Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:27   #136
BHPian

Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoy View Post
Did you do padding for the tailgate? Can you put some pictures please.

Yes Renoy, I have padded the tail-gate, shall post pictures later during the day, when I return home. I don't use my Jeep for daily travel to office, you see..
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:09   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Yes Renoy, I have padded the tail-gate, shall post pictures later during the day, when I return home. I don't use my Jeep for daily travel to office, you see..
Thanks Bopanna! I can't figure how the rattling on the hard top rear door will go by padding the tail gate. Anyways looking forward to seeing the pictures
Old 4th April 2013, 12:20   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoy View Post
Thanks Bopanna! I can't figure how the rattling on the hard top rear door will go by padding the tail gate. Anyways looking forward to seeing the pictures
Renoy

Please see the pictures below. Normally, the rear door of the Hard top is pressed and kept in place by the tail gate, but the unfinished (inside surface of the )tail-gate allows the rear door of the hard top to rattle.

Once the tail-gate is padded, the pressing surface becomes thicker and holds the rear door of the hard top in place. Most importantly, the tail gate's looks are enhanced considerable!
Attached Thumbnails
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-rear-door-pad.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-rear-door-lock.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-rear-door-half-opened.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-hinged-door-hard-top.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-tail-gate-pressing.jpg  

cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 16:36   #139
BHPian

Project - Improvement of seats

After fitting the Honda City seats up-from, ingress into the rear from in-between the seats had become a major problem. In addition, I found the front seats themselves were a bit too low for my liking.

Two changes were planned

1. Raise the driver's seat by 2" in the front and 1' in the rear. The seat frame was modified accordingly - the driver's seat is now ultra-comfortable!

2. The area under the tool box (below the front passenger's seat) is rust prone. In all my Jeeps, I have removed the tool box. So I removed the tool box in the current Jeep, and as expected, water stagnation marks were seen inside (uncovered holes at the bottom!). I have designed a new frame for the passenger seat, and made it foldable. WIP pictures are posted, there has been a slight change after the picture was taken, the seat is now hinged at the RHS side and not at the front. Two clips hold the seat in place, when in position. P.S. The new frame has been fixed to pre-existing holes on the floor, probably provided for seat fixing in the LHD export models!

Shall post detailed pictures shortly! I have posted close-up pictures of recently modified rear bench seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-rear-seat-frame.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-rear-seat.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-rear-seat-2.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-amp-fitten-driver-seat-frame.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-tool-box-removed.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-foldable-lhs-passenger-seat.jpg  

Last edited by cpbopanna : 10th April 2013 at 16:47. Reason: Additional info..
cpbopanna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 11:30   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some juicy pictures of the Jeep Wrangler, at a dealership in Zurich. Just ordered for a pair of Wrangler rear lights for my Jeep, after the redesign of the rear bumpers, my vehicle shall be more Jeep than Thar! :-)
your jeep looks much better than the wrangler posted, well just my thought

As per our discussion, I have changed my rear seats with qualis front 2 seater with armrests on the wheel arches and head-rests, now they are ultra comfortable and feels very good with about 7 in gap between head and roof with 5'6" person sitting

Last edited by raj.barcode : 12th April 2013 at 11:34.
raj.barcode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 13:45   #141
BHPian

Hi Vikram!
It was a pleasure meeting with you and your amazing Thar yesterday! I managed to read your thread in totality today and must compliment you once again on the efforts that you have put in on your Thar (shall I say Jeep?) project. You seem to be pretty restless and a perfectionist! I mean that as a compliment. I shall stay tuned to your thread and look forward to catching up with you again.
Cheers!
Srikanth
Old 27th April 2013, 16:37   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo View Post
Hi Vikram!
It was a pleasure meeting with you and your amazing Thar yesterday! I managed to read your thread in totality today and must compliment you once again on the efforts that you have put in on your Thar (shall I say Jeep?) project. You seem to be pretty restless and a perfectionist! I mean that as a compliment. I shall stay tuned to your thread and look forward to catching up with you again.
Cheers!
Srikanth
Thanks Srikanth!
The pleasure (of meeting you) was all mine! Let's keep in touch.
BTW, your Skoda Suberb TSi is a beast in its own right, and a suave one at that!
Cheers! Vikram
Old 14th May 2013, 23:16   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Project - Improvement of seats

Quote:
Shall post detailed pictures shortly! I have posted close-up pictures of recently modified rear bench seat.
Are the modifications complete? Eagerly awaiting your update!
Old 16th May 2013, 19:29   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Are the modifications complete? Eagerly awaiting your update!
Sorry Dry Ice, the modifications are complete (for now), however just had time to click a teaser image before the sun went down!
Attached Thumbnails
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-jeep.jpg  

cpbopanna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 21:58   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Dry Ice, the modifications are complete (for now), however just had time to click a teaser image before the sun went down!
Looking good! The number placement is great, wonder why M&M didn't think of this.

The Jeep logo looks perfect as well! Awaiting the full set of pics now.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 14:15   #146
BHPian

Had a chance to drive down to Mysore during the week-end in a downpour! The hard-top is indeed world-class, other than the noise from the rains, nothing else could be heard inside, no leaks - thank God!
A YouTube video link attached -

Attached are a few pictures of the foldable LHS front seat, ICE installed, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-folding-lhs-front-seat.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-jeep-foldable-seat-1.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-front-seats.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-frontrear-seats.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-ice.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-rear-view.jpg  

Old 26th May 2013, 11:28   #147
BHPian

Jeep Wrangler Mark 2..further mods, rear bumper redesigned yet again (so that the rear sticks out a wee bit), tail-light guards fabricated and installed (to prevent accidental damage from careless bike riders) high mount centre brake light and rear fog lamp added..updating pictures soon..
Old 29th May 2013, 21:21   #148
BHPian

I wonder if any Thar owners faced a problem with the factory fitted air conditioner.
I had this problem of 'hunting', the air conditioner repeatedly going on and off.
This has three detrimental effects - it is absolutely irritating, the relay chatters when the air-con goes on and off repeatedly and can have premature failure and last and not the least, ineffective cooling.
I tried changing the temperature control knob on the dash board, but it did not help.
After doing a root-case analysis I realized that the thermistor (the temperature sensor which senses the temperature in the cabin and decides to run the compressor or cut it off) was improperly placed.
In a stock Thar, the thermistor is mounted on the cooling coil(behind the dash board). What happens is that the moment the air-con is switched on, the cooling coil obviously cools immediately and the thermistor senses the cool temperature and cuts off the compressor when in fact the cabin had not cooled down. In the next few minutes, the thermistor senses high temperature (because the cabin had not cooled down and the cooling coil is not cold) and starts the compressor.
This cycle goes on endlessly!
I came out with a simple solution, removed the thermistor from the cooling coil and attached it to another location under the dash board where it can actually sense the cabin temperature.
Voila! The compressor does not cut-off unnecessarily, the cabin really chills and the thermostat can actually be used to control the temperature and not just an air-con on-off knob!
The procedure is not that simple though, the entire dash board needed to be dismantled before the cooling coil and the thermistor can be accessed!
The entire procedure took 4 hours, but I feel it's worth the effort.
The exercise was carried out at Chrome Motors, Mysore Road, Bangalore
cpbopanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 22:52   #149
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder if any Thar owners faced a problem with the factory fitted air conditioner.
I had this problem of 'hunting', the air conditioner repeatedly going on and off.
This has three detrimental effects - it is absolutely irritating, the relay chatters when the air-con goes on and off repeatedly and can have premature failure and last and not the least, ineffective cooling.
I tried changing the temperature control knob on the dash board, but it did not help.
After doing a root-case analysis I realized that the thermistor (the temperature sensor which senses the temperature in the cabin and decides to run the compressor or cut it off) was improperly placed.
In a stock Thar, the thermistor is mounted on the cooling coil(behind the dash board). What happens is that the moment the air-con is switched on, the cooling coil obviously cools immediately and the thermistor senses the cool temperature and cuts off the compressor when in fact the cabin had not cooled down. In the next few minutes, the thermistor senses high temperature (because the cabin had not cooled down and the cooling coil is not cold) and starts the compressor.
This cycle goes on endlessly!
I came out with a simple solution, removed the thermistor from the cooling coil and attached it to another location under the dash board where it can actually sense the cabin temperature.
Voila! The compressor does not cut-off unnecessarily, the cabin really chills and the thermostat can actually be used to control the temperature and not just an air-con on-off knob!
The procedure is not that simple though, the entire dash board needed to be dismantled before the cooling coil and the thermistor can be accessed!
The entire procedure took 4 hours, but I feel it's worth the effort.
The exercise was carried out at Chrome Motors, Mysore Road, Bangalore
Have just uploaded 2 pictures, the thermistor and the dismantled dash board.
Mods: Please merge the two posts into one, there appears to be a problem with team-bhp Android application, the program crashes each time I try to upload images!
Attached Thumbnails
Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-thermistor.jpg  

Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe-dismantled-dash-board.jpg  

Last edited by cpbopanna : 29th May 2013 at 23:01.
Old 30th May 2013, 20:28   #150
BHPian

Never faced any such problems actually my ac worked like a charm in this summer better than i20 I should say

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks