Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2013, 15:38   #196
BHPian

Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
No Manas....the air mass sensor was quite clean!

Yes, we can probably have a drag during our next meet..with my Race Chip Pro2 which is on its way!
Race Chip Pro 2...just arrived!

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-race-chip-box.jpg

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-race-chip-box.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Have been following your thread closely. Your beast looks great with simple, yet appealing mods. With all the necessary mods done, do you think a Thar could be a long distance cruiser ?

BTW, I live in a similar place north of Coorg district
Thanks Chandan!

With ALL mods, the Thar is a comfortable long-distance cruiser for two! It will be lovely vehicle to drive on Sakleshpur/Chickmagalur roads!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 25th October 2013 at 15:42.
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 16:13   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is unfair on Mahindra's part to cringe on something as essential as good brakes for the sake of cost-cutting. In any case, all costs are passed on to the customers (with handsome margins) who grudgingly accept the same! Blaming CMVR for the current state of affairs is illogical. The bean counters will always want to produce and sell only bare-bones chassis (as vehicles) if possible
Dear cpbopanna - in this world, full of completely insensitive and fully sterilized bean counters, experiences like these are inevitable for passionate people like us. That's why putting a cross support above the driver's head and taking rear seats down by 5 mm is more important than brakes. I can understand your frustration, spending 13000 rupees so that the company could save 800 rupees at OE level. It is thanks to Rajith that the process log of doing this change is meticulously recorded and maintained.

Dear Rajith - in case you've had enough of bean counters in your industry, you could take up an alternate profession, I say! . I would have preferred to locate the vacuum tank close to the booster on the RH side. For one vehicle, doing this should not be an issue, there is lots of space behind the air cleaner upto the firewall even with the AC receiver drier located nearby. It will give much better performance under repeat braking cycles (fade and recovery mode) and long hose routing will be avoided, reducing cost and complexity. And, by the way, you lucky guy, you don't need any "drawing release" to do it!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 18:54   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Do share the initial impression about the tuning box,also which other tuning box did you consider ?
Old 26th October 2013, 11:28   #199
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Chandan!

With ALL mods, the Thar is a comfortable long-distance cruiser for two! It will be lovely vehicle to drive on Sakleshpur/Chickmagalur roads!
It'll be only me & my wife, sometimes our dogs. In fact, I can count the number of times we have used the rear seats for humans in my Getz.
Old 26th October 2013, 18:08   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Do share the initial impression about the tuning box,also which other tuning box did you consider ?
Haven't yet installed the Race Chip.

The basic issue was to fix the (lack of) low-end torque, an impediment to city driving. On highways, the momentum is good enough.

I had considered DieselTronic and communicated with Race Dynamics. After getting the dealer's number, the dealer refused to answer the phone on three occasions. For me, this was a deal-breaker, if a dealer could not sell his product, how could I expect any service?

I debated the issue with our local Bangalore Thar group, one member strongly recommended nothing short of a Pro Chip 2, from Race Chip Germany. He had in fact, re-mapped his chip. However, since my Jeep has a factory-fitted air conditioner (air-con linked to the ECU), re-mapping the chip is not advisable.

I therefore decided to go with Race Chip (nothing like a German product) and ordered it directly from their website, online. It reached me in 3 days flat!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 26th October 2013 at 18:10.
Old 28th October 2013, 12:22   #201

Hello Mr. Bopanna,
How are you? I had a couple of queries.
1) Regarding the V shaped bracket from the SA rollover bar to the Targa band, any recommendations as to where I can get it fabricated?
2) After being extremely dissatisfied with the India Garage service center folks in Whitefield. I'm seriously looking for a good goto guy for all things Jeep. I need your recommendation regarding a reliable 'Jeep guy' (mechanic) in Bangalore.

Thanks and Regards,
..Partha
Old 28th October 2013, 12:44   #202
BHPian

Quote:
I debated the issue with our local Bangalore Thar group, one member strongly recommended nothing short of a Pro Chip 2, from Race Chip Germany. He had in fact, re-mapped his chip. However, since my Jeep has a factory-fitted air conditioner (air-con linked to the ECU), re-mapping the chip is not advisable. I therefore decided to go with Race Chip (nothing like a German product) and ordered it directly from their website, online. It reached me in 3 days flat!
Hi Bops, Have been following ur upgrades quite closely for a while. Thumbs up!!! I own a 2012 thar (with a/c). I am intersected in the tuning chip.
1) is it worth to buy Pro Chip 2 for only an additional 4-7% performance? Can one even feel this difference? Is it worth the extra Euros?
2) what would be the impact on A/C (with Race Chip vs Pro Chip 2)?
3) did you buy the Race Chip or the Pro Chip 2? You mention "Pro Chip 2 just arrived" in one of your earlier posts and now about Race Chip.
Thanks!
Cheers,
Yogesh.
Old 28th October 2013, 14:13   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaysusarla View Post
Hello Mr. Bopanna,
How are you? I had a couple of queries.
1) Regarding the V shaped bracket from the SA rollover bar to the Targa band, any recommendations as to where I can get it fabricated?
2) After being extremely dissatisfied with the India Garage service center folks in Whitefield. I'm seriously looking for a good goto guy for all things Jeep. I need your recommendation regarding a reliable 'Jeep guy' (mechanic) in Bangalore.

Thanks and Regards,
..Partha
Hi Partha, I am well, thank you!

1. I generally go to Chrome Motors, Mysore Road for body work - tinkering/fabrication/painting. They are quite good. Until recently, I went there even for mechanical work. Chrome should be able to help you with the bracket between the SA roll-cage and the targa band.
2. However, after Rajith introduced me to Manjunath at India Garage, Peenya, I can vouch for him. I shall be going to Peenya hence-forth for all my mechanical work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post
Hi Bops, Have been following ur upgrades quite closely for a while. Thumbs up!!! I own a 2012 thar (with a/c). I am intersected in the tuning chip.
1) is it worth to buy Pro Chip 2 for only an additional 4-7% performance? Can one even feel this difference? Is it worth the extra Euros?
2) what would be the impact on A/C (with Race Chip vs Pro Chip 2)?
3) did you buy the Race Chip or the Pro Chip 2? You mention "Pro Chip 2 just arrived" in one of your earlier posts and now about Race Chip.
Thanks!
Cheers,
Yogesh.
Hi Yogesh,

1. I frankly cannot as yet comment on the performance of the Race Chip vis-a-vis the Pro Chip 2 - I have not yet installed it
2. There should be no impact on the A/C, the Race Chip or the Pro 2 only change the engine map
3. Yes, I bought the Race Chip Pro 2!

Regards!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 28th October 2013 at 14:40.
Old 28th October 2013, 14:59   #204

Quote:
Hi Partha,

I am well, thank you!

1. I generally go to Chrome Motors, Mysore Road for body work - tinkering/fabrication/painting. They are quite good. Until recently, I went there even for mechanical work. Chrome should be able to help you with the bracket between the SA roll-cage and the targa band.

2. However, after Rajith introduced me to Manjunath at India Garage, Peenya, I can vouch for him. I shall be going to Peenya hence-forth for all my mechanical work.
Very useful information. Thank you very much indeed!

And as always, eagerly watching your thread. There is so much I've learnt about my Jeep on this thread. In many ways I've learnt to appreciate my Jeep even more, thanks to all the threads about the Thar on Team BHP.

There was a point in time, right after I bought my Thar, when I was extremely disillusioned about the purchase. Specially with regard to the build quality. And it is only after reading your thread and @manveet's did I realise that I'm not alone. I understood the pain one goes thru in trying to 'fix' the Jeep to suit our individual tastes.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to tune and work on my Jeep like you, Ranjith or Arka do. But all I can say is, I'm not intimidated by the issues anymore.

Thanks once again.
Cheers and Regards,
..Partha
ajaysusarla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 02:42   #205
BANNED

hi bopanna very taste fully done up jeep. I too have the same rear bumper setup as yours sans a few changes. how much did the race chip cost you all inclusive. I have one on my Linea n cost me 12k as a friend of mine got for me from Germany.

I have found that pumping the brake twice gets the jeep to a rapid halt. With time I have perfected this technique but are there any long term damages I should look out for.
Old 29th October 2013, 12:39   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
hi bopanna very taste fully done up jeep. I too have the same rear bumper setup as yours sans a few changes. how much did the race chip cost you all inclusive. I have one on my Linea n cost me 12k as a friend of mine got for me from Germany.

I have found that pumping the brake twice gets the jeep to a rapid halt. With time I have perfected this technique but are there any long term damages I should look out for.
Thank you for the compliment Drimtukkar!
Will you please post pictures of your rear bumper? Just to check how ideas vary?

The Race Chip Pro 2 Costs Euro 229 + Euro 45 for shipping + Rs. 7,100 for customs duty; a total of around Rs. 30k!
The regular Race Chip costs Euro 129. Without shipping and customs duty, works out to around Rs. 11k (@ the current FX rate of Rs. 85/Euro)

Pumping twice to brake does help to a certain extent, but in panic situations, I have had two or three near misses. When you jam the brakes, the whole vehicle swerves left to right as if deciding to stop or not!
But by then, it can be too late!

That's the reason I decided not to compromise on safety and went ahead with the brake upgrade.
Old 29th October 2013, 13:01   #207
BANNED

Thanks a lot. Off late my wife too is enjoying driving the Thar I too need to upgrade the brakes but I'll get it done at Blore itself as my people here are not ready to touch the torsion bar even. They only do oil and filter changes. that's why am skeptical with what they can do with the brakes. will be in touch.
As for the race chip it worked out cheaper than our local makes. happy tharing.
Drlmtukkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 12:57   #208
BHPian

Quote:
1. I frankly cannot as yet comment on the performance of the Race Chip vis-a-vis the Pro Chip 2 - I have not yet installed it
2. There should be no impact on the A/C, the Race Chip or the Pro 2 only change the engine map
3. Yes, I bought the Race Chip Pro 2!

Regards!
1) Ok, let me know the results. I'm curiously waiting for it. I will pick it up here in Europe before my next visit to India (free shipping within Europe ).
2) Could you please share Mr. Manjunath's contact number? I need to upgrade my brakes as well. Where did you buy the spares?
Cheers!
Old 5th November 2013, 20:08   #209
BHPian

Jeep CRD - A Jeep with a sting in its tail!

Product: Race Chip Pro 2 Tech specs (before) / after:

Power: (105 bhp) / 137 bhp; Torque: (247 N-M) / 330 N-M

At last found the time to install the Race Chip. Though simple, did not want to attempt installation at home, lest any engine diagnostic lights came on!
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-pro-chip.jpg

Simple installation, the signal to the common-rail is daisy-looped through the race chip. All required wiring provided with the chip. The race chip has been clamped onto the fuse case within the bonnet.

There is a provision to remove the race-chip and clip on a dummy, in case stock conditions are required.

The famous Manju with the installation!
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-pro-chip-2.jpg

Initial driving impression: Well, the Jeep has a sting in its tail! Initial torque has improved manifold. The Jeep can be driven one gear higher.

The thrust when accelerating is exhilarating!

Thank God I upgraded the brakes before the Race Chip installation!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 5th November 2013 at 20:10.
cpbopanna is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 20:18   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Product: Race Chip Pro 2 Tech specs (before) / after: Power: (105 bhp) / 137 bhp; Torque: (247 N-M) / 330 N-M The thrust when accelerating is exhilarating! Thank God I upgraded the brakes before the Race Chip installation!
How did you find out the gains,is it given on the box? How to check wether I have the upgraded brakes or no ? mine is a July 2013 model ?

Most Viewed