Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 22:41   #211
BHPian

Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
How did you find out the gains,is it given on the box? How to check wether I have the upgraded brakes or no ? mine is a July 2013 model ?
These are figures from their website for the Race Chip Pro 2, I haven't checked power or torque on a dynamometer!

As of now, the Thars come with regular brakes.
If rumour mills are to be believed, the Thar 2014 (due somewhere in March 14) will come with an MHakh engine and upgraded brakes!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 21:32   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
These are figures from their website for the Race Chip Pro 2, I haven't checked power or torque on a dynamometer!
Do you plan to measure it accurately? Curious to know the actual figures.
What about mileage? Improved/reduced/remained same?
Old 6th November 2013, 22:37   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post
Do you plan to measure it accurately? Curious to know the actual figures.
What about mileage? Improved/reduced/remained same?
No, I don't intend to measure the actual torque or power. I am quite happy with the surge in power.

I shall check fuel efficiency on a full-tank to full-tank basis and advise! Doubtful if there will be an improvement in mileage, the torque is addictive, tend to go pedal-to-metal often!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 14:37   #214
BHPian

Cpbopanna,

I've been a big fan of the thread and it played a big part in my decision of buying a Thar. Now that I'm a newly minted member, this is my first chance to post a thank you, and a question .

I've ordered the SA Roll Bar through the Mahindra Parts department. Everything has arrived successfully. However, the bracket that Behram has mentioned below can not be identified by the part number given. Do you, or anyone else, know if there is a different part number for this piece or if I just have to make it myself.

Also, I'm eager to know your thoughts on the fuel economy after installing the Race Chip (after you run it some). I have a daily commute of 150km in the Thar and any little bump I can get is a wonderful bonus.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
There is also one more bracket for which the part number is RVM3503 and its name is Lamiera Piegata. This is the bracket which supports the targa band from the center of the South Africa roll over bar. Rajith - this is the bracket I told you to do locally.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by showboat : 7th November 2013 at 14:56.
Old 7th November 2013, 22:45   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
Cpbopanna,

I've been a big fan of the thread and it played a big part in my decision of buying a Thar. Now that I'm a newly minted member, this is my first chance to post a thank you, and a question .

I've ordered the SA Roll Bar through the Mahindra Parts department. Everything has arrived successfully. However, the bracket that Behram has mentioned below can not be identified by the part number given. Do you, or anyone else, know if there is a different part number for this piece or if I just have to make it myself.

Also, I'm eager to know your thoughts on the fuel economy after installing the Race Chip (after you run it some). I have a daily commute of 150km in the Thar and any little bump I can get is a wonderful bonus.
Showboat, thanks!
The bracket that BD mentioned is not available in India, I had mine fabricated!
The intended purpose of the Race Chip Pro 2 is to increase power and torque. Increase of fuel efficiency (if any), is just a minor side effect!
Probably if you managed to keep the revs under control, you might manage to achieve the published fuel consumption reduction of 1 Litre/100 km - which is not much!

In any case, I would not recommend installation of a Race Chip for the first one year:
One - you lose your warranty and
Two - the engine would not have properly bedded-in and may result in premature stress/failure.
Old 8th November 2013, 11:47   #216
Senior - BHPian

Looks to be another very useful upgrade. The complaints of many owners about the low end torque, which is a necessity in certain situations, seems to be addressed.
Your thread is a perfect example of taking the THAR to that level which is actually the dream for many. So whats coming next?
Rumor of mhawk in THAR is doing the rounds for some time now. I guess it is going to further increase the price of the vehicle.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 14:59   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Looks to be another very useful upgrade. The complaints of many owners about the low end torque, which is a necessity in certain situations, seems to be addressed.
Your thread is a perfect example of taking the THAR to that level which is actually the dream for many. So whats coming next?.
Just three more changes - spacers for the rear wheels (to equalize the front and rear wheel tracks), new foot-boards (side-steps) and neck restraints + side-bolsters for the rear seats (to make the rear very comfortable and safe)!

I guess with this I would have reached the end of my mods (and my money) and the original Thar look!

In retrospect, with the money I have spent do far, I could have easily bought a pre-owned Merc or Beemer instead, but they would not have grabbed as many eyeballs as my Jeep CRD!
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 21:44   #218
BHPian

Jeep CRD: Race Chip Pro 2 + Upgraded Brakes

Went for a long drive in the city today.

The surge of torque reminded me of a Hurricane engined CJ-3B on steroids! (Read: normally aspirated petrol engine)

The look on the faces of fellow motorists when I took-off from a signal lights had me grinning from ear-to-ear
All in all, I think I decided right in going in for the brake upgrade followed by Race Chip Pro 2 installation!

A couple of pictures before the sun disappeared into the horizon!
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-thar-frontside-1.jpg Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-thar-rear-closeup-1.jpg
cpbopanna is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 15:03   #219
BHPian

Jeep CRD - Bangalore - Mysore and back

My Jeep finally got a chance to stretch his legs after the Race Chip Pro 2 installation and Brake upgrade!
(It's a he, not a she! Remember the first Bajaj Pulsar ad?)

Parameters:

1) Total driving distance - 310 km
2) Average speed - 60 kmph
3) Air-conditioner use - 100%
4) Driving style - rapid take-off from standstill with slick up-shifts, followed by fast driving (rpm range 2500 to 3000)
5) Braking - progressive (except in 2 panic situations)

Observations:

1) Average fuel efficiency (full-tank to full-tank) - 10.7 kmpl
2) Oodles of torque available from around 1200 rpm, no need to down-shift to 1st on any road hump.
3) Past 1500 - 1700 rpm, there is absolutely no need to come down by a cog in overdrive even in moderately heavy traffic
4) Smooth acceleration across the rev range
5) The Jeep begs for a 6th gear!
6) The engine beat sounds more purposeful and aggressive - perhaps just my imagination!
7) Braking is top-class, no more hesitation and the tendency to swing/sway on hard braking is non-existent.

Conclusion:

Whilst I do not want to justify the Race Chip Pro 2 (though expensive - it has indeed altered the driving dynamics substantially), the upgraded brakes are a necessity.
I had two panic braking situations thanks to our ever-present cattle on the highways. However, my Jeep handled both with aplomb!

The original Thar might hate Tar, but my Jeep CRD is 'King of the Road'!

P.S. To drive this Jeep sedately requires tremendous will-power!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 14th November 2013 at 15:24.
cpbopanna is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 19:16   #220
BHPian

Re: Jeep CRD - Bangalore - Mysore and back

Quote:
P.S. To drive this Jeep sedately requires tremendous will-power!
I have driven my thar for 25k Kms with Racechip (not the pro). Each time you take off, it brings a smile.

Stock ECU should come with this mapping.
BlackRaven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 11:10   #221
BHPian

Quote:
My Jeep finally got a chance to stretch his legs after the Race Chip Pro 2 installation and Brake upgrade!
Thank you for your spec by spec detail observation on the recent mods. I am baffled at what all is being achieved by the b'lore thar group. I am itching to bring my Thar to the that level done by you, but the grapes are unfortunately very sour for me!

The ASC here in the Northeast cannot even resolve a typical Thar problem, let alone understand what the race chip pro 2 will do to the jeep.

I am not going to further add insult talking about the ASC, as it avails only blank glances. Just that there aren't many people here who would be equipped to undertake such mods either. Till next time whenever that occurs, if I drive down to b'lore, I will surely have all of these mods on my jeep.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!
Trueintrepid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 17:07   #222
BHPian

Brilliant Log! I thoroughly enjoyed the metamorphosis your vehicle underwent.

It's after a long time that I read a thread from beginning to end in one sitting!

Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to more logs.

Tassem.

P.S - I'm glad you didn't resort to christening your jeep a beast or a green mamba or something along those lines and stuck to Jeep CRD. Simple, elegant and understated. Just like your vehicle.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 18:29   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Brilliant Log! I thoroughly enjoyed the metamorphosis your vehicle underwent.

It's after a long time that I read a thread from beginning to end in one sitting!

Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to more logs.

Tassem.

P.S - I'm glad you didn't resort to christening your jeep a beast or a green mamba or something along those lines and stuck to Jeep CRD. Simple, elegant and understated. Just like your vehicle.
Thanks Tassem!

It is inspiration from people like you that drives me towards such subtle changes!
Anyway, I think I have almost reached the end of the road as far as the mods are concerned!
Old 23rd November 2013, 00:32   #224
BANNED

Bopanna me again, can u please tell me where did u manage to get the JEEP decals from. Have tried high n low with no luck.
Old 23rd November 2013, 06:49   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
Bopanna me again, can u please tell me where did u manage to get the JEEP decals from. Have tried high n low with no luck.
That's an original Jeep decal I bought at a Jeep dealership in Zurich, Switzerland! The ones available through eBay are basically replicas not of the same quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks