Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 11:47   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Call of the wild - Mahindra Thar CRDe

Great looking HT. The fit and finish is clearly visible from the pics. Seems worth the price of the HT. Though the extra money paid in duties and other expenses with the customs might be a deterrent for this.

All in all. I bet you're a happy man. That is one good looking Thar!

So in this HT, the rear is removable. Is the front top permanently fixed?
Old 17th October 2012, 11:59   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Thank you Renoy

I have used my Jeep for a very short drive after installing the Hard Top.

It's too early to judge, but it appears absolutely noiseless inside, almost like a car!

Further, the infamous 'Targa' band is well supported, both by the Hard Top and the South African roll over cage, hence no door rattles!

Regarding the buying of Hard Tops in bulk, I had posted earlier on the forum, there was no response!

I have been checking your thread literally everyday to see whether you have received the hard top and to hear your feedback on the same. There is Sanva Motors in Mumbai making a replica of the Italian hard top which Mahindra may market as an accessory but that comes no where close to the Italian version. I was waiting to buy the Italian one after I see yours installed as my Thar is also the same colour.

I am based in Dubai and was considering the option of importing them to Dubai and then sending via door to door cargo service so the buyer will not have to worry about customs clearence in India and would get the hard top delivered at their door step. But unless we have 6 buyers can't keep the price down to 1.45lakhs.

By the way are the windows of the hard top tinted?
Old 17th October 2012, 12:13   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
Thanks for the prompt response. Could you also please share information on how you went about procuring the SA Roll over cage? I have read your previous post with the accessory numbers, but did not find this information.
You can place the order at India Garage, St. Marks Road, Bangalore. Mr. Chandra Shekar, Head of Spare Parts will help you with the process.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 15:04   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Great looking HT. The fit and finish is clearly visible from the pics. Seems worth the price of the HT. Though the extra money paid in duties and other expenses with the customs might be a deterrent for this.

All in all. I bet you're a happy man. That is one good looking Thar!

So in this HT, the rear is removable. Is the front top permanently fixed?
Navpreet

Thank you, I am indeed a happy man (with the looks, fit & finish, NOT the price)
The front of the Hard Top is fixed, can be removed, but not advisable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoy View Post
I have been checking your thread literally everyday to see whether you have received the hard top and to hear your feedback on the same. There is Sanva Motors in Mumbai making a replica of the Italian hard top which Mahindra may market as an accessory but that comes no where close to the Italian version. I was waiting to buy the Italian one after I see yours installed as my Thar is also the same colour.

I am based in Dubai and was considering the option of importing them to Dubai and then sending via door to door cargo service so the buyer will not have to worry about customs clearence in India and would get the hard top delivered at their door step. But unless we have 6 buyers can't keep the price down to 1.45lakhs.

By the way are the windows of the hard top tinted?
Yes, the (three) windows of the Hard top are tinted.
I doubt if your routing of cargo through Dubai will avoid the Import Duty. Please check with someone before attempting that!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 17th October 2012 at 15:06.
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 15:27   #95

Quote:
Navpreet

Thank you, I am indeed a happy man (with the looks, fit & finish, NOT the price)
The front of the Hard Top is fixed, can be removed, but not advisable.

Yes, the (three) windows of the Hard top are tinted.
I doubt if your routing of cargo through Dubai will avoid the Import Duty. Please check with someone before attempting that!
Yes a 5% customs duty will be charged in Dubai and for the door to door cargo service to India they charge per kg which is inclusive of clearing & customs duty. So once you hand over the cargo to them it is their responsibility to clear and deliver to the recipient and it does not take more than 2 weeks for the same.
Old 28th October 2012, 07:42   #96
BHPian

this hardtop looks fabulous on the thar. i am planning on ordering one after seeing your thar. thank you for posting pictures of your thar with the italian hardtop
johny_desparado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 19:14   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attached details in an Excel Format
Thanks for excel sheet on the brake upgrade.
But should this be done from a local garage, or is mahindra service centre the way to go?
Any idea on pricing for entire upgrade?
Old 18th November 2012, 19:23   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Ihe Italian Job - Completed pictures
Thank you for the pictures Bopanna.

Can you pl post the following pictures too?

1 Headroom in the front two seats.
2. Headroom in the rear seats.
3. With 2 people sitting in the rear bench.
4. Accessing the rear bench to go in.
5. The amount of luggage space with all 4 seats occupied.
6. A video if possible of driving the Thar from inside with the windows rolled up and the ac on to assess the amount of insulation provided by the hard top.

Waiting eagerly..
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2012, 20:54   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath
Thank you for the pictures Bopanna.

Can you pl post the following pictures too?

1 Headroom in the front two seats.
2. Headroom in the rear seats.
3. With 2 people sitting in the rear bench.
4. Accessing the rear bench to go in.
5. The amount of luggage space with all 4 seats occupied.
6. A video if possible of driving the Thar from inside with the windows rolled up and the ac on to assess the amount of insulation provided by the hard top.

Waiting eagerly..
Hi Devdath
How I wish you had written earlier!
For a change, I used my Thar for the whole of today (wherein I could have taken all the required pictures and videos)!
I am travelling from tomorrow until 02 nd Dec, if time permits, I shall take a couple of pictures and videos in-between.
Talking about head room, its more than adequate at the front (remember I have Honda City seats which have been fixed an inch lower).
At the rear, the stock front buckets are a wee bit too tall, just right for kids. I am planning to redesign the frame and lower the seats by 3".
Luggage space at the rear with 4 seats occupied is lesser than that of a Swift.
However, I have just installed my ICE comprising 2 front door speakers, 2 rear oval speakers, an amp, a massive sub-woofer, a single DIN head unit and a graphic equalizer, 2 tweeters on the dash board.
The sound quality is awesome, but luggage space is limited to 2 shopping bags!
The insulation provided by the FRP is more than adequate, it almost freezes inside if the air-con thermostat is at the full position!
After running for a few hundred kilometers, the bolts and nuts of the hard top will require a round of tightening.
Regards,
Bopanna
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 11:03   #100
BHPian

Hi Bopanna,

Did you get your brakes upgrade done at a Mahindra dealer or from outside? I did a highway ride with my Thar (Chennai - Mumbai) this weekend. While accelration and speed were great, there were 2-3 instances when I realized the inadequacy of the braking. Looking at doing the brakes upgrade as first thing when I get back to Chennai. Have downloaded your excel and will get a printout. Any specific things to keep a watch on while doing the upgrade ?

Thanks
Siva
Old 29th November 2012, 12:35   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Targa band is the B Pillar, end-to-end, and part of any Jeep (540/550/Thar). It is easy to attach the Targa band to 3 points in the South African roll-over cage, there is a provision on the top, plus seat belt mounting points on both the sides can be used. However, I am not aware if the Indian roll-over cage has a similar provision. Maybe BD can clarify!
Dear C P Bopanna - hello after quite some time, I just saw your thread and this post. Yes, one of the ways to "Silence the Infamous Targa Band" is to do what you have done, by using these "passive" facilities available on the South Africa rollover bar and the B pillar. Actually these are alternate seat belt mounting points, as homologated for alternate markets. The vehicle will be as silent as any car and will outperform most of them. .

I have no contribution in doing the "other" rollover bar (apart from one fight in a meeting where nobody listened). It is a joke in any case, so don't even bother. You have come closest to what I would have done in my Thar, so thank you. I would have painted the hard top with PU based paint in a shiny black color before assembling. "Jeep" plates at both sides would complete the subtle and balanced but very menacing look. Change the rear number plate location and please throw away those rear bumperettes, they are a complete eyesore!

Dear K Shivaa - please do the booster upgradation. Rajith has done in Bangalore, he will be delighted to guide you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 21:09   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear K Shivaa - please do the booster upgradation. Rajith has done in Bangalore, he will be delighted to guide you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DB Sir, would it be possible to point me to the right source in Mumbai for brakes upgrade. I will soon be proud owner of Rocky beige Thar.

Regards
Milind
Old 13th December 2012, 16:19   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
DB Sir, would it be possible to point me to the right source in Mumbai for brakes upgrade. I will soon be proud owner of Rocky beige Thar. Regards Milind
Dear Milind - I am in Mumbai only on weekends as Mumbai is my home. Work keeps me in Pune for the whole week. Please send me your mobile number by PM, I'll call you and guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 20:14   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Milind - I am in Mumbai only on weekends as Mumbai is my home. Work keeps me in Pune for the whole week. Please send me your mobile number by PM, I'll call you and guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks you DB sir. Weekends are the once that I get too, as Office and home takes half of the time that you might be taking to reach Pune. . I travel from Vile-Parle to Mahape.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a while.
Old 16th December 2012, 17:42   #105
BHPian

Hello Db sir,
I wish to get the brakes upgraded as well from bangalore . Is there any way i can get this individual's contact number or garage address please .

thank you

Most Viewed