Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2022, 11:59   #1396
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What is FM ?
fellow masochists? Ha ha. members I guess.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 14:35   #1397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Another point = I don't know whether it's my driving style or the 650 Nm torque or the Pirellis, but at 10000 km, the rear tyres have already lost a noticeable amount of grip (like 30'ish %). The car's butt now slides around too easily. It actually caught me out the other day = was in the rightmost lane and gunned it in 2nd gear. Slid a bit too close to the divider for my comfort. Going to be watchful.
Just pointing it out so others buying these kind of cars are well aware of the costs.
Completely agree on the Pirelli's. I still have a decent amount of tread left given the car's ultra low running (13K in 4 years), but since a while I've noticed the tyres lacking grip - more so on slightly wet cement roads like the one of the freeway. Have had my tail slide out entering the tunnel during a quick overtake - within speeds limits and in comfort mode - just because a wet patch popped up on a completely dry winter day. Caught me totally off guard.

Waiting to replace them with either the Continental SC5 or Michelin PS4 this year.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 15:01   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't the TC prevent the low grip sliding or does BMW's system allow a little bit?
Old 20th January 2022, 15:07   #1399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Doesn't the TC prevent the low grip sliding or does BMW's system allow a little bit?
TC kicks in once the slide has started. It did kick in and sort out the car.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 20:17   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
I would like to know FMs opinion on these cars and the right price. And also on the larger question of "Does buying F10 makes sense anymore?".

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I am in the market for GT 3 series and consulting with my friend who is a manager of leading used car showroom in Bangalore. Few suggestions from him for us to follow.
1. You should buy it from 1st owner (2 reasons - you are 2nd owner and while you need sell, it is bit better than you being 3rd owner, less number of drivers)
2. Do a thorough background check and get vehicle service history + next service cost from BMW showroom (Navnit).
3. Don't just rely on your own knowledge to asses the car's condition and ask the expert to give you what's in store ahead for the car. One of the car I test drove had some engine problem which I couldn't observe. So rely on good expert and pay for his inputs.

4. If the vehicle doesn't have full history of service from bmw dealership, walk away from it. Unless the car is from well known source and you trust them + they give you the bills of service for you to verify.

5. No point in getting from other states as re-registration is costly and the first owner only gets the refund from RTO and it takes longer to get money back from govt and then from the first owner. If you opt to pay yearly tax here without re-registration, that's extra cost and how long you can do that with out paying life tax is a big question.

As far as the value, if the car is in good condition, calculate depreciation for a 5 year old one, 50% or 55% of invoice value (ex showroom price (including VAT/GST)+Road tax) - exclude first year's insurance and other changes.

BMW 5 series are 4 seater with adequate rear seat comfort. If you have family members who is going to sit at the back, test drive with them in the car and get to know about their comfort.

All the best for you to get a good pre-worshiped beauty like GTO's..

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th January 2022 at 20:19. Reason: broken quote tag
BrakingBad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 11:57   #1401
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Went out for a long + lazy Sunday lunch. Full house, so took both the cars out. At lunch, a plan for Goa was made and I instantly said "yes". If the dates match, we'll be doing Sunday to Sunday Goa, as always. What made me smile is, the car will be 9 years old in 2022, yet I have full faith in its reliability for a 2000-km roadtrip. Wasn't the case with my 9-year old C220 which was just so troublesome.

Would strongly recommend Perch. And yes, great parking always . Both cars seen in the first shot:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20220213-15.13.36.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20220213-15.13.12.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20220213-15.12.54.jpg
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 17:37   #1402
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Quote:
Among the many hidden menus is one that shows you the onboard voltmeter (thanks to Androdev for pointing this out). 12.65v = 100% and 11.89v = 0%, thus my battery has worn out about 50%. Once it drops below 12v, start looking for a new battery:
Hi GTO!
Could you possibly shed some more light on this? Or perhaps point me towards a thread that describes the same?
I’ve been breaking my head over it and have not been able to find this!
Old 19th February 2022, 09:23   #1403
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
Could you possibly shed some more light on this? Or perhaps point me towards a thread that describes the same?
Of course! Here's a link to Androdev's post explaining the same.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 15:18   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Of course! Here's a link to Androdev's post explaining the same.
Oops! A little too close for comfort I think!
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-59d2cf1e3e65438dafbd21ea60e8ee0f.jpeg  

Old 21st February 2022, 09:16   #1405
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oops! A little too close for comfort I think!
I read somewhere that the F10 warns you when its time to replace the battery. But be doubly sure, I have also heard of an F10 owner who parked someplace, and then his car wouldn't start again (in like 30 minutes of switching off). Reason = battery gone.

Had a wonderful weekend drive. Also played a little bit with 2 VW Virtus I spotted. The 530d is just such an incredible expressway machine. The engine + gearbox + sheer depth of engineering makes me smile on every long drive:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-vw-2.jpg

Even after so many years with the car, I keep discovering new things. The latest = as a safety feature, the ORVMs won't fold in at speeds above 20 kmph. How I discovered it? Was overtaking a crawling truck on an incline. Gap was narrow, so I tried to fold in the ORVMs just in case. Didn't happen. Later tested at slower speeds & found out about the <20 kmph condition.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 11:12   #1406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even after so many years with the car, I keep discovering new things. The latest = as a safety feature, the ORVMs won't fold in at speeds above 20 kmph. How I discovered it? Was overtaking a crawling truck on an incline. Gap was narrow, so I tried to fold in the ORVMs just in case. Didn't happen. Later tested at slower speeds & found out about the <20 kmph condition.
It's a Standard BMW Feature, I too discovered it a few months ago on my E90.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 04:38   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
The ZF8 gearbox is mind-blowing good. Say I'm cruising in D8 at 110 kmph and want to suddenly overtake. I push the throttle all the way in; before I even reach the end, it's already dropped from D8 -> D4 in an instant!!! By the time the throttle is buried, the car is in D3 and already flying. The engine + gearbox still make me grin, after so many years of ownership.
Since you’re mentioning the gear ratios in D mode here, I’m assuming you still have the map on the gearbox? I’d read about you being concerned over the heavy oil consumption and you wanting to return to stock on the GB earlier in the thread. Any updates on that?
humbleroadster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 12:05   #1408
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since you’re mentioning the gear ratios in D mode here, I’m assuming you still have the map on the gearbox?
Still running both remaps. Haven't had oil consumption concerns since my last post on the topic. But I will remove the remaps if it comes up again.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 12:20   #1409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The ZF8 gearbox is mind-blowing good. Say I'm cruising in D8 at 110 kmph and want to suddenly overtake. I push the throttle all the way in; before I even reach the end, it's already dropped from D8 -> D4 in an instant!!! By the time the throttle is buried, the car is in D3 and already flying. The engine + gearbox still make me grin, after so many years of ownership.
Shift feel in ZF8:
Quote:
All sequential upshifts and downshifts with this design involve just releasing one shift element and engaging another. In engineering literature, this is referred to as a "clutch to clutch" shift. Many skip shifts are also possible in the same way, e.g. a shift from Eighth to Fourth involves releasing brake A and engaging brake B while leaving clutches D and E engaged. This transmission therefore shifts very quickly. If the torque converter is replaced by a launch clutch, this transmission would be equivalent to a dual clutch transmission.

A shift from Reverse to 1st and vice versa is also a clutch to clutch shift. So when you are trying to execute than 7 point turn, this transmission will behave much better than the ZF 9 speed transmission. The ratio spacing is pretty much perfect as well.
Source:
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...eed-automatic/
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 13:45   #1410
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And yes, great parking always
Just had to share this pic. Looks menacing, the way it was parked. Had gone for lunch yesterday. All other cars in the basement, but a small tip ensures I get the best spot. The lone car in this driveway. The style in which the valet guy parked it makes me think he's an enthusiast too

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20220313-15.56.57-2.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20220313-15.57.32.jpg

She's always got to jump in front of the camera!
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20220313-15.57.14.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2022 at 13:46.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks