the review and pics of the " HYD HT" ?
It has turned out quite good ,I spoke to Prabhu , the price is a tad bit high but considering the PU insulation , the sun roofs and the aesthetics it seems to the best till date .
Old 29th July 2012, 09:24   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom
The bull bar is alright , unmistakably Mahindra.

Did you see the review and pics of the " HYD HT" ?
It has turned out quite good ,I spoke to Prabhu , the price is a tad bit high but considering the PU insulation , the sun roofs and the aesthetics it seems to the best till date .
Slalom

I was eagerly awaiting the 'launch' of the Hyderabad hard top and read it's detailed review with great interest. I spoke with Prabhu and was on the verge of wire-transferring the advance amount to him!

However, subsequently two factors struck my mind, viz the pricing (as you rightly mentioned) is rather high, and most importantly, the Thar with a fixed hard top reminded me of a short wheel base Bolero/Armada, the thrill of open Jeeping being lost forever!

Bopanna

Last edited by cpbopanna : 29th July 2012 at 09:27.
Old 29th July 2012, 12:24   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Slalom

I was eagerly awaiting the 'launch' of the Hyderabad hard top and read it's detailed review with great interest. I spoke with Prabhu and was on the verge of wire-transferring the advance amount to him!

However, subsequently two factors struck my mind, viz the pricing (as you rightly mentioned) is rather high, and most importantly, the Thar with a fixed hard top reminded me of a short wheel base Bolero/Armada, the thrill of open Jeeping being lost forever!

Bopanna
I wouldn't comment on the price but i feel there's some advantages in the review that are HUGELY credible when compared to the other HTs.

1. Its 5 individual pieces with the perfect Fit . No need to change whole hardtop in case of damage on any one of the panels.

2. Not covering the B-pillar retains the old soft top/Mahindra look. This apart from not raising the CoG.

3. There only the roof panels (under a minute job) to be opened and the thrill of open jeeping with quick refit for security always available. Just imagine, you choose to do a pleasant open to the weather drive , but need to lock up at your destination. This HT offers that. Ive experienced a 1000km drive in this HT from Hyd to MCUBE2012 and trust me, if your're wanting a more open jeeping feeling , then you'd have to loose your doors lol.

4. SWB Bolero comparison........... isnt that just the perfect combo for a daily driver cum recreation vehicle ?

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 29th July 2012 at 12:26.
absynthguzzler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 12:43   #59
BHPian

@ absynthguzzler, nice to know that you have experienced the HT.

I would totally agree with all of your points .

I hope the infamous " Targa Band " is reinforced by the HT and would have stopped the doors from rattling.

Thanks for your input !
Old 9th August 2012, 21:17   #60
BHPian

Quote:
I have placed an order for the SA roll bar at India Garage, St. Marks Road, Bangalore; expected period of delivery 2 - 4 weeks; approximate cost - Rs. 10,000/-.
Please contact Mr. Chandrashekar, the head of the Accessory section, his office is in the mezzanine floor (you can mention my name and Rajith's, if you so please!)

Part numbers are as follows:
0101GAD00170N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR SIDE RR LH EXPORT
0101GAD00180N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR SIDE RR RH EXPORT
0101GAD00250N ASSY ROLLOVER BAR FRONT EXPORT

After speaking with Vinod Nookala, he was kind enough to patch me up with Rajith who gladly shared the Part Nos. with me and also gave me a set of Allen bolts required for the installation.
Two updates:

I got a call from India Garage yesterday that my South African roll-over bar had arrived! Whoopie! Immediately rushed to India Garage and fixed today as the d-day for the installation of the roll-over bar at their Peenya facility. Applied for a day's leave and arrived at India Garage Peenya at 9 am sharp!

Then started the ordeal! "We were not sure that you were coming 'today' for installation, you should have called and confirmed before coming, the installation requires extensive modifications in the body, the 'expert' who removes and fixes the soft-top is not available today!"

I did not want to waste my day's hard-earned leave. I spoke to their Service-Head, requested them to bill the roll-over cage, paid for it (Rs. 9,500 approximately), loaded the roll-over bar to the Jeep and drove to my mechanic (my man Friday) in town.

Within half an hour, the bolts holding the soft-top (rear portion) was removed, and the soft-top flipped over the top of the vehicle (to allow easy access), seats jettisoned, the central bar fixed. (At this juncture, I must thank Rajith for providing me a full set of Allen bolts required for the installation). One of the right-hand side roll-bar allen bolts was not going in, required minor grinding to align the hole with the thread. That done, the RHS installation was complete.

My man Friday then suggested that we drive to the welders to 'correct' some holes in the LHS bar since the holes were grossly misaligned.
Surprise of surprises, the roll-over bar provided for the left was actually for the RHS.
The label clearly indicated 'LHS'. No wonder the part was not fitting the left side!

I lost my cool, spoke to the head of the spare parts section in India Garage who requested me to return the 'wrong' part to them. They would photograph the 'wrong' part and send it to Mahindra for replacement, which could take 5/10/20/30 days??

I returned the part (the 'LHS' bar) to India Garage but was skeptical about the replacement period. Since I had already wasted a day, thought I might as well take the matter to its logical conclusion. Met the GM of India Garage and apprised him of how the accessories division of Mahindra functions. A Mahindra senior executive who was present at the office also joined the meeting. I wondered aloud how a South-african would react legally if Mahindra supplied him a RHS roll bar by labelling it LHS! Hoping for the best now!

On another note, the 'Italian' removable hard-top is on its way! If all goes well, my Jeep will be hard-'topped' by the next week-end!
Attached Thumbnails
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-saroll-cage.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-rh-roll-bar.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-bopanna-foto.jpg  

cpbopanna is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks