Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2013, 16:55   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
How is comfort on Leatherette in summer? Does it get very unpleasant in terms of heat and odor?
Actually true, leather should be there also and not leatherette.

I'm not sure how leatherette is during the summer since I don't own a Jetta. I just drive Ajmat's Jetta whenever I can and that brings a wide grin.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 17:43   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Nice review, nice photographs, nice car. The Jetta is real VFM if you compare it to cars like the Audi A4.

Any particular reason you opted not to go for the DSG version? In Bangalore's horrific traffic the AT would have been a real boon. Unlike old school ATs, with the DSGs you do not loose much in terms of power and FE.

Quote:
  • Jetta Diesel HL MT - Unit price - Rs. 16,09,536.20 (Including Customs duty - Must be about 30%?)
  • VAT @ 14.5% ------------------- Rs. 2,33,382.75
  • Road Tax ------------------------ Rs. 3,47,760.00
  • Insurance as applicable.
  • Interest on Loan as applicable.

Almost 5.8 L (excluding customs duty) is collected in the form of TAX! And this, we pay through TAX paid money! Plus the Interest on the Loan!
God help us! Least our politicians can do is to give us decent roads...
You missed out service tax on Insurance . What you have mentioned is the amount you pay for just buying the car. There's a lot more to come. For running the car you'll have to shell out excise duty, VAT, this cess, that cess on the fuel as well and toll for using highways. Thank your stars your car runs on diesel which is not taxed as much as petrol which some of us poor souls are addicted to.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 20:38   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How is comfort on Leatherette in summer? Does it get very unpleasant in terms of heat and odor?
The leatherette seats should hold well in summer. I found the quality and finish pretty good (in both Jetta and the Vento).

In fact this looks to be a trend with the German manufacturers, for e.g.; Artico man made leather in A/B class (and even C?), and Sensatec leather in BMW 1-series.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 22:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Nice review, nice photographs, nice car. The Jetta is real VFM if you compare it to cars like the Audi A4.
Thanks!

Even Audi A3 looks over priced in front of Jetta.

Quote:
Any particular reason you opted not to go for the DSG version? In Bangalore's horrific traffic the AT would have been a real boon. Unlike old school ATs, with the DSGs you do not loose much in terms of power and FE.
I like MT - It gives more options. I was planning for Comfortline MT, by chance ended up buying Highline MT. AT was never considered.

My usage is 50% City and 50% Highway. Problem with AT is driving gets very boring. As it is, due to excellent safety features of Jetta, driving is effort-less / event-less. With AT added, I could fall asleep!

Quote:
You missed out service tax on Insurance. What you have mentioned is the amount you pay for just buying the car.
  • Save 32L - Pay 30% Tax on 32L. Only then, one can buy a Jetta.
  • Deduct road tax, VAT and Customs duty - VW gets only 11L for a Jetta.
  • In this bargain, buyer gets 11L worth product, after spending 22L.
  • Buyer is unhappy, since basic features are omitted in a 22L product.
  • Seller strives hard to protect his margin.
  • In the end, Government is the winner - Sitting pretty with 200% share.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 17th September 2013 at 23:02.
Chethan B G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 10:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Chetan on a fine buy. Though I do not agree with some of your comments about the new Octavia. Overall the new Octavia is much superior product with better engines than the Jetta even with the multi-link suspension which supposedly gives better highway drive and is more durable on our pot holed roads.

But for now you should enjoy the Jetta which is fine product overall but not really cost effective IMHO. Seeing the cost you paid for this makes me realise what a good deal I got on my Superb Elegance with an on-road price of just 18.4Lacs. Karnataka is really squeezing money out of its car buyers.

Last edited by dkaile : 18th September 2013 at 10:56.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 10:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Chetan, congrats for an excellent upgrade. Though I am little sad, that your Polo is sold. Our Polos were more like twins delivered at same showroom at same time.
I think you got a good deal on the Polo for a 3.5 years old car.

Last edited by poloman : 18th September 2013 at 11:01.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 16:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Chetan, what are the black switches on the roof panel?
Quote:
Emergency service request (completely down condition), Breakdown service request (restricted usage) & Scheduled service request - Switches provided to communicate with the service center through 3G / 4G network - But any way, dummy switches for us in India.
Dear Ajmat,

Sorry - I have given you wrong information. This happened since I posted exactly what the Service Coordinator informed.

I have found some information in a separate manual provided for Mobile Telephony. It says like this:

3 button module in the roof: Telephone controls
  • Switch marked as "exclamatory mark" (press and hold for 2 sec to activate) - Information on value added services such as traffic & travel
  • Switch marked as "Screw driver symbol" (press and hold for 2 sec to activate) - Breakdown assistance
  • Switch marked as "Star" (press to activate / deactivate) - Voice control activate / deactivate

Checked First Switch - Dials 008008655792436
Checked Second Switch - Dials 00800897378424
Checked Third Switch - Voice control prompt does not come on - I need to recheck (not sure if this works only on RNS510).

Will have to see if these numbers can be changed to local ones, through VAG...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congratulations Chetan on a fine buy.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chetan, congrats for an excellent upgrade. Though I am little sad, that your Polo is sold. Our Polos were more like twins delivered at same showroom at same time.
I think you got a good deal on the Polo for a 3.5 years old car.
Thanks!

Poloman, While at Eagleton, I remembered our last visit. Parting with Polo was sad for us too.

Polo-twins can lead to a Jetta-twins? Think about it!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 18th September 2013 at 16:38.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 17:34   #23
BHPian

Congrats for the Jetta. A sensible upgrade over the Polo. White does resonance with the no nonsense image the car possesses.
Buying is a car surely is a big pain in Bangalore with the tax rates touching the roof. But, nevertheless it is now time to enjoy the car.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 09:38   #24
BHPian

My son-in-law owns this car,(for their company).My daughter told me that it was scrapping the spead breakers everywhere.
Is there any change in ground clearance in later models ?
Old 21st September 2013, 23:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats for the Jetta. A sensible upgrade over the Polo. White does resonance with the no nonsense image the car possesses.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuraja View Post
My son-in-law owns this car,(for their company).My daughter told me that it was scrapping the spead breakers everywhere.
Is there any change in ground clearance in later models ?
IAFAIK, there has not been any change in GC since launch.

I have driven the car for about 600 Kms now. I have not had any problem with GC.
Old 22nd September 2013, 00:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

What a fine upgrade! Congratulations on the Jetta I loved this car when I took a TD of it. Wish you a happy ownership period with your car.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:52   #27

Quote:
Requirements for Leather seat comes before HID's...?

To be frank, stock headlights and fog lamps are quite good with respect to brightness, coverage and throw.

First of all Congratulations. I too am a proud owner of jetta highline AT 2013 make.Took the delivery in january this year.
I dont mind the Leatherette as it doesnt feel sub-standard and hasnt been unpleasant in summer.

But i have a totally different experience when it comes to lights. Fog lamps are decent but the headlights are just not upto the mark. Have never found this issue with any of the cars i have driven till date. There is simply no functionable visibility at night especially while driving on the highways without streetlamps and oncoming traffic.& to top it,VW has unbelievable warranty terms.

Cheers.
Aniket_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 19:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
What a fine upgrade! Congratulations on the Jetta I loved this car when I took a TD of it. Wish you a happy ownership period with your car.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket_N View Post
First of all Congratulations. I too am a proud owner of jetta highline AT 2013 make.Took the delivery in january this year.
I dont mind the Leatherette as it doesnt feel sub-standard and hasnt been unpleasant in summer.

But i have a totally different experience when it comes to lights. Fog lamps are decent but the headlights are just not upto the mark. Have never found this issue with any of the cars i have driven till date. There is simply no functionable visibility at night especially while driving on the highways without streetlamps and oncoming traffic.& to top it,VW has unbelievable warranty terms.

Cheers.
Thanks!

I had a 70% visibility 3M sun screen on my Polo Wind-shield. I was used to this, coupled with Polo's head lights and fog lamps. Compared to this setup, what I have seen on the Jetta is a lot better. I have not had any visibility issues during night with Jetta. But, I am not used to other bigger cars like you are..

By any chance, did VW change anything in this setup (say bulbs) after January this year? This will be interesting to know...
Old 22nd September 2013, 20:45   #29
BANNED

Congratulations on the best looking car in the segment and My God, I just can't my eyes off this beauty and lovely pictures you have posted I must say.

The car has simple interiors with the right blend of colours which doesn't look gaudy and out of place. Hats off to VW

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 21:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

RCD 510 is very basic.

BT pairing with smartphone is seamless. Media (SD Card) and Ipod integration is good. All functions are simple to use. Sound quality is acceptable for light back-ground music.

When switched off - System will automatically come-on during a phone call and goes-off after the call completes.

One drawback is that the display can not be turned-off, while listening to just the music. SMS reader is unavailable.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image000a.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image000b.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image000c.jpg

3 Button module on the roof: Pre-set telephone numbers could not be changed. May-be, VW will provide this option in one of the software updates.

Voice control does not function - Could work with RNS 510, as per Manual.
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00001a.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00001b.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00001c.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00001d.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00002.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00006.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00006a.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00009.jpg

Switch illumination - Brightness can be varied.
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00009a.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00011.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00012.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00012a.jpg

Dead pedal is a waste:
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00012b.jpg

Buttons have been replaced by hooks to hold the floor-mats in place.
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00012c.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00012d.jpg

Poodle lights:
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00012e.jpg

MID provides a lot of data and also number of features can be set through it:

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00012f.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00013.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00016.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00018.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00018a.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00021.jpg

Garmin GPS Navigation - Navi 50LM: India Map from MapMyIndia costs 4.5k and works well. Friction mount at $18 is well worth the money.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portabl...ref=pd_sim_e_3

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00023a.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00023b.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00023c.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00030.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-image00030a.jpg
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks