Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 00:57   #61
BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

The 40-60K estimate is for the new Jetta Comfortline not very sure what difference there are between the present and pre-facelifted models. According to her auto leveling will be there but I am not too sure about adaptive lights or the washers.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 09:00   #62
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT - Test Drive & Ownership Report - Now with Bilsteins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The upgrade will be around a lac, and not 40-60k as mentioned above. Also its not as simple as plug and play. Sensors will have to be added to the suspension for the auto levelling, and to the steering for the adaptive lights (may not be needed). Also the windshield washer bottle will need to be changed, and extra pipes added for the headlamp washers. And the bumper may also need to be changed for the washers.

So not a very simple upgrade, but doable.

What cornering feature is there in the present set up. As far as I know the Jetta doesn't have any cornering headlights (present xenon versions do).
Thanks!

I don't think it is worth all the trouble.. Or is it?

What Jetta had is cornering fog lamps. Sorry for the confusion.

5th page in the file below: "8WH Front fog lamp and cornering lamp".

Courtesy Wildon! : WVWE13164DA550521 - My Jetta.pdf
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 10:08   #63
Team-BHP Support

Chethan Sir, nice snaps there. Glad that the Jetta has been pampering you with the comfort and performance.

I just noticed, you have stuck an NFC tag here -

Is the tag programmed to activate the car mode for your device? What device do you have and what mode does it enable?

I have a Lumia 920 which has NFC but couldn’t find any cheap tags locally that could be programmed. The Bluetooth of my device remains ON 24x7 so whenever I step into the car, the car HU (RCD320) pairs with the phone automatically with a small beep alert. I am planning to get a few tags shortly.

One more thing - does the boot gate have a provision to get out of the car from the inside by inserting the key into a slot like the Polo? This is a fail-safe mechanism in case the power doors do not unlock themselves in the event of an emergency and the passengers are stuck inside the car.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 18:12   #64
BHPian

Hi Chethan, thats a crisp ownership report with some wonderful pics of what is the segment best car IMHO. Wish you thousands of miles of joyous driving experience with the beast . Wanted to ask if you could post a bigger picture of the luggage hook showing more details of how & where it fits exactly. I would definitely like to have this one fixed one on my Vento too. Thanks.
Auto Verruckt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 23:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I just noticed, you have stuck an NFC tag here -

Is the tag programmed to activate the car mode for your device? What device do you have and what mode does it enable?
Thanks!!

You are right - That is an NFC tag from LG. I have an LG-P880 Smartphone with Android 4.1.2 ; NFC is always ON on my mobile and it does not consume much power. Phone comes with 3 NFC tags - They can be used for Home, Office and Car. I have used one tag for my car. Tag is programmed for WiFi and Ringer to go OFF, BT and Mobile data to come ON.

It is very convenient to use, since the setting can be changed with just a swipe. While getting out of the car, an extra swipe will get all the settings to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
One more thing - does the boot gate have a provision to get out of the car from the inside by inserting the key into a slot like the Polo? This is a fail-safe mechanism in case the power doors do not unlock themselves in the event of an emergency and the passengers are stuck inside the car.
This safety feature is provided:

First the ignition key needs to be inserted in to the slot shown below and slided, to release the latch locking the seat. Than the seat can be folded to gain entry in to the boot.
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-1.jpg

If the cap shown below is removed (by hand), a key-hole can be accessed. Again ignition key can be used here, to release the boot-lid.
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Verruckt View Post
Wanted to ask if you could post a bigger picture of the luggage hook showing more details of how & where it fits exactly. I would definitely like to have this one fixed one on my Vento too. Thanks.
Thanks!!

This is available cheaper at Amazon. It is a direct fit on the Jetta and does not require any extra hole. Should be easy to fit it on a Vento too...

Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009A11ZCM/...I1T3BM3TB7PIDS

Hope the below pictures help:

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-3.jpg

VW Jetta 2.0 TDI HL MT - Now with Bilsteins and Pete's Remap! EDIT: Now sold!-4.jpg
Chethan B G is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 00:26   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Thanks!

I don't think it is worth all the trouble.. Or is it?
What Jetta had is cornering fog lamps. Sorry for the confusion.

5th page in the file below: "8WH Front fog lamp and cornering lamp".
The xenons are certainly far better than halogens. And combined with the cornering function, and the better brightness and throw they are great. Whether they are worth the asking, that is up to you to decide.

The cornering fogs will be there after xenons, as they take care of speeds below 40kmph I believe.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 13:40   #67
BHPian

In the US, xenon lamps with washers are provided only for vehicles with 'winter package'. Other vehicles get xenons without the washer arrangement. I think washers will not be required for the south Indian climate.

@Chethan doesn't the HU play any video files?
Old 30th November 2013, 13:55   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
In the US, xenon lamps with washers are provided only for vehicles with 'winter package'. Other vehicles get xenons without the washer arrangement. I think washers will not be required for the south Indian climate.
I believe headlight washer system is mandatory with xenon headlamps.
Old 30th November 2013, 22:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
@Chethan doesn't the HU play any video files?
HU does not play any video files - It does not take DVD's too. But other than that, things are fine. I am happy with the SQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Only in Europe...?

Head lights:

Changed all 4 bulbs to Philips X-treme Vision with stock rating - H7 55W. Total cost Rs.2,700.

Double barrel head lights - Allows the design of separate reflectors, for low & high beams. This provides far better focus for both beams. On highways, while using high beam, low & high beam comes ON simultaneously and gives a good spread and throw.

I am happy with the overall illumination - Comfortable to drive.
Old 2nd December 2013, 16:47   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am not sure if the rules here (i.e. in India) mandate washers for vehicles equipped with HID lamps but regardless of that, manufacturers seem to provide washers on cars equipped with them. That's a good thing I guess.

But turns out, not all xenon lamps need washers. Here's an excerpt from a blog:

Quote:
It is a widespread fallacy that headlamp washers are only compulsory for xenon lights. This is wrong on several counts. The latest generation of xenon, the 25-Watt version, doesn’t actually need one at all. Meanwhile, halogen and LED headlamps do need one if their light sources emit more than 2000 lumens. Indeed, this is required for ECE approval. (Under the DOT regulations in North America headlamp washers are not mandatory at all.)

These do not refer specifically to xenon, but as no approved halogen lamp exceeds this threshold value and as this also is the case with most LED systems, only xenon headlamps are, in fact, affected in practice. They emit around 3000 lumens.
A CLEAN BEAM: THE PURPOSE OF THE HEADLAMP WASHER SYSTEM
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 07:17   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

I am happy with the overall illumination - Comfortable to drive.
Hi Chethan, posting here since I'm suddenly unable to send you pm's. I'm planning to buy a car from the Mysore dealer also and was wondering if we could chat. Would you recommend them? Where have you serviced your car in Bangalore? How has the service experience been?
Old 7th February 2014, 10:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Hi Chethan, posting here since I'm suddenly unable to send you pm's. I'm planning to buy a car from the Mysore dealer also and was wondering if we could chat. Would you recommend them? Where have you serviced your car in Bangalore? How has the service experience been?
Hi!

They are a nice group of people - Though I would say about average in technical knowledge. I would recommend them.

I got my first 7500Kms free service done in Mysore. They were pretty good. I also have good experience with VW Palace Grounds (RJR enterence). Service should not be a problem.

All the best!
Old 2nd March 2014, 18:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

An update: ODO @ 11,500 Kms

1. First free inspection service was done at 7,500 Kms on the ODO

2. Checked engine oil level and added about 300 ml.

3. First and the only puncture till date, on Eagle NCT-5 was at about 10,000 Kms on the ODO.

4. Eagle NCT-5 has been very good on grip levels. Road noise is not much, except on concrete roads which is unbearable.

5. Excellent brakes and high speed control - Absolutely no drama at any speed. Thrilling to drive.

6. Ride quality is excellent. I had been on a long trip (1400 Kms round trip) to Rameshwaram with family. My parents sitting at the back were delighted.

7. On one occasion, in a crowded street in Shivaji nagar, a bull wandered backwards and banged the right-side rear fender of the car. Feeling the impact, I thought that a major damage had been done. Luckily, there was not even a single scratch or a dent. Build quality is superb, to say the least.

I am wondering weather to wait until 15,000 Kms OR get the first oil change service done at around 12,500 Kms. I had got the first service for my Polo at about 12,000 Kms.

Any suggesting on this will be helpful. Thanks in advance!!
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 15:13   #74
BHPian

Hi Chetan, how is your fuel efficiency in the city, considering you live in Bangalore?
Old 6th April 2014, 00:13   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Hi Chetan, how is your fuel efficiency in the city, considering you live in Bangalore?
I am getting an FE of 12-13 in the city and about 18 on the Highway..
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks