Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2023, 21:42   #1546
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Now, here are my concerns and questions
I would pass on this car. There’s no such thing as a cheap BMW. And this one has not been loved enough, sadly. Pay a bit more, and get a cleaner example, or be prepared to pay through your nose when (not if) troubles crop up.

Sure, the starter button is easily replaced. But that screen will have you in a world of pain. I think your iDrive’s operating system is CIC, as my 2012 F30’s is.

Mine too went kaput after having been parked in the sun by the previous owner. Finding it was a colossal pain. Everyone had NBT screens and better. No one had CIC. I had to get it shipped in from Dubai, and even that was a used screen with light wear and tear, as you can imagine. There were literally no OEM options locally. Sure, you can get a Chinese unit, but I would not mess with a German’s electronics (headlights, screens, etc) by going aftermarket.

As for ascertaining the car’s condition, take it to BMW if you really do want it (why though?) and have them scan it for you. That itself will reveal to you the car’s true state. And if the dealer is not keen to do so, well, you know why.

Honestly, look elsewhere. With Germans, preventive care is the best care. The horse has bolted the stable on this one. Don’t think you can tame it and get it back inside. Walk away.
iliketurtles is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 23:46   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
How can you be attracted to this car? C'mon. You can do better. F10 is already super depreciated with plenty of supply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I would pass on this car. There’s no such thing as a cheap BMW. And this one has not been loved enough, sadly. Pay a bit more, and get a cleaner example, or be prepared to pay through your nose when (not if) troubles crop up.
Thanks guys...

I was only getting tempted due to the insanely low asking price (less than 15L) and lifetime road tax...

But all your points make sense.
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 07:44   #1548
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does BMW offer this service?
Absolutely. Just tell them you want a full transmission fluid change. There is a ready kit, with filter and all.

Quote:
The driver's seat leather is worn, and overall, the interior has deteriorated. The switches have faded, all 3 screens in car have degraded and cracked. The dealer claims it's due to the car being parked in the sun.
Looks very abused. The F10's interiors have very slow wear & tear. Mine still feels like new. The single fault area are the door handles (of the doorpad) which go bad.

As other BHPians said, best to avoid this car. There are many F10s in the market and almost all are well-priced.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 10:54   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagatvir View Post
Here's the latest acquisition, is it just another impulsive decision or is it a vehicle that will sketch long lasting memories, only time shall tell.

Would like to get suggestions if I should go ahead with a stage 1 remap. If yes,
(a) what are the possibilities of the reliability being affected?
(b) I'm situated in Chandigarh, who should I get the remap done from?
Get used to the car and learn its flaws and strengths first. Go for a remap after you have made some physical hardware changes. A remap basically teaches the car's computer how to use the hardware changes properly. Doing it while stock doesn't give you as many benefits as tuning companies claim. Mostly it just makes the accelerator pedal more sensitive.

Quote:
Thanks guys...

I was only getting tempted due to the insanely low asking price (less than 15L) and lifetime road tax...

But all your points make sense.
100% this car has been abused or been in a flood or something shady. You can find plenty of better kept 530ds in NCR region going for less than 10L if you really want a cheap bimmer as a project car. Re-registration won't cost you as much as you think.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th May 2023 at 15:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 20th May 2023, 14:21   #1550
BHPian

Need guidance from Bhpians

I reside in Pune. My 530d, model 2013 with symmetrical 4 wheels needs new tires. My use is about 5k km / year, mostly in city. On Highways, I rarely exceed 130 kmph.

I need guidance on
1. Which tires to go for? I have used Run Flats for 15 years (on 320d + on 530d). And, I am happy with them! But, willing to consider Tubeless, if economical.

2. I will be visiting Mumbai. Who are recommended tire dealers? I am particular about tire manufacturing date, and dealer should be able to offer fresh tires.

Any advice from experienced Bhpians is highly appreciated.

Thanking all in advance for your time & guidance.
Old 21st May 2023, 19:43   #1551
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva View Post
Which tires to go for? I have used Run Flats for 15 years (on 320d + on 530d). And, I am happy with them! But, willing to consider Tubeless, if economical.
I am currently running Dunlop tubeless on my car. Cost about 70k for a set of 4. For the 530d's staggered setup, you won't find too many options & will have to go with whatever is available.

Quote:
I will be visiting Mumbai. Who are recommended tire dealers? I am particular about tire manufacturing date, and dealer should be able to offer fresh tires.
Saifee Tyres, followed by Premjis are my favourites.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:12   #1552
BHPian

Quote:

I appreciate any advice you can provide on this matter.

Honestly I dont see this as a 40K kms car. I seriously think that the dealer is lying to you. Obviously you can run a check at BMW for the mileage accuracy. But even if its true, which i highly doubt, I would stay away.
Old 22nd May 2023, 15:46   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
Honestly I dont see this as a 40K kms car. I seriously think that the dealer is lying to you. Obviously you can run a check at BMW for the mileage accuracy. But even if its true, which i highly doubt, I would stay away.
Agreed. Not proceeding with this car.
Old 3rd June 2023, 15:13   #1554
BHPian

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20230603_092554.jpg

I request help from Bhpians.

Attached is the image of my 2013 f10 headrest. The button to move headrest back & forth has fallen off and lost. The headrest is stuck in max front position.

How to - 1. Move headrest back? 2. BMW dealer unable to supply button & fix this. What to do?

Thanking you in advance in anticipation of a quick response.
viva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 16:20   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva View Post
Attachment 2458619

I request help from Bhpians.

Attached is the image of my 2013 f10 headrest. The button to move headrest back & forth has fallen off and lost. The headrest is stuck in max front position.

How to - 1. Move headrest back? 2. BMW dealer unable to supply button & fix this. What to do?

Thanking you in advance in anticipation of a quick response.
Try this link on amazon, not sure if it's a button or a cover.

https://amzn.eu/d/4LWNIAP
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 20:34   #1556

It’s time to replace the shoes on my 530D. Currently running a 17 inch -225-55-R17. Since I am changing, I was considering upgrading the wheels to 18. Like GTO and many of you have already said in the past, I feel 45 profile tires are asking for trouble on our roads. Has anyone tried 245-50-R18 or will that rub the inner walls? Looking for advice. Thanks!
Old 14th June 2023, 07:25   #1557
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimatum View Post
It’s time to replace the shoes on my 530D. Currently running a 17 inch -225-55-R17. Since I am changing, I was considering upgrading the wheels to 18.
Stick to R17s only. I ended up with so many bent rims that I actually bought an extra set of OEM rims from OLX. Two of my bent rims were repaired so much that they had to be retired and became structurally weak.

Indian roads aren't for big wheels + low profile tyres. Especially if you have frequent highway runs.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 22:03   #1558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Stick to R17s only. I ended up with so many bent rims that I actually bought an extra set of OEM rims from OLX. Two of my bent rims were repaired so much that they had to be retired and became structurally weak.

Indian roads aren't for big wheels + low profile tyres. Especially if you have frequent highway runs.
Where do you get the rims repaired? One of my Grand i10's rims is leaking air as it got bent. Currently using the tyre with tube as the tyre shop guys said they won't be able to get it repaired. When enquired at the Hyundai ASC bodyshop, their reply was the same. Another rim was chipped off a bit due to my mistake in judging the size of a boulder while coming out of a narrow lane. That particular rim needs refinishing, I guess. New rims cost around 7000. But I don't want to spend that much on rims as tyre change is due.
Old 10th July 2023, 11:21   #1559
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKat View Post
Where do you get the rims repaired?
- Akshay @ Redline AutoHaus has arranged it for me.

- Premjis Tyre Shop @ Mahim.

For the 18" wheels on the 530d, it would cost between 3 - 5k per repair.
Old 15th August 2023, 14:36   #1560
GTO
Team-BHP Support

10th-Year Service Update

How the owner & the car both look now:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-dsc01431.jpg

Sent the 530d to the workshop (Redline Autohaus) after 1.5 years! Just love BMW’s reliability, no issue at all in the longest time. The odometer now reads 56,000 km and there were a lot of things done. At these once-a-year visits, I get everything fixed, even the smaller stuff. This goes a long way in enhancing the “feel good” factor of your car.

Only the best for her as I intend to keep it for at least another 2 years, if not 3. It’s fast, fun-to-drive, luxurious, feels special, is reliable & has what is among the best diesel engine + AT gearbox combinations in the world. I am actually retaining the 530d for longer than I’d originally planned.

• Full service performed with engine oil change etc.

• The front foglamps had become dull, with the left one completely fogged up & yellow’ish. Got them replaced to maintain the “fresh” look of the car. It’s important to take care of all fixes, big & small, to maintain your car in top shape - link to my article on the subject (Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape).

• As is the case with most German cars (especially BMWs, Audis & VWs), the AC vents keep breaking. This time, it was the central ones at the front. Had them replaced.

• The subwoofer was crackling at really loud volumes, leading to undesirable sounds (like rattles). I thought its the driver doorpad that needs to be refitted properly, but turns out, both the subwoofers were a bit torn due to the car’s age & my high-volume R&B music. The subwoofers have been repaired & I’m very happy to update that the original sound quality is back, with no crackles or rattles at all!

• The black roof lining was sagging at the rear and had started dropping. Akshay told me the best solution is to replace it (not repair). Went ahead with it.

• RHS wiper spray wasn’t working (left one was). Fixed.

• Rear seatbelt (one behind the driver) doesn’t clip in. Parts awaited. Will be fixed at my house once the parts arrive.

• Suspension, brake pads, discs and wiper blades were checked and they got the all-clear. No work required.

• Total cost was Rs 66,500 + GST. Other than this, the expenses have been 10 – 12k every 6 months for exterior & interior detailing. Not bad for a 10-year-old 6-cylinder German luxury car.

• That being said, the annual average maintenance costs still fall in the Rs 1 – 1.5 lakh range (if I look at all the bills of the last 5 years).

• BMW’s auto-wipers SUCK and are simply unable to handle heavy rains. I move to manual operation which weirdly is faster most of the time. Worse still, the auto-wipers have very poor sensitivity levels in light rain. Several times during a light drizzle, you want the wipers, but the auto-wiper won’t kick in.

• The rear tyres (Dunlops) have worn out and will need a replacement soon. It’s 15,000 km since I got them. Too early, but the remap (650 Nm / 300+ BHP), my heavy foot and the soft tyres themselves are to blame. Another problem with these Dunlops is the high rate of punctures! Every year, I’m getting 2 – 3 punctures which is really absurd – never got them with my other tyres or cars.

Nice shot from a working breakfast @ Birdsong Cafe (incredibly laptop-friendly place):
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20230802-09.03.55.jpg

Sitting on the tail-gate of a Toyota Hilux. All these test-drive cars ensure that my own cars average just 5,000 - 6,000 km a year:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20230724-12.08.11.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 15th August 2023 at 17:13. Reason: Correction
GTO is offline   (89) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks