Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2018, 09:34   #316
BHPian

A drive through a paddy field on a hot summer day!
Attached Thumbnails
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-1522123400296.jpg  

cpbopanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:45   #317

Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This may not be due to the track difference, will have to do with break bias set up also Yes the adapter improves the stability, especially on the turns otherwise. Have them on my Thar also.
Hello Jaggu,
The fishtailing effect in Thar, is that because of the track difference between the front and rear? Or is it because of the MLD which kicks in when senses rpm difference when going in speed over corrugations like bumps? I have 2016 model with MLD so can't really decide if spacers will solve my problem.

Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 11:22   #318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC POWER View Post
Hello Jaggu,
The fishtailing effect in Thar, is that because of the track difference between the front and rear? Or is it because of the MLD which kicks in when senses rpm difference when going in speed over corrugations like bumps? I have 2016 model with MLD so can't really decide if spacers will solve my problem.

Thanks
MLD kicks in based on variation in wheel speed between the sides, this should not happen over normal road undulations and bumps. Fish tailing definitely can be controlled with the spacers, plus better shock absorbers. Have worked well in multiple Thar's i know of. So do check, and it is not a very expensive or damaging mod in the first place.
Old 7th November 2018, 19:17   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Hi Bopanna,

Could you please let me know where you got your alloys from? They look great on your Thar!

If you dont mind, how much did it cost? I have been looking for similar ones for a while now!

Are they doing a good job? do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Yogesh
Old 14th May 2020, 12:40   #320
BHPian

My Jeep CRD - 8 years, 60,000 km later - no major problems, just niggles for which I bestowed my prompt attention!

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-jeep-crd-resized.jpg

Indeed, times change, but icons are forever!
cpbopanna is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 14:30   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

The removal of Chrome bull bars and mesh, moving to the cleaner look in the front is tasteful, you are a custodian of a classic Jeep! Are those the same Hella lights you had earlier or are they different?
Old 14th May 2020, 16:54   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Jeep CRD - 8 years, 60,000 km later -
How is the imported Italian Hard-top holding up ?
Old 14th May 2020, 19:08   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The removal of Chrome bull bars and mesh, moving to the cleaner look in the front is tasteful, you are a custodian of a classic Jeep! Are those the same Hella lights you had earlier or are they different?
Thanks Kosfactor! I removed the chrome bull bar and mesh long ago!
Yes, it's the same Hellas that were originally fitted!
And regarding the reference to a Classic Jeep, touch wood, but I have managed it to keep it in show-room condition so far by the grace of God!
I was very keen to keep it as close to the original as possible, with only simple, subtle modifications!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
How is the imported Italian Hard-top holding up ?
4x4addict - the Italian Hard-top is living up to it's reputation! Not a niggle, not a squeak, not a drop of water leakage! There is absolutely no doubt that when one pays big bucks, the product reeks of quality!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 14th May 2020 at 19:09.
Old 15th May 2020, 12:50   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was very keen to keep it as close to the original as possible, with only simple, subtle modifications!
Yes simple and subtle mods is all it needs, I have taken cue from your thread especially since BD Sir was very involved in it and you were taking inputs from him as well. I was not a member at that time, just a casual reader. By the time I got mine in 2018 (same color), some of the mods were already done from the factory, but still I had to set the driver seat a bit high using longer bolts and some lug nuts for a 2 inch lift, a new old stock CJ bumper, a set of Neo alloys etc , but as you know its never really done

Your thread gives me confidence that with adequate care, the vehicle will outlast me!
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 19:09   #325
Senior - BHPian

Very inspiring review. Probability the best looking thar I've seen. I'm waiting for the new gen Thar and the wait seem to be eternal.
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 17:44   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Very inspiring review. Probability the best looking thar I've seen. I'm waiting for the new gen Thar and the wait seem to be eternal.
Thanks WhiteKnight!

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-wait.jpg

The camouflaged Thars doing the rounds on the net indeed look fabulous, perhaps a bit too similar to the Wrangler!
I too am awaiting the launch to see how it compares with my Jeep!
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 00:02   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Today I visited prestige automobiles in JC road, the intent was to swap the stock mirrors out with Bolero zlx like you have done. I went back home and fitted it, looks way better than stock mirrors. I'm yet to drive the vehicle afterwards but the coverage appears to be good.

I was hesitant to do this so far thinking that I may need to drill or remove the door card etc, but it was very easy DIY thanks to your thread.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 07:44   #328
BHPian

The monsoons have receded, at last! Time to take the old faithful for a spin along the lakes!

Old 18th October 2020, 23:38   #329
Senior - BHPian

This is one fabulous thread. Only other threads that have caught my fancy to such level are the '20 Thar review and two Dusters in one garage!

Love the work done on your Thar and how you have stayed away from flashy mods. I find every mod has been logical.
I just have couple questions - I noticed you switched rear seats 3 times! Which one was the best and do you regret changing any particular setup?
AND
Those Hellas mounted on the front bumper with special mounts welded for them look sweet but don't they wobble? Any reason you did not consider small bull bar and mount them upside down from that bar so that they are perfectly nestled within the bar frame?

P.S. Do you have the link to RaceChip pro2? On their homepage I do not see Mahindra.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 09:10   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
This is one fabulous thread. Only other threads that have caught my fancy to such level are the '20 Thar review and two Dusters in one garage!

Love the work done on your Thar and how you have stayed away from flashy mods. I find every mod has been logical.
I just have couple questions - I noticed you switched rear seats 3 times! Which one was the best and do you regret changing any particular setup?
AND
Those Hellas mounted on the front bumper with special mounts welded for them look sweet but don't they wobble? Any reason you did not consider small bull bar and mount them upside down from that bar so that they are perfectly nestled within the bar frame?

P.S. Do you have the link to RaceChip pro2? On their homepage I do not see Mahindra.
Thanks Amol, appreciate your kind words!

I purchased 2 Honda City seats and installed them in the front. I removed from the stock side-ways facing rear seats and replaced them with the stock bucket seats from the front. The installation was done locally in Bangalore, not correct and the passengers felt they were sitting too high! Both the seats were individually mounted on separate frames (a mistake) and they shook like crazy when the Jeep moved! Basically, it looked like a bus!

I ditched the bucket seats and went in for a 2-seater on a single frame, keeping the width low, basically to keep it from fouling the rear foot wells. However, the seat was too low (I hate seats with inadequate under-thigh support), width and depth were insufficient, and passengers could not sustain long drives!

I ditched that set-up and picked up the rear seat from a Tata Indica. I first installed it locally in Bangalore, but they screwed-up yet again. You cannot get the guys to do what YOU want in Bangalore! I drove down to my mechanic in Coorg, fabricated a proper MS angle frame and installed it above the wheel wells (it's a triple seater). Now, 2 people can sit very comfortably (I have installed seat belts for two), the seats split at 60:40, can be double folded. The floor is not flat because of the seat frame, but can hold considerable amount of luggage in-between! Head space is not great, but passengers of height upto 5'5" are comfortable over long journeys! This is the best set-up so far, hence I have stuck on to it!

There were two reasons for mounting the Hellas on an angle iron frame.

Firstly if your fog lamps (or any auxiliary lamps) are mounted below your head lamp level, no authorities will question you (you can always focus it upwards, but what is the point? The intention of these lights is to give a better view of the road and not to blind incoming traffic, isin't it?)
At this level, the lights can be beautifully focussed on the road, and along with the main head lamps, is adequate for extensive night driving on any kind of road. This also ruled out mounting on a bull bar, because the level of the fog lamps would be above or on par with the main head lights! It also spoils the focus! You may have observed that all OEM fitment of fog lamps are at bumper level!

The fog lamps mounted on a 2.5" MS angle, that is welded to the chassis are as rigid as they can get! No wobbling or shaking when driving at any speed or any surface! The further (away) the lights are mounted from the chassis, more the chances of wobbling, right?
Incidentally, I had first installed them upside-down on the original Mahindra chrome bull bar, the entire set-up looked hideous!

Race Chip has stopped selling their products for the Mahindra Thar, both on their German and American websites! Presumably due to lack of sufficient demand!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks