Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2017, 12:25   #301
BHPian

Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
I have avidly read the entire thread, chronicling the mods that you have carried out to the Thar.
==========
I understand that Mahindra's have an in-house Customisation Division that modifies the THAR and other SUVs. Have you ever contacted the guys in this division whilst you were modifying your THAR?
Hi Zezé

As you would have probably read in my thread, I use my own mechanics to customize.
Two reasons - one convert to reality exactly the plan I have in mind.
Second and most importantly, to use my mind, not theirs!

I have attached a link to their brochure - http://www.mahindra-customisation.com/brochure.html
Most designs border on the garish, whilst there MAY be one or two good ones!

I would recommend that you buy a new Thar and customize it the way YOU want!
Both the time frame and costs will be lower!

Assuming that you don't have access to good mechanics, I suggest you get in touch with WestCoast Offroad Customs - https://www.facebook.com/spartanhts/...PAGES_TIMELINE
They are Bangalore based and come with some good recommendations!

Cheers!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th July 2017 at 16:41. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
Old 5th January 2017, 14:28   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Hi Zezé
=============
======
Thanks, Bopanna, for the very prompt response.

Yes, I have seen the brochure and the designs are positively garish, to put it mildly. Guess, I will have to undertake the customising the THAR as a DIY project.

You are right in assuming that I don't have access to good mechanics, at least at this point in time. But as there are quite a few off road enthusiasts in this city who are members of this forum, I am certain that some one will point me to a good mechanic/workshop.

Alternately, I will contact West Coast. Bangalore is only a half day drive from here and will be an opportunity to 'stretch' the vehicle on a great highway.

But first, I need to get the necessary 'approvals' to buy the THAR. And, believe me, just scheduling a test drive is a hassle.

Looks like AUTOMOTIVE MANUFACTURERS PVT. LTD. who control three of the four dealerships in this city have been given NO incentive by M&M to sell the THAR.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th July 2017 at 16:41. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
Old 20th January 2017, 11:13   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Zezé

Cheers!
Finally managed to test drive the new Thar yesterday. Good experience and more importantly, received an in principle approval from the 'home ministry'.

One initial observation. As compared to the earlier version, the new Thar has a slightly 'sissy' look.

M&M appear to be caught in a quandary as to which segment of the market to appease; but then I guess this is where customisation comes into its own.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:31   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Finally managed to test drive the new Thar yesterday. Good experience and more importantly, received an in principle approval from the 'home ministry'.

One initial observation. As compared to the earlier version, the new Thar has a slightly 'sissy' look.

M&M appear to be caught in a quandary as to which segment of the market to appease; but then I guess this is where customisation comes into its own.
Congratulations on your obtaining approval from the Home Minister!

Regarding the 'sissy look', this was done to meet the new CMVR in which (amongst others) - there cannot be exposed portions of the tyres, non-metal bumpers, etc.
Fortunately, all these can be 'addressed' without reaching out to Mahindra Customization!

Just ditch the original bumpers, fender flares and go in for some good after-marker off-road bumpers, Mahindra's own beefy-looking fender flares.
I would not recommend changing the steel wheels to alloys either, just add wheel spacers (adapters) at the rear to 'correct' the absurd difference in wheel track.

With a budget of around 50k, your Jeep will start looking 'butch'

Last edited by cpbopanna : 20th January 2017 at 11:37.
Old 20th January 2017, 12:03   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your obtaining approval from the Home Minister!

======
Congratulations are certainly in order.

Wasn't planning to reach out to Mahindra Customisation, in any case. Instead, was planning a DIY project with assistance from 'veterans', like you.

But be warned. I am all thumbs when it comes to things mechanical, so I might ask very rudimentary questions.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th July 2017 at 16:42. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 18:47   #306
BHPian

Quote:
I would not recommend changing the steel wheels to alloys either, just add wheel spacers (adapters) at the rear to 'correct' the absurd difference in wheel track.
I would too recommend not changing the wheels but the spacers also spoil the ride. I have them on mine and the ride is too bouncy over bumps and the vehicle tends to wander when you shoot them on bumps at speed. I have to tackle them at an angle for the vehicle to go unperturbed.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 07:14   #307
BHPian

Quote:
An update after almost two years!
Installed 2" MS wheel adapters on my rear wheels yesterday. Has changed the stance of the Jeep considerably. Cannot comment on dynamics since I only had a short city run.
Driving Bangalore-Vellore-Bangalore tomorrow, 400+ km. Should be able to give feed back on (changed) driving characteristics and upload along some pictures!
Are you sure that the spacers are 2 inches thick? Wouldn't a total of 4 inches push the rear track outside a little more than required?

I understand that a stock thar crde has a semi-floating rear axle. The thar di too (the variant which is less off-roaded but frequently overloaded) is supposed to have semi-floating setup at the rear, but the centre part of the rear hubs look different in these two models.

I have noticed some mahindra pik-ups having a thar crde like looking axle (the hubs, seen from the side of the vehicle). Does it mean that the thar crde rear axle will take the same kind of abuse that the pik-up sees?

Have also seen that the rear hubs in of some of the pik-ups are jutting out like the front hubs. Is it suggestive of a full-floating rear axle? Then why different axle setups on various pik-up models? If some of the pik-ups are having a full-floating rear axle, would it be a direct transplant on the thar crde?

Too many questions , would've shot these at db sir, had he been with us.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th July 2017 at 16:43. Reason: edited post for better readability
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 15:40   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Are you sure that the spacers are 2 inches thick? Wouldn't a total of 4 inches push the rear track outside a little more than required? I understand that a stock thar crde has a semi-floating rear axle. The thar di too (the variant which is less off-roaded but frequently overloaded) is supposed to have semi-floating setup at the rear, but the centre part of the rear hubs look different in these two models. I have noticed some mahindra pik-ups having a thar crde like looking axle (the hubs, seen from the side of the vehicle). Does it mean that the thar crde rear axle will take the same kind of abuse that the pik-up sees? Have also seen that the rear hubs in of some of the pik-ups are jutting out like the front hubs. Is it suggestive of a full-floating rear axle? Then why different axle setups on various pik-up models? If some of the pik-ups are having a full-floating rear axle, would it be a direct transplant on the thar crde? Too many questions , would've shot these at db sir, had he been with us.
Sorry, just saw your post!

The 2" spacers push the rear wheels a wee-bit more than the front, gives a good stance to the vehicle and improves the handling manifold!

Yes, the Thar CRDe has semi-floating axles at the rear and if one is a frequent off-roader or is planning to hitch a trailer, spacers are not recommended.

The Mahindra Pic-up and the earlier generation CJ-640s have full-floating rear axles, hence the jutting-out hubs at the rear!
Yes, the full-floating rear axles can handle a lot of abuse.
The Pic-up and the erstwhile CJ 640/NC 665 etc were designed as load carriers whereas the Thars are basically passenger vehicles.

If you look at the specifications, the load carrying capacities of the rear axles are as follows:
1) Thar CRDe - 1700 kg
2) Thar Di - 1200 Kg

Transplanting a FFRA to a Thar is not that easy, it calls for total re-engineering, torque handling capacities of the FFRA (the Thar has a higher torque remember?), the position of the differential (left/right), the reduction at the differential, etc!
Please check on the forum if someone has done that!

Cheers!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 16:25   #309
BHPian

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-fifth-birthday.jpg

My Jeep CRD after his 5th birthday!
cpbopanna is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 07:27   #310
BHPian

Quote:

You really lavish lots of attention on your 5 year old.

Looking at the pics posted, the Jeep looks as good as new. Correction, much better than a brand new Thar rolling out of a showroom.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 07:47   #311
BHPian

Quote:
You really lavish lots of attention on your 5 year old.

Looking at the pics posted, the Jeep looks as good as new. Correction, much better than a brand new Thar rolling out of a showroom.
What a beautiful message to wake up to Zezé! Thank you very much! 😊

Just to share a thought, I believe in maintaining my vehicles just like I look after my family - remember, our lives are in the hands of our vehicles when we travel at regular/high speeds for hours together; forget an error of judgement, one mechanical failure can cost us our lives!

So I leave no stone unturned in maintenance and in more cases than not, go beyond the manufacturers recommendations! No regrets so far!
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 11:54   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1654299

Can't call him "gorgeous" as that would make it a bit "sissy". I have always been a fan of your thread. The 5 year pictures practically look as if they are the same ones from the time you were posting the pictures of your custom imported hard-top installation. Stunning job of maintaining the vehicle. If one buys a car, this is the care that he/she should indeed take of it. Amazing really.

I'm sure this is the BEST maintained & cared for Thar. One lucky machine that.
Congratulations CP & wish you unlimited more years with the Thar.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 12:04   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Can't call him "gorgeous" as that would make it a bit "sissy". I have always been a fan of your thread. The 5 year pictures practically look as if they are the same ones from the time you were posting the pictures of your custom imported hard-top installation. Stunning job of maintaining the vehicle. If one buys a car, this is the care that he/she should indeed take of it. Amazing really.

I'm sure this is the BEST maintained & cared for Thar. One lucky machine that.
Congratulations CP & wish you unlimited more years with the Thar.
Thank you very much Reinhard, you made me blush (pun intended)!
Really appreciate your kind words!
Old 3rd September 2017, 20:04   #314

Team - Another guy among the long list of enthusiasts who is bit by the bug from many years and finally taking a plunge. My lease on Mahindra Scorpio ended this month and finally decided to go in for Thar. Test drive has not much to offer as I already made up my mind. One tricky situation I' am in is that I am taking Thar on lease and hence I cannot make any modifications other than the M&M guys do.

Your thar is one of the best one's I have seen and I really love your hard top and not sure if the mahindra customization offer the same one and the cost involved. I' am good putting in some good money on the modifications but it is going to be primary city vehicle with occasional rides around the country. Wanted to know based on your experience which mahindra modifications you would suggest? Any inputs from this group of enthusiasts is much appreciated.
Old 5th September 2017, 18:35   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenkatMunukutla View Post
...Your thar is one of the best one's I have seen and I really love your hard top and not sure if the mahindra customization offer the same one and the cost involved. I' am good putting in some good money on the modifications but it is going to be primary city vehicle with occasional rides around the country. Wanted to know based on your experience which mahindra modifications you would suggest? Any inputs from this group of enthusiasts is much appreciated.
Thanks Venkat

I don't think Mahindra Customization has much to offer other than front and rear bumpers. Their hard-top is pretty good, but at close to Rs. 1.50 Lakhs, the Italian hard top is any day a better bet!

Once you decide on a hard top, you might want to consider accessories like central locking and power windows; else they don't make sense either!

The (engines and gearboxes) in the new Thars are pretty smooth and I guess even the brake issue has been addressed - I drove a new Thar a week ago and came out pretty impressed!
However, the disjointed feel continues; it is after all an MM 540 with better mechanicals, but the (lack of) body rigidity continues to prevail!

And if I were you, I would definitely install wheel adapters (spacers) on the rear axle; the difference with and without them is overwhelming!

Cheers!
cpbopanna is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks