Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 13:48   #226
BHPian

Hi guys
the email address is wrong
the correct one is gmi.cac@gm.com resend it here.
REgards
Sudarshan
Old 24th July 2008, 12:32   #227
BHPian

finally after 9000kms and 6 months i manage to get a first scratch, today moring while i was heading towards office, on a signal santro scratched the my cars bumper while he was trying to overtake from the left side and taking a right turn...moment he relized his mistake he push the throttle and ran away....poor guy!!! he didnt know what i was driving...it took me min to catch him and then I scared the sh-- out of him...scratches were not to big or deep either so didnt fight much let him go...but still it hurts....scratch is scratch
Old 24th July 2008, 15:46   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
...but still it hurts....scratch is scratch
it hurts bad and one cannot do much about it either, part of driving.

BTW a question popped up - Does regular waxing help or are they just a waste..?
Old 24th July 2008, 16:14   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
it hurts bad and one cannot do much about it either, part of driving.

BTW a question popped up - Does regular waxing help or are they just a waste..?
i have done the 3m treatment on my magnum, which avoides the scratches...wax does help if the scratches are minor....there are things like Formula1 kit for removing scratches which dilutes the surrounding paint and mixes the with scratches....i have tried that, it works but again for minor scratches....no solution for deep ones, only touch up is the solution.
Old 24th July 2008, 19:33   #230
BHPian

I have been considering buying Optra Magnum for a while. I have read nearly all the posts on Team-BHP about Magnum. Finally I took a test drive of Magnum a while back. I drove it around Greater Noida including a portion of expressway. Must say I have come back very impressed with the power and handling of this car. I must admit I am not the sort of guy who looks for sheer performance in a car but I was overwhelmed. It just takes off like a rocket when you press the accelerator.

I did not find the car lacking in anyway while driving in low rpm/gear. The test car had only 6000 km on the odometer. I could drive the car comfortably at 100 kmph in 3rd gear and then bring it down to 20 kmph without lowering the gear. Another feature pointed out to me (and tested by me) by the person accompanying me from Shiva Motors (Noida) was that you can put the car in first gear and car will move smoothly without any pressure on accelerator pedal. Also, with a little acceleration once you have put it into 2nd gear, it keeps on moving on its own even when you take off your leg from accelerator pedal.

There was no cabin noise even at high speeds and you could not tell whether it was a diesel or a petrol engine. Ride was very smooth and comfortable. Braking was efficient and so was the AC. I found the cabin to be spacious and seats comfortable. The position of controls (turn indicators and wipers) on the steering is little akward and takes time to adjust to.

I am also tempted to consider Civic as an alternative to buying Magnum. I have noticed not so nice feedback about Honda's ***, costlier spare parts/service, and soft suspension (low ground clearance). Also, Civic is much costlier (Civic V AT versus Magnum LT) and being petrol will be costlier to run. Of course, it is a very good car in its own with a higher snob value, is better looking and excellent resale value.

I will be grateful if owners of Magnum could reassure me about long term running and maintenance of Magnum with their ownership experiences. Hope I am doing the right thing by opting for Magnum LT instead of Civic V. Like I said earlier, I am not a performance seeker but want comfort, reliability and less running costs (in short, mental peace).
Old 24th July 2008, 23:25   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchounal View Post

I will be grateful if owners of Magnum could reassure me about long term running and maintenance of Magnum with their ownership experiences. Hope I am doing the right thing by opting for Magnum LT instead of Civic V. Like I said earlier, I am not a performance seeker but want comfort, reliability and less running costs (in short, mental peace).

Though not long term, I have driven magnum for 3500 Kms now and i love it the way i did when i test drove it first. I think the power delivery in the new magnums are much smoother and i can vouch that there is absolutely no or minimum turbo lag in my car (Jun 2008). The fuel economy is great ~13 in city. Turning radius is great, handling is not so great but still good.
and the power! its brutal.
For me magnum was the obvious choice, practical. Hope you make the right decision too.
Old 24th July 2008, 23:52   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Ithat you can put the car in first gear and car will move smoothly without any pressure on accelerator pedal. Also, with a little acceleration once you have put it into 2nd gear, it keeps on moving on its own even when you take off your leg from accelerator pedal.
Thats common with most common rail diesels,ive tried it with swift,verna and elantra.
Old 25th July 2008, 00:25   #233
BHPian

I too am saving up for the MAGNUM

I too am saving up but have put off the purchase till they rectify the problem of the oil sump peeking out of the under body guard. No way that I am going to buy the car in the present oil sump position especially for KERALA ROADS. This time the monsoons have been very weak and hence the roads are not all that bad but that will not be the story the coming year. Will indefinitely wait for the oil sump guard to be rectified/repostioned and till then be happy with my GTX.
Old 25th July 2008, 02:03   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
No way that I am going to buy the car in the present oil sump position especially for KERALA ROADS. .
I was told that the oil sump problem is fixed in the new models, thought i havent verified myself. Also im not sure if a pothole can damage the oil sump. as i have driven it on the worst roads in kerala and never had the underbelly scratched. Maybe a rock or an uneven hump could.
Old 25th July 2008, 12:39   #235
BHPian

Many thanks kris905.

Is the oil sump position an issue with Magnum?

The dealer (Shiva Motors, Noida) told me that both Auot Climatic Control and usual AC options are available on Magnum LT. However, the Auot Climatic Control costs 20000 extra. Is that true? Chevrolet web sit prices don't make this distinction.
Old 25th July 2008, 22:58   #236
BHPian

Not a longterm experience on my part as well. just completed around 9000 kms with no issues at all. NO discussion about power etc but you can expect a very comfortable ride as compared to others in segment and as for the reliability aspect iv had a pretty good experience with my other chevvy optra (petrol) so i had no worries about it either.getting a mileage of 13-14 in the city with 100% ac though looking forward to winters and hoping to get around 15 (no ac ).

cost of running was an issue with me as well @ vchounal while i was considering my purchase and therefore had to avoid civic (low gc as well) and other petrols in all cases and in this part of country we have been blessed with the most awful roads you all could imagine . (civic with avg of 10 - approx Rs 6 per Km, magnum with avg of 13 - approx Rs.3 per Km)

BTW what is the oil sump issue, i really don't get it ?? the reason i asked this is coz i drive on one of the worst roads you could imagine and i am still to figure out the problem . Guys clear my doubts .

Last edited by beanstalk_230 : 25th July 2008 at 23:17.
Old 26th July 2008, 11:22   #237
BHPian

Many thanks beanstalk. I am definately going for Magnum LT. I am buying through CSD canteen and will get a decent saving on the price. I am not unduly worried about resale value as I intend keeping the car with me for at least 5 years, if not more. I don't think modern diesel engines like the one in Magnum will cause me problems even after 5 years. I don't visualise driving more than 15000 km per year but maybe Magnum will induce me to drive more.
Old 26th July 2008, 20:45   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post

BTW what is the oil sump issue, i really don't get it ?? the reason i asked this is coz i drive on one of the worst roads you could imagine and i am still to figure out the problem .
Well there has been a thread in the forum with one of the magnum owners hitting the underbelly and damaged the oil sump.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...sign-flaw.html

ACC is a good option in long rides and i believe it is worth the price. I was told by the dealer that all LTs will come fitted with the ACC from August. Not sure if that is an option to choose.
Old 26th July 2008, 20:59   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks beanstalk.
C'mon that is what this ownership report thread is all about. Btw all the best for your purchase.

And yep which colour ??
Old 27th July 2008, 10:58   #240
BHPian

I wanted black colour but my family members are dead against it and it would be very difficult to go against their wishes. I think I will go for Platinum Metallic. Not sure how does Sparkling Diamond look.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks