Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2012, 17:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Venu Bhai, I may just fly down to Hyd to see this duel.

Avi the underdog....ticket bhejo!

O.T. talking of taking Santra to 140 with ease, Venu Bhai, I remember the time when we drove to Srisailam and you showed a lot of us a thing or two about efforless yet fast driving in your fiesta. I was riding shotgun with HRH RR in his Dhanno on that trip and i remember marvelling at your smooth driving style.

Avi as ususal, was "gone in 60 seconds "
Aaah, that was one of the best drives we'd had! I do remember HRH-RR chasing me. I also had a good duel with Ravvs and his Palio 1.6, but when the road got bad, had to slow down and let him pass----after all my car was a wee bit new then.

And yes, we are all waiting to watch the clash of the Titans in the next drive meet.
Old 27th August 2012, 17:44   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post

2. Dual Mass clutches are heavy...
Why is that???

My TSi has a DMF and the clutch is extremely light. On the other hand the Tucson has a single mass flywheel and the clutch is not as light. I have been driving a friend's Octy TPi (since Decemeber 2006) and the clutch is as light as the TSi.

Most of the reviews of the new Cruze also state that it now has a DMF and hence clutch has become easier to operate...

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 27th August 2012 at 17:49.
Old 27th August 2012, 18:04   #33
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Congrats ML (again). So finally you penned your buying and ownership report.
Where is the RS now Del or Hybd ?
Also was the Aircon issue (Leaves) resolved ?

Drive Safe
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 18:05   #34
BHPian

ML, I am running 30 psi as recommended by skoda. To recheck open your fuel lid, the Tyre pressure is written in bars. Then you just convert it.
P.S. It says 2.2 BAR if carrying 2 passengers a d 2.4 BAR if carrying 4. Which comes to around 30

Also if there was a race between a stock cruze vs a stock octi vRS. The vRS would win hands down. The cruze and vRS both have 150 horses under their hood but the cruze has 327 nm torque vs 210 nm of the vRS. On the other hand the vRS is 200 kgs lighter AND it's a petrol. Where the power of the cruze will end at 5-5.5k the octi will pull strong till at least 6.5k.
But if the vRS is running with a drives it will have a problem keeping grip. With S-Drives it should kill the cruze.

P.S. I love the cruze if I had to buy a diesel sedan in the 13-17L range I would get the cruze not the Laura.
Old 27th August 2012, 18:08   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Congrats ML (again). So finally you penned your buying and ownership report.
Where is the RS now Del or Hybd ?
Also was the Aircon issue (Leaves) resolved ?

Drive Safe
Thanks V&V - Well the Aircon leaves issue has not appeared again - i have not done anything on that so far, the car is in Hyderabad. Hope you and your ride have been well.

Best - ML.
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 18:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Why is that???

My TSi has a DMF and the clutch is extremely light. On the other hand the Tucson has a single mass flywheel and the clutch is not as light. I have been driving a friend's Octy TPi (since Decemeber 2006) and the clutch is as light as the TSi.

Most of the reviews of the new Cruze also state that it now has a DMF and hence clutch has become easier to operate...

Cheers!
Anand,

This is purely based on my experience. I have moved from DMF to single mass on my diesel Octy and it is much easy to drive than the DMF on my RS.

Cheers,
Ardy
Ardy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 19:32   #37
BHPian

Congrats FinGuru, atlast we get to see vRS in action. Good to see your car finally landing in Hyderabad. Especially after the agonizing wait for so long and the spate of mails to decide if you were to drive it down to Hyderabad or ship it. I know, some people here missed the drive from Delhi to Hyderabad in your vRS.
traveloholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 11:20   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anand,

This is purely based on my experience. I have moved from DMF to single mass on my diesel Octy and it is much easy to drive than the DMF on my RS.

Cheers,
Ardy
Ardy,

Did you change only the flywheel or the clutch plate, release bearing, etc as well?

Anand
Old 28th August 2012, 12:32   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye

I have been driving a friend's Octy TPi (since Decemeber 2006) and the clutch is as light as the TSi.
Cheers!
I test drove 6 octy VRS cars before finalized on the one that I bought, I have also driven Ardy's VRS, I have found all of them to have a heavier feel clutch wise in comparison to the TSI. I believe clutch wise the TPI and VRS should be the same (please correct me if my underlying assumption is inaccurate), so my question to you - the TPI that you drive, does that have mechanical modifications that makes it as light as the TSI ? My limited experience leads me to believe otherwise.

Best - ML
Old 28th August 2012, 17:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Ardy,

Did you change only the flywheel or the clutch plate, release bearing, etc as well?

Anand
Anand,

I got the entire set changed incl Flywheel, Clutch Plates, Pressure Plates, Release Bearing etc.

The first clutch assembly had lasted 68K and since changing, I have driven another 60K and see no signs of wear as of now. Touch wood.

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 28th August 2012, 18:23   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anand,

I got the entire set changed incl Flywheel, Clutch Plates, Pressure Plates, Release Bearing etc.

The first clutch assembly had lasted 68K and since changing, I have driven another 60K and see no signs of wear as of now. Touch wood.

Cheers,
Ardy
OK, so I would tend to think that the new clutch plate and pressure plate made the clutch lighter. BTW, why did you switch to SMF? Cost? The DMF costs around 40,000, I was told...

Good to know you are experiencing long clutch life in general

Cheers!
Old 30th August 2012, 18:05   #42
BHPian

Itchy Trigger Fingers.

Fellow Bhpians -

I am now in a conundrum of whether it makes sense to up the power on the RS or not, she is doing a great job with respect daily driving and my regular morning sprints on open stretch. Could you please share what impact would a stage I have from Pete's on daily driving aspects. I am especially worried from a bottom end grunt perspective, RS is my primary car, but after experiencing a stage II on the open stretch, i am amazed what Pete can do with this car.

My goal will be limited to Stage 1 - Without any suspension modifications.

Advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks - ML.
Old 30th August 2012, 18:38   #43
v&v
Senior - BHPian

ML stage 1 should not have any adverse impact for daily driving.
IMO the issue will be wheel spin in 1st gear.
Old 30th August 2012, 20:02   #44
BHPian

Somre More Pictures

Team - I missed a few angles requested earlier - here goes. Please pardon the picture quality.

Best - ML.
Attached Thumbnails
My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-photo-1.jpg  

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-photo-3.jpg  

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-photo-4.jpg  

My Precious - RS1 - Skoda Octavia vRS. Now Remapped!-photo-5.jpg  

Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 20:27   #45
BHPian

Update: General Update, Odour from Air-conditioning & Hoses

Having spent sometime with RS1, my overall feel with the car has generally improved, i have now been able to better negotiate potholes from a ground clearance perspective and also have better settled with the overall dynamics of the car.

Odour from the Air-conditioning ducts - Now this has been a peculiar problem and i used to only get a peculiar burnt/dusty smell while driving a bit faster. i was doubting a possibility of one of the hoses [Crankcase breather] may be giving up, but too my surprise - The Checked all hoses and gave me clean chit, cleaned the engine bay, cleaned the pollen filter and one more filter which i cant readily recall. The peculiar smell is gone and the best part Mahavir Skoda did not charge me a penny. This is my second experience with Mahavir and I have to admit they really are very professional - i am reasonably pleased with the experience.

Best - ML

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks