Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2008, 02:50   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
thanks for that. helps me plan things better.

Aaha! So thats whats happening! Crucify me and call me a polluter, but is there some way I can get around this, without compromising on reliability and performance?
Roam around the technical section more often. The solution has been given in this post(with pictures et al) - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/967833-post104.html
Old 30th November 2008, 06:06   #392
rippergeo

thank you texappan
I'm putting up 2 links that I found on google that claim to solve/reduce this problem. anyone willing to try it? anyone saying dont try it? please let me know. I'm off to peter to see if he'll do this for me.

1.Envalve
2.Crankcase Filter Modification

I found link 2 to be more doable. but I hope this is not one of those "snake oil" cures.

I'm not doing this without more info and discussion. should this be split off and made into another thread?

Old 30th November 2008, 22:46   #393
BHPian

hi jaggu,

Can you please brief me on the rpm band in which you shift your gears for your DDis.please give me the rpm band for all gears,Total KMS covered as of now and the FE details you get for that kind of drive.

to start with i shift gears like

1600 -2000 rpm -1st gear
2000-2200 rpm -2nd gear
2000-2200 rpm -3rd gear
2000-2200 rpm -4th gear
2000-2200 rpm -5th gear ( if i reach over 60kph i am switching to 5th gear)

the KMS covered - 1100kms
FE -19.4 kmpl with 99%AC

your inputs will stand as a guide for us, thanks..
Old 1st December 2008, 14:59   #394
Team-BHP Support

Crank case emissions will not leave so much of wet residue in intercooler, the exhaust gas is hot enough to take care of this.

@thereal: Car is close to 25k kms now, planning to give her for an oil change and a comprehensive rattle fix.

I really dont bother too much with RPM nowadays, i get around 16-17 kmpl in city (thanks to moving away from peak traffic these days) and on last highway with my merciless driving got 20-21 kmpl.

The RPM range you posted seems ok for good FE and yes your FE figures are quite impressive
Old 1st December 2008, 18:50   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Car is close to 25k kms now, planning to give her for an oil change and a comprehensive rattle fix.

I really dont bother too much with RPM nowadays, i get around 16-17 kmpl in city (thanks to moving away from peak traffic these days) and on last highway with my merciless driving got 20-21 kmpl.

The RPM range you posted seems ok for good FE and yes your FE figures are quite impressive
thanks jaggu, Since this is the first diesel engine am driving, i really not sure about the RPM range which i can drive..hope i can now start to taste DDis power now after 1100Kms.

I feel doubted as the engine sound increases after 2400RPM, so i just wanted to know till what RPM i can go for each gear, am posting this question again because of my curiosity
Old 1st December 2008, 18:53   #396
Team-BHP Support

You can safely go till 3 to 3.5 k rpm if you are accelerating normally, just that you should avoid mashing the throttle thats all. Maybe increase the RPM limits bit by bit also.

By 2k kms you can further increase this to 4k rpm.
Old 1st December 2008, 20:07   #397
rippergeo

Quote:
Crank case emissions will not leave so much of wet residue in intercooler, the exhaust gas is hot enough to take care of this.
what happens when the crankcase emissions meet the significantly cooler intake charge? and what happens when the intercooler makes the stuff condense inside it?

alright, lets assume that the gas is hot enough to prevent it from condensing...if that is true, why would i want that heat spoiling my intake charge's low temperature?

Last edited by rippergeo : 1st December 2008 at 20:09.

Old 1st December 2008, 20:45   #398
BHPian

Quote:
You can safely go till 3 to 3.5 k rpm if you are accelerating normally, just that you should avoid mashing the throttle thats all. Maybe increase the RPM limits bit by bit also.

By 2k kms you can further increase this to 4k rpm.
thanks Jaggu for your valuable inputs
Old 1st December 2008, 22:42   #399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
what happens when the crankcase emissions meet the significantly cooler intake charge? and what happens when the intercooler makes the stuff condense inside it?

alright, lets assume that the gas is hot enough to prevent it from condensing...if that is true, why would i want that heat spoiling my intake charge's low temperature?
My understanding, crank case emissions are very minimal, otherwise how would engine oil last? The valve cover emission happens through a pressure valve, which keeps the loss at minimum.

I have observed this myself in petrol engines. Open air filter assembly of a carbed maruti vehicle and see how much of fume comes out into the air filter chamber. This emission will disperse off fast in the gas flow.

The charge cooling is taken care by intercooler so i dont think we need to worry too much about the intake charge temp.

What am saying is all this doesnt add upto wet intercooler innards or warrants cleaning at 20k kms atleast.
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:01   #400
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
just that you should avoid mashing the throttle thats all. Maybe increase the RPM limits bit by bit also.
Jaggu, after a particular RPM point doesnt the ECU anyway go into WOT mode anyway? I doubt it matters whether you step on the gas or build revvs slowly once its running in open loop?
Old 3rd December 2008, 20:35   #401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Jaggu, after a particular RPM point doesnt the ECU anyway go into WOT mode anyway? I doubt it matters whether you step on the gas or build revvs slowly once its running in open loop?
Am talking about engine (mechanicals) breaking in/running in, how does the ecu come into the picture in that???

Thankfully ECM require very minimal running in :P
Old 3rd December 2008, 20:48   #402
rippergeo

Quote:
My understanding, crank case emissions are very minimal, otherwise how would engine oil last? The valve cover emission happens through a pressure valve, which keeps the loss at minimum.

The charge cooling is taken care by intercooler so i dont think we need to worry too much about the intake charge temp.

What am saying is all this doesnt add upto wet intercooler innards or warrants cleaning at 20k kms atleast.
I understand what you're saying. Thanks for the clear explanation.

the only doubt remaining is- If I actually go ahead and do this mod, do I risk engine damage? All I'm doing is letting the crankcase emissions go out to the atmosphere. I'll be satisfied with whatever miniscule benefit I can get because of the relative ease and low cost of this mod.

Old 3rd December 2008, 20:54   #403
Team-BHP Support

The oil might contribute to engine lube by a teeny weeny bit, but apart from environmental hazard and slightly greasy engine bay near the outlet, no major damage should occur.

The benefit is also really minuscule, i would prefer a total turbo plumbing flushing at 75-80k kms mark.
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:21   #404
BHPian

Maintainance costs

What about the total maintainance costs, if compared with petrol Swift. Confused between the petrol and diesel as the vehicle would be used for only 10- 15 kms per day.
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:57   #405
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Am talking about engine (mechanicals) breaking in/running in, how does the ecu come into the picture in that???

Thankfully ECM require very minimal running in :P
Oh! My bad, didn't read about the running in thing. Normally, I have seen people advocate that you get the car to move quicker by slowly and gradually building the revvs instead of just slamming the throttle down straight once you get enough traction off the line. Thus my explanation about ECU going into open loop etc. Sorry for the confusion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks