Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2024, 15:31   #1651
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 530d is rocking & rolling in its 11th year on the road. Been using her quite a lot around Bombay, and also had 1 enjoyable highway run with her in the last month.

The upgrade itch has started a little bit, but the 530d's endearing qualities (looks, reliability, comfortable suspension, deadly engine, deadly gearbox, opulent cabin) are making it tough to justify spending big bucks on an upgrade. So, I'm going to hold that thought for now and focus on investments instead. Other than the fact that she is 11-years old, there is absolutely no reason to sell her off. She is extremely satisfying to drive calmly in the city, extremely fast on the open road and is extremely dependable. Old BMWs that have aged well have a different kind of charm on the road. Plus, I do get my petrolhead fix from driving all the new cars launched in India.
Hey GTO, completely agree with you that these old BMWs age like fine wine. Here is my 328i which will be completing 10 years soon and with only 29000kms on ODO feels like a 3-4 year old car.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-2886abc3967c4f08965d7a32c8f61718.jpg  

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd May 2024 at 15:37. Reason: Trimming the quoted post to include only the relevant bits for better readability. Thanks!
Maverick07 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 12:03   #1652
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick07 View Post
Hey GTO, completely agree with you that these old BMWs age like fine wine. Here is my 328i which will be completing 10 years soon and with only 29000kms on ODO feels like a 3-4 year old car.
Beautiful machine, Maverick07! So well kept. The 328i is a wild car with acceleration that matches the stock 530d. Great mod potential too.

Two Team-BHP Mods from Bangalore own pre-worshipped 328is as well .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 18:39   #1653
BHPian

Quote:
29000 KMS!
@Maverick07, that's insanely low amount of kms considering the duration of ownership.
Looks really clean!
ishlinea7260 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 11:50   #1654

Hey GTO,

We have a 2013 320d with just 14500km on the clock. If you ask why the mileage is so low, its because my father is often too worried to take it out on a drive for two main reasons -

1. Age and stereotypes
He thinks that because the car is old that something is going to break on him if he takes it on a long journey.
When I ask him why he doesn't take it for a drive to Goa, he thinks that its too dusty and stoney to take a car such as the BMW, even though its far suited for Goa roads than Mumbai.
He also thinks that the ground clearance is too low, and often insists that an SUV is better, even though the short wheelbase allows it to clear most bumps when driven with a little more attention than an SUV.

2. Bad Service Experience
I can vaguely remember my father having a bad time at the Navnit workshop, with delays, overcharging, and problems after sending it to the dealer which were not there before.
He's also heard a story from a family friend, who had his 530d flooded which certainly doesn't give him peace of mind.

Bar some interior trim age, the condition of the car is mint with a regular service history and has been maintained and driven in a truly Parsi owned fashion.

My goal is to convince him to enjoy the car for as long as it can operate, with its brilliant dynamics and punchy and smooth drivetrain.

You too are based in Mumbai, so I wanted to ask you which workshop you trust to send your car to, my thought is if I could have the car inspected thoroughly for regular items of wear and age, and known parts which can fail, to convince my father that the car is in good condition so that he can finally enjoy it on the long journeys that it was designed to handle with ease.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-june-17-edit.jpg  

Last edited by Yohan Poncha : 25th June 2024 at 12:19. Reason: improving readability
Yohan Poncha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 19:20   #1655
BHPian

The BMW 530d just completed one and a half years of being in the garage I thought I'd share my experience of having owned the car.

Buying process and inspection:

Back in December 2022 I was lucky enough to pick up a very well maintained example of our 2012 BMW 530 d M Sport. The car had gone to the BMW dealership for each and every service in the last decade, so much so that even the tyres had been changed at the service center. While handing over the keys the owner told me the key fob battery seems to be low, please ensure to get it changed from the dealership only. That was enough to give an insight to the history of the car. I of course saw a video on YouTube and swapped the battery out myself.

In hindsight the decision to pay higher than market price for an old car has yielded dividends in the form of peace of mind over the past year and a half of ownership. Can't stress this enough that its always better to pay more upfront and get a clean vehicle in the first place. You would think you're saving up money if you're getting a steal deal but there is nothing like a cheap car. The odds are you'll probably end up spending more money, time and effort on the car over the years.

Post buying preventive maintenance

The car was taken to an independent workshop and the following work was done:
  • Transmission oil for the ZF 8 Speed Gearbox was changed
  • Engine Flush
  • Engine Oil
  • Oil Filter
  • Air Filter
  • Front Disc Pad
  • Brake Fluid
  • Engine Mounting LH & RH
  • Suspension overhaul including Front bush kit, tie rod & end set
  • Swapped out the old Run Flat tyres to Pirelli Cinturato P7.

After a few months I got a call from BMW dealership stating that there was a recall for the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) cooler and I should visit the dealership as soon as possible. For a car that is more than a decade old its very reassuring to know that the company is still taking efforts to iron out the issues that have cropped up over time. The EGR cooler was replaced the same day and the bill came out to be almost 1 Lakh Rupees. Not a single penny was charged for this work.

Design

In terms of design language the F10 series seems to be more of a successor to the E39 series and the same has been taken forward to the next G30 generation.

The car still looks relevant today simply because every generation (up till G60 series) has seen an evolution of the same design language. For instance I captured this picture of three 5 series models, starting out with the my car with the LCI facelift F10 and the G30 at the back.

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-all-three-gens-bmw.jpg

Even though these three cars are around 10 years apart but to the not so discerning eye, the silhouette seems pretty similar.

Mods done till now

The car is now running a Stage 1 remap from Quantum tuning UK. The difference a simple software flash can make is astonishing. It now makes a claimed 310 BHP and 650 NM of Torque.

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-stage-1.jpg

The HP figure is itself impressive for a four door family sedan but the torque at 650 NM is truly amazing. To put the Torque figure in perspective, the 530 d produces more Torque than many supercars like the Porsche 911 GT3RS (465 Nm), Audi R8 V10 (560Nm), Lamborghini Huracan Sterrato V10 (560 Nm).

The original BMW kidney grill has been swapped out with an aftermarket blacked out grill with the M Sport color combination. Initially wasn't too sure of the M sport colors on the grill but the look has grown over time and it definitely makes the car look fresh.

Other than one cosmetic mod and the ECU remap, the car is stock and has more than enough power to enjoy on the weekend drives.

In April we took the car on a roadtrip from Chandigarh to Jaipur and onwards to Jodhpur, considering that the road network in Rajasthan is generally very well maintained. A 1600 KM journey on a 12 year old BMW, (in the tone of Jeremy Clarkson) What could possibly go wrong...

Before hitting the road got the spare tyre pumped up to the correct pressure and also made sure to get the wheel alignment done.
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-wheel-alignment.jpg

Started out the journey with smooth tarmac on the Ambala-Narnaul Expressway.
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-jaipur-smooth-highway.jpeg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-driver-pov.jpg
Driver POV

Even the roads which were apparently in the middle of nowhere were also very well maintained.
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-roads-middle-nowhere.jpg

This was the longest trip we had done at a stretch with the 530d and the car performed superbly all-throughout the journey.
In Jaipur we set the location at a popular lunch spot and Google maps made us enter a lane which was supposedly meant for two wheelers only. There was so much of traffic in both directions that we had to navigate our way through extremely narrow lanes.
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-jaipur-tiny-lanes.jpeg

After some time the inevitable happened and ended up scratching against a knee guard protruding from a Royal Enfield and the car now adorns a battle scar on the left passenger door.

The rest of the trip remained uneventful, here are a few pictures:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-fuel-stop.jpg
At a fuel stop

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-ajit-bhawan.jpg
Posing in front of Ajit Bhawan

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-raas-view-mehrangarh-fort.jpg
At RAAS Restaurant with the view of the majestic Mehrangarh Fort.

The return journey of 750 KM was done with only 3/4th Tank of Fuel, that means a realistic range of 1000 KM +.
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-odometer.jpg
An average speed of 81.5 KMPH and the fuel consumption was 15.2 KM/Lt.
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-trip-meter.jpg

After returning got the car polished back to its old glory.
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-front-view.jpg
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-rear-view.jpg
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-side-view.jpg

Here is my list of positives and negatives for the vehicle:
POSITIVES
  • The N57 6 cylinder engine is butter smooth and produces impressive power & torque figures
  • ZF 8 Speed Gearbox is lightning quick and makes for a perfect match
  • The fuel economy is impressive and I have got up-to 17KMpl with no efforts to conserve fuel-the fuel average is not very sensitive to throttle input, unlike modern turbo petrols
  • The engine and gearbox both have proved themselves to be super reliable. Never issued a single issue/breakdown till date (touches wood).
  • For a 12 year old car, it has aged very well and looks relevant even today
  • The adaptable suspension is the best of both world that gives the flexibility to chose the ride stiffness while not bothering with the issues that plague air suspension(case in point Audi A6)

NEGATIVES
  • Terrible space management, the rear legroom is cramped
  • Interior parts quality: I have broken the AC vents while trying to fix a phone holder
  • Meaty rear tyres measuring 275/40/R18 are hard to source and expensive

There is a reason why used N57 engine and ZF 8 Speed gearbox are now a popular engine swap option for old Land Rover Defenders:

Overall, its been a pleasure to own and drive the car. It is the most powerful car that we have ever owned and ironically is also the most fuel efficient in the current garage. I have driven it for only 8000 KM but not a single warning light has ever come up on the dashboard which is pretty rare considering how infamous the BMW warning chime is on social media.

So I hope this post inspires you to be on the look out and take the plunge as and when you find that unicorn example of a car you aspire to own.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-passenger-pov.jpg  

Last edited by Jagatvir : 7th July 2024 at 19:32.
Jagatvir is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 17:04   #1656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagatvir View Post
So I hope this post inspires you to be on the look out and take the plunge as and when you find that unicorn example of a car you aspire to own.
Lovely post. I have been looking for an F10 530d for a very long time and nearly pulled the trigger when my Scorpio N booking came through.

Two of biggest concerns I have are that:
1) NGT scare is real. Though I do hear that well-maintained mid-high germans are often treated with a bit of leniency in rest of NCR (except Delhi)

2) I keep hearing things that one can drive but cannot register a 10+ year old diesel car in Lucknow (UP)

I can just hope that NGT falls apart some day and I get to drive a 530d
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 19:05   #1657
BHPian

Congratulations for.your 530d m sport. I must say that the car is a hoot to drive and own.. did you face any low ground clearance issues while driving the car. Even I was lucky to get my Egr cooler changed while i gave my car for pre inspection. how much did the Pirellis cost you?
Civic_doc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 04:56   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jagat for sharing. Its one of my dream car. And as you said your post have reignited the fire and desire to own one of these German beauty. These are machines which are head turners even after decades and will remain so for foreseeable future.
Old 11th July 2024, 09:22   #1659
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohan Poncha View Post

You too are based in Mumbai, so I wanted to ask you which workshop you trust to send your car to, my thought is if I could have the car inspected thoroughly for regular items of wear and age, and known parts which can fail, to convince my father that the car is in good condition so that he can finally enjoy it on the long journeys that it was designed to handle with ease.
My car BMW 3GT (same 320d engine as your dad’s car) toggles between going to Infinity for A.S.S. and Redline Autohaus (I’m sure you’ll locate them via google or insta). With my car now past 8.5 years, I think it’ll lean a lot more to Redline though.

Incidentally my 3GT had also the infamous issue of the blackening of the door handles a few years ago. I had got these changed from Redline at that time, since official BMW was more expensive as I recall. Worked like a peach and it’s still going fine.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 14:07   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
29000 KMS!
@Maverick07, that's insanely low amount of kms considering the duration of ownership.
Looks really clean!
Thanks! I take out the 328i only for highway drives that too when there is no forecast of rains. Sad part is i will have to part ways with it in next 3- 4 years due to NGT rule in NCR.
Maverick07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 15:35   #1661
BHPian

Quote:
Back in December 2022 I was lucky enough to pick up a very well maintained example of our 2012 BMW 530 d M Sport.
Simply stunning.

It seems like you were able to strike the deal directly with the owner. But any chance you had any agent/dealer involved?

Do you mind sharing, if yes?

And also, are you maintaining it at the company ASC or any independent garage?

Request to mods: Please delete/move the post if irrelevant to the thread.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th July 2024 at 10:13. Reason: Spacing for readability
ralto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 17:39   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
Sad part is i will have to part ways with it in next 3- 4 years due to NGT rule in NCR.
Please do let me know if you have any plans to upgrade by the 14th year.
Old 23rd July 2024, 22:22   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
Lovely post. I have been looking for an F10 530d for a very long time and nearly pulled the trigger when my Scorpio N booking came through.

Two of biggest concerns I have are that:
1) NGT scare is real. Though I do hear that well-maintained mid-high germans are often treated with a bit of leniency in rest of NCR (except Delhi)

2) I keep hearing things that one can drive but cannot register a 10+ year old diesel car in Lucknow (UP)

I can just hope that NGT falls apart some day and I get to drive a 530d
Thank you! The NGT rule is possibly the only reason why I'd be compelled to let go of the car soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic_doc View Post
Congratulations for.your 530d m sport. I must say that the car is a hoot to drive and own.. did you face any low ground clearance issues while driving the car. Even I was lucky to get my Egr cooler changed while i gave my car for pre inspection. how much did the Pirellis cost you?
The ground clearance although has not been an issue but it's something that one has to be careful of especially because of the 18" rims on low profile tyres. The other end of the spectrum is my Jimny running on stock steelies with an Ironman setup, you just don't need to bother at all. The Pirelli's were for 90k for all 4 tyres, not faced a single puncture on the tubeless tyres although I carry a spare wheel for precaution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosailor View Post
Thanks Jagat for sharing. Its one of my dream car. And as you said your post have reignited the fire and desire to own one of these German beauty. These are machines which are head turners even after decades and will remain so for foreseeable future.
It's a great car indeed, someone should compare the Octavia VRS 245 with the F10 530d, you get so much of car for your money with oodles of power and the advantage of the beamer being RWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralto View Post
Simply stunning.
It seems like you were able to strike the deal directly with the owner. But any chance you had any agent/dealer involved?
Do you mind sharing, if yes?
And also, are you maintaining it at the company ASC or any independent garage?
It was a direct deal that through OLX with the owner who happened to stay very close by, no agents in between. It's being maintained by an independent garage for it's annual maintenance.

Last edited by manson : 24th July 2024 at 01:02. Reason: Deleted extra blank rows.
Jagatvir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 00:57   #1664

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishkashyap View Post
My F10 in NCR is now getting close to end of life :( Just done only 53k. A sad moment!
I am planning to send it to Mumbai to my sister.
Wanted to get advice from the community here:
Should I be getting it registered again in MH or it can continue to be driven with an HR number plate? Has anyone else moved their car from Delhi (NCR) to MH or any other state where the ban does not hold good?
I was involved in getting a Fortuner re registered from Delhi to Hyderabad. We paid around 11% of Invoice value as road tax amount for 9 years old car which came up to 2.5 lakhs.

Last edited by manson : 24th July 2024 at 01:00. Reason: Typos.
puntolover is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed