Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2007, 23:11   #166
BHPian

Kuttapan, Even I am facing issues with the reverse gear. Sometimes it just refuses to engage, and I have to apply force to engage it. This is despite being adjusted during the first service.
Old 26th July 2007, 08:44   #167
Senior - BHPian

horsepower the trick i found out is not to apply force to engage it, but hold the gear shift by the top and just drag it to reverse position, it gets easy to slot around with. perhaps sometime i can post a video of this thingy.
Old 26th July 2007, 12:10   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Horsepower... I know its mentioned before, but when reverse gear will not easily select, have you tried returning to neutral, letting out clutch, depressing clutch and trying again?

I have found this necessary on many cars I've driven over the years.
Old 28th July 2007, 14:45   #169
Senior - BHPian

Also, try shifting to 1st or 2nd and try reverse again, it will engage.
Old 28th July 2007, 14:55   #170
Senior - BHPian

I thought the reverse gear problem was only WagonR specific. Seems like it has found its way to Swift as well?!
Old 28th July 2007, 15:10   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it is a function of there being no syncromesh on reverse --- on any car
Old 28th July 2007, 15:17   #172
BHPian

sounds too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
as for the gear shift, i observe that slotting into a gear in the car is a two step process, 50% you give a mild push, and 50% it automatically slots in. if i use it this way, its very smooth and good. but if i try to pull/push the stick in to slot into a gear forcibly, my shoulder pains a lot.
This sounds like nothing ever heard of. Please get the gear box checked and check seating position w.r.t gear shift comfort. I suspect you are sitting too close to steering.
Old 29th July 2007, 10:33   #173
Senior - BHPian

sreenivass, gimme a break, any more farther i sit from the steering, i d be in the back seat i am going to check this up at 5k service.
Old 29th July 2007, 22:25   #174
BHPian

Couple of Updates

1. Bought 4th Yr/80K extnd. warranty for 2600Rs
  2. Installed a base ICE set up for 10K
  3. Gone for seat covers 2350Rs. (Fabric+art leather combo)
  4. Completed 2400Kms, looks like gear changing got better and also less cluttering noise (not sure this is because of 2500 kms running or first time IOC Xtramile fuel)
  5. Had back pain in the beginning, with a help of a small support in the lower back and added cushion due to the seat cover it is gone now.
Old 30th July 2007, 10:11   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I thought the reverse gear problem was only WagonR specific. Seems like it has found its way to Swift as well?!
Sx4 as well !! MUL what are you doing?

BTW, people say that release & press clutch again - this may not be possible always (when you are in hill or so, there could be vehicles behind/front of you).

I try this: keep clutch pressed (with brake also as applicable), shift gear to 3rd or 1st and then try engaging reverse without releasing clutch - this works for me!!
Old 30th July 2007, 11:34   #176
Senior - BHPian

gear shift and clutch are the most important things in a car. only if these are ok can you start thinking of driving comfort. sometimes people need to learn from hyundai and give good gear shift clutch and even a dead pedal. i mean its a matter of a few rupees more to give a dead pedal and none of the cars have it!
Old 30th July 2007, 11:41   #177
Senior - BHPian

my tyre pressure went down after the long trip and some amount of driving in bangalore, after a month now. so filled upto 32 psi again today. the brakes are making a noise everytime i use them. its like a pronounced "kooooo" sound, guess they need some kinda oiling or something.

this is one thing i need to put up with my car. sounds sounds and sounds galore.

is this a coincidence? well maybe yes!!

Old 30th July 2007, 11:57   #178
Team-BHP Support

Drove my friends Swift DDiS two days back!

And was that an experience. What a car! Interestingly, the car is the first in trivandrum and yet, there was not much irritating rattles or anything. Rattles were there, but the car is overall quiter than many of the other cars i have driven. And the NVH levels seem very impressive.

Drove with windows closed with ac on and NO Music, something i wont do in the smaller hatches (like mine) with noises all around.
Old 30th July 2007, 23:52   #179
BHPian

For guys who are facing problem with their gear, I have only one advise, please go to a reputed service center and get it checked. It might be specific problems with your cars only. Toucwood, my swift's gears are like a breeze. Effortless and Fast shifting.

Though totally agree with geeksirk, they could have given dead pedal, also could have added left OVRM to LDi and rear wiper to both version.
Old 31st July 2007, 01:45   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Airbags. They could have included airbags...

The could have given all sorts of things, but the name of this game is cutting the spec down to the price, I'm afraid.

The other side of the coin, of course; every extra little thing added means a higher price to pay for the car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed